“What you first see is not what you get” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
kent
“What you first see is not what you get”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

On first impressions we thought wow what a great place, Our first room was really nice 9127 but unfortunatly we had to move due to a very noisy child ubove us who run around all night screaming,So we thought lets pay extra and upgrade to privilege really don,t bother its not worth the extra,we went to room 10206 ,dirty sheets on bed,bare plug in the bathroom,dirty towels,nothing in the minibar ,safe not working,door not locking, old coffee bag behind bed.
We had a couple of very good trips out well worth the money safari and cruise.
The food was really nice but unfortunatly six days into holiday my husband contracted a severe stomach upset which eventually landed him in the local hospital.
The staff were mostly really nice but it was very hard to get a drink in the buffet restaurant in the evening.
The beach and pool area are very good but get up early for some shade.
We went with our family and we had a nice time up until my husband,s illness.
We would go back to the Dominican Republic but not Ocean Blue and Sand.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade it's not worth it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Ocean Blue & Sand by H10 for your vacation and especially for you anniversary.

We take this opportunity to thank you for sharing those comments in regards to your stay with us and for letting us know some of the details about your stay , we will definitely work on those point for the best of our clients.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. We would like to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our relaxing property in. order to change the perception you may have.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,883)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had such a amazing time at Ocean Blue and Sand. This place is so beautiful and everyone here is very friendly and sweet, they really make you feel welcome to this resort.

All the entertainment staffs were so kind, but my favourites were Minni Me, Candy Man, Charlie Brown, Willy Wonka, and Jenny. They are hilarious, fun and warm hearted. If I ever get the chance to return back to Ocean Blue, I really hope they will all still be here, because you can just tell how much they love their job by the energy they put day in and day out!

This was an unbelievable trip and everyone that works here was the cherry on top of the cake! Ocean Blue and Sand, "it's been real" and I hope I will be able to return one day!!!

• Stayed September 2013
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We would like to take this opportunity to really thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. We are very glad that you choose Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination for the first time for your birthday and that you has found great variety of thing to do here with us. We are also pleased that you had a good time with some of the workers like Minni Me, Candy Man, Charlie Brown, Willy Wonka, and Jenny.,. and the rest of the entertainment staff also that you have taken the time to share with others what a great time you and your family had here with us.

We will be more than glad to welcoming you again here with your family and friends at Ocean Blue and Sand.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We went to OSB the last week of August. The weather was absolutely perfect. You might get a rain shower at night and it is very damp in the early am but within an hour or so it is sunny and hot again. A rain shower during the day consists of a few sprinkles or even a 5 minute rain shower which feels good to cool you off. Ocean breeze is always there.

We had a very easy check in. We were in room 8205. Upon entering I was disappointed. The room smelled so musty and damp I knew I would not be happy. Went back to desk to ask for another room. Checked it out and that too smelled musty. So I knew that this was going to be the same in all rooms. The room is nothing beautiful. Our bedspread had a hole in it. Walls were not clean but that is being fussy. Bathroom very clean and that matters to me. The big problem that both of us had and was posted by several others that went to this resort, was the pillows. My husband can put his head down on a board and sleep and he couldn't even use the pillows. I don't have a clue what they are made of but they are absolutely the worst!! Two puffy looking ones that we said felt like sleeping on bags of cement. Two perfectly flat ones that he said were cardboard. One had a pillowcase one did not. That was never corrected. Made for a long week of trying to use them for sleeping. I really would suggest to anyone going to OSB to buy two cheap pillows $4 or $5 each and leave them there when you are done. Like I say my husband doesn't complain about anything to do with sleeping and he admitted that they were the worst thing about the trip. Big balcony with 2 chairs, small table, and a drying rack for your bathing suits. Had a view of the pool and grounds. We did get a towel decoration one night and chocolates turn down two nights.

