“Don't listen to spoiled naive people.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Canton, Michigan
“Don't listen to spoiled naive people.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It makes me laugh reading all these spoiled Americans complaining. I am also American, so dont take this the wrong way. You are going to another country and expect everyone to speak English and make you food that you are used to. If you want and American lifestyle, stay home. You are visiting another world and a totaly different culture, stop complaining about stupid stuff and try to enjoy something different. With most of the resorts, you need to go in expecting culture shock, except it and you will have a good time anywhere you go.
The resort is very nice and they have a great setup. Beach is beautiful, with lots of chairs and awesome water. Only thing I didn't like was they tied all the boats in this area, no big deal but I love sitting on the beach a looking at the water. Pool was great, nice pool bar and nice fountain. Didn't like the chairs where bolted to the ground. Food, I'm a picky eater and found lots of good food to eat. Everything was good, but I would put more salt for some flavor.
Staff was great, very nice people never had any problems with any request. Rooms where not like the Ritz, but I only need it for sleep don't care about style. Clean, cool nice shower always had warm water. AC didn't cool like I would like, but that's the spoiled American speaking. Surprised didn't see any bugs, its the tropics, roaches in the tropics are like flies to Americans, not a big deal. I was surpried I didn't see any the whole time we where there. Big mistake was, I didn't bring sunblock, boy did I mess up. $30.00 at the store for a small tube that cost $5.00 at CVS. I would go back without a problem, I really liked this place. It was my 3 rd trip to the Punta Cana area and just booked again for July. Go in with an open mind, no matter where you go, and remember you are on vacation.

• Stayed November 2012
LopesanHotelGroup, Guest Relations Manager at IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear guest.

Kindly receive warm greetings from IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa.

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for your compliments on our property as well for the observations that have proven to be invaluable to us, since our company is actively focused in improving our service levels and standards.

I´m glad you had fun.We hope you'll give us the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
NB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband talked me into going to the resort…well this vacation period. I have to admit that reading the reviews on this site caused me a great deal of concern. Sometimes too much information is a bad thing.

The night (well, 2am) we arrived, it was very dark and rainy. After having seen the brightly lit resorts the bus dropped others off at, I panicked at the dark and a little off putting reception...ok, my husband panicked after that. The room was in the villa section which at this point seemed like the end of the world. All I wanted to do was go to bed and hope the morning will be better.
The next morning was met with sunshine, peacocks, amazing buildings and grounds. First impressions are not always right.

Yes, the beds are hard and the pillows are uncomfortable (tip, pack your own if you are fussy). The air condition didn't work, but the staff worked very hard to fix it and stated that they would provide us with another rooms if they couldn't...they fixed it. I loved the bathroom. Yes, it was small and not what most expect. It was pretty… different than my tub at home…and I didn’t have to clean it. The rooms are basic, but we only needed them to crash in after the full day. My only issue was that the standard rooms (well, our rooms anyway) don’t have coffee makers. Where we were located a distance from the café, a coffee maker would have been nice in the morning…just saying.

The food is fine! There is something for everyone. My husband says "You don't go to Punta Cana to eat burgers and fries!” I was very happy to see so many salad and fruit options. My kids loved that at the beach they could go up and get fruit at any time. However, it is buffet food: go with that in mind. If you are fussy that way, book at the restaurants. All the restaurants were great, but our favourite was the Asian. The greeters at the Colibri were very efficient and friendly. They always placed us out of the flow of traffic. I think when we were at the Bambu, they let us stay longer than unusual because we all had so much fun.

Security on the resort was more than I ever expected. My daughter and I were returning to our rooms late one night and security came out of nowhere with the standard “Hola” and walked silently behind us as we went. It was very nice. My colleagues at work went to other resorts over the same week and had problems with crazy partying behaviour and vendors on the beach. We did not. That is big recommendation.

