Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Grand Time at the Occidental Grand!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Espana, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Perry, New York
“Grand Time at the Occidental Grand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Just returned from 7 days and nights at the Occidental Grand. Unbelievable experience. The beaches are so beautiful they look fake. The staff treated us like we were in 5 star hotel. We traveled with a fairly large group of well traveled and educated people. Not only were there no complaints, but we all had a great time. The restaurants can boast some of the best food we have had while vacationing. Italian, Mexican, Oriental, Steak house, Wood fired Pizza, fresh tacos, Incredible buffet (complete with omelet, crepe, smoothie, meat, pasta, fruit, desert, and salad stations) Wait staff wonderful in every one, not to mention the bars and bar tenders. Franklin knew our favorite drinks down at the beach by the end of the first afternoon. Not only was he funny and entertaining, but actually sought us out at the beach and delivered our drinks whenever he had a chance. He went above and beyond to make it a perfect vacation. The lobby was a hub of activity and entertainment. Bar tenders in the lobby did an awesome job too. Helping us find the perfect frozen drinks. Upon arrival we were greeted by Yaniris at the reception area. She should be in management. She treated us as if we were family and represented the Hotel as if she had stock in the resort. She new our names and room number the first day. Rarely do you find a young woman with the social and business skills that can make you feel like royalty. Every need was tended to quickly and efficiently, she made each guest feel like they were the only ones in the hotel. No request was an imposition to her, and she showed us how to navigate this large resort with ease. Don't be afraid to take advantage of the concierge in each building. They know how to direct you to day trips, restaurants, pools, entertainment, towels, and anything else that will make your stay the optimal. If you want to experience the Caribbean at it's best make arrangements to stay at the Occidental Grand Punta Cana, you won't be sorry. The entire staff is geared to making your stay the first of many. We became attached to the staff and did not want to leave. The only suggestion we would have would be to have the entertainment on stage geared more to the adult crowd after 9:00. We saw entertainment every night but it was directed more towards the children. There were two nights that flee markets were set up at dinner time and we appreciated the chance to shop with local artists without leaving the resort.

Room Tip: We were happy with building 24, 2nd floor. Quiet and close to the pool and beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

the grounds were very nice and well maintained. The rooms very outdated, but clean. The staff was very questionable, a honeymoon couple we hung out with were scammed by their buildings concierge and the management didn't seemed concerned or willing to resolve situation until pressured to do so. On two separate occasions I was asked to tip, which I do at all-inclusives, but did not appreciate being asked. The restaurants were very nice, really enjoyed the Surf and Turf at Steakhouse. For the price it was a good deal. Spent 11 days and 10 nights at resort. P.S. yes jb7456 was correct, if u want a safe it was $25 to get a lock. 1 last thing, be prepared costs $10 to entry country.

Room Tip: either face pool or face beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I just returned a few days ago from a week's stay at the OG with my husband and 2 small children (3 and 1). We booked this place because a) we wanted the ease of an all-inclusive place due to the ages of our children, and b) the price was so, so, so affordable. Knowing that, b/c of our kids, we weren't going to be taking advantage of a good amount of the amenities, we didn't want to pay a ton more money to stay at a different resort. I was nervous about staying here due to the reviews I read, but I was mostly pleasantly surprised by our stay, so wanted to write a balanced review based on our experiences.

We didn't partake in any of the shows, late nightlife, excursions or shopping, so this review only reflects the basic amenities that we enjoyed.

The Good:

The beach was the main reason why we came, and it was fabulous. There was a constant breeze, it was mostly quiet, and I never felt hot. The ocean was seaweed-y but not very rough. The one odd thing was having to wake up at 5:30 AM to claim a spot under an umbrella. I'm not sure if this is a Russian thing, as the majority of tourists there were Russian. Either way, my husband woke up a few days during the week to grab us a spot, and the rest of the time we made due by finding a spot that was not underneath an umbrella, but still shady. It worked out. The pool was nice but a little scummy in parts. My son loved it so we were in there a few times and the swim-up bar was well-located. A few reviewers said that they close the pool at 6 on the dot and start dumping chemicals in it- we lost track of time on 2 occasions and were in the pool playing with our kids well past 6 pm without this ever happening.

We had no problems with the service. We didn't expect the staff to fawn all over us and we only needed a few things along the way, which were addressed without trouble. We tipped here and there and the next day when the staff saw us again, they went even further to help us out. We do speak fluent Spanish which I'm sure gave us an advantage. We were able to make a dinner reservation at each of the 4 restaurants within the week, not just at 3, as other reviewers mentioned. My husband tipped the cleaning lady $5 and asked if she could put beer in the mini-fridge since we aren't soda drinkers. She seemed thrilled by the tip and it was there when we returned to the room that day. Sure, there were a few staff members who were not quite as friendly as others, but overall, people smiled, were nice and courteous, always making a fuss over our kids and offering to get us a high chair, etc. They are very hard-working. We never purchased the use of the safe and instead zipped up our valuables into hidden compartments of our suitcases and nothing was ever stolen or moved around.

The lobby and grounds were very well-kept and it was easy to find your way around. Yes, certain things look shabby and outdated, but it didn't bother us or impact our stay.

The OK:

The food was fine. Some things were outstanding, like the pizza, and a seafood dish we had at the Italian restaurant. Other things were not very good, like the white wine (avoid!), the food at the snack bar (Velveeta-like nacho cheese, saltless tortilla chips). I was never enamored with much of the food, but we had no difficulty finding decent stuff to eat. Though they often served a lot of the same things every day, there was such a variety of things to choose from that I can't see why people would complain. I had no trouble getting 2 cups of coffee every morning, my kids ate happily, and we definitely were never hungry or left dissatisfied at the end of a meal. It wasn't 5-star cuisine, but, as with everything else, we didn't pay for that level of quality. Same goes for the liquor- most of it seemed to be cheap, local brands, but if you asked for your drink to be made stronger, or without ice, they obliged. I also found the red wine totally drinkable.

