“its not bad, i would go back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Cincinnati, Ohio
“its not bad, i would go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was there the week of June 8 -15. looking at what people say and knowing i was there and wow.
First of all your are in the Beach place, not HOME. I like to see your life style at home, why did you not bring your butt whipper with you......
Grow up people, what u spend on this is GREAT, stay home and try this a week at this price....
Food is good, beer is cold and maybe a wait here and there, SO WHAT.
Do you change your sheets at home everyday -NO-, So why do you need them on vacation.
is the music loud-- YES, Here is the best one, They don't speak English, NO CRAP, they don't haft to. You r in their town,--------- yes we had a great time, that was our 5th time to Punta Cana and first time to IFA... Spend more time having fun then trying to find out the bad things, Wake up and smell the coffee, you are only there a week, then back to work. Go and have fun and only read the coments to get a good laugh on people who can't have fun and want it all FREE...

Room Tip: Building 4000
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Opelika, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our flight was delayed and we didn't get to the resort until about 10 p.m. It was pouring down rain. We had upgraded to superior when we booked. We were assigned 4105, by the theatre and pool. More about that later.
Check in was smooth and quick. Our porter loaded our luggage on a cart and went to the back. He came out minutes later with 2 yellow, hooded rain slickers for us. We ran after him through the rain and he showed us our room and how everything worked. The room was very clean and nice. Only water in the fridge. AC was fantastic! Kept the room about 68 F. We wandered out of our room and watched the end of a show. It seemed very well done and entertaining. The drinks at the theatre bar were great and they had red and white Spanish table wines which were very nice. I am a wine drinker, usually cabernet. They kept all wine cold, which I normally object to, but given the heat, it was actually welcome. Had burgers at Pikalo's, which was good. They serve from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. Pizza is served during the day. Good stuff, plus, it is a full bar all day, located by the main pool with the swim-up bar. The swim-up bar, usually crowded, was fine. No electricity, so our Pina Coladas were served on ice. Beer and water were kept in a large cooler. We only ate in the main buffet for breakfast once. There is an omelet station and lots of choices for all nationalities. Dinner there, also only once, was also fine. There was an Asian station for freshly cooked options and a pasta station also. We found plenty of good, fresh things to eat and were served our drinks quickly and accurately. We ate lunch at the beach bar buffet several times. Always freshly grilled burgers and hotdogs and pizza, plus stuff to make salads and nachos and always fresh vegies and fruit and lots of mussels and clams and calamari and chicken and pork chops. We ate well. And Jonatten (SP) was an awesome waiter there. He knew what we wanted each day and filled our Bubbas up with fresh water before we left.
Our first dinner was in the International (Caribbean) restaurant. This is where I learned that if you want wine in the specialty restaurants, you had to buy it by the bottle. However, you could take it with you and bring it to the next specialty restaurant you went to. The waiter pointed out to me several wines starting at $12US. I didn't see any more than $22US. However, you could order mixed drinks and they were free (did I mention I'm a wine girl?). But we didn't mind buying the bottle. We ordered Caesar salads, which were good, but a little different from the usual. Our entree was not great. My husband ordered pork and it was just ok. I ordered lamb, which I feel was probably not the best choice, given the location. The flavor was ok and it was cooked perfectly, but it had little bones all through it and was a little tough. The cheese cake dessert was great. The service tends to be a little too formal, as that's how they are trained. Our goal every night was to loosen them up a bit and at least get a smile. We usually succeeded.
The 2nd night we went to Bambu, the Asian restaurant. It was excellent. I had the Dim Sum (so very good!!) and my husband had a salad that turned out to be mostly cucumbers, which was okay with him. Then he had a beef dish, which was good, and I had Salmon, which was awesome!!! Fried ice cream for dessert was really good.
The Mexican was scheduled the next night. We are kind of Mexican food snobs, having lived in Texas most of our lives. We started with margaritas (much better than those served at the bars) and cheese dip, salsa and chips. Very nice. I had a grouper dish that was amazing. I cannot remember what my husband ate, but he was happy. I had the Chocolate Lasagna for dessert. OMG!!! Fabulous:)
A couple of nights later, we hit the Italian place, which is actually located in the beach bar/lunch buffet. Again, I ordered a bottle of wine. All other drinks were gratis. We had an appetizer of
