“It was just Okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa

You added IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 51101, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Atlanta
“It was just Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I must agree with 80% of AVG22 interpretation of this complex.. We just returned from a seven day vacation stay. The check in staff hardly ever acknowledges you. We were given a room in the rear Room 1232. It was awful, immediately return to the reception area and was given a better room in the 1000 units. But prior to that we notice some prostitution transaction taking place in the lobby and wouldn't you know she and the trick was on the same shuttle as us and dropped off
and telling the driver to be back for them in 2 hrs. The front desk people knew what was going on because I went back up front to inquire, Once you check in you are given an arm bracelet and they did not have one. That was very scary!!
The food is not that good,but you won't starve. The beach buffet is far better. Their drinks are very sweet so beware. I always had to get double shots because the drinks were so weak.
Housekeeping needs a lot of improvement. They work at a snail pace and never really give you what you request.
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The pools and the beach are wonderful. Would I return? Yes, with caution and tips I learned from this trip.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the 4000 building. Or stay in a 1000 unit near the pool
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Delray Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I usually don't write reviews about hotels, but after returning from my horrendous 5 day stay at the IFA Villas Bavaro Resort and Spa, I want to make it a point to advise everyone not to book this hotel. The villa rooms are equivalent to a college dorm room (bed, TV, sink, and shower). We had issues with no hot water, toilet clogging, and the AC completely stopped working. We continuously had to call the front desk to have someone come to the room to fix the issues, and eventually we were given another room that had the same issues. The food is horrible, this is the only vacation that I went on that I lost weight instead of gaining weight from the food (in the bathroom). The buffet was always cold and consisted of leftover food from the other a la carte restaurants at the hotel from the night before. Flies were everywhere on the food. Simple things like hamburgers (mystery meat not beef) and hot dogs were horrible. The safest thing to eat was the fresh cooked omelets and the fresh pasta station. Everything else is eat at your own risk. Good luck trying to get a reservation for one of the a la carte restaurants. We dined at the Italian restaurant (eat there if you want to clean out your colon), and the Japanese restaurant (not too bad). The local liquor is better used to strip paint than consume. There is no top shelf at this place. The grounds of the hotel were clean (besides the random chickens that were walking around by the villas). The activities at this place consist of watching random guests do aerobics during the middle of the day as entertainment by the pool. The beach was nice but a lot of seaweed in the water.

Room Tip: !!!!!!!!!THIS IS NOT A FOUR STAR RESORT CONSUMER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!! Do not waste your money on the up...
Sewickley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

By friend and I stayed at the resort in may and had the best time! The resort is beautiful and we never felt the need to even leave. the pool is great with the swim up bar and the resort is in walking distance to the beach. There are lots of great restaurants and bars. also, the pizza by the pool is fantastic and the seafood restaurant (reservations only) was my absolute favorite. try the crab...its delicious! overall we had teh best time. We could have done without the spa services that we purchased but our excursion was well worth it. we did the snorkeling and swimming with sharks and it was a great experience. I woudl highly recommend this hotel to anyone with a budget. you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Heredia, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I just came back from a 5 days vacation with my family. I want to list a few things that I liked a lot and some that I did not like:

What I liked:
1. The beach, the grounds, the peacocks.
2. People was mainly friendly - with some exceptions
3. The night shows - with some dark spots
4. Drinks were good
5. Animation staff: Stanley was AWESOME!!!!

What I didn't like
1. The food: it wasn't terrible and I would always find something I liked, but it was unflavorful - wasn't expecting this from caribbean cuisine.
2. The "handcrafts fair": one day they had a fair near the lobby area where some folks broght they overpriced merchandize and were extremely aggressive phisically pulling you to check out their stuff.So, you couldn't walk peacefully in that area for the whole afternoon
3. WiFi was extremely expensive: $10 a day for a service that didn't even work
4. Animation staff: while most of them was really nice, they were trying so hard to get people engaged in the games and activities that sometimes you felt like it was mandatory and you were completely out of line if you didn't want to play. One of the guys (the shorter, fatter lead animator) was undescribable disrespectful... I think many of the tourists didn't get his disrepectful jokes because they were drunk or because his english is terrible. But for us that speak spanish his jokes were very offensive - like when he told my mother she dances so bad because she probably just had surgery in both legs - and they still want people to participate.
5. Night show: 99% of it was awsome and very entertaining. The bad part is at the beginning, when the dancers ask guests to dance. This is good... the bad part is when they are dancing with you wishing they were dead instead of dancing with you. If they don't like that, they have to either start liking it of fake it! The worst was the guy - who thinks is larger than life - that does the Michael Jackson in the stars show, I guess he thinks he is way to good to be dancing with some silly tourists that doesn't match to his dancing skills (which are AWESOME - but still).

Room Tip: 11's are good, if you don't mind walking a little bit or wait for the little shuttle to get...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We enjoyed this resort as it is not too large compared to some of the others. There are three swimming pools with hot tubs. The beach is beautiful, very safe for children as it has a gradual decline, large with lots of lounge chairs. You can walk for miles along the white sand beach. For shade you have to sit under a palm tree. The room is modern and clean. There is one buffet, four alacarte restaurants, pizza snack bar and beach buffet (for lunch). We found the food to be good with lots of variety. There is a free bus to a shopping market everyday where the supermarket is a good place to buy rum, coffee, vanilla and cocoa. There is a beach market just to the side of the resort but we found the prices to be expensive even with bargaining. There is entertainment everynight, the dancing shows are the best. This is not our first time at this resort and we will stay again

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3100 or 3600 buildings are the closest to the buffet, main pool, reception and shops bu...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We purchased a trip within our budget and I think it is very true that "Barrato sale Carro" which means when you go cheap it ends up expensive. I proposed to my Fiance the night before we left. needless to say we were very excited to stay in PC. WE read the fine print after we bought and I know it was a mistake but It read out like there was a lot to offer when the fine print was discovered we were a little scared
I am going to keep this short and sweet....
The place was beautiful and well kept. The food went from cheap to cheaper. Re-use of food seemed to be in abundance. The drinks tasted of cheap liquor in the sense that I like a strong drink but not when the liquor makes it taste like I am trying to remove paint from my mouth, me no likey. The help was very nice and did a great job. The outside stores on the beach were ready to take advantage of any outsider who doesn't know prices of goods. i.e. someone bought three bracelets for 8 dollars american when My fiance was trying to get sold a bracelet for her ankle for 50 american and when she was walking away he dropped the price to 5??? Fishy? The reservation restaurants are not up to par. the dinners are like playing fancy, it looks fancy and seems fancy but it is not fancy at all. You get what you pay for if you want to ball on a budget this is ok but I have to say my best day on the island is when we got invited and went to the Hard Rock Resort and spent a day pass for all-inclusive activity there AMAZING!!!!
If you want to pay for wi-fi, pay for any calls even if its a taxi cab to go out it will cost you american money, eat cheap food and drink cheap liquor nothing against Brugal it just did not taste like Brugal I am used to. Pay for transport to and from airport and have little to nothing to do if it rains then by all means . Go here

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was our forth year at IFA. My husband and I love it. The hotel is very clean and the workers are all friendly. The hotel is not as big as some but that is more than ok with us. I hear people all the time on the way home complaining their hotel complexes are to big. IFA is just right. I really never care to stay anywhere else! we also always hear people complaining about the food. The food is what it is. It is good and keeps you full. If you want gourmet I suggest you spend way more money and go to a 6 golden star place. We took friends this year and they had a great time. Punta Cana is such a beautiful place I love it there. Would retire there in heart beat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to IFA Villas Bavaro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!