“fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Book Ocean Perks
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
“fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We went with a party of 19. All family kids included. The hotel was beautiful. the rooms were clean and very nice. the food is fair. it is normal for the islands. the service was great. we had fun at casino and the lobby bars. only thing I wish they would do is have a soda machine in the buffet area. it is so hot in the morning waiting for waiter service to get a cold drink was annoying but, besides that the overall trip was excellent and would go back here in a second. loved it.

Room Tip: all rooms very nice
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GuestServiceOBS, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Kathy H,

We are pleased to know that you had a wonderful time here at Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. On behalf of all our team we would like to really thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel for your vacation and also for sharing your valuable experience with others through Trip Advisor.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,634)
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

A group of 40 from Toronto and 40 from Vancouver went to this resort last week for my nephew's wedding and everyone at the resort went out of their way to make it a memorable trip for ALL OF US, not just the bride and groom.

The resort itself is stunning to look at and the grounds are immaculate. The rooms are large, cool, airy, modern and well equipped. Each has a jet bathtub so bring your fav bath products. The fridge is stocked daily with loads of water, pop and beer. I left a couple of dollars inside with a note asking for milk for my tea and they accommodated me immediately. The beds are pillow top with heavy linen sheets and it was every so comfy for sleeping.

The pools are gorgeous and so is the beach. Unfortunately it's so hot down there right now that even the pool was warm and not very refreshing. That's not the resort's fault - that's mother nature! :-) The pools are so beautiful and well kept. Each (they are big and side by side) has it's own swim up bar with premium alcohol. I cannot fault the bartending staff. They were fast, efficient and polite with a plethora of awesome cocktails just waiting for you to try! Both the pools and the beach have loads of chairs but shade is a bit scarce.

The food was really, really good. They have a buffet at the beach for breakfast and lunch with so many choices. The Main buffet is open 3 times a day. There's always something cooking at the pool BBQ each afternoon. One can NEVER go hungry. Mike's coffee shop is open for those who want a frozen coffee, a frapp, a capp or just a plane old coffee. The donuts are delicious too! They have a great sports bar that you can always get pizza or sandwiches for a late night snack. My husband and I went to 3 a la cartes and loved each of them although our fav was the Steakhouse. The Mexican was delicious and the Mahi Mahi at Blue Moon was amazing.

There is snorkling, a casino, catamarans, billiards, a bowling alley and much more for families to occupy themselves. Great family place.

The wedding was beautiful and so detailed! I would recommend this to anyone wanting to get married at a destination wedding. This resort is in a class all of its own!

Room Tip: All rooms are near the pool or beach - nothing is very far to walk to ...
Dear Rickerby,

We are pleased to know that you along with your family and friends had a wonderful time here at Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 and we want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable for us.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My mother, two sisters and myself went for 4 nights. It was great, but so was the company. If your a dud no resort will change that. I am a hard critic on food because I am a fantastic cook. The buffets were OK and the breakfast buffet offered minor changes daily. Margaritas had great margaritas and a surprisingly good flank steak (My sister from Tucson, Arizona was not impressed). Italian good. We paid the $40 pp for the filet and lobster on the beach; the entree was amazing, appetizer and desert OK. Remember in another country just laugh it off so what if the mousse is actually cool-whip. At 6pm the line at the Steakhouse was already 1.5 hrs, so we didn't wait.
My only real complaint is the inconsistency of the drinks. We stuck to the drink menu and it went beyond no two bartenders do it the same, no one bartender does it the same. WE TIP and it did not help, the drinks they still varied and varied can mean great to horrible in a 1 hour time span. This became very frustrating. The Lobby was the most consistent. But when all else fails...stick to beer. Presidente reminds me of Blue Moon (citrus undertones).
Our maid was great, room clean. We left little presents with a few bucks daily and reaped the rewards. She is probably still laughing at my Spanish notes for extra towels and water. All it takes is a Spanish dictionary and you can communicate. This is their country, their culture and their language..acclimate to it and enjoy.
The shows are fantastic don't miss Michael Jackson. The Dominican Show was also good; this was our Mama Wanna night (ask for it on ice). The couples variety show was very amusing. All in all it was a great time and worth it for the price. I saw plenty of shuttles but the size of this resort was no where near as large as the Hard Rock (in my opinion more cozy a better representation of DR) so we strolled everywhere to enjoy the landscaping and scenery.

Dear Sullivaca,

First of all, thank you for choose Ocean Blue and Sand as your vacation destination and giving us your feedback. We are very happy that you like our restaurants and night shows.

We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and this achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.

We would like to express our apologies for the inconveniences that you had with the drinks in our bars.