fried cheese and antipasto. Then we has a ravioli and a seafood pasta, very good. I really don't remember what our main courses were, because we were to full to eat them and the dessert. We sort of waddled back to our room:)
We went back to Bambu before we left (because the Mexican was closed) and had another great meal and good service.
We did not find the Animation team to be pushy, but we stayed away from the main pool. Our room was overlooking the Theatre pool and we had it to ourselves until the very last day, for the most part. The bar isn't visible at the pool, even though it was open. Our theory is that no one knew there was a bar there, so they didn't go there. All the pool areas are beautiful. In fact, the entire resort is very beautiful, with its flamingos and peacocks and chickens. We were most impressed.
Our room (4105) was perfect except for the noise at night. Being so close to the theatre can be bad for some. We didn't mind so much. Our favorite entertainment was the Mini Disco at 8:30 to 9. It was made up of the kids' program counselors dressed as clowns and the kids in the program performing dances to songs they had learned. Absolutely adorable. One 2 year old kept us coming back every night to see what new she had learned. Her parents were very proud of her. Then there was a guy who was really full of himself (he dj'd at the main pool during the day) MCing and leading dancers, etc. We were not impressed. Thursday and Friday, we skipped him from 9-10 and came back for the main shows, which were pretty good.
We did ask for our Bubbas to be filed with rum and coke (hubby) and red wine (me) one night at the Theatre Bar. Eddy looked a little uncomfortable, but he did it. We discovered it was way too much and ended up pouring over half of each out. So we kept water in ours.
We also ran into Eddy tending the whirlpool bar in the afternoon. He remembered us and wanted to give us our 'usual', but we asked for Pina Coladas and he was ok with that. He was in the Theatre Bar every night and took good care of us. The whirlpools (4) are kept cool for the most part, which was fine with us. And they're were few people there. If we go again, we may get a villa room near by. It was beautiful and we loved it there. One afternoon, a gardener asked us to watch him as he climbed a coconut palm. He came down with 2 fresh coconuts. He cut them open for us wand even got us straws to drink the milk. We gave him $2 and were rewarded by a huge smile.
The Cafe Dominicano was also great for coffee, espresso and drinks. Service was good. The beach bar was a little bit of a walk from the other end of the beach, but, if you're too lazy to walk that far, you really don't need to be drinking:) They kept cups and ice water readily available all the time.
The beach was beautiful. Those that complain of the 'walk' to the beach don't have a clue. It is a very pleasant little stroll to the beach. It is also accessible by tram, which runs all day throughout the resort. To the left is a shopping market (Sunny Delite does not have the best deals going on). To the right is another shopping market. If you stick to the beach, the next resort to the right is the Barcelo, very vast. The beach was raked every morning and the water was crystal clear. Plenty of swimming area marked off. We never noticed the smell of gas coming from the boats or the music or noise or seaweed. Plenty of lounge chairs, but not always available in the shade.
Our room was noisy, but even the other end of the building, away from the Theatre, would probably be fine. The mattress is firm, but once we fell asleep, we were fine. The pillows aren't the best, but not the worst we've been given. There is also a body sized pillow. Our fridge was stocked with plenty of water every day. Only once was there beer and Coke, but since it was available right outside our room, that was hardly a problem. We tipped the cleaning people $4-6/day. Our room was usually well cleaned. Our air worked perfectly, as did the hot water and coffee maker and everything else.
The resort offers a free shuttle to the San Juan shopping center, which we took. A colossal waste of time. Overpriced junk. Although, we had lunch at Chef Pepper's and it was excellent. I had a huge burger with a delicious mushroom sauce and caramelized onions and my husband had a chicken Philly. I had a Presidente there, and while I'm not an expert, I didn't find it any tastier than the beer served at IFA.
Bottom line, we would go again for the price. My wish list would include at least one air-conditioned public bar/restaurant.

Room Tip: I think building 4400 is the closest to the beach, but the walk from anywhere is beautiful and there...
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Vacationed first week of June, my third stay at IFA. My only disappointment was that the food was not as good as before. The fresh fruit and desserts were varied and plentiful. But if the meat/fish looked bad, I had hardboiled eggs or pizza. The restaurants were also not up to par and I would not bother standing in line to book them.

