“An intimate taste of Dominican hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Karibo Punta Cana

You added Karibo Punta Cana to your Saves list
Karibo Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Av. Italia en White Sands Golf & Beach Resort, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“An intimate taste of Dominican hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for only one night but wished we could have stayed longer. When you want to be away from the bustle of all-inclusive resorts, this is the place to go. The suites are spacious, modern and clean. You don't have to rise before dawn to reserve your poolside lounger. Staff members go out of their way to attend to your every need. The food is decent and the drinks are great. This is an intimate, friendly place where you really get to know the local culture at a very relaxed pace. It does not have the bells and whistles of the larger resorts, yet it is the perfect place to get away from it all. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Extremely pleasant stays both times we visited; beautiful, spacious rooms, great location and awesome amenities. What really sets Karibo apart however is the staff; Juan Pablo went out of his way to help meet and exceed our needs. Great people and great value, I highly recommend it and we'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I own a hotel myself and I have never been someone who is easily pleased. I have been to Bavaro many times, and each time end up in a horrible all-inclusive and come home with food poisoning. So this time I thought I'd try something different and booked an apartment at Karibo for a weekend away with friends.

The service is unusually good by Dominican standards. The staff gave us a genuinely warm welcome, showed us the apartment, checked that everything was working, and constantly asked us if everything was OK.

The apartments are really nice, way nicer than the usual standard of rental apartments. Ours had two good sized bedrooms, each with a private bathroom and dressing room, a huge lounge area and two balconies. Wifi is free and worked (again unusual) and the fitted kitchen is very well stocked with cooking equipment.

I liked the fact that it was largely quiet and peaceful (even though we had a 2 year old in our party). The other guests all seem to be quite mature, it's a grown up atmosphere.

The location was good for us - we have a car, and we drove to the beach which took some time to find since other hotels in Bavaro do their very best to block all attempts to access the beach to keep locals off (shame on them). There is a free beach shuttle provided if you don't have a car. At night it's walkable to the bars in Bavaro, although a little dark on the road. If you get a taxi, be warned they charge US$10 for a 2 minute ride.

We didn't eat the food in the restaurant, but I did check the menu and I was surprised by what good value it seemed to be. Prices seemed incredibly low and the quality looked good. The restaurant seemed to be busy with non-guests, so I'm definitely going to try it on my next visit.

The only things which I could moan about were that I found the music by the pool to be a bit too loud - I did ask them to turn it down and they did. It's nice music, but you could hear it in the apartments, and as the DR is such a noisy country anyway, a bit of peace and quiet is a real treat. The other moan is that they provide dishwashers in the apartment, but no dishwasher soap (the cleaners don't even have this). I don't expect many guests bring their own, so it just seems strange for the hotel not to supply.

But these are both minor points. I will definitely be back at Karibo. They are doing an excellent job, I'm pleased they are getting so many good reviews on Tripadvisor, they definitely deserve these.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I liked this place a lot. The man at the reception, Juan Pablo, was very helpful. The rooms were huge. Very spacious and clean. And for a bonus, they have very good security. For the money, I don't think you can find anything with comparable value.

• Stayed November 2013
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

For those who want peace and quiet. Really well equipped apartments, home atmosphere. The place not only to rest, but to live. Before I changed 3 hotel in search of quiet. Not helped any five stars. Everywhere all the same - noise in the neighbor rooms, cries from the corridor. Karibo - the first place in which I woke up without the help of neighbors

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Everything was wonderful. I would like to mention only one wish to service the hotel, take care of and clean the beach area on the shore. although they do not interfere, it was a lot of dried seaweed, which spoil the beautiful view of the beach and the sea.
Everything else was great. Very kind staff, ready to help in any detail, comfortable and cozy apartments, great food and great weather.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was in Bavaro for a 14 Night Holiday staying at a different property, but I needed an overnight stay at a different hotel for personal reasons. I searched on bookings.com for a property in the area, and the Karibo Punta Cana came up, it seemed to fit the bill, and I looked on trip advisor for comments and they were favourable. I phoned the property and spoke to a very helpful gentleman, whose name I cannot remember, but he is in a few of the photos on here, and arranged a room for the night.

When I arrived to check in the same gentleman greeted me, quickly checked me in, then showed me to my apartment and explained everything to me. He gave me the option of room, only, bed and breakfast, or full board. I chose room only as that was all I needed, and indeed one of the reasons I stayed here because it had the room only option. For what I paid I thought the apartment was very good. Excellent size lounge, kitchen, king size double bed with good linen, and a good bathroom. A/C throught the apartment, and tastefully decorated, it tick all the boxes for me.

I had a very comfortable night, and had breakfast the following morning(yes I changed my mind), which was good value, and there was a good selection on the a la carte to choose from. Check out was as easy as check in and I have no complaints whatsoever about this property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Karibo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!