“The Best Time Ever!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Espana, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
Romulus
“The Best Time Ever!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

We are members of the Occidental Vacation Club and stayed in the Royal Club the week of November 7 thru November 14. I realize that the Occidental Grand Flamenco received some bad reviews lately-I was disturbed about this and couldn't wait to judge for myself what some people were talking about.

I know that I can only speak for the Royal Club accomodations, however, I did walk around the whole resort area and found it to be clean. My husband and I went to the lobby area of the resort at nite and did not experience the "prostitute" situation that has been mentioned in earlier reviews-it was a nice, enjoyable time!

The staff at the resort are also very good-they were accomodating and friendly-Jorge Puente, the general manager of the resort was amazing and approachable. As members of the Occidental Vacation Club, my husband and I visited with Francisco and Hector at least twice and felt very welcomed.

The Royal Club is amazing-we ate at the restaurant everyday and the food was fantastic-very tasty and well presented-it had a guormet flair to it. We also took time to eat at the buffets that were also good.

All in all, my concerns were put to rest-We felt safe, and no visible evidence of prostitution in the main lobby. My husband and I had a terrific time and met new friends. This is our fourth time at the Grand Flamenco and couldn't imagine going anywhere else for a relaxing vacation!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Stayed at Royal Club JS - spacious living room, dining room (basket of fruit and bottles of liquor to greet you), with separate bedroom (nice aromatherapy pillow service touch), 2 balconies & a very spacious marble bathroom with fluffy bathrobes. RC restaurant and service excellent. Private area with pool/whirlpool. Private section on the beach with lazorious day beds. Wide selection of Intl liquor. Private RC club to mingle.
Sparkling white sand beach. Enjoyed hobie cats, kayaks. Huge lazy river pools. Specialty restos enjoyed Mex best, Asian 2nd. Most nights at RC resto, with an upscale menu and VIP leisurely service. Have a grand beach party once a week.
Horseback riding at Pandora's ranch by the beachshore was so beautiful. 1/2 hour horseback riding is free - extra $30 for another 1/2 hour and riding by the beach - very worth it). Last trip, did speed boats and snorkelling. And jeep safari in the jungle. A real must.
Celebrated my birthday, what a special treat! A banner on the door, lovely flower arrangements, balloons and rose petals adorning the bed. And the most memorable private dinner on the beach, delicious grilled lobster under the stars, with the breeze of the ocean and soft romantic music in the background. What a memorable occasion.
Special thanks to Laura, Leandro, Jesus and so many others.
Mangu Club - u rock! The muscular dancer on rollerbades did acrobatics dancing with me - better than "Dancing with the Stars"! Caliente!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

We were a group of 24, youngest being 13 and oldest 65. Stayed from Nov 8-15, 2009.
Overall, we had a good time because we were determined to make the best out of our time there. There were a few negative things but I think there were more positives!
Negatives:
1) Too many outside sales personnel in and around the property.
2) Main Buffet always seems to be too full and as a Family we were always seated away from each other.
3) The bathrooms can use some serious renovations.
4) PERSONAL ISSUE!!! An outside company comes in with various PETS and would encourage Guests to take pictures with them and sell the pics to the guests if needed. This is OK...THE PROBLEM IS I AM TERRIFIED WHERE SNAKES ARE CONCERNED!!! AND THEY HAD SNAKES ON THE RESORT 3 DAYS THAT WE WERE THERE! The only good thing here is they have a schedule of which animals will be there and when.
5) We lost a few things from our room...shoes and some of the girls earrings and rings. We did not use locks on our suitcases so that could have been avoided.

POSITIVES:
1) Location of the resort.....25minutes from Airport and a small town is 5 minutes walk.
2) BEACH is EXTREMELY NICE AND CLEAN!!!!!!!
3) Main Pool is very nice.
4) BARTENDERS in general are very Pleasant and the service is efficient. SIMON was by far the BEST BARTENDER THERE!!
5) Lobby was very nice and spacious and waiter/waitress service was very good.
6) Most of the employees understood English well enough to make your trip comfortable.
7) The entertainment at night and the entertainment STAFF were VERY PLEASANT!! The MJ show was probably the best one!
8) The evening snack bars were very good.....TACOS were awsome!
9) Food in general was good enough ....we went to 5 A la carte and they were OK.

Overall, it was not a bad trip but I am sure you can get better for the price they are charging. I am not sure if I would or would not reccomend this resort, but it is NOT AS BAD as some others had to say here. If you do decide to visit here for your vacation, just remember it does not hurt to give a few bucks tips every now and then!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

A group of us just got back from the Occidential Grand Punta Cana. Thirteen of us, to be exact.

