“Beautiful Resort, Although still sick.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro, km. 1, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 35% discount
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
GreenLeadersGold level
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Resort, Although still sick.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

When my husband and I were shown to our room I realized this was not the Master Suite Ocean Front Club Premium room I had paid for. I had also requested a quiet area, but instead was put in right in front of the adult pool which was quite noisy and with no real view of the ocean. I notified the front desk right away and told them I wanted a different room with a view and not a loud area. Since we were "premium members" due to our room, I thought this would help, although they stated this was impossible that there were no other rooms in this category available. I didn't believe this and told her so because at this point the resort wasn't close to full. I did receive a call back within five minutes and was told that we would be moved the next day, and not to unpack. The manager was very apologetic for the inconvenience and indeed we were moved around 1:30 the next day and they did upgrade the room to a panoramic room as well which was beautiful. I was also disappointed that this resort does charge extra to use their own reef to snorkel this should be included. The quality of the food was the same as most resorts, but with more variety with the a la cart restaurants. The resort itself is beautiful, the beach with plenty of chairs, palm trees sun and shade. The pools are very clean and pretty. The staff very attentive, and even if they cant speak much english, they speak enough and try very hard. The rooms are awesome and the jacuzzi on the deck is perfect. The entertainment staff is great, and the shows at night are a bit cheesy at times but much more entertaining then most resorts I have stayed, they are not all in English but it didn't matter. Anytime I needed anything I just called the desk and they responded right away, although room service is a bit slow so allow at least a hours for that. The weather was awesome Sunny with a 20 minute shower maybe twice the six days I was there, although the forecast made it look like it was going to be raining the entire week. I did get sick on day five which I am still battling with now. I would definitely go back to this resort but just make sure of my room before I arrive to it, and maybe take better precautions to avoid TD which you can get anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,369)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Welland, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at the Bavaro Palace Deluxe and I can not say enough good things about the resort. The resort has plenty of activities and entertainment at all hours of the day. The service is excellent and all of the staff is very friendly. There are plenty of options for food and I have yet to be disappointed. I highly recommend this resort, I will be visiting every year for the rest of my life.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We recently stayed here with a wedding group, the hotel was beautiful and the grounds were well maintained. Our room was in the golf side, and there is a great a la carte restaurant that is never busy and did not need reservations for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We preferred dining here then the buffet. The biggest challenge as read in reviews before is the communication barrier unless you speak spanish it is very difficult to deal with their staff. They are all very friendly but at times it was impossible to order a drink if you were looking for a specific brand or type of cocktail. The food in the a la carte restaurants were definitely better than the buffet, and you could purchase a bottle of wine in any of them for as cheap as 15 dollars, after tasting the house brand you will be happy to pay this additionally to enjoy a real glass of wine. We also used the spa and that was well worth the money, great workout facilities also brand new life fitness machines, and well as yoga classes. Great resort if you have children, lots of little hidden costs, like access to the older kids water park, and many other things like that.
The wedding was beautiful and was held in the gazebo on the beach, we did the boat cruise as a group after and that was such a great experience! we would return to this resort if we ever go back to Dominican.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Do not believe the negative reviews about this resort. My wife and I have just returned from one of our most enjoyable first time visits to this resort. This resort has everything to offer food, drink, service, entertainment, beach and much more. All of these were excellent. The staff could not do enough for you, whatever you requirements. This property is only 3 years old with all of the emenities that anyone needs. We have travelled to many fine resorts and this one is at the top of the list. We will without a doubt be returning in the near future. If you are visiting as a family, couples, single or group you will find everything here. I know that there are often minor problems with resorts of this size but not to the extent of being overly negative. For those who don't enjoy the hummidity go north.

Room Tip: All of the Junior Deluxe Suites are excellent. With your own 2 person jacuzzi on your patio.
South Plainfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We only stayed here a night, but overall it was an "okay" experience. It's not completely all-inclusive because room service is not included as well as bottles during dinner. The pool is dirty and the filtering system did not seem to be working. The water was yellow :( The food is also so-so. We ate at the dominican restaurant and it was alright. Making reservations is also annoying especially when you get there and the restaurant is completely empty. The beach was beautiful and the rooms were nice with very comfortable beds. The shower was annoying though and water went all over the floor because there's no door. Also, we waited 30 minutes just to check-out because they kept waiting for a phone call back from someone.

Btw, there is NO FREE SHUTTLE offered by the resort. We were fooled by this because Orbitz told us there was and it was on their website, but when we got there we had to pay $35 from the airport to the resort.

