Three of us stayed at this resort November 16 to 23. I usually stay at the Iberostar chain but thought I'd try Occidental as we had a good experience at the Occidental Grand Xcaret in Mexico last year.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed with this resort and found myself longing to go home and grateful I was only staying a week. Although it wasn't the resorts fault, my holiday started with my luggage being left on the bus and going to another hotel. Thanks to the hard work of my travel rep, not the Occidental staff, my bag was retrieved several hours later. Our first view of the grounds revealed all of the pools surrounded by yellow caution tape (mother natures fault....torrential rainfall earlier in the week). Thankfully two of the smaller pools were opened the next day.
We were in building 26, right at the beach. I found the room to be adequate but was concerned about the moldy smell which I believe could be traced to the heavy curtains that looked quite black in places. My paranoid mind then wondered about the air conditioning unit and Legionaries disease....LOL, so far still healthy! Also, the promised bathrobe and slippers and beach towels were not in our room when we arrived. When the bathrobes did get there, they were quite ratty looking and didn't have sashes. One night we went without bath towels and had to chase down another roll of toilet paper.
My biggest complaint was the poor service in the buffet. As other travelers have stated, we had to line up, wait for table settings and wait for drinks. I've never experienced this at other resorts. They had a lovely buffet down by the beach that is only open at lunch. I think they are missing a great opportunity to serve guests by not having it open in the morning for breakfast and open as a seafood restaurant at night.
Everyone is drawn to the lobby area in the evening and they don't have nearly enough seating.
Again, another missed opportunity to engage guests. The shows in the evening were really quite good and they usually had something back in the lobby after the show. Although I didn't seek out any activities provided by the entertainment staff, I did observe them in the evening and found they didn't interact with the guests. I have been to other resorts where they get people up dancing (just like in Dirty Dancing!), but this staff seemed very uninterested.
I got very sick on the last day and couldn't make it dinner. The next morning I spoke to several people who were also sick. We suspected something from the lunch buffet.
Beautiful grounds and a beautiful beach can be found at any resort in Punta Cana, so my advice is until the Occidental gets its act together, try another resort. We all work long and hard to enjoy our holidays and we should expect better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The experience of staying at the Occidental Grand Punta Cana Resort***** means waking up every day in front of a marvelous coral beach and the beautiful sea of Bavaro Beach. Guests will also enjoy some of the best culinary selections, and leisure and sports activities in the Dominican Republic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Otel, Travelocity, Agoda, Despegar.com, getaroom.com and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Grand Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Grand Flamenco Punta Cana
- Occidental Punta Cana
- Flamenco Punta Cana
- Grand Flamenco Occidental Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Occidental Grand Flamenco
- Occidental Flamenco Punta Cana