“Modern New Resort, Great Value for Dominican” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro, km. 1, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
City experience
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bavaro
Toronto, Canada
“Modern New Resort, Great Value for Dominican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We recently stayed here with a wedding group, the hotel was beautiful and the grounds were well maintained. Our room was in the golf side, and there is a great a la carte restaurant that is never busy and did not need reservations for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We preferred dining here then the buffet. The biggest challenge as read in reviews before is the communication barrier unless you speak spanish it is very difficult to deal with their staff. They are all very friendly but at times it was impossible to order a drink if you were looking for a specific brand or type of cocktail. The food in the a la carte restaurants were definitely better than the buffet, and you could purchase a bottle of wine in any of them for as cheap as 15 dollars, after tasting the house brand you will be happy to pay this additionally to enjoy a real glass of wine. We also used the spa and that was well worth the money, great workout facilities also brand new life fitness machines, and well as yoga classes. Great resort if you have children, lots of little hidden costs, like access to the older kids water park, and many other things like that.
The wedding was beautiful and was held in the gazebo on the beach, we did the boat cruise as a group after and that was such a great experience! we would return to this resort if we ever go back to Dominican.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,114)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Do not believe the negative reviews about this resort. My wife and I have just returned from one of our most enjoyable first time visits to this resort. This resort has everything to offer food, drink, service, entertainment, beach and much more. All of these were excellent. The staff could not do enough for you, whatever you requirements. This property is only 3 years old with all of the emenities that anyone needs. We have travelled to many fine resorts and this one is at the top of the list. We will without a doubt be returning in the near future. If you are visiting as a family, couples, single or group you will find everything here. I know that there are often minor problems with resorts of this size but not to the extent of being overly negative. For those who don't enjoy the hummidity go north.

Room Tip: All of the Junior Deluxe Suites are excellent. With your own 2 person jacuzzi on your patio.
South Plainfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We only stayed here a night, but overall it was an "okay" experience. It's not completely all-inclusive because room service is not included as well as bottles during dinner. The pool is dirty and the filtering system did not seem to be working. The water was yellow :( The food is also so-so. We ate at the dominican restaurant and it was alright. Making reservations is also annoying especially when you get there and the restaurant is completely empty. The beach was beautiful and the rooms were nice with very comfortable beds. The shower was annoying though and water went all over the floor because there's no door. Also, we waited 30 minutes just to check-out because they kept waiting for a phone call back from someone.

Btw, there is NO FREE SHUTTLE offered by the resort. We were fooled by this because Orbitz told us there was and it was on their website, but when we got there we had to pay $35 from the airport to the resort.

Sioux City,Ia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just like a lot of people we were worried about this resort after reading the reviews. But we had a a wonderful experience. Staff was always friendly. True, they don't speak much english, but we are in their country. The only people that were rude were some of the tourist there who thought they were royalty and everyone needed to bow down to them. Including other tourist. Resort is extremely large but very beautiful. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Go and have a great time.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We visited Punta Cana during the week of November 3-10. This was my third time to the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe and definitely not my last. The resort was very packed, however it is quite large so it never actually felt crowded. I wrote a review from my trip to this resort last year as well for those that are interested in comparison.

Check-in: We had no issues at all with check-in. Mariam in club premium was very helpful with getting us checked-in and welcoming us to the resort. She was very informative, quick and efficient in getting us everything we needed. I was in correspondence with Leidy from club premium as well and I would like to say a big thank you to her in ensuring that our vacation was an enjoyable and memorable one!

Room: We had an oceanfront Jr. suite in building 4. The view was phenomenal as always. I really enjoyed staying in this building as it was right beside the lobby and also on the quieter side of the resort. It had all the essentials of a resort Jr Suite-- shampoo, conditioner, robes, etc. We had a king sized bed and a fully stocked mini bar. We made more use of the hot tub which has a privacy screen this time around. It was always a nice way to end the day at the beach/pool and enjoy the evening before dinner. There was a bottle of rum waiting for us upon arrival as well. Very nice touch! I was VERY impressed with the maid service during this stay in particular. We had our room cleaned TWICE a day for the entire week and I couldn't have been happier! The room always looked perfect. Tipping went a long way.

Resort: The resort itself is in immaculate condition. Looks exactly like it did last year; perfect. There were countless gardeners around the place that make sure everything is beautiful We tipped the gardeners on a few occasions as we noticed the hard work they put into the landscaping and keeping the resort clean.

Beach/pool: The Bavaro beach is stunning. Again, there were countless workers always on the beach cleaning up seaweed so that it looked pristine. During the day there are numerous activities for both the young and old: i.e. darts, volleyball, dancing, aerobics, ping pong, yoga, and the list goes on. There was never a dull moment. If you wanted more of a quieter experience, a very short walk to the beach either to the left or right of activity area did the trick. The pool is massive at this resort! There is a main pool area that stretches the width of most of the resort. One side of it has a swim-up bar and the other side has a pool bar close by. There is also a separate adults only pool, two pools/water parks for children, along with the new Pirates water park that has slides and a wave pool.