A nice plus, at the Dominican Cafe Bar, the Bananamamas are prepared with a whole banana in the blender. Service and staff are excellent. I am bi-lingual in Spanish and it was a pleasure to converse with the employees. My Villa room was very clean and quiet, no problems. My server Altagracia at the buffet, remembered me from 4 yrs ago at the neighboring hotel.

The beach is the best. I suggest a walk to the right, south, calm area for swimming. If you are in the Villas, it may be best to take the train to and from the beach. It is a long walk, especially in summer. I love the pool by the villas. It is beautifully landscaped, with fountains, and clean. The main pool is better suited for kids and activities. The pizza terrace is very nice, shaded seating, variety of pizzas for self-serve.

I was disappointed with the nightime shows in the theater. They used to be great. And there is no more Bingo. And I didn't go to the disco because they don't play the music I like to dance to, bachata, merengue and salsa, although you can hear that music in the buffet, bars, lobby.

The buffet is not air-conditioned, and some guests were surprised by that. This was my first experience traveling on SunWing and I was impressed with their good service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Chicago Suburbs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I think making a decision on where to go on vacation is extremely difficult...especially when you read the reviews and this person says its a great place to go and then the next says its horrible. Below is an honest critique of IFA. I don't have unreachable expectaions of a resort but I do expect to get my moneys worth. Overall, IFA was a huge let down to us.

My husband and I stayed her from June 6, 2012 thru the 13th. I'm not an extremely picky person, but I really expected more. For the amount of money we spent I was very disappointed. Collectively, the entire resort property was run down and not well maintained at all. There were broken fountains everywhere and ponds that were stagnant and slimed with moss. We always saw employees out maintaining the grass, trees, etc....but there's no attention to detail.

We ate at the Italian restaurant and the International restaurant on two different nights. We stood in line for about an hour in the morning to get reservations. It wasn't worth it. We have stayed at enough international resorts to honestly say, the food here is not very good. I ordered shrimp and rice in some kind of sauce at the Italian restaurant. My meal came to me wrapped in foil. Inside was undercooked rice and shrimp that had the consistency of paste. I don't know what they did to it. At the International restaurant I ordered the pork. It was kind of nasty. The main buffet was great for breakfast. We had omelets every morning with toast. But at lunch and at night, it really wasn't good. On most nights I ended up eating pasta with butter on it and fruit. Considering that all of our food was paid for, it was a huge disappointment. I have never gone on a trip where I had issues with the food. My saving grace was the pizzeria. Obviously the pizza is made differently than I am used to, but it's really good. And the fries were good. It didn't matter what time of day it was...the fries were always hot and fresh. I didn't care for their hotdogs or hamburgers in the pizzeria...mostly because of the seasonings they use. The hamburgers were way too salty. Also, we missed the memo on the Italian restaurant I guess..........during lunch time, the Italian restaurant is converted to a buffet/beach bar. That buffet, while still somewhat disappointing, was by far better than the main buffet for lunch.

I always see people on here making comments about foreign food and what do you expect, they make things differently, you need to try new things...etc, etc, etc....... I like trying new foods and I am not a picky eater, so trust me when I say....the food here is really, really not that good.

The beach is beautiful. Lounge chairs are easy to come by, its getting a lounge chair in the shade that's hard to come by. We would typically go to the beach in the afternoon after a morning of the pool. By that time, lounge chairs are clumped under all the available huts and it was really hard to find a place in the shade. Yes, there is seaweed, but it didn't start until the water was over my head so it wasn't an issue. I made a huge mistake of walking over to the little shops that are on the beach. It's just off of IFA's property line. When I shop, I like to look around, take my time...you can't do that here. There were constantly people trying to put jewelry on me and every time I looked at something more than a few seconds they would pick it up badger me about it. I was surrounded by hovering people the whole time. My husbang bought some cigars, other than that...we got out of there. I was disappointed. I wanted to buy some things for my children, but theses people are annoying. We were never approached on the beach by anyone. Which was nice.

The main pool was pretty and ok, but I had issues with that also. The swim up bar had extremely limited drinks. There was a menu, and for $7.00 you could get a premium drink. Really? I paid for all inclusive and I don't think it mentioned anywhere that every restaurant and every bar has a menu that they will sell you premium drinks. I have never been some place that does this. It was a major turn off for me. At the swim up bar you could not get a blended drink (unless you got a pina colada or a coconut mixture drink-these were pre maid in the dispensers). My idea of vacation is sitting all day long in a pool and drinking blended foo foo drinks all day.

