“Nice place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
“Nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The grounds and layout of the resort are excellent. The food was mostly good - if slightly over-salted. The rooms were decent - the linens and pillows were barely mediocre. If you do not upgrade to "Priviledge" you do not get free wifi - and have to connect in the lobby.

The beach was nice, and though we saw guards posted, vendors still came through and bothered us. Speaking of vendors - the resort actually allows them to come in and set up around the main area where the lobby & restaurants are located. The vendors were pushy, rude and one grabbed my arm.

The staff was just OK. Most spoke very good English. One maid told my traveling partners that she was going on vacation the next day - they tipped her, then saw her working the next several days in another part of the resort. I had one of the cooks in the beach buffet very crudely and inappropriately proposition me.

The cigar shop was great, the bars were plentiful, however there was no single malt scotch to be found. A cigar and no scotch? (Only blends).... ALSO - beer....only the local Presidente - and I saw regular Budweiser a few times.

Overall - the infrastructure was nice - food was plentiful and decent. Spa was nice and good service. I probably wouldn't go back, and would try a different place.

Travel to and from the airport was through Prieto - they were EXCELLENT.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Priviledge and get 2nd or 3rd floor rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
First it is a pleasure for us that you have chosen Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 as your holiday destination. We would like to clarify to you that the vendors only are allow to come in the patio area between the lobby and restaurants only twice a week for the safety of our clients, and by the beach only two tables likewise. In the other hand we will talk to their manager to avoid further inconvenience in their behavior. Concerning the scotch we do have Scotch whisky probably a different brand than the one you expected. Also there is always Budweiser in the bars and corona in the Mexican restaurant. As well we will like to let you know that the improvements in our restaurants and changes in the resort are constant for the pleasure of our clients thanks to your comments made in this page.

Thanks once more for the details about your vacation mention by you in this review, we look forward to see you again here with us.

Best regards.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,658)
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you are thinking about this hotel. BOOK IT. I have two approaches to my holiday:

Holiday with a family of 40 - Amazing. This hotel were able to accomodate all our request. The staff were friendly and accomodating, informative and friendly. A special mention to Reginaldo H Morel and Evans who were very accomodating. They rooms we clean and as always there were one or two minor problems, but these were rectified within 10mins of a call to reception.

Wedding - When i was trying to decide where to get married, i fouind it hard to find good reviews. I highy reccommend Ocen Blue and Sand. Yinette the Wedding Planner, was amazing. I was a bit nervous what facilities we would be able to get and how it would work, but she made everything happen like clock work and I dont have a single refret for the day. The only downfall (and this is minor) is that the ceremony on the beach isnt very private, but when you are in the moment you don't even notice the people there. It honestly was more than i expected.

I absolutely reccommend this hotel to anyone..so book it!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased to know that you along with the 40 members of your family you had a wonderful time here at ocean blue and sand now on behalf of Ocean Blue and sand by H10 We would like to really thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel for your vacation weeding also for sharing your valuable experience with others through Trip Advisor. We will give your regards to Reginaldo and Evans on your behalf.

We look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home.

Best regards,
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I went to Ocean Blue in Punta Cana for a week with 3 other friends in November 2012. The hotel is very nice with spacious rooms and well kept grounds however it is one very large sprawling resort so be prepared for long walks to get to the beach or to the restaurants.
Now for the service...even when we tipped trying to get drinks at the bars or restaurants was a real chore. I have never been to a resort where I had to wait 20 minutes for a drink...and half the time you had to flag down a server to get one as they couldn't be bothered to ask you if you wanted anything. The only server who showed us excellent service was Louis in the beach restaurant...always came over to chat and when he saw our glasses getting empty he always came by with fresh drinks.
The food was a major disappointment...for such a nice resort, I was surprised at how bad the food was. The lack of seafood choices was especially surprising...when they did cook fish, it was undercooked and mushy. Go to Mike's for drinks and snacks, it's the best place at the resort...great smoothies!
The entertainment staff, while hyper and enthusiastic, were beyond annoying. Some of them were overtly obnoxious by trying to grope you and dance suggestively with you. Maybe some people are into that but I found it to be gross. Also not sure why everyone thinks Willy Wonka is so funny...we found him to be quite creepy!
On a side note, if you want to venture off the resort and go to a nightclub, go to the cave called Imagine...the music is amazing and where else can you say you went dancing in a cave? The Hard Rock hotel also has an excellent nightclub so check that one out as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We take this opportunity to thank you for sharing those comments in regards to your stay with us and for letting us know some of the details about your stay , we do respect your point of view about the food and the waiting in line to get a drink but as you well know this is a facility that is capable of holding around 2000 people therefore trying to serve all this people at once at some point there should be some waiting on line that we try our best to control .will definably work on those details for the best of our clients . Please keep in mind that the occupancy at the resort always varies.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. We would like to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our relaxing property in. order to change the perception you may have.

Manistee, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was a great trip! The resort was very nice and clean. The rooms were nice and the maids did a great job. Rafael took amazing pics of us that we love. Renaldo helped make my daughters 21st birthday special. The entertainment staff was so much fun! Candyman, DD, Jesus and Willy Wonka made sure we had fun. Yenisse is who we miss the most it was a pleasure to meet such an intelligent you lady. My daughter and her are close in age and they had a great time. We miss her terrible already and have only been home for a few weeks. I recommend going to Ocean Blue!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We would like to take this opportunity to really thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. We are very glad that you choose Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination for the first time for your daughter 21 birthday and that you has found great variety of thing to do here with us. We are also pleased that you had a good time with some of the workers like Reginaldo morel, mini me, dd, yanisee ,jesus and the rest of the entertainment staff also that you have taken the time to share with others what a great time you and your family had here with us.