My favourite part of the trip is how friendly and personable the staff was. They were patient with our clumsy Spanish. I especially liked how they treated my teenage children. My daughter loved that she was always seated and served first with flair. The servers we met regularly gave them nicknames based on the drinks they preferred. It made the vacation for them. One server at Cafe Dominincano (our hang out for the most part) taught me the drink names in Spanish and left me to practice while the order was filled. She tested me upon return. It was hilarious!
The nightly shows were loads of fun!! Loud and somewhat hard to comprehend what was being said, but body language goes a long way!!! I think Monkey was our favourite. When you go, take the chance and get on stage with the animation crew…you will not regret it! If you are a Canadian, it won’t take long for you to find more of the same… We are still doing the IFA dance!!

The other areas were pools and beach. There is a big issue with people “reserving” chairs even though it says not to. It was hard finding chairs that didn’t have a towel. Unfortunately, there isn’t much the resort can do about that. The pool by the Margarita Bar was the best. The water was deeper and more room to play. It was also close the Crêperie that opened at 6pm. I did read about people complaining about seaweed at the beach. This made us laugh. Some of these people need to see REAL seaweed.

The activities that were options with the stay were great. My family learned to sail catamarans. We were trying to get out again and try wind surfing, but there was a “red flag” because of high winds….not the fault of IFA! Thanks for keeping us safe. Kayaking was ok to do on those days. It was gorgeous. Right off the beach you can walk out with your mask and see fish…just like Dory on “Nemo”.

I was pleasantly surprised. Based on the reviews posted, I was a very reluctant participant. It took a lot for my husband and kids to convince me to go, and they were very worried upon arrival. Yes, I’m sure there are lots of things that people can pick at, but nothing was a deal breaker for us. It was terrific.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow. If you want a villa, ask for one in the center by the fountain or jacuzzi ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa and for posting your review on tripadvisor.com.

We are very satisfied to receive your comments as we are committed on creating unforgettable memories that our guest can cherish for the rest of their lives, and as you stated previously our goals were met.

We remain at your disposition. If you decide to visit us again please contact me before arrival.

Regards,
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The author, Rohinton Mistry, who wrote "A Fine Balance" had it right when he spoke of good/bad, and not being able to have one without the other. And just to belabor this a little further....we all have degrees and perceptions about good and bad.
I had the good fortune this past week, to visit Punta Cana for the eighth year in a row.. As my wife could not get the time off this year, I went alone and as a result decided to try a different resort. Contrary to what I have read in some of the reviews, the food was not exotic but certainly palatable and very plentiful. therefore in my estimation...good. The accomodations were very nice. Quite modern as a matter of fact. If my wife had been along, she would have missed a bathtub as it only had a shower, but it was clean, lots of hot water, towels, soap, shampoo etc., therefore.....good. (Have to admit though...the pillows were a little lumpy.) Ok, so a not so good would be the location of the 3-level complex which is where my room was, as it was right next door to the Theatre.....so, each night from 9-11, "THE SHOW MUST GO ON"! Getting to bed early was really out of the question. Oh well, I got used to it, but I guess some would call that a "bad". (I stayed at....I was in room 4421.)
The workout facility was right next door as well, to the complex It was well equipped and again, very clean.
All of the staff I met throughout the week were extremely friendly and accomodating. Throughout the week I observed how hard they worked, whether it be in the restaurants, the bars, gardens, pool area or entertainment.
I only went to the disco one night, but it was fun! I loved the coffee bar area and the pizza bar/restaurant......again, all good right? Well, as in "A Fine Balance", the bad would be the smoking. My goodness, When are people gonna get it.....smoking? Really? Although I had read reviews about people lighting up in the restaurants, I really only experienced this at breakfast on the last day. The woman nearest me had to actually lean away from the person smoking as she tried to eat her breakfast.......bad on three counts here.....one for the health of the person smoking, the lack of regard for people around her and the fact that she ruined the breakfast experience for the "leaning lady", myself and a number of others.......just in case...that would be a "bad".
The beach had lots of loungers, and the many palm trees provided for ample shade for those that wanted it. Some reviews complained about the boats in the ocean beyond the swimming area....didn't bother me a bit. White sand, warm breeze, sunshine.....paradise! Let's be honest; however, the resort does have a menace called seaweed. More of an eyesore really. They have a couple of hard working guys that toil every morning picking up the never ending supply of the ocean's offering, but to no avail.......your feet will not be able to escape the seaweed.....will it hurt you? Of course not! hahah! But it might be considered, a "bad".
Beach bar? I read in one review that there wasn't one......well, maybe in the traditional sense, the review was right, as there is not one right on the beach as is the case in many resorts. There is one; however, just a couple minute walk that serves as a restaurant as well. Good for some, like me who didn't mind a short walk for refreshments....bad for others maybe who expect it to be a few feet away. Just a note, the beer was both tasty and cold.....can't comment on the mixed drinks or pop because I didn't have any. The wine was so-so, but certainly didn't deserve the critisism I saw in one review.
Ok, just one more thing. Before I went I read about how far people had to walk to get anywhere. This just isn't true. From one end of the resort to the other is no more than a 10 minute walk! Just think.....the walk is "good" for you as well. For people that need assistance or feel the walk is too long, they have a shuttle (golf cart) that runs constantly taking on people and letting them off from all kinds of locations throughout the resort.
All right, I'm done. Given the resorts I have been to and the cost, my experience was very good. I believe i received value for my money and was not at all disappointed with my stay at this resort. I would recommend it to my friends and will certainly consider returning. Reviews are understandingly a personal perception......but through my extraordinary good grasp of the obvious...haha....I have learned that life isn't perfect, nor is this resort......but in my opinion......the scales are definitely tipped in favour of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort and Spa. Maybe not so fine a balance.....in other words a lot more good than bad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa and posting your review on tripadvisor.com.