Food was absolutely delicious and that is coming from someone who is so fussy that it is always a worry when the travel agent picks a place for me. There are so many restaurants to pick from. All in a row after the hotel lobby and near the Casino, entertainmnet, and bowling center. We ate at the steak house 3 nights. I had filet mignon 2 nights and sirloin the other. No instant potatoes here...the real thing. Very, very good. No reservations needed. No dress code. Ate at the Rt. 66 basic burger place and it was very good. Curly fries, moz. sticks, chicken, huge burgers. No reservation or dress code. Mike's coffee house...great coffees and deserts which are the same desserts as the buffet. Buffet was great. Different theme every night featuring several dishes from the theme. Breakfast was absolutely above and beyond. Only had lunch in the main buffet once and it was plentiful. Dinner at the main buffet was delicious. So many choices that even me, the extremely fussy eater was stuffed every night. Does or would it get repeticious if you ate there every night, well probably. But there are so many choices I really don't know you would get bored. Dark chocolate ice cream, mango ice cream very good. I am the desert queen and I was very very dissapointed with the deserts. Nothing was what I would say was good and yes the same things every night. There was always a huge cake each night and decorated with the theme of the day. But the desserts was my only dissapointment with the eating. Ate lunch at the pool grill everyday. Pizza, pasta, burgers, hotdogs, fries, tons of fruit and veggies, nachos and cheese, several side dishes. No complaints.

I want to give an extra thank you to Karlines, Elvin and Michael at the main buffet. They are just the best people I have ever met. They were there everyday and night for 7 days. Greeted you with a smile and a hug and took care of you for everything you wanted. I really think if you asked them to go get your food they would. They were amazing!!!!

Nonstop activites during the day. Entertainment at night in the lobby bar from 7-9pm. Bingo, dancing, juggler. The guys that work doing other things around the resort also are here to dance with the vacationers. So polite and fun. Main theater starts at 9:30. If you haven't been to a resort that has entertainment you will like it. If you have been to a resort that did have entertainment than you will say to yourself that it is the same as any other. But keep in mind that these entertainers are also working doing every job they can at the resort and then put on a show to please everyone. They work extremely hard and are so kind to dance and take pictures with you and make your vacation memorable. Great people!!

The water was a beautiful green blue. Clear, warm. Seastraw on the beach is hand raked every morning. Well maintained. Lots of shade covers but I will say you have to get out there early to save your spot. I would go out around 7am and many areas were already saved. Very little shade at the pool. Umbrellas would only shade part of your body and it was extremely hot at the pool.

Some kids would go up and down the beach playing music and of course looking for donations (which I always gave, they were so cute and I just kept thinking how poor these people are) but were not allowed to stay very long. The security moved them right down the beach after they played for a minute or so. People selling services never pestered you once you said no thank you. But the ones on the resort that were there 2 nights while we were there, were down right nasty. You are beautiful, you are so nice, you are the only person in the world until you say no thank you to them. Then they are downright nasty to your face. I would have bought jewelry if I had been allowed to look at their stuff and not be hounded. I couldn't stand it so I had to try to walk away. Then they went after my husband and when he said no thank you they say nasty things. We avoided eye contact whenever they were there. Walked quickly and totally ignored them hawking us.

The resort itself is kept in perfect condition. Workers out there early every morning with brooms...not leaf blowers, sweeping the entire walkways. Nothing is done by machinery all by hand.

I asked to see the Priveldge Rooms. Smelled musty, same color scheme. Difference was they had 4 poster beds that were higher off the floor. Bedding looked newer. And they had there own breakfast room right next door to them. After breakfast anyone could use the same room for lunch. And the beach covers had white cloth sides that you could close. Not worth the money to me.

Overall a great vacation. Would I go back to OSB, sure would. The vacation was well worth the money we paid. As far as the musty smell, I had a friend who stayed in Purta Plata and she said the same thing about the musty smell. She had to air her belongings out for a month after returning. I guess it is just something about the DR air quality. Been to Aruba, Turks & Caicos and didn't have the same problem. But it is nothing to spoil your vacation. Maybe an air freshener would have helped?

