“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Punta Cana

You added Iberostar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Iberostar Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We returned to this hotel for a second time having stayed about 10 years previously. The overall impression we had was that this hotel has gone downhill. They still have the best beachfront area out of all the hotels there, and the staff were helpful and friendly. The disappointing areas were the food. It was always lukewarm, poor quality meat used and the choice was limited. Areas in and around the pool were in need of repair. Locks on some of the toilets were broken and the toilets in the lobby area were untidy and had no paper. Unfortunately just down the beach is a business offering helicopter rides and the constant noise of these helicopters was very annoying. At times, there were large family parties and young people in for the day and they took over huge areas of the pool, drinking and smoking in the pool and things got rather rowdy. Not a very nice atmosphere for families. During the first week it was very difficult to get a sunbed unless you were up before sunrise. I have never seen the competition for sun beds so fierce. We have stayed in several Iberostar hotels and this was originally our favourite. It has now dropped to the bottom of our list

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Punta Cana once again for your vacations and for taking the time to post a review about your second experience among us.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we would like to express how much we regret to acknowledge that our hotel premises, exquisite gastronomy and excellent service could not meet in this opportunity your expectations based on your first visit to our premises ten years ago and could not ensure you another unforgettable experience at our hotel as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back and show you our improvements; please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you before your next visit.
With regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
lymm cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I visited this hotel in July having previously stayed at Iberostar hotels in Mexico, Jamaica, Brazil and Cuba. I'd done my research so knew this hotel wasn't going to be asthetically pleasing as some of the others. Check in was fine, lobby was rather basic but hey who stays in a lobby all holiday!! Room ok, bit worn but clean. Large and well set out. We stayed on ground floor and had no problems with bugs or noise from rooms above. I do have to say that pool area for me was not my favourite. Why? it just didnt seem to flow too well from one pool to another and the ground area all around the pool had seen better days, I didn't enjoy having to put my feet on it when I got out of the pool. What sells this hotel is, beautiful grounds and staff so eager to please and attend to you. They really are genuinely kind friendly people. They couldn't do enough for my 82 year old mum. The food was good especially in the two buffets and gourmet restaurant. We had no problem getting in the a la carte restaurants as we had emailed the hotel before our travel. The beach was quite stunning, they work tirelessly removing seaweed and keeping it clean. Waiter service down there was a bit hit and miss but to be honest it did you good to stretch your legs from time to time. Would I go back? maybe, if I got a really good deal. Think if like me you have stayed at any of the other Iberostar hotels and got used to a certain standard then I would pay bit extra and go to the Bavaro, which is right next door and in my opinion next step up. If you have booked this hotel you WILL have a great time the staff will make sure of that!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Punta Cana.
We would like to express you our happiness to acknowledge that your stay was satisfying despite our hotel premises and services could not meet entirely your expectations based on your previous experiences at other Iberostar hotels. In Iberostar, as you well know, we want our valuable costumers to enjoy memorable holidays. We have forwarded your feedback to evaluate those aspects of our services which might not be into our Iberostar standards.
We are already looking forward to see you in our facilities, please feel free to contact us before your return.
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Of course I know, monkeys are not the norm here in Punta Cana. :)

