We did a quick trip (Friday- Monday) to DR to stay at the Occidental Grand Punta Cana resort. The grounds, beach and pool are lovely and well maintained. There are multiple places to eat and Isilio at the Beach Bar was one of the few exceptional staff members with his friendliness and efficiency (we also tipped him quite well so maybe that's the key).
Unfortunately, there were issues that could be fixed if the hotel would pay more attention to guest details. Upon check-in, we were not told of any daily activities, or where we could find listings of such so we had no idea what was going on at the resort the whole time. Upon check-out, the attendant was rude and rushed and handed us a small piece of paper which we almost threw away. Come to find out, you needed to give this to the Transport driver.
The "concierge" in our building called us at 8:00 am the first day after our arrival and put a note under our door asking us to meet him in the afternoon for a "Free Gift". I suspected, and was correct, that this was just a dumb ploy to get us to listen to a presentation about "Time Shares" so we said "thanks but no thanks". When I asked him for help with dinner reservations about 15 minutes later, he responded that I could make them myself (this is after he had just offered to make them for us). Rude, Rude, Rude. He then proceeded to ignore us the rest of the stay.
The speciality restaurant food was average at best and the Italian restaurant was the worst. They did make great smoothies and omlettes however for breakfast and the brick oven pizza was really tasty.
The beach was beautiful and safe. They kept the "Hawkers" to a reasonable amount and if you said "no Gracious" they were very friendly and left you alone. I was expecting them in the DR, so it was not a surprise.
In general, the resort was pretty and seemed to have a lot to offer. Unfortunately, we never really got to find out what that was due to the lack of organization and staff attention.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The experience of staying at the Occidental Grand Punta Cana Resort***** means waking up every day in front of a marvelous coral beach and the beautiful sea of Bavaro Beach. Guests will also enjoy some of the best culinary selections, and leisure and sports activities in the Dominican Republic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Otel, Agoda, Travelocity, Despegar.com, getaroom.com and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Grand Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Grand Flamenco Punta Cana
- Occidental Punta Cana
- Flamenco Punta Cana
- Grand Flamenco Occidental Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Occidental Grand Flamenco
- Occidental Flamenco Punta Cana