“Brilliant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
“Brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant hotel and excellent service. Myself, girlfriend & son stayed at this hotel and we enjoyed every minute of it. The room was brilliant and hotel staff was friendly. The food was good and good choice of restaurants, I would recommend the steak house as a must! The children's club was brilliant and the two ladies were brilliant with kids. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,986)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This property is fairly new. We had been to Ocean Coral in Mexico also . That was just as great. You certainly can't beat the Punta Cana weather. It it always spot on and very dependable for high 80's and little rain. This property is simply beautiful. It offers so much. I loved Mikes Coffee Shop and visited it frequently on our stay. We would go back in a heartbeat. It was a lovely week there and we will always keep it as an option for future visits to DR.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank You so much on behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10, for your most wonderful review and for sharing with others you Amazing experience here with us, we are also glad that you found the property cozy and the staff of the activities department of Ocean Blue friendly as well.

We most gladly will like to welcome you again,

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We will be visiting the resort in March. I'm wondering if anyone has any information on local schools we can visit? I want to bring school supplies and teach a lesson or 2 to the students. I don't want to visit schools that are part of an organized tour, but I would like to go to a safe location with a trusted guide/taxi driver. A rural school with little supplies would be preferred. Advice?

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Please let us know at the arrival to help you out with this issue of course we will help you,
you can contact the guest service depart throught the Guest service manager. We are helping
a school here in Punta Cana so if there is not problems you can go directly to the school
and take there what you are bringing. We will give me all the information that you need.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

First off let me start by saying that I don't usually write reviews for anything.. neither good or bad ones. I feel the need to review Ocean Blue and Sane because the reviews were a part of the reason why I chose this resort. My husband and I went for our honeymoon and I read 100s of reviews for many different resorts both in and out of the D.R. Some of the reviews on here are just ridiculous, people just need something to complain about. This is probably the most real review you will read.

I'll start by saying that if you need transportation from the airport use Tourissimo through the resort. The cost for my husband and I was $50 round trip and they were very accommodating.

When we arrived to the resort it was IMMACULATE. Music playing in the HUGE lobby. The guest services for check in her wonderful. We were privileged guests through RCI so we got to sit down with someone to handle our reservations. They offered us a beverage (we opted for mamajuana, because hey they say when in Rome!) They were more than accommodating of our requests. We received a romantic dinner being it was our honeymoon, they took our reservation and order right then and there. My husband had asked about wifi as we weren't sure if that was included as we weren't paying for the extra privilege fee, and they gave us 15 hours of free wifi, unexpected and awesome! Our room was not quite ready when we got there and I had mentioned that I was starving, so one of the concierge walked us to the buffet, showing us around on the way, getting to know us, and welcomed us to eat as we like, come back to guest services and our room should be ready then. We saw this gentleman for no more than 10 minutes and he remembered us and our names the entire week.

The food at the buffet was plentiful and delicious, even being late in the afternoon. So now I'll discuss food! Everything was really just out of this world. My husband and I are both not picky eaters and were a bit skeptical about the food as we have never eaten outside of our country, and let me just say we were not disappointed. We did not have one bad meal. From breakfast, to lunch, to the BBQ at the pool, to dinner at each one of the restaurants (yes we did try all of them) Luckily going in October there were and excessive number of people there so we did not have to wait for any restaurant at any time. Mikes coffee was an everyday, sometimes two or three times a day! The coffees were awesome!

Our room was wonderful. We had building 6 down by the pool and beach which was exactly what we wanted. A Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom!! We had two double beds .. probably the only honeymoons in history to have two double beds! We called and asked to get a king sized bed and they looked around at openings for us. Called us back within 10 minutes with another room if we chose to move. This room was down in building 1.. away from where we wanted to be so we declined. But still awesome of them to try and work something out for us.

The grounds of this resort were unlike anything I have ever seen. Having so many people in and out every day you would think that at some point in time it might get messy, but NO. I don’t think there was a piece of grass out of place. Every inch of it was clean and so beautiful. Some of my pictures don’t even look real because it was so beautiful.

The staff and entertainment were great. We miss the entertainers so much! They work very hard, and very long hours, to make sure everyone on the resort has the time of their lives. Tipping is not necessary, but PLEASE tip them! Some of these people are away from their families, working 16 hours a day, riding their bikes to work, to slave away on people spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, and only making $20 American dollars per day. I tipped every single day, and I always had another drink waiting for me before I even finished the one I had in my hand, and even if I didn’t have another drink waiting, I still would have tipped, because THEY DESERVE IT!

Highly recommend the Dune Buggies! We went through the resort… Adventure Boogies. It was such an incredible experience. You get to drive around the streets of the DR and see the people and the culture. All the kids were lined up on the side of the road ready for high fives. We did a tour of a coffee and Chocolate factory. We got a chance to hit Macow beach and do some swimming. We also got to go to a natural cave and do some swimming there. Don’t wear nice clothes.. and buy a bandana.. you WILL get extremely muddy!

So in conclusion… don’t listen to some of these people.. complaining about everything. It was a fantastic trip.. so fantastic that I plan on returning and bringing multiple people with me. It was a great all inclusive vacation that won't break the bank. Please don’t pass up on this place.. you will not regret the trip.