Negatives about the resort:
1. Plumbing problems. We had 8 rooms booked, most of us had some sort of plumbing issue. i.e. running toilets, poor drainage in tub, etc.
2. It’s big, there was a lot of walking to get from one thing to another.
3. The food wasn’t that good.
4. Not a lot of “activities”. We were a group of friends who wanted to dance and have things to do. They didn’t start live music until 11 at night, there wasn’t much going on at the disco, which also didn’t open until late. This resort is better for families or couples who like quiet.
5. Not enough towels.
6. Odd hours for food and drinks.
7. Rooms need to be upgraded. They need work.

Warnings:
1. You have to PAY for your drinks in the disco.
2. You have to PAY for a safe in your room. ($25)

Positives about the resort:
1. GREAT beach.
2. Nice pools, very clean.
3. Friendly staff and very helpful.
4. Beautiful grounds.
5. Mexican restaurant was good.
6. Visit Christina on the beach for a massage! (I went twice.)
7. Bumba (spelling?) If you end up with some stomach “issues” (which is common visiting the DR), seek out your nearest bar and ask for “bumba”, pronounced “boom-ba”. It is a local, medicinal, concoction that CURED my nausea. Wonderful stuff!
8. Spa was wonderful.

Overall, our trip was great, although we will probably not go back to the same resort. There were nicer places to stay for the same price.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Erieau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

November 2009
Arrival: Oct. 29 - Nov. 5 2009
Our resort arrival was by taxi and was quick and uneventful, although we did miss our pre booked transfer due to flight number being changed. Our flight from YYZ to the DR was #248 and was via Puerto Plata, flight from POP was #247 which was not listed on the arrival board at Punta Cana airport, we arrived early and our private driver who was looking for flight #248 and we did not see his vehicle in the parking lot. So after over a half hours looking and asking questions we took another taxi to the resort. I did apologize to Bronly the next day when he picked us up to go to the boys orphanage in Higuey.
Rooms:
On arrival at the resort we were immediately whisked away and registered in the Royal Club, a one bedroom suite, 2nd floor ocean view, simply beautiful. Within 10 minutes of arrival we were at poolside having an ice cold Presidente.
While we were in the Royal Club, I did take time to visit the Transat Preference and Prestige rooms of people who we made friends with at the airport on the way down. These rooms were very nice with Spanish terra cotta tile floors and well appointed rooms with a king bed, a full bath and a small sitting area adjacent to patio doors to a balcony that looked out in both cases to the pool area. Honestly these rooms would have been very adequate for our stay.
Restaurants and Bars:
Even though we were guests in the Royal Club we visited and used various buffets and a la carte restaurants to gain a good perspective of the entire resort.

Main buffet was very good for breakfast with separate omelette and egg cooking stations, there was a large selection of fresh fruits, juices, smoothies and many other foods available for our enjoyment. We also did eat one night at this same buffet, there was a huge selection of various meats and vegetables available, and nobody certainly should ever go hungry. The Dining area was very well appointed and also air-conditioned. Like most buffets the food which was on steam tables could have been hotter but in comparison to other buffets it was on par.

Beach buffet, an open air restaurant on the beach augmented by a nice breeze off the ocean made it quite comfortable; it had an excellent selection of pizza, meats, cheeses, fruits salads and veggies, something to suit everyone’s palate. Service by the wait staff was very good.

Japanese a la carte was quite good especially for those who like oriental cuisine; we are not into the sushi culture so stayed away from the appetizer sections of the menu. Our main course was very good and steaming hot and was very enjoyable. This particular a la carte is not a teppenaki style restaurant.

Italian a la carte was indeed a nice surprise with an exceptional range of pasta dishes as well as main courses cooked with an Italian flair; food was well presented and quite hot. There also was an excellent salad and soup bar available.

Brazilian a la carte, well the steak was very good and cooked to perfection. I overheard many people saying that they expected a Brazilian Rodisserio type menu with many types of braised meats brought to the table on larger skewers, when actually it is more like a grill restaurant.

Royal Club restaurant (members only) was a beautifully appointed room adjacent to the RC Jacuzzi pool, air conditioned comfort with eloquent service and a fine menu of appetizers, soups and salads with a different daily menu of main course dishes. Any we had been marvellously prepared and very tasty. This restaurant was open to members for breakfast, lunch and supper; we tried them all and were very impressed with the service and food quality.

