“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Espana, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Bavaro
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

very good food, the pools are awesome and right to swing but the best pool was the main pool with a bar in,pretty beach its warm and so transparent, mr fútball at the court was so great we played fútball tournament with him ,so everything nice..

• Stayed January 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First off thank you to Oliver, he was our Air Transat Rep....he was probably the biggest reason we at least relaxed and gave the resort a chance. Even though not every issue was resolved we were able to enjoy our holiday.
My husband, Son, Daughter-in-law, her Mom and our Grandson I stayed at the Occidental Grand last week. We got in on a later flight which was fine but we were quite taken aback by the condition of the room...It was not just dated in was a mess...guess they don't know a paint job can go along way...We had 3 Preferred rooms none were nearly as nice as pictured by the Hotel or Air Transat and actually not just because of the older furnishing but things were falling apart...however we did know that they are doing work and trying to restore...then I would probably return or up grade to Royal Club those rooms are supposed to be done, check the reviews and trust what they say.

That being said The food was great, dress codes in a la carte restaurants are very lax. Do be aware that your a la carte times and restaurants are pre-selected for you and you are not very likely to make changes with the hotel staff. We did find that the restaurants were more accomodating in providing changes. The grounds were very nice, clean and looked after, The staff was very friendly no complaints about them at all. And the beach well what can you say its Bavaro absolutely wonderful.
We did some off site stuff...went on buggy tour that was good (1/2 day) went to a bar called shooters in Cortecito and one in Los Corales as we are thinking about a longer stay next year maybe renting a condo so we wanted to get a feel for the place...we found the hotel staff was great at getting us transportation and letting them know where we were going and settling price. The people we met were very nice, we had no problem finding people who spoke English and helped us with ordering, explaining money helped us arrange transportation back...lots of Canadians in Punta Cana....very comfortable....but be casual not flashy and travel in small groups. Hoping the Occidental will finish fixing their rooms we would love to go back.

SO...If you want something reasonable around $1,000. per person all inclusive, nice beach, close to the airport, and want to wander around on your own this may be a great place...if you want luxury, top end, don't care to do anything off the resort on your own, and have a half decent budget say $1,500. per person you can certainly do better.

Room Tip: Go for Royal Club by the water, we stayed in Preferred Air Transat the building 25 it was close to...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We were planing 5 years for a trip to Dominican republic and we didn't know what to choose until we find occidental hotel,nice vacations with my whole life friend we are excited to have travelled there and have one of our best vacations ever,super Kendall was very handsome and friendly and all over he was walking and by us the beach was great omg so warm , coming back soon...

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is amazing... I've been here more than 4 times and i always feel like if is the first time... Excellent Service, Excellent Staff, food, etc... Everything in this hotel is GREAT... Best Regards to Arelis Ayala, i think she's the best staff ever...

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Winter time at dominican republic perfect to travel there and have a great vacacions by my wife and my kid,super kendall doing yoga was a nice buddy always laughting ,the music at the theathre was nice ,the beach was nicer than i imagined all were nice ...

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had been to this hotel several years ago and I must admit, this resort has really gone down in the rankings. The glassware/flatware in the buffet area were not the cleanest. The upholstery in the buffet area as well as in the lobby are disgusting (stained) and just plain dirty. I paid quite a bit of extra $$$ for the Grand Concierge Service (concierge to make your restaurant reservations, bathrobes, bottle of wine, fruit basket, etc.). I received absolutely nothing. When I went down to the Guest Services desk, the woman told me I would be getting my fruit basket. She said that every day that she saw me. I have sent at least 5 e-mails to several addresses that I found on the reservations site, including the one that refers to the GM_Occidental(as they do not have a headquarters) and I have not received a reply to any of them. I just want to be reimbursed my $$$. We were three adults but only 1 bed and 2 bath towels. I had to call to have a cot brought in (no pillows) and had to call back for that. As well, I had to call for extra towel. If I were to go back to Punta Cana, I would not hesitate going to another hotel, even if it cost me more, just so that the Occidental doesn't get my hard earned $$$. I paid alot of $$$ for my stay from December 27th-31st.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My initial impressions of Occidental were not the best, very noisy and chaotic in the lobby area and around the pool, not a particularly nice room, quite shabby and noisy with thin walls, although at least the noise from the pool area conveniently drowned out some of the noise from the people in the adjoining rooms.

However, after asking for a quieter part of the hotel they were able to give us an alternative room, with minimal fuss which was appreciated. The second room was much nicer, newer, cleaner and quieter.

The bed was fine, although possibly the worst pillow I've seen in a hotel room, it felt like a pillow case stuffed with rags. I used a towel from the bathroom instead.

Extensive buffet meals, but with a focus on quantity over quality. First impressions were OK but the food was pretty much the same day after day. Hotel guests seemed to be enjoying the unlimited quantity over limited quality and consuming all they can eat and drink in a perpetual feeding frenzy. I didn't realise it was possible to stack so much food on one plate. The food caters for simple tastes, no interesting local or regional options on offer, and a surprising lack of fresh fish and seafood.

I wasn't going to mention this as it's a serious allegation but having just read other reviews with similar complaints I feel I have to as the hotel must address this very serious issue. I also contracted some kind of food poisoning on the last day there, and spent the next ten days struck down with stomach cramps and diarrhoea. Never a good time for such illness, but that this coincided with my Caribbean cruise over New Year pretty much spoiled that experience.

Occidental simply does not have capacity for the number of guests they had squeezed in when I was there. You literally have to queue 5-10 mins just to get an omelette or pancake at breakfast.

Disappointing coffee particularly considering coffee is a major product of the country's agricultural industry. The only option most of the time was instant coffee from a machine, which they even switch off half the time as coffee was not available at lunchtime.

Advance booking is required for the a la carte restaurants, and they were fully booked throughout the entire time we were there & so we weren't able to experience the full scope of hotel facilities. You need to play the game and compete with the other guests and be quick enough to figure out how to get in first. I failed in this challenge.
The Mexican diner without pre booking was good and a bit more relaxed so we ate there several times.

I had never been on the all inclusive conveyor belt before and it was an experience. This culminated with the icing on the cake on our penultimate day: the sales pitch to join their premium membership / timeshare scheme. I didn't realise what it was I was being roped into when I was offered a chance to have a meal in their member's area. They lied: there was no meal but instead a sales pitch. Be prepared for the hard sell, lies, questionable logic and bordering fraudulent financial analysis to try and persuade you to mortgage your future. I pity the naive and gullible that sign up to a 25 year sentence. Caveat emptor.

The "Entertainment" program was very noisy and in your face, and inescapable. If you want to relax on the beach in peace and quiet then this is not the place for you.
The hotel claims to have scuba diving on site, you can indeed book it there but it was not actually possible to dive direct from the hotel, and they don't have an actual dive shop or facilities on site.

Supposedly "all inclusive" but with lots of hidden costs. You have to pay extra if you want to use the safe in the room. WiFi is prohibitively expensive. There were never any towels available by the pool. The concierge desk shamelessly tried to massively overcharge me for taxi transfers, lowest price they would agree to was twice what I managed to arrange myself by contacting a taxi company directly.

An unforgettable stay...for all the wrong reasons.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!