We will be more than glad to welcoming you again here with your family and friends at Ocean Blue and Sand.

Management.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I had the time of my life with 11 other girls. By far the best vacation I have taken. The entertainment was excellent!! Thank you Candyman, Mini me, Willy wonka and Vladamir for making my trip the best I've ever experienced. These guys need a raise for their hard work. I would def reccommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We (two couples) went here for 4 nights and 5 days for my boyfriend's 40th. The hotel was very nice. The lobby bar is airy and comfortable. Free wi-fi in the lobby. Rooms were larger than the usual all inclusive rooms. Also, our room stayed very cold. I have had a problem with ACs NOT working up to my standards in many Caribbean places. We would leave a room card in the slot even when not occupying the room. Don't know if it helped, but I had to get the blanket out of the closet one night. Service was friendly and efficient. Two nights in a row they brought us champagne, the 1st time it was accompanied by chocolate dipped strawberries, the 2nd time it was with a small birthday cake. I also brought birthday decorations to put up in our room, the maid did a fantastic job! Thought the drinks were above average too, I could actually taste some alcohol in each one! The local rum is very good. I am a regular Bacardi drinker but theirs was very comparable and I recommend the mojitos. The pool area is gorgeous and the swim up bars are fun with bartenders that really seem to enjoy what they do. The beach and ocean are beautiful. Having children that are adult age and working in an industry where sometimes young children aren't well behaved or mannered, we were pleasantly surprised and pleased with the lack of children at the resort. Families with young children seemed to be arriving on Saturday and Sunday.

The food situation is all that keeps me from giving it 4 to 5 stars. The buffet is wonderful. All the choices are excellent and service is prompt. But we didn't want to eat at a buffet for my boyfriend's birthday or every night. I think they have about 6 restaurants with different concepts in their own building, side by side in the main area, across the courtyard from the lobby. We found out on our own the hard way that during week nights (we were there Wednesday-Sunday) two of these are closed. We saw no postings of this ahead of time. Even though the first two days of our stay we seemed to have a concierge that knew us and would give us an activity sheet. But he stopped seeing us when we would not set up a time to go sit through the Resort's presentation of the Privilege Club. Back to the restaurants, on our first night (my boyfriend's birthday) the Italian concept restaurant and the American concept were closed. We found this out when we tried to go eat about 830pm. At the Steakhouse and Mexican place, the hostess outside told us that they could not seat us and were full for reservations the rest of the night. We then went to the Dominican concept restaurant and they told us to come back in an hour. We did. It was good, but it was also our "third" choice for the special occasion dinner. Next night when our friends arrived, we decided to try the Steakhouse. We left our rooms about 6:30pm. It was closed!!! Our next selection was the Italian place, they couldn't get us in until 9:00pm. We were very hungry but had to choose to wait or buffet it. We waited. While in line at the Italian place, other hotel guests told us the secret to obtaining a reservation was to be in front of the restaurant between 5:30 and 6:00. On the 3rd evening, me and my friend left the guys at the pool about 5:30 and went to the Steakhouse to try and obtain a reservation. We waited in line about 20 minutes and were told we couldn't clean up, relax, and come back at 8:00pm or anytime after that as we had planned and desired. The only seating opening they had was 45 minutes from that point. We didn't want to miss possibly our only opportunity to eat at the Steakhouse so we rushed back to our hotel rooms and hurriedly dressed and showered for dinner. Needless to say, having a nice dinner at the end of a pleasant day proved to be a frustrating endeavor. OBS should over haul the way they do restaurant seating and reservations making sure guests are aware of how it works. And finally, all guests should be informed ahead of time what restaurants are closed each night. The food was good at each place, but the hassle that was required for the restaurant experience, the food should have been outstanding!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We would like to take this opportunity to really thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. We are very glad that you choose Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination for the first time and that you has found great variety of thing to do here with us. on the other hand we would like to informed you that we do post the recces of the restaurants ahead of time on the daily sheets programs call (DAILY POST). We are also pleased to know that you found that the workers were helpful and polite. We want to thank you for taken the time to share with others what a great time you and your friends had here with us.

Chesapeake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Thank you Candy Man, Minnie Me, Rey, Vladamir, all the waitstaff, bartenders, and cleaning crew for helping 12 of us celebrate our graduation from nursing school! The entertainment staff worked very hard to make sure we were having fun and kept us smiling! The guys at the pool bar kept us well hydrated and always had a smile for us. Rey was our "go to" guy for anything we might have needed. All the staff works very hard and deserves a raise and some time off!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the positive review. We are very pleased to know that you and your other nurse friends had along with most of our employees an enjoyable stay with us. We will send your regards to Candy Man, Minnie Me, Reginaldo morel, Vladimir and encourage them to keep up the good work, thanks again for your contribution on this page and for choosing to our hotel Ocean Blue & Sand by H10.

We look forward to welcoming you and your nurses friends again!

Management

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!