“Mamawanna!!! You have to visit to understand!! LOL” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Mamawanna!!! You have to visit to understand!! LOL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was down for a friends wedding and had a great time. The only issue I came across is getting from 1 place to another. My friend was getting married at the Hard Rock and getting back and forth cost a pretty penny. If I'd stayed on the compound and didn't have to travel anywhere by taxi, I could have saved lots of money. Other than the cab fees, the resort was fantastic! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Met lots of nice people and ate, dranked really well! LOL Pool activities were always fun. You won't go wrong if you visit this place. Price was perfect compared to the others. My advice to really enjoy DR, learn a little spanish if you can. It helps if you leave the resort area.

Room Tip: My room was large with 2 queen size beds, stocked frig daily and jacuzzi.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
On behalf of Ocean Blue and sand by H10 we are delighted to know that you found our property and country very enjoyable and that we have met your expectations.
At the same time we would like to thank you for choosing us and for sharing your experience with the rest of the world through TripAvisor.

Thanks again for your contribution on this web page and for coming to our hotel Ocean Blue & Sand by H10.

We look forward to welcome you again!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,656)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Me and my wife and sometimes boys go on holidays at least twice a year and mostly to Punta Cana. This holiday in November 12 we went for 1 week. Firstly I have to say that anyone who complains about any resort probably can not be pleased ever. That being said this place was amazing and a big part of that has to do with the staff. I was happy with every single staff member I met and I know a lot of that goes to my outgoing personality. They all smile back at you and say hello, talk to you a bit if they do speak english and they all work hard to please you. The food was great and lots of variety, it was not as good as a cruise ship but it surely was enough to please everyone.
We got our room very quickly when we arrived but it was in the back of the building over looking the roadway but we asked to be moved and it was done the next morning overlooking the pool and near the beach (perfecto). It average but very acceptable and not near as musty as our first room.
We ate most of the time in the buffet and like I said tonnes of variety and plenty of freshly made while you wait stuff. They even had a barbecue by the pool and it was great too. If you can make a reservation at the steak house ask for the fillet it was the best and some other people tried the sirloin but was not great. I always meet a lot of peeps and they all said the lasagna was the thing to order at the italian restaurant. The fifties dinner was ok but the under cooked our burgers and I did not realize it till I was half done but I did not get sick so all was good. My peeps also said the mexican was not good at all. Oh yes the coffee shop Got rave, rave review and we went a couple of time too and it was extremely awesome.
Now for the really good stuff the bars. All the bartenders served me super fast but A I tip once and a while. B I meet tonnes of people at the bars and they seem to respect that. C I know them by there names after they serve me once and we always give knuckle or five. Big Shout out to Bienveneto, bernardo, Guerlmo soso at the lounge bar. Big Whoop, whoop to Carlos, Johan, Vladmer, and Manuel at the pool bar. All these guys work there butts off everyday and I always got served fast and with a big smile even when I was there all the time LOL.
Lastly the other best part was what I would call the dream team the entertainment boys and the leader of the pak was the Candyman himself. He was at dream where we went last year and now is at h10. He must see thousands and he remembered the first time he saw me that is amazing in itself. He is super funny, entertaining as heck and speaks I think speaks 5 languages with no problem. Willie Wonka is hilarious and always hyper and crazy. Jack is the same way and man can these guys dance. Capucino and Mini me and Jesus round out the crew and they all make what I call the dream team. They have no problem getting people to participate in fun games by the beach or the pool. They constantly entertain even in the disco some nights. I did forget to mention the aerobics guy but never got his name. I have never seen so many people participate in pool aerobics, it was quite a site.
Lastly the only cons I did have was the disco opened at 11:30 which was pretty late but they would play around 30 minutes of latin music to start and sometimes it got dancers but most of the time not. Therefore no one would show up and it would die fast. When they did play something a american or popular it got the party going. I went 4 times and it was only good 1 night and that was the night I told Candyman the getter done man.
I would fully recommend it but just want to say if you set out to have a good time on holidays no matter where you go be nice and you will get nice back. Smile to everyone and meet as many new friends as possible. I met and remembered around 75 people when all was said and done and I would say hello to them every time I met them walking by or at the bars, beach anywhere. It is tonnes of fun and they to think I know everyone. Last hooray to Val, Remi, TJ, ginny, Kate, Haly, Billy, and Chris just a couple of my party drinking peeps.