My husband and I stayed here in April. Large room, very clean, great staff, beautiful beach, good food 24/7. The Punta Cana / Dominica offers the most shade at the beach - and you will be thankful for it. The grounds are immaculate! Entertainment was ok, the disco was pretty cool. Make reservations for the delicious steak-house (compliments to the chef!), but don't wear high heals as you will be dining mostly in sand. The Mexican Restaurant had yummy appetizers, but it felt like we were walking into a Morgue. The fish-restaurant was terrible. And just like many others around us, we left the restaurant without eating dinner. (This may have changed though, since it's been several months.) - We instead went back to the buffet to fill our belly's. Hard working and helpful staff was wonderful throughout. I loved that guests were international: from Italy, Spain, Russia, Germany, France and many more places around the world. We did the "Samoa Island" tour with Apple Vacations and enjoyed it very much, highly recommend!
If I were looking for a place to just relax at a beautiful beach, I would book this hotel again in a heart beat. However, I prefer an area where it is easy and safe to leave the hotel-grounds on my own to explore the surroundings, villages and towns, do some window shopping and sipping my coffee at local cafe's and restaurants. Unfortunately this seemed impossible here, otherwise this would be the perfect vacation! This Iberostar Hotel will treat you like royalty. Go to relax and have fun in the sun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Punta Cana for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay on April.
We would like to express you how glad we are to read that your holidays were memorable due to the friendliness of our staff members, the variety of our daily and nightly entertainment and exquisite cuisine as well as the beauty of our premises. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”. Likewise, we have communicated our Executive Chef your feedback regarding our Marinero restaurant.
We will be honored to welcome you back again; please feel free to write us a mail before your arrival,
With kindest regards,
Strood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Myself and my husband took his daughter on holiday to the Iberostar Punta Cana. Our stay there was amazing, but there was just one thing, and that was the food. It was lovely but there was not much of a variety in the buffet.We ate in the Steak house and the Fish restaurant which were lovely and would recommend these. The room was lovely and always clean and the origami that the maids did for us with towels were beautiful. I will say though that the maids were quite noisy early in the mornings, one morning my husband had to go out and tell them to be quiet. The hotel was lovely and the entertainment was great, specially the shows that they did at the Dominicano. The beach was beautiful and kept tidy which made it so much more enjoyable.We would like to make a special thank you to a few members of staff, which are Emilio (aka sexy man), Eveanly ( may have mispelt this), Pablo, Miguel, Lois, Rhianna, Eziquier and the lovely Maria, drinkie drinkie lady. These people in particular added that special touch to our two week stay and they are a great asset to the hotel. They work very long hours and still manage to smile and entertain and look after us. You are wonderful people and we loved being around you. I hope this message will be passed onto you guys and girls as you definitely deserve a big pat on the back and applause for your effort that you put into your job. We will definitely visit again in a few years. ~We also met some lovely and friendly people at the hotel mainly one couple who were with their daughter. We did not get to say goodbye to them as they left a week before us, so if you read this ever please get intouch with us, Lesley, Pep and Katie. It would be great to catch up and meet up with you all at some point. My email address beckie66@googlemail.com.

Room Tip: Do not have a room near the maid pantry
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos; we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Punta Cana as the destination for your family vacations and for taking the time to post some comments about your stay on Tripadvisor.
We would like to express how satisfied we are to read that the excellent service of friendly staff, the beauty and cleanness of our premises, the variety of our international cuisine and our daily and nightly entertainment options which ensured you to “enjoy being a Star” despite the noise in the early morning made by our maids for which we extend our apologies. In Iberostar our staff is our main strengths and we work with illusion to provide the best service to our valuable guests as our Star Friends did whilst your stay.
We will be glad to welcome you back. We remain at your disposition for further assistance prior your return.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was sadly disappointed with Iberostar Punta Cana. My family and I have stayed in Punta Cana four other times with Apple, so I have a lot of past experiences to compare it with. The people in the Dominican "tourist area" are very friendly and so were the workers at the Iberostar Punta Cana, I had one server "Wascar" who was an excellent server and provided me and my family with great services, until he went on his holiday. Then services went downhill fast!! My family had two rooms that the ceiling in the bathroom was leaking water on to my bathroom floor, neither refrigerator worked correctly, TV reception was bad on all channel and no DVD, and they had the HDMI ports locked out on the TVs. We went parasailing with the resorts Dive center and paid $35.00us for a photo CD (got it home and its Blank). As for the food, there wasn't much that we could even identify and very little for children to eat. Overall I wouldn't recommend the Iberostar Punta Cana to anyone with children. the kids club was a small fisher price plastic play house and the teen club was a small room with a couple of game boxes that you had to pay for, internet $7 per hour / unless you buy a few days worth. There are some very nice resorts in the Punta Cana.. Not The Iberostar Punta Cana

