“fun fun!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Book Ocean Perks
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
“fun fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I really enjoyed this place, the beach fantastic! pools nice! a little snooty with the whole club people,,, (can eat certain places if not in the time share club)
restaurants great, long long unreasonable wait at the steakhouse and you can't make reservations, first come first serve, you get on the list.
the market is almost next door.
the coffeehouse was great! looked forward to it everyday and every restaurant was really good too! beautiful lobby

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,639)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I just returned from the Ocean Blue & Sands and I will say it was one of the best hotels I've stayed at. The hotel is clean and comfortable the check in was smooth and fast. Our room was excellent right off of the beach. The Entertainment Team was truly amazing 5*+ Alejandro, Candyman, Scooby Doo aka Luis, Juan Ramon, crazy willie Wonka all made our stay truly amazing there was always something to do games happening and the shows were some of the best I have seen especially the lion king show
The food was great the bartenders fast and friendly especially Oscar he's the best!
I will definitely be returning to Ocean sands next year Amazing!

• Stayed November 2014
orangeville, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our 4th visit to Punta Cana & 17th visit overall to the Dominican. We were there for our youngest daughter's wedding. The flight down from Toronto was very good with Air Transat on one of their new planes. When we checked in our name was not on the hotel's list so we had to wait till the rest of the members of our party checked in. It was the hotel's mistake and not our tour operator. They gave us a room in Building 4 which was close to the pool and mid way between the lobby and beach. The room was a good size and was kept very clean. Only problem was the maids did not clean the room quite often till 5 or 6 even when we put the sign on the door as early as 8.00 am. and one night we didn't even get it cleaned as the maid came just when we were getting ready for evening meal. We just handed her the tip anyway. Food was very good and we liked the idea that most of the a la cartes were all together in a row. There was lots of choice for food at the buffet which was very good. We liked the Italian the best and did not like the steakhouse at all. Also it was v. hot in the steakhouse with no a.c. Did not get chance to try the Mexican but others in our group said it was very good. Route 66 was also v. good and I was pleasantly surprised as I usually don't like that type of food. Didn't see much of the entertainment except for the Michael Jackson show and felt that it lacked continuity. Was disappointed that Karaoke was so late at night as we are early risers so don't stay up late. The the grounds were immaculate but one of the few negatives was the standing water in several pools near the restaurants which attracted the mosquitoes. I had my bug spray but was still eating alive more than any other resort we have stayed at. I even got bitten in the lobby and I think at that time they were little midges or gnats. The only other negative was the beach and it was too small. The little huts were much too close together so there was no privacy and the Balinese huts that were on the privilege section were a bit more separated but still very close. Also there was no snorkelling as it was not very clear and the waves v. strong. This was a disappointment to me. We are usually beach people but this week we stayed by the pool. The pools were lovely with quite a lot of umbrellas for shade. I have saved the best for last and that was Mike's Coffee Bar. We loved it in there and particularly the servers, Argentina, Angel and Tomas. Argentina always had a smile on her face and was so cheerful. Our family wedding on the beach was very lovely and thanks to Sara for her help. Oh, and we were not bothered once by the time share people. All in all the Ocean Blue is a lovely resort with friendly staff, nice pool, clean rooms and great food.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Well where do I start I've been all over the Caribbean on all inclusive holidays with most of the big names being covered but this year my wife and I wanted something a little bit different not radically different just not one of the normal big well known resorts so we opted for HD10 Ocean Blue and Sand resort and boy am I happy we did! Read on if your interested in a fantastic holiday at affordable prices!

I have travelled the Caribbean a fair bit and have been to the Dom Rep on 4 other occasions but this place was a most welcome surprise. When my wife and I arrived we were quite shocked to find a completed questionnaire in our room presumably fill in by the last occupants. It made quite worrying reading stating that all the staff were rude the food was OK but they thought it was well overpriced and would not come back nor recommend anyone! Not want you want to read on your first couple of hours in a resort!