Room Tip: From what I heard all the rooms were around the same but the back ones were really not so nice.
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. And the Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination.
At the same time we are delighted to know that you have found the property entertaining and the employees friendly and helpful.
On our behalf we want to thank you for sharing with others your pros and cons about you vacation, on regard of the music been played a the disco we have discussed with our entertainment manager in order to make successful changes to be able to satisfy our clientele.
Thanks for helping us to enhance our product and offer better services to our guest fraternity.
We will send your regards to the staff members mentioned on this review and let them know what wonderful impact are the doing in our guests vacations.

We will be more than glad to welcome you again here with your family and friends at Ocean Blue and Sand.

Quecreek, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I and 5 of my relatives & friends (all females) went to this wonderful resort for a week the beginning of September 2012. The place is beautiful as is the beach and water. We loved it. Most of the food was great and if you couldn't find something you liked, then you are way too picky!! The employees were friendly and helpful and sometimes very entertaining. Definitely will go back if airfare ever becomes reasonablely priced. Just one warning - the airport is a bit of a shock, I was there many years ago and there isn't that much improvement however nothing to be concerned about. Just hasn't been updated over the years as Cancun's airport but don't let that stop you, just chill and go with the flow.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach and pool are the best. We were in Villa 6 - short walk to pools and beach.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GuestServiceOBS, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
On behalf of Ocean Blue and sand by H10 we are delighted to know that you found our property very enjoyable and that we have meet your expectations.
On our behalf we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel for your vacation and also for sharing your valuable experience with others through Trip Advisor, hoping that we see changes on the airport for your next trip to our hotel .

We look forward to welcome you again,

San Juan Metro Region, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stay 3 nights at the hotel and was a Excellent 3 nights. The Food are Great, we no need reservation for the restaurants, the daily games at the pool and beach. The employee are great, smilling and the bars nice!!! The bathtub are has converted to jacuzzi and for the night with company are great!!!

Room Tip: I think the rooms around the pool because this location is the middle of the all hotel hehehe we nee...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank You so much on behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 for your most wonderful review and for sharing with others your Amazing experience here with us, we are also glad that you found the property cozy and the staff of ocean blue friendly as well.

We most gladly would like to welcome you again,

Best regards,

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is my third time in The Dominican. Ocean Blue by far was the best resort I have been to. We usually travel in a large group and everyone had a wonderful vacation. The rooms were clean, Maids were friendly. Lots to do or not to do if you choose. The bartenders took good care of us at the pool bar. I can not say enough about Michael and Wilfredo who took very good care of us at the Buffet. The steakhouse was amazing, however I wish it was open more than it was. Mike's Coffee Shop is something everyone needs to visit. The beach party they had surpassed any other resort I have been to. They had white linen tables with candles, huge buffet on the beach, Entertainment, Fire dancers. We even had the chance to talk with the Manager of the resort and gave him our opinions and what they could do better. That has never happened at any other resort. Bravo Ocean Blue!!! We loved it so much we will be back next year.

Room Tip: We did not upgrade and our rooms were on the bottom floor. They were clean and we were all very happ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased to know that you along with your family had a wonderful time here at ocean blue and sand By H10.
On our behalf we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel for your vacation and also for sharing your valuable experience with others through Trip Advisor.
We will send your regards to Michael and Wilfredo for the great experience that they provided you with and encourage them to keep up with their good work.

We look forward to welcome you again to your truly home away from home!

