“a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro, km. 1, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Ottawa, Canada
“a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

as me and my family of 4 (2 teenage daughters and me and my husband)stayed at the Barcelo, we enjoyed the experience. i am going to give you my honest opinion of our stay:

Rooms: we were originally placed in one of the un-renovated rooms, because of the angency we booked with, and were displeased with what the room offered. they were quite out dated, but still manageable. the shower was quite slippery, and the screen door broke off. my husband called the fron desk about these problems, and we came back to our room STILL not fixed. my husband complained to the front desk, and insisted for another better room. they placed us in the newly renovated rooms, which was definatly a huge step up compared to what we were in before. the rooms were kept clean and the fridge was restocked every day.

Food: each morning we went to the buffet for breakfast, and we would go for lunch too. the food was nothing special, but i had no problems with it, seeming it was a buffet after all. we enjoyed the smoothie bar and the the variety of fruits to choose from, especially the passion fruit. dinners were pretty good, the steakhouse reasturant was good,and so was the mexican. the others were definatly good too. one problem we found annoying was that when my husband would go and make reservations, he HAD to wear the proper clothes (pants and closed toed shoes) if he wanted to make a reservation. the last night we decided to go to the japanease reasturant, and that was the est dinner of the trip. the service was great, and the food was exceptional, not to mention the show they put on for you while making it.

Pool/Beach: the pool and the beach were the best parts of the resort. the pool was exceptionally clean, and the beach was very tidy also. there was always lounge chairs to sit on, and plenty of palm trees to sit under if you want some shade. the swim-up bar in the main pool was very good. the bar tenders were very friendly, and i had no problem with the drinks *tip: giving the bar tenders an extra couple of $ isn't a bad idea* i enjoyed the beach arobics and the dancing by the beach.

Service: we found many of the waitresses and bar tenders to be very kind and high-spirited. our favourite was Santiago at the aldult-only reasturant/bar. we thought the managers were friendly and kind, and we never had problems with the staff.

fr the excursions, we went on the snorkeling one where you can swim over the coral reef and hold giant sting rays and swim over sharks. not only was the snorkeling fun,but the staff of the boat were amazing, they played music and you could dance and they made drinks for everyone, everyone on the boat seemed to greatly enjoy this tour especially.

i hope you found this review helpful, and i would definately consider going back again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have read your kind note regarding your stay with us. It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal, the continuous improvement of our services. We will gladly pass your remarks to our Staff at the Restaurants, especially to Santiago at the Bar Cielo.

At Barceló Hotels & Resorts we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence.
We will be waiting for your visit on your next vacation and it is our sincere hope to welcome you soon.

Kind regards,

General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,152)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The pictures on their website do not do this resort justice. It is so beautiful ! The food was wonderful and the rum was plenty. There was always something for everyone to eat at the buffets. The snack bar is open 24 hours and a great place for that midnight snack. The staff was very accomodating for our group of 60. We went for a wedding and they did a wonderful job not only with the ceremony but the receptions as well. The staff even stopped people walking on the beach for the perfect pictures. There is plenty to do for all ages. If you like to golf it's a little pricey, but bring your own golf balls, they charge for those. The resort is very clean. If you want a good spot next to one of the pools or the beach you do have to go and stake your claim about 8:00. We had great spots each time and no one messed with our towels. If you tip the staff a dollar here or there you will get better service. My husband and I were able to upgrade our room for an ocean view at a great price. So if the room location is not a must have then buy a lower package and try to upgrade when you get there. Building 5 or 6 is perfect for the closeness to beach, pools, and resturants. This resort is perfect for families as well, as they have game rooms, snack bar, mini golf, and water park. Some of the staff did not speak english but if they couldn't figure out what you wanted they did find someone to help you. Reserve your times for the resturanrts as soon as you can as they do fill up fast. Overall it was a wonderful time and I would recommend this resort to everyone. We are planning a return trip already for next year with a big group of friends.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 6 over quicker routes to the pools, beach, and resturants.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel. We appreciate your compliments to the design of our Golf Course as well as your positive impression in regards to our Staff members and our culinary options, especially your remark to the 19 Hole Restaurant with a beautiful overlooking to the golf course designed by the famous PB. Dye.

We appreciate your preference and we thank you for recommend us as the ideal place to enjoy family vacations. We have a commitment to provide our guest the most memorable holiday in the Caribbean.

Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent 9 days in the Barcelo Bavaro Palace de Luxe in Punta Cana for the new year. Great location with good services to relax with your family.
Pros :
- Very good price/quality ratio
- Overall services and rooms quality (great duplex room for a family of 4)
- Buffets, bars and restaurants
- Sports (in particular the tennis courts with the very two nice folks Antonio and Luis Daniel)
- Very convenient late check-out 4.00 P.M (reasonable pricing : 45 USD)
Cons :
- Very large hotel (sometimes too crowded)
- Special charges applied for tennis at night (15 USD) and mini golf at night (5 USD) !
- Disgraceful price for golf (65 USD/person for a golf mini car)
- Behaviour of local managers "telling off" employees at the restaurant in front of the customers

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe for your family vacation, as well as for letting us know about your experience of New Year 2013 with us.