Beach/Pools/Grounds:
Bavaro beach, what is there to say other than it is simply beautiful white sand and gorgeous blue colourations of the ocean. The resort had staff who were continually grooming the sands to make sure that there was no tourist generated debris around any of the loungers, when a glass was empty it was quickly removed, ash trays were available at all the palapa's.

All the pools were very nice well maintained and were very child friendly with walk in sections that gradually went to a depth of just over 3 feet. Swim up bars were available at the 2 we briefly visited. 90% of our time was spent on the beach.

While the Occidental is one of the older resorts in Punta Cana, arriving you are greeted into a large marble and Spanish terra cotta tile floored open air lobby that just sparkles. From the lobby you are led through a pathway of red painted and white curbed winding roadways through the myriad of beautifully white painted Spanish style buildings with orange tile roofs, pools and gardens that are meticulously maintained by a very friendly staff who always greet you with a friendly "hola".
One thing that does need attention is the roadway leading into the resort; it is quite rough and has many large potholes.
Activities on and off the Resort/Hotel:
Off resort we went to the El Mundo Meijor Children's orphanage in Higuey.
And of course did our usual Wednesday afternoon at Steve's Corner bar which was a short walk from the lobby.
Other Comments:
The resort was very well maintained and clean; the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Public washrooms in the lobby are very well maintained and clean as they were in any of the restaurant area. One exception was the large washrooms adjacent to the evening theatre, I was told that a number of toilets in the ladies side did not flush and was in need of a complete refit.

The resort 2 years ago when I was there, had started a complete renovation program of its rooms and this is now a continuing process spearheaded by their resident manager. The rooms that I did visit were very nice, and I am not prepared to say all rooms were like them but the occupants who we knew had no complaints.
I definitely did see a lot of wonderful improvements in the resort, and am sure more will be taking place in the near future.
As far as vacation club sales people a firm “no gracias” is all that is needed if you are not interested in a presentation.
Other comments an other review about hookers in the lobby was certainly not seen by us, in fact I even had to get authorization from Guest Services for my friend Punta Cana Mike to join us in the lobby for a cold beer before he took us back to the airport. We spent each evening pre and post dinner in the lobby bar and never saw anything that resembled this.
The Mangu disco is open for the general population; we never went there so I am not prepared to say what type of clientele was there.

Personally I do not see why anyone can not go to this middle of the road solid 4+ star resort and have a wonderful fun filled all inclusive vacation.
Please note that even though we stayed in the fantastic Royal Club section, has absolutely no bearing on this review, as I tried to see and did use as much of the resort as possible to give a true perspective of what to expect. I met with and discussed the resort with the resident manager and went over many of the points that would be included in this review.

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

We stayed in the Royal Club for a wonderful week. We had absolutely none of the issues the other people have stated. Weekends the pools were crowded with locals, but the rest of the week the resort was fine. We have a beautiful spacious room, the bathrooms really did need renovating, but the rest of the suite was very nice as was the spacious patio. We had most of our meals at the Royal club and they were much better than the average fare in the buffet which we did sample. Everyone was very friendly and treated us very nice. The beach is absolutely beautiful and the Royal club has a private beach area with very nice loungers and private bar. We did lose power and water one night but it did not both us too much as we were sleeping and we had brought a flashlight with us as we knew this could be a problem. I definitely would return again to the Royal Club.

toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Oct 31- Nov 7 >Just returned home from a terrible week at the worst resort I have ever been. Wehave been sick for almost a week now, food was not ediable even the fruit was awful. (most people on our bus had the same experience) We looked forward to having a nice steak at the a la carte steak house only to be told there was none that day. The Italian resturant the following night tasted like my shoe.

Harrassed every day by the salesman/ concierge about the "royal club" was also fun.... not

Our sickness started on Tuesday night as you can imagine there was a alot of "tiolet time" so wasn't it fabulous that the water was off most of the night followed shortly after by the power. A very romantic evening it was not.

The first day I left a tip of $20 for the maid in the hope of some pretty folded towels or whatever little thing which we did receive 1 day. I had to go "steal" coffee from their carts every morning as they never left any..... not once.

The hookers in the lobby were a nice touch, who does'nt want hookers on their holiday?

The comments that some of the male staff made about my wife were a bit offensive, (she understands spanish but they did'nt know that) we were often asked our room number for this reason and that reason. It was a very uneasy feeling at this place.

Not all bad though, 2 great comments the beach was amazing and the pizza place was excellent. We did have some freindly staff at the lobby bar and pizza joint, plus 1 very sweet lady in the steak place, but thats it the rest were rude and unperfessional.

If you have'nt figured it out yet I would never ever go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!