“Beautiful, clean resort full of friendly staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro, km. 1, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bavaro
“Beautiful, clean resort full of friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Beautiful place to stay, we loved it here! The rooms were so clean, king sized bed (blanket & pillows) were like sleeping on a cloud, food was excellent, our 14 yr old son loved the pool, beach and gym, he had many kids his own age to hang with and the people who work there were very friendly. If you want to see good shows, they have a beautiful theater and lots of stores on site to shop in. Places to eat everywhere too, never a day went by where I was hungry, towels by the pool were nice and warm when given to you and plenty of activities to do with your kids.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Lakes on the golf course, beautiful!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The boy and I visited Punta Cana for 3 nights in May. When we landed it was raining, but the bellman told us not to worry, it doesn't rain much here. He was right! The next few days were beautiful. Don't forget your sunscreen as we both got fried (and fair skin we are not). The ocean was warm and there are plentiful pools to cool off in. We didn't use the swim up bar much, it tends to be the most crowded and we didn't mind having to walk to bring us to the beach with us. The real piece de resistance was the room. We had an ocean view with our own hot tub, which got use every evening after a night cap. The room was large, the bed was a king and extremely comfortable. Beer was provided in the mini as well as some waters, soda and snacks. We loved the buffet for breakfast, but not so much for lunch, they cater to the European crowd with hot meals while we would prefer a sandwich or burger. The a la carte restaurants were great, we enjoyed our meals there with the sushi restaurant being the fav. Do make your reservations as soon as you check in and adhere to the dress code. We had to walk back to the room the first night as the boy had shorts on. We would definitely return to Punta Cana and would stick with the Barcelo. In fact, when we travel now, we look for Barcelo's as our first choice!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our first time visiting Punta Cana but it won't be our last. We were there from Nov 18-24 and had a wonderful experience. As you read these reviews, bare in mind that some people are really picky and will complain about everything under the sun, the sun included! I'm a well traveled person, but I'm not overly critical either. So sit back and let me give you my take on this resort.

CHECK IN: I was already preparing myself for the worst based on the reviews I had been reading. Well, it wasn't a smooth process. Lol. Only b/c our reservation was mysteriously cancelled. With that all being said, they were able to rectify the situation and we were in our room in no time. I didn't think it was that bad consdering how I read some people took an hour to check in with no complications.

LOCATION: Perfect! It's only about 25 mins (if that) from the airport. I also love the total seclusion that the property sits on. Coconut/palm trees are everywhere and it adds a lush, tropical ambiance. It was absolutely beautiful. The ground were well maintained and you could see workers constantly cleaning up, trimming, etc.

SERVICE: As many have already pointed out, there is a bit of a language barrier at times and that was mainly with the servers. With some pointing and a little bit of acting out pictionary-style, I was able to communicate. Lol. It can be frustrating BUT, I only noticed this when it was time to eat. Everyone at the front desk, gift shops, bartenders, etc spoke enough English to understand. Shame on me for going to a country and not brushing up on basic Spanish. I mean afterall it is their country and spanish is their native tongue. It really didn't bother me, but for some it might. Everyone was very friendly though and bent over backwards to accomodate us.

FOOD: C'mon people, it's an all inclusive buffet! It is what it is. I actually found the food to be rather decent. Again, I'm not picky but unlike some people that stated the food was terrible, not so. There was enough variety to find SOMETHING you could eat/like/tolerate. The a la carte's were delicious. We did Mexican, Japenese, Italian and the Steakhouse. The steakhouse was our least favorite. If you only pick one, I suggest Italian.

BEACHES: Guess it depends on what you deem a nice beach. My husband is from the Bahamas so he's not easily impressed. Yes the water was murky and there was quite of bit of seaweed near the shoreline. However, I still thought it was beautiful. The water was nice and calm which was perfect for me since I'm not big into waves and have small children.

ROOMS: LOVE the modern approach. Our room was spacious and clean. Had a fully stocked mini bar, jacuzzi on balcony and electronic safe which was very important to me. There was even a decent amount of english speaking channels. The only thing I will say is that if you have older children and privacy is an issue b/w you and your children, don't get the JR Suite Deluxe. There is no privacy at all. My kids are young (7&8) so it didn't bother me, but we already discussed that we would do the family room next time so we could get more privacy coming out of the shower.

ENTERTAINMENT: Well, we entertained ourselves mostly. Lol. However, I did partake in some dance lessons which was a lot of fun. We did some paddleboating and went to the Michael Jackson show in the theatre which was a pleasant suprise. There was entertainment and since we are more of a laid back family, I'm not the best to rate this. I will say that I recently went to Dreams in Cancun and I recall them having more outdoor entertainment like group volleyball, water aerobics, dance lessons, etc. Seems like they had something every hour there as oppose to Barcelo. Again, I wasn't trying to be bother with all the entertainment, so I could be wrong. Perhaps there was group activities every hour, on the hour. Correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, there is a Casino and disco too.

POOLS: They rock! There are so many areas to cool off and so many different pools. You never felt like you were on top of people. There were PLENTY of chairs everywhere! Poolside and beachside. I also want to note the new water park. No it wasn't included in the "all inclusive", but it was worth the $40 ($10pp once you use the coupon they give you at check in). We spent all day there and even did mini golf. Our kids really enjoyed it....ok, so did I.

MISC: The best cup of coffee I've ever had was in the Cigar lounge. OMG!!! Just do it!!! If you can't tolerate all the cigar smoke, you can sit outside and they'll come serve you.