Sioux City,Ia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just like a lot of people we were worried about this resort after reading the reviews. But we had a a wonderful experience. Staff was always friendly. True, they don't speak much english, but we are in their country. The only people that were rude were some of the tourist there who thought they were royalty and everyone needed to bow down to them. Including other tourist. Resort is extremely large but very beautiful. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Go and have a great time.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We visited Punta Cana during the week of November 3-10. This was my third time to the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe and definitely not my last. The resort was very packed, however it is quite large so it never actually felt crowded. I wrote a review from my trip to this resort last year as well for those that are interested in comparison.

Check-in: We had no issues at all with check-in. Mariam in club premium was very helpful with getting us checked-in and welcoming us to the resort. She was very informative, quick and efficient in getting us everything we needed. I was in correspondence with Leidy from club premium as well and I would like to say a big thank you to her in ensuring that our vacation was an enjoyable and memorable one!

Room: We had an oceanfront Jr. suite in building 4. The view was phenomenal as always. I really enjoyed staying in this building as it was right beside the lobby and also on the quieter side of the resort. It had all the essentials of a resort Jr Suite-- shampoo, conditioner, robes, etc. We had a king sized bed and a fully stocked mini bar. We made more use of the hot tub which has a privacy screen this time around. It was always a nice way to end the day at the beach/pool and enjoy the evening before dinner. There was a bottle of rum waiting for us upon arrival as well. Very nice touch! I was VERY impressed with the maid service during this stay in particular. We had our room cleaned TWICE a day for the entire week and I couldn't have been happier! The room always looked perfect. Tipping went a long way.

Resort: The resort itself is in immaculate condition. Looks exactly like it did last year; perfect. There were countless gardeners around the place that make sure everything is beautiful We tipped the gardeners on a few occasions as we noticed the hard work they put into the landscaping and keeping the resort clean.

Beach/pool: The Bavaro beach is stunning. Again, there were countless workers always on the beach cleaning up seaweed so that it looked pristine. During the day there are numerous activities for both the young and old: i.e. darts, volleyball, dancing, aerobics, ping pong, yoga, and the list goes on. There was never a dull moment. If you wanted more of a quieter experience, a very short walk to the beach either to the left or right of activity area did the trick. The pool is massive at this resort! There is a main pool area that stretches the width of most of the resort. One side of it has a swim-up bar and the other side has a pool bar close by. There is also a separate adults only pool, two pools/water parks for children, along with the new Pirates water park that has slides and a wave pool.

Food: One has to understand that A) we are in a different country that has different ingredients and ways of preparing food and B) there are A LOT of different nationalities visiting, hence the resort will have to cater to more than North Americans. I found the food in the buffet to be average, which I'm used to expecting since buffets usually cater for the masses. At breakfast, the egg station was great. They had more than one set up as well, so there was hardly ever a line. I loved the made-to-order veggie omlets. Hoyo19 (golf resort), is a hidden gem and I found the food to be very good. We often frequented it for lunch by walking or taking the train which comes very frequently. My favorite dish at Hoyo was the stuffed chicken with Spaghetti. We tried the Italian, Japanese, Steakhouse and Seafood a la cartes. I enjoyed them all thoroughly. At the Japanese tappenyaki I ordered the Chicken and Shrimp, at the Italian I ordered the lobster rissoto, at the steakhouse I had the grilled chicken (I heard good things about the steak though), and at the seafood I had the grouper wrapped in a banana leaf. I did not have any complaints about any of my meals. The house wines are not very good, however the resort does offer a wine menu where you can order your own bottle for a fee. I had the champagne and it quite fruity and decent.

Bars: During all of my stays at the Barcelo, I found the best drinks and service to be at the casino bar. The staff go out their way to ensure you have prompt service and exceptionally spectacular drinks. I loved asking for them to surprise me with my drinks, as they never disappointed. The lobby bar was nice and the drinks were good, as they were in the sports bar and theater bar. No complaints! The swim-up/main pool bar is usually very packed and hence depending on the bartender you get, your drink will be hit or miss. 99% of the time they were great though. The pina coladas and rum punches were amazing. I mostly stuck to diet coke and rum whenever possible.

Nightlife: The disco at this resort really shines bright! It is very large and technologically advanced. At the time we were at this resort, it was packed every night. The bartenders are very nice and make awesome drinks at the disco. They play all types of music. There is a VIP for those who either pay the entrance fee or have club premium, however all the action is on the main floor. For singles and couples alike, this was such a hotspot. Definitely a good place to meet other guests!

Service: I had excellent service during my stay. The casino bar I would rank the highest in terms of service. The staff were always chatting with us and making sure we were having a good time. On the beach there were staff that were going around, talking to guests and ensuring everyone was having a good stay. I really thought that was neat. In the buffets and a la cartes, I found the service to be great as well. We never had to wait long before being offered a drink, etc.

Overall, I can conclude that I will be visiting the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe again in the future! For those considering this resort, I would say go for it, you will be delightfully surprised!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!