I like to read the write-ups on vacation spots to see what is up. I always tend to give the hotels the benefit of the doubt as some people are just too fussy and want a 5 star resort on a 3 star budget (this isn't happening).
The write ups were not very favorable and they just kept coming in worse as we got closer to our departure date of Feb 12/15 to Feb 26/15.
I decided to call Sunwing and let them know that they are promoting a resort where people are getting violently sick with e-coli, I decided that I wanted to change resorts, and maybe go to La Romana Viva Whyndam (which is a 31/2 star hotel), Sunwing advised that it was going to cost almost a $1000.00 extra, which was out of our budget so we decided to take our chances. Wellllllllll……did we ever. !st off we Paid for a Superior swim up room which we didn’t get and advised the front desk the same evening of arrival, Quelly advised that we would have to pay $10.00 extra per day (which was already paid for through Sunwing) and advised him of this, they said to come back the following day. The following day I went to the front desk and dealt with the lady boss and she got us room 10122 lovely room (thank you). Later into the 2nd morning we had a meeting with Jimmy the Sunwing Rep, I asked him straight up what they had done to rectify all of the bad publicity regarding people getting sick, he avoided the matter and wanted to get straight to selling the tours (very arrogant person, I’m disappointed with Sunwing having people represent their company like that he also was quite proud of his reputation on trip advisor). Later that day the cramping started over a period of 2 days I took 8 Imodium Pills and drank ¾ of a bottle of Kaopectate and was still unable to leave the room this continued for 4 days. It's not just the occasional trots, its like half an hour after you eat, you're done for!!!! stomach pain, hot & cold sweats. My husband was eating alone and bringing bread, cheese & bananas back to the room for me. One day I was able to report to Jimmy (Sunwing Rep) of my sickness and was told he will put in a report (didn’t write anything down), when I asked for a copy he advised that Sunwing advised him not to release any report to me…..
I was also in contact with Sunwing (in Toronto) asking them to please get me off the resort, they then advised me to speak to Jimmy who did nothing but advise it was reading week and nothing was available. Don’t forget I had booked this vacation for 2 weeks. People we had met were there for 2 weeks and they had to leave after the 1st week due to illness (food issues).
My Husband and I have vacationed in the Dominican many, many times so we are used to getting a little upset stomach towards the end of the vacation etc.
They also have a problem with the door keys, we had to keep going to the Reception to get them re booted which was a hassle.
The resort it’s self was lovely, the pools were nice, not enough lounge chairs in block 10, we figured out that there are approx 75 room 2 people per room 150 people and 28 lounge chairs around the pool and yes I have to agree people would put towels on them and be gone for the day. This was not fair to other people.
When I was able to finally get out of the room and wonder around the resort we did meet some wonderful people, who upon their return home have since been diagnosed with e-coli.
Some of the staff were exceptional, Maria Ventura she works in the buffet & Maria Isabel she worked the bar in the 10 block she made me some drink without booze to relax my stomach. Isabel all the best upon your new baby’s arrival.
The Beach was very disappointing, it has eroded away to nothing (all along the coast) in talking to the locals in the past 3 years this has been very predominant, the beach in front of Vista Sol was covered in Pine needles and again didn’t have enough lounge chairs for the amount of people. They also took away from the beach by putting a soccer area there which was not used that often.
Entertainment was So so, It would have been better to do the Diploma presentations earlier in the evening or give them out as they are won. It just gets tiring listening to it every night.
A Casino was advertised as being on the resort but there wasn’t one.
The a la carte restaurants you have to line up every day to make a reservation you couldn’t book for 2 or 3 days ahead. This was ridiculous people are on vacation and don’t want to spend from 9-11 am in the morning lining up to make reservations for 1 day.. The Beach Bar & grill the Hamburgers were absolutely gross looking, my husband tried one and couldn’t get is teeth through it, the only thing good was the French fries (when they were hot).
I could keep going on but enough is enough we have to move on.
Would I recommend this Hotel NOT on YOUR life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The location and the lay-out of the hotel is such that it possesses an ample beach that offers one of the largest amount of square meters per guest in the vicinity. The existing beach vegetation has been re-distributed to ensure adequate space for those wishing to enjoy sun or shadow. Together with the pristine beach and the transparent blue sea water our clients will find the relaxed atmosphere they are looking for. The beach is also ideally suited for long walks. Vista Sol Punta Cana has 471 rooms, the right size to be able to provide a personal service to our guests. Together with the colorful mature tropical gardens it offers two unique selling points when a hotel selection is to be made. Vista Sol Punta Cana is the perfect option for couples of all ages, honeymoons, romantic getaways or just to get away from it all and relax in peaceful tropical setting. WiFi is available throughout the hotel. Free of charge only in and around the theater and at an additional charge everywhere else. Evening entertainment includes professional shows and a discotheque where the drinks (local brands) are on the house. For golf aficionados the nearest golf course in only five minutes away (green fees payable), for shopping aficionados the largest local shopping mall - Palma Real Shopping Center - is nearby. Vista Sol Punta Cana further offers 3 pools, kids pools, 2 jacuzzi, 3 tennis courts, mini golf. Mini club, 7 bars (including the beach bar and pool bars), a sportsbar, 1 bufet restaurant and 3 a la carte specialty restaurants ( Mexican, Italian and Gourmet). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Vista Sol Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carabela Beach Hotel Punta Cana
- Carabela Beach Resort And Casino
- Carabela Bavaro Hotel
- Carabela Bavaro Punta Cana