We are very satisfied to receive your comments as we are committed on creating unforgettable memories that our guest can cherish for the rest of their lives, and as you stated previously the balance was at our favor.

We remain at your disposition. When you decide to visit us again please contact me before arrival.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our second time we stayed there. We arrived Feb 10 - Feb 24. The service was excellent. We had prebooked our wedding day and everything went as planned. The wedding co ordinator Annissa was excellent in preparing all the details, other than having the bride a bit late at the alter, I was getting a bit nervous lol. The onsite hair salon provided excellent service for my wife. The hotel had provided us with an oceanview room although there oceanview is limited to the number of palm trees blocking the view. We ended up moving to a ground floor near the main pool which we asked for and the hotel had no objection. The nightly entertainment was great although the first week there was a couple nights of repeat shows. The maid service was excellent in both of the two buildings we were in but in my daughters building the service was inadquate where the beds weren't made daily, unfortunately they lived with that instead of complaining. There was a bit of weed washed up on shore but cleaner than most beaches at the other adjoining resorts. For a natural look I would suggest taking a walk to the right along the beach. There you will find undeveloped areas, but make sure to take your camera along. Compared to last year, there were a lot more english speaking people. From reading some reviews which involved theft, I have to say we never had a lock box and we never had a problem with theft either this year or last. The grounds of the resort were very clean and more shuttle busses were added but the walk to the beach is only a few minute walk anyway from the main pool. We did a few of the alacart venues, but I personally prefer the main buffet which basically served the same food as the alacarts. Overall there was no shortage of food anytime of the day, with a good variety. The pizza bar seemed to be the hot spot later in the afternoon and evening after the dance shows. I was really impressed with the service Randy, his fiance and cooking staff had provided us, always smiling, but don't be shy to leave a token of appreciation. Whether its a vacation or getting married I would highly recomend this resort for its value, and would I go back, yes, I plan on going back. The only thing I don't like about this resort is the limited number of washroom facilities at the beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Middletown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The food and drinks here are just AWFUL. Tip bring your own ketchup to kill the flavor of everthing!!! Rooms are old and musty!!! We have stayed at many all inclusives this was by far the worst we stayed for five nights and wanted to leave when we got there. Trust me I dont complain about much but I felt I need to warn people who spend their hard earned money here dont

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest.

Thank you for choosing our hotel IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa for your vacations and for sharing your review about your stay with other travelers on tripadvisor.com.

We regret to read that you didn’t enjoy your vacations among us. I wish I could talk to you in person when you were at our hotel so we may change your perception.

Our hotel is a solid 4 star with one of the highest levels of repetitive clients of the country and the best cost-benefit ratio.