If I had to make any suggestions, I would suggest free Wifi in the lobby area at least. I would also suggest doing away with the towel card system. I understand they probably do this to reduce cost in purchasing more towels, but it would be one less thing to keep up with while on vacation. Overall, this was the perfect family vacation for us. We had a wonderful time and can't find any reason NOT to return here again.

Room Tip: Had room 5224. Perfect because it was centered around all the restaraunts, pools and the beach witho...
Valencia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel is brand new (renovated 1 year ago), the rooms are big, comfortable, clean.
Pool and beach amazing. The beach is not set up as typical resort, is has a more "natural" feel.
The food is terrible, but in most all-inclusive hotels is the same. Staff was not friendly or helpful.
Had to pay to go into the steamroom and jacuzzi at the spa...should be included, or at least have a hot jacuzzi at the pool area.

Room Tip: If you are going as a couple as for the rooms that have a jacuzzi on the terrace. It fits 2 tight bu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We checked into the hotel on arrival and asked if we could get a room upgrade and pay extra. They told us there was nothing available until near the end of our trip. The hotel did not seem that busy. We had also asked for a room close to our friends on check in and they put us at opposite ends of the resort. The next day we asked to be moved close to our friends and were accommodated as our bathroom had a leak running down a wall and onto the floor. The new room they put us in had a shower that leaked all over the floor and our bar fridge was leaking. The next day we waited a half an hour for the Westjet rep for our briefing and he did not show up so we went to the room and called and complained. The house wines were absolutely terrible and undrinkable and Im no connoisseur. The food was just ok. The ocean was full of seaweed and murky and we had to walk down the beach to find a small clear spot to swim in. It was like this for the full week. The staff were quite pleasant but the buffets in the morning were so busy we had to wait a long time just to get a coffee. The hamburgers were very undercooked. All in all we were disappointed.

Room Tip: We were unable to upgrade. Don't get rooms by the activity pool as it was very noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Great location (25 minutes from airport), amazing amenities (1 young (~2-5 yr olds), 1 older (~5-10 yr olds) and 1 big water park for any age that you have to pay for). The rooms are very spacious...we have the family room (basic one) and it has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom and 2 balconies (1 of them [master room] has an outdoor jacuzzi). Try not to stay close to the main building if you don't want to wake up around 7 AM due to loud sounds of removing garbage or bringing in food. The buffets are pretty boring after a couple of days since its the same food offered every lunch & dinner! The a la carte restaurants (you only get 4 during a 7 night stay) are presented nice, but the food pretty much is the same as the buffets. We ate twice at the seafood, once at the steakhouse and once at the Spanish one. Nothing impressed us apart from the red snapper meals at the seafood restaurants.
The activities staff are always doing a great job of keeping everyone involved.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Aesthetically, the resort is beautiful. The layout is dazzling. The only complaint I have about the beach water is that the pictures were not a true representation of what is actually there. There are weeds along the shore down the entire beachfront, making it feel as if something is crawling on you when you're in the water.
The sports bar is buffet style and open 24 hours...however, unless you happen to walk in when a fresh batch of hot food is coming out (or put in a personal order) the food sits for hours. The buffet never changes. On another note, the ice cream is some of the freshest I've ever had.
The drinks are made of sugar (literally). I'm not a big drinker, but the two that I tried were disgusting.
The casino was dead (less than 4 people there).
You're issued a towel card when you check in. If you lose the card, there is a $20 fee. I don't think it's a bad system, just makes me feel as if they assume vacationers have nothing to do other than steal towels. Which brings me to my next point - at times there really WAS nothing else to do. There were a lack of activities. I felt that there should have been an endless amount of things for us to get into.
The paddleboat and kayak were the 2 water sports that were included with our "all-inclusive" stay. The attendants that work on the beach just stand around flirting with guests. They don't help you retrieve the paddleboat and they don't help you push it into the water. I'm a 26 able-bodied woman so I could push it into the water myself (though it was heavy). I just think about if my grandmother or someone not as strong had been on vacation and actually needed the assistance. I don't understand why they are there if they're not providing any assistance to guests.
Also, besides the sports bar, there are two other restaurants that you can go to with no problem (as long as they're open). The food is presented beautifully. The problem is the taste, it's horrible. Even the fruit was bad, minus the bananas.
The dilemna is that in order to go to any of the other restaurants at the resort, you have to make a reservation by 4pm the previous day. These restaurants are virtually empty all day. When we asked the reason for reservations, a hostess told us that the restaurants were wildly popular.
We made reservations for many of the restaurants, expecting the best, but getting food that wasn't.
The workers around the resort (aside from the beach) were very pleasant. They made us laugh while we waited for our food. They were an all-around great bunch of people.
The room looked very nice, but smelled of mildew (including the sheets).
Also, while bath towels were readily available, there seemed to be a shortage of actual BATH towels. We had to ask, repeatedly, for clean cloths to wash with.
I almost forgot, our representative told us (an entire day after arriving) not to wash with the water because of the bacteria that can make you sick. I think that's something that should have been mentioned as soon as we landed, not a day later when we've already been in the shower 2 or 3 times.
Most of the resort is outside. So if you choose to sit in the outside area of a restaurant, be prepared to smell the smoke of others in your face.
The flea market is 10 minutes down the beach---a nice place if you don't mind being haggled. The salesmen are really aggressive.
Lastly, there are safes in the room, an excellent idea. I utilized mine. However, a friend's safe was already locked and she never did notify management so that she could use hers. $100 was stolen from her suitcase. After the money was reported stolen, the hotel launched an "investigation," but ultimately nothing was done.
BAVARO RUNNERS safari trip was the best. Be sure to go on this excursion. You'll get to see how the people in the community live, try REAL Dominican food, and truly enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: They all smell of mildew, although they look very nice. If you can get past the smell of mildew, you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!