It is a real pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. May rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel as well as you special mention to Antonio and Luis Daniel from our Entertainment Staff. Just to remark that even though there are extra services, our guests have the resort credit for use in our facilities and the Golf among other services that could have a discount using our promotion of credits resorts.
We would like to express our gratitude once again for sharing your positive impressions of your recent stay with us and we hope to welcome you on your next visit to the Dominican Republic.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the resort December 7-16. The main reason we chose this location is for the golf course. Although I do not play, my husband played almost every morning. What made the experience even better is that golf fees were included daily and all he had to do was pay for a golf cart rental. FYI...you HAVE to use a golf cart and the fee is per person. I believe he paid $40 each time. Looking back, that was one of the few highlights of the trip. The rest of the trip is summarized below:

BEACH/POOL - Beautiful and clean. We spent most of our time on the beach and loved it. The chairs are comfortable and there is a constant breeze. The staff works hard to remove seaweed and the water was the perfect temperature. There are a lot of free activities (e.g. sailing, paddle boats, aerobics, etc.) and everyone participating seemed to enjoy themselves. I really took issue with the fact that you were given "towel cards" that limited you to one towel. This is the first resort I've ever been to that gave you a card, limited you to one towel and charged you if you lost the card or the towel. Seemed very low budget to me, especially considering a lot of the towels were old, fraying and thin.

ROOMS - Upon first look, the rooms are nice. The layout is a bit odd, but I think it's standard for all inclusive caribbean rooms. Very little privacy so be comfortable with your travel partner. My husband and I are used to them. Although we did not use it, there was a jacuzzi on the patio. The bed was comfortable enough and the mini bar was stocked daily. Now for the bad. The shower temperature was hit or miss. Some days I had to let the water run for 10-15 mins for it to get warm. Other days I would have to let it run for the same amount of time to get ANY cold water. One day I almost burned myself because no cold water came out. The TV channels never worked (and despite being promised someone would come by to take a look at it, nobody ever came). You can hear everything going on out in the hall. Every time a door slams you hear it. We had a huge leak in our room. I walked in and water was pouring out of the bathroom and entryway ceiling and down the glass that divides the two, creating a huge puddle of water in the entryway. I called the front desk with a sense of urgency and they sent someone 30-45 mins later! The repair guys came and fixed it and said that someone would be there shortly to clean the floor. Almost 2 hours later (and after I cleaned it myself) a housekeeper comes to clean the floor.

Oh, and my biggest peeve was that they charged you for room service. At an all inclusive??!! Really??!! I've never heard of anything like that. Ever. It really didn't sit well with me.

FOOD - It really was awful. I thought previous reviewers were exaggerating at the quality of food, but after experiencing it, they were right. The buffet was terrible. Food that was already below average was left to get cold or room temperature. The food was bland and/or greasy. Baked goods were hard and the cereal always tasted stale. Most days I could not find a glass and whenever I ate breakfast alone, none of the servers would come to my table to see if I wanted something to drink. Seriously, I would prefer that the resort charge me an extra $10-20 a day to improve the quality. It would be money well spent. The food in the buffet was so bad that we went to Hoyo 19 every day for lunch because the food tasted somewhat better if it was served warm/hot. However, Hoyo 19 was not without its problems either. The buffet constantly had flies all around it. It was so bad, I just avoided it. Although the menu never changed, a dish you ordered the day before would be totally different the following day. Almost everyday my husband and I would order this chocolate cake dessert just to see what we would get. One day it was like german chocolate cake, the next day it had cherries in it, the following day it would be all chocolate and so on. Same thing happened with the burgers, etc. (one day it would have bacon, another day cheese and so on). What made it so bad is they would never tell you when the item you ordered was going to differ from what was printed on the menu. At a certain point it was so bad that all you could do was laugh.

Finally, I take issue with the fact that for a few hours between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner the only available food is at the sports bar, which was awful. I'm not going to even waste words on how bad it was.

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS - This is all subjective but we liked the Japanese (if you want to do the Hibachi grill you have to make sure you request it) and Mexican the best. The steakhouse was also pretty good (they seem to cook beef well at the resort). Italian was ok and we found the Spanish restaurant awful. We avoided the seafood restaurant because everyone we spoke to said it was horrible. Not one person we spoke with liked it. I really don't like that you only get to go to a specialty restaurant every other night (or something like that) unless you are a Premium Guest. I've never encountered anything like that...ever.