I now think it was just a wind up because for the 2 weeks we stayed I never found anyone of the staff to be anything but friendly and warm with smiles on there faces all the time and this includes the whole range of staff, right down to pool cleaners and Gardner's.( and before anyone says you must have been a good tipper? I never tip until the last day)

Now down to the nitty gritty after all that's why your still reading!
ROOM: our room was in block 9. ( Note every afternoon 4.30pm till 5.30pm tea, coffee and cake is served outside this block only ) Very nice good size on the first floor, A/C worked fine maids did a very good job room always clean and beds turned down evey night, another nice touch is every evening you are left "Ocean post" in your room which is a daily news and events page for the following day. Bath was a bit old but nice and wide making for plenty of room to shower. Shower that was above bath very powerful. You were supplied with clean towels every day and a good range of toiletries should you need them ( a toothbrush and paste, hair and body wash, shower cap, soap, comb, mouth wash, even a shaving kit) I have been in 5* resorts that don't offer that much. The Safe in the room is free.
BEACH: nice and long you can walk for ages BUT the way they have arranged the sun loungers is terrible they are arranged in rows of about 15x15 so depending on the row your in its like a penguin colony , so close together it must be a real pain to move bit like going to the pictures ( we never used them) its a shame as there is plenty of room to have nice sun shades with a couple of beds underneath each one like the other resorts along the beach have done in fact like every other place I have ever stayed has done!
FOOD: buffet really good food always fresh and a very good selection another big plus is the buffet is air conditioned which is a big plus and not always to be found I hate sweating while I eat.
Restaurants, this was the first resort that I have been to that you never had to pre book certain restaurants, I originally thought this was a great idea, I changed my mind when I found out you needed to turn up about an hour before you wanted to eat then wait in line for a table I'm on holiday I don't want to wait in line, needs changing to the reservation system much better. Everyone I talked to had good things to say about all of the restaurants and the steakhouse was very good.
MIKES COFFEE SHOP: is worth a space all on its own, Fantastic idea and a charming feel to it, the coffees and chocolate they serve wouldn't be out of place in any of the top end high street coffee shops 10/10.
RESORT: very clean and well kept, swimming pool large and very clean plenty of sun loungers free towels. More than enough bars and a good range of drinks even if you don't pay the extra for privilege which I think is not worth the extra cost, the small piece of privilege beach you get is still boxed in like a penguin colony albeit with posher sun loungers and your room has very little different from standard rooms, you do get rattan chairs and table on your balcony instead of plastic! Lots of day trips on offer although I didn't do any as done most before and went mainly for a rest which I got. The resort even has a bowling ally which is something I have not come across before and is a big plus especially if you have youngsters with you. There are tennis courts and all the usual things to do on the beach and round the pool. The Gym is OK with everything you could want although the running machines could do with a service as they tended to slip. There is a spa and sauna but I feel $55 is a bit steep for a massage.
ENTERTAINMENT: was very good and of a good standard again the staff work very hard.
KIDS CLUB: I never used as my kids are in their 30s but it looked fun.
STAFF must mention some by name as they were brilliant and you you can get to know them but as I have already said all staff were really good but a special mention must go to Willfredo, Fanny, Yasir, Winston, and all the Staff in Mikes Coffee Shop.

SUMMING UP: This resort is small enough to be personal you get to know the other guests ( if you want to of course,) you can walk to any part of it without problems although there are plenty of buggies that will take you anywhere you wish to go on the resort should you wish to use them the resort is well worth the price and you could pay a lot more for a lot less believe me. Its not 5* but it does not profess to be. Staff are a joy and go that extra mile. Look no further if you want a great holiday without breaking the bank.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I have always avoided "all inclusives" but my nephew chose to have a destination wedding, so I was on board. His hotel of choice was Ocean Blue and Sand, Punta Cana.
The hotel upon arrival, was very impressive with its open air lobby and colorful, oversized, figurative, sculpture.

Check in was quick, everyone; particularly Jonathon, was professional and knowledgeable. We climbed into the tram and were whisked away past beautifully manicured lawns, tall palms, and I was taken with the cleanliness of the property. The entire time I was there, I never saw any trash on walkways, near the pool or in any dining area.

My room, which was more suite than plain room, overlooked two of the bluest, largest pools I have
seen. The view was lovely. Huge palms were near my balcony on the second floor.

