“Ocean Blue & Sand” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Leola, Pennsylvania
“Ocean Blue & Sand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Resort was beautiful, clean and everyone was so friendly. Our Poppe for the the week Almonte was very helpful and sweet. We miss him! He made all of our reservations for all of our excursions and made sure we were taken care of all week.
The only downfall to our trip was the food. The food was average and not very tasty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,658)
  • Polish first
FORT DE FRANCE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just coming back from this wonderfull place, well maintained, very good staff, two swimming pools with bar and jakuzy included
Daily world food, can be better (for a five*) and the casino is so so
The beach is maybe the best of all around ones(clean, quite, warm water, secured....)
Possibility to be VIP and enjoy many advantages.......

Room Tip: Choose rooms from villa 4 or 9
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I would recomment this resort to anyone . The beach is clean. . Just back from a family vacation at Ocean Blue and Sands. The staff was wonderful. A few individuals to mention are Veronica Lobo, an intern from Curacao who is studying International Hotel Managemnet. She was was detailed and followed up on our special requirements since my husband is handicapped and needed a motor scooter ( first on the premises). She made all the arrangements for us. The scooter was there when we needed it. She is terrific in her field. Also Benjamin who is one of the bar supervisors he knows his job, good at mixing the best drinks. Great guy. Windfred was also great in the buffet restuarant. It was a pleasure seeing his gracious smile each day and also he made sure that our teas were hot. The entertainment is terrific - that group works non stop through day and night to make you feel welcome. Overall, there was lots to do. The casino was fun but never opens on time/ Not at 7Pm but more like 7:30PM each night.
My only negative comment is that the food should be much better for a 5 star resort. Long waiting period to get into for the steak restuarant, and the french restuarant's food was so so. I did not have any kids on the trip,

Room Tip: If you upgrade to Privilege rooms you are nearer to the beach and one of of their restuarants. The...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Well, stayed for two weeks beginning of August. There were five of us in total. Firstly, the hotel is quite nice and well maintained. I do feel there are areas that are looking a little tired and could do with some attention though. I would rate the hotel as a 4 star, but would be so much better if the staff were more accommodating and at least smiled once in a while. The majority of staff seemed to really have a problem engaging, especially in the buffet restaurant where I have to say the service was really poor. Many times we had to make our own table, then call for drinks, with the reaction making you feel if you had asked for them to something that was beyond their remit. Tipping didn't even seem to improve matters. When you spend so much money, you would at least like to feel welcome, but this was really lacking I am afraid. This is the first time I have felt like this and have been on many AI holidays. One night, in the bar, I asked for a mouhito, and the barman groaned and said he couldn't make one of those as it was getting late and did I want a beer instead! Another first! The staff did seem to perk up at weekends when the locals arrived and they certainly didn't seem to struggle getting served, or even getting good service. Of course there were some exceptions. Yohan at the pool bar was brilliant. Always smiling and nothing seemed too much trouble.
This was our first visit to the Dominican, and we loved the climate. Beach not
as big a wow factor as we thought but nice. Mike's coffee bar a great idea and nice place to relax. Would consider returning to the Dominican, but not to Ocean Blue and Sand I'm afraid.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I have just arrived back from the Ocean Blue and Sand. Upon arrival, we were impressed by the beautiful grounds, beach and pool.
Two days into our stay, my husband and I were fell ill with chronic diarrhoea and stomach pains.This lasted for the remainder of our holiday! We were unable to eat at all and couldn't enjoy our holiday or spend any time with our two children, ages 11 and 13. They ate meals alone and had to entertain themselves! We had planned to go on excursions but sadly, we couldn't go due to how terrible we felt. We had to spend the whole holiday sitting by the pool; close enough to our apartment toilet! The Thompson Reps were not interested at all. They suggested we drank a La Boma drink from the bar and not go to the medical centre and pay $400 dollars for them to tell us to drink plenty of water. (Its seems that the reps are only interested in selling day trips and their commission ) They denied that other guests were ill, which we knew to be untrue as people were dropping like flies.
We met a number of families, all with the same symptoms and we were all ignored and fobbed off.
In addition to this, we were harassed daily by staff trying to sell trips, beauty treatments and time shares. Also, several times a week, market traders were allowed in the hotel. I don't mind looking at stalls but they were very pushy and made you feel uncomfortable as they begged for a sale; making it impossible to sit outside without feeling hassled.

It's such a shame because this really is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location, we just wish we could have enjoyed it! I feel like we've thrown £5600 down the toilet, literally!
I'm sure people will read this review and suggest I'm just a moaner but I can honestly say that I've never experienced anything like this nor have I ever written a negative review! I've been ill before on holiday for a couple of days, I almost expect it due to the heat and change in food etc... However, to be ill for 8 days was just too much. Good luck if your travelling there!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from this resort after a 10day break. Great place with great restaurants and buffet. We were able to get in to all restaurants and even went to some twice. The over 18 french restaurant was particularly exquisite. Everything is of course all inclusive and the only thing you'll really need money for is tipping. I advise you bring USD rather than pesos.

The climate was perfect at 32 degrees with some cloud cover, plenty of shade and a cooling breeze. Plenty of sunbeds on both beach and by pool.

The buffet was too hot but everywhere else including the rooms were cool. The drinks were great and the bars plentiful.

Highly recommended this resort for a relaxing holiday.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was there in June 2010 for my honeymoon and we absolutely loved it. I am very picky with my food and drinks, and I can honestly say I loved the food and drinks there. Lots of variety and good quality. I have been to other resorts in Punta Cana/Bavaro but this one truly had my heart. I wasn't too impressed with the entertainment since I've seen better shows at other resorts, but it was nice still. I also loved the bar by the pool and the bartenders were very nice. All rooms come with a jacuzzi, which is also very nice. Overall I had a wonderful experience and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!