The main pool got bombarded on the weekend by kids, to the point that you were either getting jumped on (they were jumping and diving in off of all the different ledges and fountains) or they were jumping over your heads. When we said something to them about jumping on us or over us we just got dirty looks from them. It was extremely annoying. My husband and I finally noticed that all of these kids had on a yellow wrist band. When we asked at the front desk we found out that this hotel sells ( for $10.00 ) day passes to the local Dominicans. So, all of these kids were locals that came in for the day to use the pool and restaurants all day. Lesson learned....we will not go back to a resort that does this.

Because of this, we moved to the other pool that does not have a swim up bar. What a difference. Yes, there were a few locals there horsing around, but this pool was so much quieter and nicer. You could relax and enjoy yourself. Yes, we had to get out of the pool to get a drink at the bar, but they made blended drinks here....so it was worth it.

I was expecting free Wi-Fi like any other place we have gone. There isn't. But there is a little computer room that's air conditioned. For $3.00 you can get on their computers for half an hour. It was very clean in there and very reasonably priced.

We booked a trip thru Apple for the Outback Safari. Angel was our guide. It was $90.00 per person and was worth every penny. We were picked up in the lobby in the morning at 8:30 and were dropped off at 5:00. If we go back to Punta Cana, I'd do it again. The only thing I wish I had on the trip that I didn't have was a hat. The sun up in the mountains is a killer and it was butally hot.

I knew the hotel didn't sit right on the beach, but I really didn't expect it to be as far away as it was. We walked sometimes and took the trolley other times. Either way, I learned my lesson. I like sitting at a restaurant and looking at the ocean. I like being able to walk out of my hotel room and either go to the ocean or go to the pool and then change my mind 15 minutes later and switch if I want to. Here, you had to make a decision on which direction to go and if you wanted to switch, it was an ordeal. It just wasn't convanient.

The rooms were ok. Nothing special, but they were clean and the refridge restocked daily. I'm used to a balcony to sit on at night. There are no balconies. There were sliding doors to open and a railing, but no place to sit and relax. We got an extra room key card because that's what runs your air conditioner. You have to put it in the control box to turn on the AC. so, obviously when you leave your room, you need your key card......your AC gets turned off. Well thought out on there part so everyone doesn't run the AC all day long.....but we didn't like the room hot after being in the sun all day, so we got an extra card. Beware...the maids are trained to take the key card out of the AC when they clean the room and confiscate the key card. Wasn't a real problem for us...we just went back down to the lobby and got another one.

******Beware.......one of the local Dominicans, about 7 years old, that had a day pass showed up in our hotel building the day before we left. He walked right up to me and smiled and stood there for quite a few minutes. I tried asking him if he needed anything or help...but he never answered me...just smiled. I don't think he understoof English. Anyway, after a few minutes, with me watching him, he walked from door to door jiggling all the handles to see if any of the doors were open. He didn't have any business in being in the hotel part of the resort. He left our building complex and I watched him go up the stairs to the building complex next to us. I did say something to the staff at the lobby check in desk. They seemed concerned about this happening, but whether or not they did anything about it...I don't know.

I can't really critique the nightly entertainment. We only went one night and didn't stay the entire time. The main host speaks very fast and mostly in spanish, so we really didn't know what was going on most of the time. We were tired from a long day in the sun, and between the lack of waitresses to get anything to drink and the uncomfortable chairs and the stuffy room....we went back to our room early. We weren't interested in returning. The shows started so late that we were usually too tired by then.

The most positive thing at the resort was the staff. The maids were great and friendly. The normal bar staff was great. Even in the restaurants everyone was extremely attentive. Yes, we are tippers.You don't have to...that's just our preference. We didn't tip a lot and I have no idea if that contributed to the good service, but regardless if so...it was worth it.

We won't be back to this resort. We learned our lesson about choosing our vacation spot. We work too hard for our money to be this disappointed. For about $600.00 more we could have been at a Dreams or a better resort. Next time, we'll pay it. You get what you pay for. If this helps anyone in making a more educated decision on where to go to then this review has served its purpose.

Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We have no complains. The staff was friendly try to speak English play and entertain our son of 2 years. Our room in the villages we're great near the swimmingpool, bar and a la carte restaurants. When we need clean towels we call and in 10 minutes we got them, we have cleaning every day. Only the tv was not always working but your on holiday so no problem for us.
The food in the buffet restaurant was good every day something else and the cook fresh pasta for you. And in the a la carte they always try to get something diffrent for our son if he doesn't eat wat was on the menu.
The only thing was the shadow when you want some you have to be early.

We will come back for sure.

Room Tip: If you want to sit outside at your room choose a bungalow/villas room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I will never go to this hotel again! Its shame as it was my first holiday with my boyfriend and we were both really excited, he had not been to Dom Rep before however I had been as child with my family and had, had great experiences!

The staff were beyond unhelpful, it was almost as thought they went out of their way to be difficult! When we arrived there were 4 people at reception just standing there while one member of staff was helping another guest , when we approach one of the free people to check in we were rudely told that the only person that could help was the lady who was busy, whilst the other members of staff just stood and chatted amongst themselves. Once we finally got serviced, we were hit with a $30 charge for use of the safe!

Hardly any of the staff could speak English, those who could it was so basic that ordering drinks proved very difficult, also we found ourselves having to ask 3-4 times in the main restuarant before actually receiving the ordered drinks.

We had paid extra to upgrade to a superior room, which was nothing special. It wasn't particually clean, we soon discovered that the plug converters that we had taken did not fit as they had different plug sockets so we had to shell out again $10 for plug sockets, also the shower would run out of hot water a few minutes after being turned on. We also found bugs in the room and would often return to the room at 7.00pm to find that it still had not been cleaned!
However our main issue with the room was our air conditioning! It did not work and was incredibly noisy like an old car engine running, we complained about this issue and a maintenance man was sent to our room and we were told it was fixed. However the next night it was still just as noisy, so we went to complain at 4.30am as we could not sleep, we asked to speak to the manager and said we wanted a new room, to which his reply was 'But you've only complained twice!!!' Which left me amazed to say the least how many times are you meant to complain before some sort of action is taken! He however then agreed to give us another room. After finally getting some sleep, we decided not to move rooms as we had 2 nights left and didn't think it was worth packing everything up, only to do it a couple of days later when we left. We said this to the manager and in return said we could have late check out instead. Which we were happy with!

Upon check out we were told that we owed them $8 for a late check out! At this point I had, had enough and just wanted to leave. We told the lady that the manager had agreed to this and we were entitled to us due to the poor room and service we had experienced. They still insisted on the $8, so we asked to see the manager, who conviently was not there! Eventually after much debating they rang the manager who said that he had agreed to it and there was no charge. It just seemed as though no body spoke to each other and the staff were rude and just unhelpful!

Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Let's just say that this was a mistake that I won't make again!

Flight and transportation were great. Once we got to reception, problems began. You wait in line, but there is no actual like, people just come up to the counter at random spots and the only 2 reps try to help everyone. By the time we checked in and got to our room, it was not what we booked (asked for bungalow, got one of those rooms by the pool instead). First we thought about staying in the room, but looked at the dirty chair, hair all over the beds and a moldy shower and decided we're leaving. Lugged our suitcases back to reception and asked to be put into the bungalow we reserved, they said none were available, to come back after 3pm.

I could go on and on, but here are the main points:
- room service, horrible (even with daily tips)
- only beer, wine and mixed drinks were included (tequilla shots were $7 a pop)
- Food was beyond awful!!! I've had better food at a local Chinese buffet, so we got by on toast and veggies for a week
- Shows/entertainment were a joke
- Beds old and not good, pillows are nothing but a bunch of lumps (bring your own!)
- Specialty restaurants - walked out of Japanese, got food poisoning from Carribean (didn't bother risking with others)
- Beach - dirty (cups, bottles, straws everywhere), there are boats everywhere - that means you're smelling gasoline fumes all day long, annoying boats with very loud music coast by every so many minutes, water is full of chopped up seaweed because of all of the boats.

Wasted $4k and 7 days we won't be getting back. I would never advise anyone to go here unless you don't know any better. Next time, I'd rather splurge on an Iberostar or a Barcelo (5+ apples only).

Room Tip: Bungalows don't require your room key in order the the electricity and AC to be on.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bavaro
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
Vista Sol Punta Cana
#13 of 17 in Bavaro
3.5 of 5 stars 1,319 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!