Room Tip: There are some very nice resorts in the Punta Cana.. But, Not The Iberostar Punta Cana
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guests,
On behalf of Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Punta Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community.
We want to express how much we regret to acknowledge that our hotel premises, gastronomy, services and entertainment could not meet your expectations based on your previous visits to this destiny and as a result your experience was not completely pleasant. We extend our apologies for all and any inconveniences that you might have encountered and have forwarded your feedback so our departmental heads evaluate their performance, make the appropriated measures and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you again and show you our improvements; please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Best regards,
Ewing, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel back in March 2013 with a group of 8 friends. Overall, we had a nice time. The hotel rooms are pretty perfect. very comfortable, spacious and provide everything one needs. The pool was great, the beach was wonderful, the huts on the beach provide the perfect amount and chance for some shade. The grounds were very pretty, as was the hotel. The staff was very accomodating and very friendly, they made the trip enjoyable with their excitment and readiness to get all stayers involved with the many difference activities available.

However, the food was terrible to say the least. I understand that we're going to the caribbean and I shouldn't expect 5 star meals staying at Iberostar in the Dominican Republic however I think asking for a cooked piece of chicken is not outlandish. The chicken was completely raw, the fish was HORRIBLE at the seafood resturant, three days in after testing out the waters, and a friend being hooked up to an IV with food poisoning, we decided to stick strictly to the french fries and fruit for the duration of the trip. Very disappointing. My friend was horribly sick for multiple days. In addition to the food being no where near up to par, the drinks also were not good. The drink selection was very sparce and whatever was offered was not good. Nothing near top shelf, most alcohol they offered I've never heard of. Lastly, there were MANY MANY cockroaches. Thank GOD none were in my room, but they were all around the grounds at night and were also in a friend's room!

I don't want to sound too picky, we did have a very enjoyable time, the beach, like I said, was beautiful and we had great weather, however the food realy put a damper on our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Punta Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive lines about the services provided by our friendly staff and the beauty of our hotel premises. In Iberostar we aim to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
On the other hand, we regret to hear that our gastronomy could not meet your palate’s expectations. Our Executive Chef was informed about your concerns so we can work to improve our standards since in Iberostar our goal is to cater for a wide range of nationalities and their gastronomical habits. We would like to clarify though that we take hygiene seriously. Our cooks follow the Sanitary Regulation of the Dominican Laws as well as the Recommendations from our External hygiene consulter “Saniconsult” working along with our Quality Control and Hygiene Department. We have forwarded your suggestions to the corresponding department.
We will be honored to welcome you back again and show you our improvements. Please feel free to contact us before arrival in case you decide to visit us again,
Kindest regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Iberostar Punta Cana resort from the 23rd July until the 2nd of August. This holiday was BEAUTIFUL.

Where to begin. The rooms were magnificent. Tv with more than 5 different languages to offer. Bathroom equipment all provided. AC was amazing. Maintenance was brilliant and the cleaners had ALWAYS done such a good job.

Next the food. The Iberostar has there main all inclusive buffet restaurants but not only that, they also have professional reservation restaurants on the resort which have NO extra free. All is required is you dress smartly. The food was amazing. Breakfast was on point. Lunch was also lovely and dinner was the topper.

Moving on, the bar. The bar had SUCH A WIDE VARIETY of drinks including Jack Daniels, Smirnoff etc. ALL INCLUSIVE. The bartenders are just lovely and they are the funniest people you will ever meet.

Further on, the entertainment group "star friends" just magnificent. Everyday a new tournament. They will come make it their time to get to know your names etc. One man in particular is Pablo. Did not get his second name but he was Such a good entertainer and he himself allowed me and my family to enjoy the entertainment. There was always things to do. ALWAYS ! Such an amazing entertainment group.

The beach is turquoise blue. It is just beautiful. The whole resort it just amazing. If it were in Dubai. It would be a 7 star hotel easily ! I cannot thank the hotel and it's employees enough for such an amazing time we had.
Ps. If Iberostar is reading this. Tell him jessie said hi :)

BOOK THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed July 2013
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana as your holiday’s destination and also for taking the time to post a review about your experience among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team, we would like to express how glad to acknowledge that the friendliness of our staff, our exquisite gastronomy, our well stock bars and the variety of our daily and nightly entertainment ensured you a memorable holiday as we aim in Iberostar. We have communicated Pablo that his work left you a nice impression.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance before your next visit.
With regards,

Been to Iberostar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!