Room Tip: Near the end of our vacation we were talking with one of the guest service people and they asked how...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel Ocean Blue & Sand by H10 for your vacation and for sharing those comments in regards to your stay with us.
Once more, is been a pleasure to have you in our property. And that employees mention by you, will receive your regards and will be recognized for their good work .We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our relaxing property so you can have another excellence time here with us

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This trip was amazing, the workers were so nice and you can tell that they really love their jobs. Especially the entertainers, Mini me, Willy Wonka, Charlie Brown and Candy Man were all so funny and really made my trip complete. If you decide to come to Punta Cana, consider this resort, it's never and dull moment.

• Stayed September 2013
We would like to take this opportunity to really thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. We are very glad that you choose Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination for the first time for your birthday and that you has found great variety of thing to do here with us. We are also pleased that you had a good time with some of the workers Willy Wonka, Charlie Brown and Candy Man, and the rest of the entertainment staff also that you have taken the time to share with others what a great time you and your family had here with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This resort was really amazing. All of the staff are extremely friendly, and welcoming. The entertainers definitely made the trip ten times better! They are there to ensure we are having a good time and that our vacation is fun! The pool, bar and shows, everything was perfect! I'll especially remember Mini Me and Willy Wonka, they knew how to show us a good time and their energy throughout our trip was awesome. Would definitely recommend coming here!

• Stayed September 2013
We would like to take this opportunity to really thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. We are very glad that you choose Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination for the first time for your birthday and that you has found great variety of thing to do here with us. We are also pleased that you had a good time with some of the workers Mini Me and Willy Wonka, and the rest of the entertainment staff also that you have taken the time to share with others what a great time you and your family had here with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Lovely hotel! Staff are amazing and very helpfull. Food is delicious and everyone is always very helpful. Wonka from the entertaining team is great!we had a lovely holiday and truly recommend this hotel! Rooms are very clean and entertainment around the pool and beach is great with lots of activities from adults and kids. Bbq and paella near the pool at lunch time is also great! There is a lots os drinks available for us to choose and champagne is also free! Restaurants are beautifull and food very delicious. Lobster in particular! Lovely holidays!

• Stayed September 2013
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
On behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 We would like to really thank you and your husband for selecting our hotel and giving us the opportunity to serve you. As well we will like to let you know that we are glad that you enjoyed the service given by our employees and the rest of the facilities. We will continue improving our level of service day by day thanks to comments received from people like you. Thank you for sharing tips your valuable experience with others through Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home.

Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a fantastic holiday, I cant find anything to complain about. It was brillant from start to finish. We stayed in Rooms 8101 and 8102 with an interconnecting door which was great, we had a queens size bed in our room and the kids had 2 king sized beds, the rooms are very spacious and are very clean, the towels are changed twice a day and the beds are turned down each night with a chocolate on your pillow (which is nice). The grounds are beautiful and kept so well, and the two pools are very clean which ample sunbeds for everyone (not enough umberalls).

The entertainment team are fantastic, mini me, willie wonka are so funny and full of life. The shows are really good as well, especially the Michael Jackson show.

There is so much choice in the buffet, and if there is nothing that takes your fancy you have the choice of the additional resturants to choose from, we only had meals in the steak house, Route 66 and Mexican which were all great.

Everyone is so eager to please you and nothing is too much trouble, this was a special occasion for us as we was celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary, and we are so pleased that we choose this resort to celebrate in. You can either have a quite holiday and relax or get involved in all the pool side activities and for the kids there is Strike for them to go to for pool, bowling etc etc or if you go upstairs they have Wii and playstations so something for everyone.

We didnt spend to much time at the beach but it is beautiful and the sea is crystal clear, we just prefer the pool.

The trip that we would recommend you go on is the Outback Safari, it is a good way to see some of the island and to see how they live, going to the school made the children feel really lucky for the education they get back in England.

We will definately be returing to this resort in the very near future.

Room Tip: Villa 8 is right next to the quite pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

We look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home.

Management

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!