We hope to receive you and your family once more, here at Ocean Blue and Sand.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed in a Privelege Junior Suite which was great for my family of 5. I wasn't aware that Privelege had few perks, like cabanas at the beach and top shelf liquor so that was a nice surprise. The room was great, nicely decorated and bldg 10 is next to beach. The only bad thing to say about room is that bathroom is very big with jet tub but shower is very small, maybe 3x3. The grounds of resort is beautiful and constantly maintained. We saw them painting the buildings and trimming bushes all week. Also sweeping sand off walkways. Pool has plenty of chairs so no need to wake up at the crack of dawn to save your chairs. Lots of activities to do. My family enjoyed the game room which had bowling, pool tables, ping pong etc. We weren't too happy with the food though. I saw alot of reviews that raved about it so I guess it's a preference. I definitely recommend a reservation because many complained the wait was way too long but we had them so all was well. The flavor of food was very good but not the quality. Meat was very tough, temperature not that hot and that was the case in all restaurants and buffet. Although you had a better chance at buffet if you get there when it just opens. Also buffet gets real sloppy after people use and they don't come around to clean it. My son was down a day with vomit and diarrhea and then we all had loose stomachs at some point in the week which could be unrelated to the food but I think with the temp not being hot, bacteria can easily set in. We weren't impressed with the evening theater shows... very amateur at best but E for effort. All in all we had a great vacation. I'm not one to revisit resorts only because I like new experiences but I would recommend this resort.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Christina P,

We are very sorry that your son and you had problems with your stomach, but we want to let you know that in our hotel we have a special department that check the temperature and a quality of the food few times during each meal. And we also very sorry, that we didn’t get this information during your stay, for to help you.

We hope to have a possibility to receive you and your family once more, here at Ocean Blue and Sand.

columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Came with my family and we all had a great time on the resort! All the workers were friendly & the entertainment with the guys by the pool & in the lobby at night was a blast. Alejandro was the best! He always greeted us with a big smile & he taught me how to salsa. He always made us laugh at night in the theater when hosting contest over the microphone. We will definitely come back again!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Sicilianprincess75,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel Ocean Blue & Sand by H10 for your vacation and for sharing those comments in regards to your stay with us.

Once more, is been a pleasure to have you in our property. Alejandro will receive your regards and will be recognized for their good work.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our relaxing property so you can have another excellence time here with us.

Texas City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Ocean blue and sand is fantastic. We were in privilege which was very good and we met so many interesting people. The staff are great and look after you so well the food and service are really good and the hotel is lovely, well worth the cost. We visited each restaurant and had some lovely food and drink. The entertainment staff work hard to make sure we had a great time,a fantastic job, not sure where they get the energy, the nightly shows were a bit hit and miss. The only thing I found appalling were a couple of Scottish people , well all I have to say about them is I have never met a bigger pair of 2 faced people in my life, the guy wearing a kilt, decided to show us he was a true scotsman, had to hold my laugh when he bared all, I would be embarrassed to show that to the world,his other half was so miserable, and all they could do was talk about people who followed them on holiday from the same town,a very nice way to introduce yourselves I must say.Though other scottish people we met in the bar were very nice and polite. All in all, if you disregard the drunkards, this is a brilliant hotel and I will certainly go back with my family. And they talk about us Americans

Room Tip: Privileged is good
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Spen O,

Thank You so much on behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10, for your wonderful review and for sharing with others your experience. We are also glad that you like our restaurants, entertainment team and that you found all our staff friendly.

Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our second stay at a H10 resort. The resort itself was bigger than the RIviera Maya H10 resort. Upon arrival, we were given a quick overview of what is available, the restaurants, the activities, etc. Gaby was very nice. My main complaint is the following: We were told of a "Welcome Meeting" that would take place in 2 days. We should have known this was a membership/timeshare pitch, but we gave it chance. A 45 minute promise turned into 2 hours+. They start out having breakfast with you, which was uncomfortable and my kids didn't eat with a stranger at the table. They talked to us for over an hour, showed us the Privilege check-in, the Privilege room. We were a bit annoyed as the kids just wanted to play in the pool, but we were able to graciously decline and still salvage the day. If nothing else, I felt good about warning other guests who had just arrived not to get sucked in. Housekeeping didn't get to our room until 5:30 initially and we didn't have any towels, but once we made a complaint to the front desk, that problem was resolved for the rest of the week. The restaurants were nice, and unlike the Riviera Maya location, we were able to get in without waiting an hour before they opened. The steakhouse always has a line we're told, but if you're used to american steakhouses, I don't really see the excitement. We also tried the Mexican restaurant, nice atmosphere and menu. There are 2 large pools, one more lively than the other, but both have a graded entry on one side which was great for our 3yo. The bartenders were very friendly and fun, even with the kids getting their mocktails and smoothies at the swim up bar. The beaches are hands down better than Riviera Maya, crystal blue water, velvet white sand. But of course the kids preferred the pool. There is plenty of chair saving going on, like at any resort, but we were able to find a shady spot somewhere each day, whether at the pool or at the beach. Lots of poolside and beachside activities offered. Nightlife at 8:30 for the kids, and 9:30 for the adults. Bowling, one game free per person, per night, game room; several nights there were vendors available on the main square and there are lots of souveniers available just to the left of the beach, just off the property line. No need to travel off the resort, but plenty of excursions offered. A spanish english dictionary might be helpful, the entertainment, lobby, and most of the food servers are fairly fluent in English, but housekeeping and other food staff struggled. Buffet had lots of choices, filtered water safe to drink (just not the tap water). Bathrooms at the beach and pool were less than adequate by the end of the day. Toilets didn't always flush well, and there are lots of guests who walked out without washing their hands so perhaps alcohol based hand gel might be something you want to bring with you. All in all a good trip, but it's the little details that can make or break a vacation. Don't forget you need $10 per person to get into the country.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room on the outside, away from the pool, no view, but probably much quieter tha...
Dear Mommy475,

We look forward to welcoming you and your family to your home away from home.

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!