Niagara Falls
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We attended a wedding here in January and while we found nothing wrong with the resort it wasn't somewhere we would choose to come back. Everything was decent...food was ok. rooms were ok, service was good. There was nothing to make it stand out or make us come back...it was a great price though! We were there with a group of 50 people so we had a blast being on vacation with everyone but otherwise we would have been disappointed. Best part of the resort was Mike's coffee shop...have never seen that at a resort before and we used it more than once a day it was that good. If you aren't that picky and are the type of person to have fun wherever you are then this is a decent resort for a good price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You so much on behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 for your review and for sharing with others you experience here with us, we would like to invited you again to show you another level of service in order not just to have an ok services but yes indeed to fulfill all your expectations and accomplish all your requirements base on your opinion about the hotel .

We most gladly would like to welcome you again,

Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just returned from this amazing resort on the beach in Punta Cana with our family of five. Our children are aged 10 months, 7 and 17 years old and we ALL had a great time here (with the huge age gaps, its hard to please everyone). I was somewhat hesitant after reading some of the reviews on here. But after experencing all that the resort had to offer and coming face-to-face with some of the negative experiences of others, I can say we had a great time and would go back.

Airport
One of the most unique airports I have been to. You would think you had arrived on Gilligan's Island. The thached roof and wooden walled exteriors tell you that you are not in the snowy climate anymore. Inside, the airport is clean and modern, even offering free wi-fi. Some reviewers have complained about pushy baggage handlers (grabbers) and buskers. I found the buskers not really that pushy. Yes, they kick their straw hat at you as you walk by but smile and and your smile is returned without leaving a tip. The baggage handlers can be aggressive, but not physically so. They did grab some bags off the carousel and place them on the floor beside it (if you can't find your bag, check there) to wait and offer their services. However, they did take no for an answer. We found them quite useful. For $5, we were ushered through the small but busy airport to our tour operator's desk and on to our waiting bus. The parking lot was insanely busy and there were buses everywhere. It probably would have taken us 15-20 minutes just to find it. It was money well spend. Afterall, we spend $2 just for a cart at Pearson Airport!!

Property
Very well maintained resort. Overall the grounds were immaculate. The lobby, restrooms and common areas were very clean. The lobby is one of the best designed and functional ones I've been too. It was a perfect mix of stunning architecture, plants and function. It was well laid out with comfortable seating areas, desks for tour operators and the bar sitting right smack in the middle of it all. It was here that everyone would gather after dinner to check emails. There is free wi-fi here (and in the casino) but grab a drink from the bar (or a coffee from Mikes) first, your going to be awhile.....the service is slow.

Rooms
Our room was quite large. It had 2 queen beds (some of the most comfortable ones I have ever slept in) and a pull out couch. We brought our own playpen for the baby (they do provide cribs) and there was more that ample space for it. There was a flat screen TV, a mini fridge (stocked with pop and bottled water daily, but not beer), an iron and ironing board, a coffee maker and some dated furnishings. This was a slight disappointment but we weren't there to be in the room anyway so who cares how old the furnishings are. They all were servicable and maintained. We have travelled often and stayed in places where we wouldn't take our shoes off (The Lodge at Darien Lake comes immediately to mind). Here we felt comfortable enought to allow our 10 month old to crawl around the room. We had some concerns after reading some reviews about bed bugs and roaches. However, we found our room quite clean and well kept. We did find one roach in our bathroom, but they are common everywhere down there and you'd be hard pressed to find a place that doesn't have them. There definately wasn't an infestation and it didn't really raise any alarms with us. We were also slightly disappointed that our beer wasn't replenished, but your never more that 50 feet from a bar. Wanna drink? Go out and enjoy the sun. Wanna stay in your room and drink, save yourself a couple grand and stay home!!!