Room Tip: I personally loved being over by the activity pool and the beach. It was never loud or disruptive...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 We would like to really thank you and your husband for selecting our hotel and giving us the opportunity to serve you. As well we will like to let you know that we are glad that you enjoyed the service given by our employees and the rest of the facilities. We will continue improving our level of service day by day thanks to comments received from people like you. Thank you for sharing tips your valuable experience with others through Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home.

Sherwood park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was our second trip to Punta Cana. Both trips involved a wedding. The first trip every thing about the wedding was top notch. Unfortunately this time it was not. The bride and groom did not get an upgraded room. The dining room was shared with other guests. They were not allowed to change the seating arrangements (so no head table for the wedding party). The bride & grooms table were served last. They had to pay extra to have a dance at the disco before it opened to the public. Given the fact that there was 46 people attending I felt that the hotel could have done much better.
The rooms are clean and spacious. However except for beer there is no alcohol in the rooms. Room service will not deliver alcohol to the room and the bars will not allow you to take anything in a glass container out of the immediate area. The bar staff were unaware that room service would not provide this service. There were only one type of both red and white wine (both terrible) and if you wanted a different kind you had to pay for it.
The food was good in the restaurants that we ate in, but the servers were a hit and miss thing. Some waiters were excellent and others were terrible. The restaurant on the beach (la Cana) had the best service.
The pools were great but the beach area could use a little more shade. There are few trees and the canvas covered squares were in poor repair. Palapas are much more efficient at blocking sun.
We did not see any shows so I cannot comment on the entertainment crew.
While I would definitely return to Punta Cana I would be more inclined to return to the Rui hotels.

Room Tip: We were in building #4 and found it quite central to all of the facilities. Be aware that there are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
First it is a pleasure for us that you have chosen Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 as your holiday destination. We want to thank you so much for your contribution in this review about your wonderful experience with us in your vacation. As well we will like to let you know that the improvements in our restaurants and changes in the resort are constant for the pleasure of our clients.

Thanks once more for the details about your vacation mention by you in this review, we look forward to see you again here with us.

Best regards.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We held our wedding at the Ocean Blue and Sand on November 9th. We had close to seventy people attend the wedding, and they all had a great time. Many of the staff members in the resort were outstanding and made our wedding week easier on us and more memorable for our guest.

The hotel has plenty of activities at night to keep guests entertained. There is a casino, the nightly show at the theater, a bowling alley with pool and air hockey tables, and the sports bar.The bartenders at the sports bar and the disco(Eddy and Guillermo) are top notch. They remembered us when we came back and provided me and my family with outstanding service while we were partying there. The food options are great and the buffet always provides a lot of variety. I recommend the Italian and Steakhouse restaurant out of the specialty restaurant. The restaurant by the beach was also great if you did not want to get away from the water.

The reception team lead by Ebert is fantastic and they assisted in handing out the welcome bags to our guest and resolving any issues our guests had with their rooms. A few people had issues with their rooms, particularly with flooding. It seems that there are a few rooms that get water when it rains. The resort however was very responsive when these issues were brought up.

Finally, our wedding day was perfect. Our ceremony was beautiful and our reception was a lot of fun. The wedding team did a good job of lining up all the services, but we were very dissapointed that they were mostly unavailable after our ceremony. We had to find our own ride to take pictures around the resort and had to get one of the bridesmaids to notify the DJ when we were ready to come into the party and be introduced. Those are minor things, but not really what you want to deal with on your wedding day. The one thing I would recommend to anyone doing a wedding there is to get the fire breathers. That was probably the best 252 dollars I have spent in my life, and my guests are still talking about what an amazing show they put on.

In closing, the resort was great and the service was fantastic and I recommend it to anyone planning a big group vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
On behalf of Ocean Blue and sand by H10 we are delighted to know that you found our property very enjoyable and that we have meet your expectations. Is for us a pleasure to know that the entertainment, along with the rest of the employees were polite and helpful. We want to thank you so much for choosing us and for sharing your experience with the rest of the world.

We look forward to welcoming you again,

Parkersburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had a blast on our honeymoon. This was our first time out of the U.S.A. so we weren't really sure what to expect. The resort was great in my opinion. It wasn't perfect we did have a little leaking in our room (which was the honeymoon suite located on the 3rd floor) but honestly that wasn't a big deal at all. These places located in the tropics will have things go wrong and over time this do start to crack and such. The hotel was clean though so honestly none of that was a real big issue to me! The food was awesome the Italian restraint and steak house were my favorites!!!!! We did choose to spend the extra money for the "privilege" which I am not sure that it was totally worth the extra $$$ but the private beach area was nice!!!!

One thing I would change is the pushy-ness of the time share selling. We got conned into the 60 minute ordeal when honestly we didn't even know what it was. Anyways we said no at the end and they acted mad. That did irritate me so much that I left my free gift in the hotel because I felt it wasn't even worth taking home.. Also the resort does let people in certain days of the week to set up booths to sell things. I recommend them telling the people to stop won't pushy or don't came in there because it was so frustrating trying to go to dinner and they just don't take NO for an answer.

Overall a good resort. I am sure it's not the most magnificent but I can guarantee it's definitely a nice resort. We will definitely be back to the resort! It was a great first experience.

• Stayed November 2013

We most gladly will like to welcome you again,

Management

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!