Food: One has to understand that A) we are in a different country that has different ingredients and ways of preparing food and B) there are A LOT of different nationalities visiting, hence the resort will have to cater to more than North Americans. I found the food in the buffet to be average, which I'm used to expecting since buffets usually cater for the masses. At breakfast, the egg station was great. They had more than one set up as well, so there was hardly ever a line. I loved the made-to-order veggie omlets. Hoyo19 (golf resort), is a hidden gem and I found the food to be very good. We often frequented it for lunch by walking or taking the train which comes very frequently. My favorite dish at Hoyo was the stuffed chicken with Spaghetti. We tried the Italian, Japanese, Steakhouse and Seafood a la cartes. I enjoyed them all thoroughly. At the Japanese tappenyaki I ordered the Chicken and Shrimp, at the Italian I ordered the lobster rissoto, at the steakhouse I had the grilled chicken (I heard good things about the steak though), and at the seafood I had the grouper wrapped in a banana leaf. I did not have any complaints about any of my meals. The house wines are not very good, however the resort does offer a wine menu where you can order your own bottle for a fee. I had the champagne and it quite fruity and decent.

Bars: During all of my stays at the Barcelo, I found the best drinks and service to be at the casino bar. The staff go out their way to ensure you have prompt service and exceptionally spectacular drinks. I loved asking for them to surprise me with my drinks, as they never disappointed. The lobby bar was nice and the drinks were good, as they were in the sports bar and theater bar. No complaints! The swim-up/main pool bar is usually very packed and hence depending on the bartender you get, your drink will be hit or miss. 99% of the time they were great though. The pina coladas and rum punches were amazing. I mostly stuck to diet coke and rum whenever possible.

Nightlife: The disco at this resort really shines bright! It is very large and technologically advanced. At the time we were at this resort, it was packed every night. The bartenders are very nice and make awesome drinks at the disco. They play all types of music. There is a VIP for those who either pay the entrance fee or have club premium, however all the action is on the main floor. For singles and couples alike, this was such a hotspot. Definitely a good place to meet other guests!

Service: I had excellent service during my stay. The casino bar I would rank the highest in terms of service. The staff were always chatting with us and making sure we were having a good time. On the beach there were staff that were going around, talking to guests and ensuring everyone was having a good stay. I really thought that was neat. In the buffets and a la cartes, I found the service to be great as well. We never had to wait long before being offered a drink, etc.

Overall, I can conclude that I will be visiting the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe again in the future! For those considering this resort, I would say go for it, you will be delightfully surprised!

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed on this property November 9 - 13. Upon arrival, the grounds looked immaculate at the resort. My travel partners were super excited when we pulled to the front of the hotel. After check-in, I received a room that was already occupied! UGH! Returned to reservations and received a room with ONE bed...although there was two travelers. UGH AGAIN!!! Third time was a charm however our room was at the END of the main road on the resort. Be prepared for A LOT of walking unless you want to take the little trolley. Our room was a Junior Suite. We had a leak with our toilet (bathroom floor was soaked daily) and we had a leak in our dual sinks. Floor near the bed was soaked daily as well.

Now onto the resort itself...the drinks are CHEAP and NASTY! There isn't any name brand liquor. If you want to drink like you are accustomed to, you must travel to the adults only area and pay $15 for a day pass. The food --- NASTY also! They recycle food from one restaurant to the other. The only decent meal was at Hoyo 19. That restaurant is located near the Golf Course. Kyoto, the Japanese Steakhouse, was disgusting also. The buffets are terrible.

To use the resort computers you must buy internet time - expensive. To use your own computer you had to purchase WiFi - $30 for 4 days. And sign on and passwords were not interchangeable, so if you buy WiFi- you cannot use more than one computer on one login. The wifi kept going out and you had to keep relogging in. I honestly think they sell the same password and login to other guests.

There are a lot of amenities on this resort that are FREE and kept hidden. The water sports on the beach are FREE. The restaurant on the Golf Course is FREE. To Golf on the Course is FREE! Oh and make sure you don't lose your Pool Towel credit card or you will be charged $20 for the towel.

The staff was excellent tho. Many of them put forth extra effort to speak English. I met some really nice people!

On my next visit to Punta Cana...I will NOT stay at this resort.

Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel is highly overrated. I must admit I was fooled by the beautiful insides as well as the pool. Here is a list of the reasons I believe this is not a four star hotel and not worth the money:
1. As soon as you walk into your room or any of the restaurants you are greeted by the smell of mold and mildew.
2. The food is horrible, so don't expect to eat until you can't any more. We were there five days and the food was the same for all of the days.
3. The food at the Sports Bar is a hit or miss, some days its dried up and look as though its been sitting out for hours.
4. Room service is stingy with the towels, so you might want to bring your own.
5. They charge $20 if you dont return the beach towels.
6. The cleaning people stole $100 from one of my traveling partners.
7. You need to know some spanish because most of the workers dont speak English.
8. You have to make reservations for restaurants by 4 pm each day....most of the time the restaurants are empty. So its a waste of time and the food is not any better.
9. We were warned not to drink the water or use it for our private parts, the day after we arrived.
10. The travel agents harass and wake you up early in the morning so you can book excursions, I'm on vacation let me sleep!
11. The staff is not very accomodating.
12. Let me reinterate that the food was horrible, I was so hungry. I'm glad that I packed some snacks so I would have something decent to eat.
13. The sheets smell like mold and mildew as well, I was wondering why I was wheezing the first night.
14. The water activities at the hotel are horrible. First of all, the staff that is out there to help you don't help at all. We had to push our kayaks and paddle boats in the water ourselves. They don't provide any type of guidance or help at all. In addtion, they have like only 10 life vests so you have to wait until others are finished.
15. Even though its all-inclusive room service is not included.
16. The casino was whack, it was like four people in there.
17. There are very few activitites for adults, it seems as though they catered more towards families with kids.
18. The club was also very dead, the music was tired.
19. You have to wait in line a long time to make reservations for dinner and the food isn't all that great.

Room Tip: Top floor near the beach was nice has a jacuzzi on the balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!