We remain at your disposition if you decide to visit us again

near winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Good:
Beer/wine not bad
Beach – Hot, perfect sand, entertainment/activities ok, restaurant food decent, beach bar ok, water temp good, few peddlers, good access, lots of shuttles from rooms. Almost enough beach chairs, chair conditions not bad.
Rooms – large, fairly clean, tv, fridge and air worked well, good views, central, not noisy, functional.
Few kids.
A-la-cart can be phoned in.
Lots of animals – pink flamingos, peacocks, chickens, turtles, geckoes, ducks, cranes, other water fowls, and a resident cat.
Staff friendly and courteous
Lobby/front desk staff helpful and speak good English.

The Bad:
Cocktails limited, only fair quality, and there’s an extra cost for good ones.
Bathroom toilet area very small.
No ice cream at buffets
Inconsistent room service
Beach needs a few palapas.
Pillow poor, beds hard
No balcony but you can open the sliding glass doors for that near balcony feeling.
Shows poor
Some bar and theater chair not very comfortable.

The Rest:
The beach is a bit far but the shuttles are frequent. The large area between the beach and resort buildings could be used for Frisbee, football, etc if they’d level it. The pond is a wonderful quite place to relax. To bad there isn't any benches. The a-la-cart food was fine and service was good. Decent shops on the grounds. Cigar shop impressive and expensive. Off resort vendors are very close at the beach and typically aggressive.

When we were there, there was few English speaking tourists. About 15%. Lots of Russian, French Canadians, Germans, Polish, and a few U.S. Mexicans, and South Americans. Pools are very good though we only spent 10% of our time there. The beach is excellent. There are limited excursions. I thought there was not coral but there is further out. You need an escort boat to snorkel but it’s decent. Lots of areas to walk and play games in the evening. Lots of smokers but we didn't mind because of the open air areas and a decent breeze most of the time. Bring sun block! The sun is intense here.

Room Tip: The 3000 & 4000 buildings are good. Best to get 2nd or third floor. The ground floors may have m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LopesanHotelGroup, Guest Relations Manager at IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very satisfied to receive your comments as overall you had a great vacation between us.

On the other hand, I’d like to inform you that we have a wide variety of cocktails (virtually any cocktail you may request) offered to our guests on our all inclusive package. If client wants to have premium drinks, we have this option at extra charge.

Regards,
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

To begin, I will say that we always go with an open mind and try not to sweat the small stuff. Well, that didn't seem to be an issue at IFA anyway. Oh, I am sure there could be something to complain about, but why? I was on vacation...enough said. I didn't pay for a 5 star experience.... so I didn't expect one. IFA Villas Bavaro was an ideal vacation hotel. It was a beautiful resort, very clean and overall friendly service. May have come across a scattered frown...but I truly believe a lot of these frowns come from how they are treated by guests... by some who think they should be tended on hand and foot... and just by the pure rudeness of some. The beach was beautiful, rooms were clean ( one day we didn't get clean towels or any water or coffee etc in the room ) BUT the maid also didn't take the tip we had left for her that day, so maybe it was something beyond her control. Staff at all the bars were excellent... Buffet staff was great. The buffet food was certainly ok... it was afterall, buffet. Yes, it could get repetitive BUT we also know that before we go there. You most certainly will not go hungry...if you don't find something to eat... then maybe just too picky. Overall, it was a great vacation... Would I go back to this resort? Sure... Would I recommend it? Depends on what you are looking for...but yes. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Oh forgot to add.... and this may or may not be a deciding factor... And like I said I don't usually sweat the small stuff...but I did miss having a balcony... And the bathroom setup with the frosted glass was not ideal. ( to me) The animation team was good... although they seemed to interact with a select few ..... Night shows were a little disappointing... On our third night there, it was the same show as our first night... and all the other nights were audience participation shows... And the highlight of those for which we stayed were Monkey... he made things seem funny. But not too bad I suppose...It is all what you make of it.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early... do not stay in block 4000... this is right by the theatre and is very lou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing IFA Villas Bavaro for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with the Tripadvisor community.

In the name of our Hotel Manager, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit, e.g. Monkey, our pool animator.

On the other hand, we have taken good notes about your observations and I’ll forward your comments to our managers that will take corrective measures where apply.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Regards.

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!