STAFF - I found MOST of the staff very friendly and helpful. Although their english is not the best, it's really not a resort that caters to Americans. Besides, how many foreigners come to the states expecting the staff at our hotels to speak their language fluently? Everyone I ran into tried to speak english when my spanish didn't cut it. I tried, they tried, it was all good. No complaints there. I will say the front desk staff that answers the phone needs some work. They just don't seem to care. Although I would only get water, I also found the bar staff pretty abrupt and unfriendly as well.

Final thoughts...I've never been to an all inclusive that truly wasn't an all inclusive. One of the reasons one picks an all inclusive is to avoid being nickled and dimed. At the Barcelo I felt like they nickle and dime you. You pay for the internet, you pay for the waterpark, you pay for drinkable wine, you pay for certain restaurants, etc. It's a bit ridiculous. Add a few dollars to the daily fee and make it truly all inclusive.

We will not return. In fact, this has really turned me off from the DR. Out of all of the places we've been to, this goes down as the worst. But if the beach and pool is more important to you than the food, I say give it a try. We loved the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing with us your impressions and observations in regards to your last experience in our Hotel. We are very regretful to know that we could not met your expectations at all and we are sorry that you have encountered inconveniences due to lack of information about our All Inclusive package also that you perceived lack of attention from some of our staff members when you needed our assistance.

As you may know, our top priority is our guests’ satisfaction; therefore we fell very sad for not being able to achieve our main goal with you. Please, accept our apologies for the misperception you may have, we can assure you that the impression you have is not representative of our overall service. We put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion in our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities.

We hope to have a second opportunity to show you our commitment to excellence service and be able to provide you a wonderful stay in our little Caribbean paradise.

Blaine, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This will be my 4th experience at an all inclusive resort and my worst experience. As the other reviews stated everything is very clean and very nice. The terrible service is what did it for me. I found maybe 2 staff members that seemed to want to be there. I have experienced all inclusives in mexico where you get a "hello and how are you" from everyone that crosses your path. Not what we got at the Bavaro Palace Deluxe. The service was so slow, 2 hours for a sit down dinner seems a bit much to me! Not to mention the food was terrible. If you are going to eat somewhere go to the Hoyo 19 by the golf course. Found that resturant late in our trip, but was the only one we dined at after eating there for the first time. The only resturant with great service and happy employees was the french resturant, which is one we had to pay for.

When I spend $3,000 for a one week trip with precious time spent away from my daughter I would like for my husband and I to at the very least feel welcomed. Very dissapointed, wish we would have done a little more research. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to extend you our most sincere apologies for the lack of service you perceived from some of our staff members. Please, allow us to mention that on a frequent basis our Human Resources coordinates seminars to all our staff members in order to reinforce the culture of service our guests deserve and expect and your remark about our personnel has overwhelmed us because we always tried to provide service in an efficient and fast way. We further regret that you felt your requests were not attended properly or in a timely manner. Our main interest is to assure our guests’ satisfaction while on property and to be able to correct any situation while guests are still in house; therefore we regret not being able to assist you. With the effort that characterize our staff probably would have done your stay with us more relaxing and comfortable.

highland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We knew we were going to a nice place, but they exceeded our expectations greatly! Tommy from the entertainment was super friendly and very helpful. Some of the staff could work on engaging more, but it wasn't that big of a deal. For an all-inclusive, they had plenty to choose from. The downside was that there was many hours of the day where you could only go into the sports bar to get food and they didn't have much of a variety. Making reservations was another bad thing for the nicer restaurants, we waited one day to call to make reservations and we only had choices to eat very late at night. I recommend calling as soon as you check into your room.
The grounds are beautiful and the beaches were great. The pools were awesome.
I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It is a real pleasure to know that you had a delightful stay during your last vacation at our Resort. We are very pleased that you have chosen us and that we were able to meet your expectations of quality and service. In the same way, we would like to assured you that your recommendations and suggestions will definitely be evaluated and taken into consideration. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

Once again thank you for your preference and confidence. Remember that here, we will be waiting for your news whenever you decide to come back and repeat a memorable experience in our Barceló Bávaro Palace deluxe, always your second home in the Dominican Republic.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My family of 8 and I went during the last week of December 2012 and had an exceptional time. The resort was beautiful and the grounds are kept in immaculate condition. There was always plenty of staff available and willing at all times to assist with any questions we may have had. Our group consisted of various age groups and there was plenty for everyone to do. We have traveled to different parts of the world on vacation but always enjoy returning to the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort. Also, we paid for the premium package and it was definitely worth it for the extra level of personalized attention we were given. Over all, the attention form the Premium Club staff, the food and the resort itself were all exquisite and we will certainly visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We will gladly pass your kind review to all our staff members and executives since comments such as yours definitely strengthen our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence service. Thank you for share with us that you enjoyed your holiday last December and that we will able to fulfill your expectations of food concepts, diversity of activities for each member of your group and the most significant for us, the performance of our employees.

We hope to welcome you and your family and friends on your next vacation. We will be more than happy to make your stay the most relaxing and wonderful you have had.

Our best wishes,

General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!