Venturing to the beach left me somewhat disappointed. I've seen a lot of Caribbean beaches and this would not be one of my favorites. Having said this, l must say the sand itself is baby powder fine and a pleasure to walk on. Walking near the ocean, there was a lot of debris and even with a reef for protection, the water was rough. None of this bothered me as I'm not fond of swimming in the sea. As a matter of fact, not a lot of people were in the water.

The main restaurant, which was the "hub" of dining, was always clean and offered indoor or verandah dining. There was a great variety and food stations offered new fare everyday. Something for everyone. The beach bar and restaurant was fun and again, good food. The specialty restaurants were fine and somewhat better then the main dining room. All in all, it is not "gourmet dining", but no one said it would be. It's fresh, tastefully done, substantial and enjoyable. The shows were fun, not Vegas performances, but you're not in Vegas. Have fun with what's there.

Vendors; of course. No one pesters you. You smile, acknowledge their presence, if you don't want to buy, move on. Timeshare salesman. Its a timeshare resort. Again, thanks no. Move on.

My nephew's wedding on the sand was perfect. The white gazebo, the background of azure blue water, the light breeze, a perfectly blue cloudless sky, made the day a fond memory. Everyone was thrilled. The bride was beautiful and we were all delighted to be there.

If this resort does anything better other than the day to day routine, it's weddings. At least this one.Would I recommend Ocean Blue? Yes. Would I go back. I think I would, but maybe now that I've done an all inclusive, perhaps I'd give a different location a try.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Buxton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We traveled on 11/10/14, this is our 5th time at the Ocean. A very warm welcome from our Dominican family again as we walked through the door to our second home. One of the main reasons we return the way we do is the people we know and love, apart from the weather and hotel we are so relaxed from leaving our home to arriving in our piece of heaven.
As always check in was quick, as was the baggage been delivered to our room. Even tho we didn't the room we would have liked it was clean, made and ready for our arrival.
We found the food as good as ever but maybe not the same choices as before but when you cater for a lot of people it hard work so Thank you to the kitchens for the good food. While we were there my husband had a birthday so I went to Guest Relations and met Migel who was more than helpful in arranging a cake to delivered to the steak house after our meal ( he also booked the table for me, so no waiting for a table) nice touch for his birthday so again a BIG THANK YOU to the staff for that.
Also huge THANK YOU TO Sexy Black, Bienvendo, Luis, Martires, Raquel, Maria, Rosa, Eddy, Sosa, Celeste in the lobby bar
Bernardo, Yohan, Henry, Reynaldo, Francisco, on the pool bars
A lot of the waiters in the restaurants but Thank you to Pedro and Oscar at the beach restaurant for our warm welcome and keep us well watered!!
Then not forgetting the Animation team who all work so hard. A huge shout out of Thanks to my good friend Alejando who we love to see, as well as mini me, super Juan, Hector ,Chocolate and we can't forget Willy. we also need to say thank you to Alejandro the life guard who is also a part of our Republic Dominica family. We love you all and miss you.
As always we found the hotel to be clean, with everything we wanted and needed I understand that each persons needs are different and we all want different from each other which is why I have not gone about everything as we expect what we like and it may not be anybody elses choice but the ocean suits us,
A very relaxing holiday Thank you Ocean Blue and Sands we are looking forward to our next trip to see our second family.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We recently come back from two fantastic weeks in this beautiful Hotel (31/10 to 14/11). Special thanks for Alejandro Willie Wonka n ChocoLatte they are great entertainers and made our trip extremely fun and a great credit to this hotel. Ryan is superb Photographer and would 100% recommend his work! The waiters/waitress in all the restaurants work soo hard to please and are genuinely polite and happy people. Tom Cruise (Rafeal - Mexican Restaurant) left a lasting impact on us both and we would like to say thanks - My Spanish is improving due to him :) The hotel itself is everything you could want and more, we stayed in Block 9. Pools was great the Bar tenders were faultless and the Food was soo nice. Selection of activities is fantastic and the hotel really comes alive on weekends when Locals visit. It was our first visit to the Caribbean and this Hotel and Beautiful island has left such a lasting impact we cannot find a place we would prefer to visit next year so will be coming back soon! p.s there is a lovely an romantic beach hut perfect for proposing to your loved ones - really made our visit special :) - Once again Thank You Ocean Blue you was Great!!

Room Tip: Block 9 and 5 are perfect Higher Levels are better :)