Yes, the buffets got repetative with their side dishes over the course of the week. The entrees changed daily. The food was well cooked and very well presented. I found it quite flavourful having experienced the food at other resorts in the Dominican Republic (this was my fifth trip). We also went to three of the a la cartes (the steak house, the Italian restaurant and the american diner). We found the food there to be of high quality. The steaks were cooked as requested and tasted awesome. The speed of service wasn't the best, but what's your rush? Your on vacation!! The service was very good....just slow. Mike's coffee shop would rival the best run Tim Horton's or Starbucks for quality of product and speed of service. Definately go to it!!

Pool Areas
There are two huge pools. Most of the action took place between them. However, if you wanted peace and quiet, then stay at the end of the pool closest to the buffets. You don't get alot of the music or crowds. Everyone seemed to gather at the pool closest to the beach and it was loud rowdy there. The pools were both very clean. Yes, some tiles were missing here and there, but overall the pools were very well maintained and very safe. Drinks were served in plastic cupsso there was no glass in the pool area.

Beach
Spent 5 of our 7 days there. On one day, there was quite a bit of seaweed. Other than that, the beach rocked!! Soft, white sand. Clear blue water. What more is there to a vacation? Oh yeah, the beach bar! Great service here. Never waited long for a drink (or three). Bottled water is available at this (and all) bars. Again, the beach was like the pools with a rowdier side and a quiet side. We spent each day beside the massage hut. It offered additional shading for the baby and helped sheild us from the loud music from the other side. Best of both worlds!

Locals
I was very disappointed to read about some reviewers complaining about the resort allowing locals in on the weekends. Your a guest in their country, get over it!! It's not like they open the gates and allow everyone to rush in! Say Ola and make a new friend!! Dominicans are some of the friendliest people I have ever met! The only people that I found annoying are the damn Quebecois who apparently thought the entire resort was their personal ashtray. The would smoke anywhere and everywhere leaving butts behind. I mean in the pool, on the edge of the pool, on the tables by the pool, on the beach, on the top of the urnials.....have some respect! There are ashtrays...use them!

Time Share and Privledge
Yes there is time share here. And they are some of the easiest going presentations ever. They really are only an hour (they usually say they are an hour....3 hours later your arguing with some idiot about the cost of tea in China and wondering how the hell you got into this mess). They understand the words No Thanks. Remember, you don't have to go! Tell them you've already been and they leave you alone (they wait outside the buffets at breakfast and bug you to get your "welcome gift")
As far as staying privledge. Unless you want to fork out alot more money to stay closer to the beach and have access to really nice cabanas, don't waste your money. There is very few units that actually have a beach view. The rest are just close to the beach. They have access to premium liquor (absolute vodka for example). They also have breakfast at the buffet closest to the beach which is transformed in the morning to a sit down restaurant for these guests only. Is it worth the cost? That is up to you. I would say no.

Final thoughts
The only complaint I really have was that Privlege guests and those going to and from time share presentations are driven in golf carts. These golf carts are driven on the same walkways all guest use to get to and from the pools and beach and restaurants. It's a minor annoyance (especially if you have seen the way Dominicans drive!!). I would think that with all the space on this resort, they could direct the traffic around the back of the units allowing pedestrians to use the walkways with fearing getting run down!

Tips
-Go to Mikes!
-Bring Sunscreen. There is a shop on the resort, but it's expensive (as you would expect).
-It's well worth it to tip a baggage handler (grabber as some call them) and use his services (especially on arrival) at the airport.
-Be prepared to be greeted by the heat as soon as you step off the plane. Most of the airport is not air conditioned so if you are travelling from a cold climate, you may want pack lighter clothes in your carry on and get changed on the airplane before you arrive.
-If you have to access the internet, go to the lobby early in the morning when no one is there or expect slow service
-Remember your in the Dominican. It's run on Dominican time!
-Say Ola to everyone! The smiles and greetings you get will add to your vacation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
On Behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand we would like to thank you for your positive review. We are pleased to know that we accomplish our commitment of provided you with and excellent experience, at the same time we are very please with your perception in regard to this resort , facilities , and the operation of it .
We are very glad that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you again!

Public Relations Manager

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!