The room was OK, but for what we needed as a family, it was again perfectly adequate for our needs. We were in building 10, which was the furthest from the beach and closest to the lobby. Our room did not look nearly as shabby as I expected based on the reviews I read here. Our balcony overlooked the pool, but the day and nighttime music didn't interfere with our kids' sleep and so we werent bothered by it. We messed up the room every day; there was always sand everywhere and our bathroom floor did get wet from giving them baths, but we were at the BEACH! And it was cleaned every day and we never had our AC leak or our toilet back up. Our ceiling was well in-tact, it didn't leak the one time it downpoured for a bit, and there were no mosquitos or ants to be found (just addressing what other reviewers have complained about). Again, our room was not 5 star luxury but it was clean and worked well for what we needed, which was a place to bathe, sleep/nap and change.

A few times we did get approached by staff members inviting us to a "VIP breakfast" or offering us a free gift, etc., and we just politely (and repeatedly) declined. I found it was better to be straight-forward by saying "we weren't interested" vs. making up excuses, as they will persist. We weren't harrassed in those situations, nor were we ever harrassed, followed, or touched by the sidewalk vendors selling their jewelry or other goods. One guy asked me kindly to come look at his table, I politely declined, end of story. Same goes for the people selling things on the beach. They absolutely never harassed or bothered us.

The bad:

The mattresses were pretty gross. They did not use fitted sheets and just tucked in flat sheets overtop the mattresses, so after my 3 year old tossed and turned all night he woke up pretty much sleeping on a bare mattress, and it was not in good shape. That skeeved me out a little.

The vast majority of the tourists there were smokers, particularly most of the large Russian population. Not really the resort's fault, and they don't let you smoke in the restaurants, but having our kids (and us!) constantly breathing in everyone's smoke while we ate outside or sat on the beach was a turn-off and would probably prevent me from going back.

Throughout the last half of our stay, the beach shower that you use to rinse your sandy feet off was broken and so we dragged even more sand into our hotel room at the end of each day, which was annoying.

As I said, I can't speak directly about the entertainment, but the shows sounded pretty lame, and I heard them do a performance of the same songs within the 7 days we were there (I could hear the singing and music from our room). My 3 year-old loved the kids' entertainment around 8 pm every night, so that's the only entertainment we saw.

All in all, for what we paid, we feel like we got a great value. We walked away with a nice vacation, great family photos on a beautiful beach, and a fun time eating and drinking and attempting to relax. If you pay around the price we paid and expect a 5-star luxury retreat, your expectations are unrealistic. This is a fantastic value for an all-inclusive resort and a gorgeous beach stay on a budget.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Cheektowaga, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

the beach was beautiful, and the pools nice. I would not come back to this resort. it needs to be updated big time. everytime I flushed the toilet I was in fear it was going to back up and overflow. a lot of the bathrooms outside of the rooms the toilets would not flush at all. Gross! the food at the buffets was good but not so much at the specialty restaurants. the Italian was very good but not the others. the staff was nothing but rude except for the front desk. they were very friendly. the bar tenders and servers acted like they didn't want to be there and a lot of times completely ignored us. I have been to punta cana before and stayed at a different resort that was awesome. I will never come back to this one.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

So Occidental......unless you splurge for the Royal Club from the get go your screwed! The room was pretty outdated. Never before have I had to pay for a safe in the room. The point was not the $25 fee but more you go out of the country you want to know you can put your money and Passport in a safe place, a safe in the room should be a given. The staff, overall not very friendly. Then when I did make a complaint I was told both my friend and I would be given 2 complimentary massages and a Great private breakfast. HA!!!! more like same damn breakfast everyone else was getting and the "Free" massages came with a price. Sitting through a damn presentation to get you to buy a time share equivalent!!! Again on vacation not looking to be spending $25,000 for future trips. Then not only was this ridiculous and so intrusive during MY trip but then it was only!! one 25 minute massage!!! Wth! And the alcohol.......awful. You want to talk cheap liquor well if that's what you like then Occidental is the place to be. Brands I have never even heard of, which led my friend and I to buy a bottle of Stoli from the shop for $38.00 and $4.00 cans of Red Bull to actually enjoy a Real cocktail on our All Inclusive Vacation @ Occidental!

Room Tip: Choose a different resort
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Glace Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

we stayed at the occidental from march 29 to April 5,this resort has a good layout it's really easy to find your way around now about the resort its a beautiful resort with lovely pools and a beautiful beach the rooms are very clean but a little dated the front desk were great they treated us really good now the food if you go hungry here its your fault the main buffet is loaded with all kinds of different food as for the a la carte I liked the Italian and steak house the best but make sure you want your steak cooked more then medium rare if not you will get it red Occidental are really lucky to have a good workforce like they have the people there are so nice and I want to thank them all I will return to this resort

Room Tip: we stayed at block 10 which you get a pool view if you can get the front rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bilbao, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Am still here for another few days and have to agree that you get what you pay for. It is nothing out of the ordinary but then again I did not pay for out of the ordinary. I am happy with a clean room, good food and friendly people. The beach is beautiful and the grounds clean. The staff in the buffet are great if you have a smile for them and take the time to say hello and thank you.
It may be that others have higher expectations but in my opinion if you want more you have to pay more. Relax, enjoy and next week when I am back at work I'll be wishing I was back here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!