“Fantastic Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Bavaro, km. 1, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
New York
“Fantastic Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been a member of Trip Advisor for several years. All of the negative reviews have prompted me to write my first one. My wife and I and another couple traveled here between Oct. 13 and Oct. 20, 2012. I will try and break every thing down .
Checkin/Checkout- Normal checkin hours for all hotels is 3pm. we arrived at noon, were directed to a desk and were promptly processed and banded and asked to return at 2pm as our rooms were not ready. This process took approximately 20 minutes. We went to guest relations and made all of our dinner reservations for the week. Since we were banded we had lunch at the buffet, walked around and returned at 2pm and our rooms were ready as promised, so far so good. Check out, as a season travelor, I went to the desk the night before and took care of all my room charges. in the morning when everyone was on line checking out and paying their charges, my party and I went to the express desk, dropped off our towel cards and were done in thirty seconds. no hassles.
Rooms- We had emailed guest relations requesting rooms in Bldg 5 and that was exactly where we were. centrally located to all the restaurants, pools, beach, and main building. Could not ask for a better locale. We had a Jr. Deluxe Suite. Very modern, king size bed, flat screen TV, jacuzzi in balcony and very CLEAN. The toilet and shower doors were made of frosted glass but are not see through as others had previously reported. Still trying to figure out if I am at the same resort as the negative reviews claimed. Room was cleaned daily and refrigerator stocked daily. left a few dollars every day and had no issues whatsoever. Folks if not having a face towel is going to ruin your stay, BRING YOUR OWN!
Grounds- Resort is VERY large, utilize the continuous shuttle to get around, even using this we did not get utilize the entire resort ( reason to go back). Grounds are spotless, well manicured. Beach is breath taking. Too many pools to keep up with, water parks for the kids. There are so may pools and beachfront there is no need to play the towel game.
Food-Buffets had a choise for everyone, if you did not find what you wanted, you really were not hungry. Speciaty reataurants were great. We ate at the Steakhouse, The 19 hole, Italian,Spanish, all were great.
Language- Folks, let's remember we are guests in their country, we should show the respect we would want given to us. I am latin and speak spanish, but there are few phrases that everyone should know, "Buenos Dias- good morning", Buenas Tardes- good afternoon" Buenas Noche- good night", "Hola- hello", "Gracias - thank you", "Por Favor - please", Mi Nombre es -My name is", "Tu Nombre es - your name is". You will be surprise at the smile you will get.
Now here comes the one negative. "My fellow GUESTS". Folks when your on vacation with your children, it does not mean that you are on vacation from parenting. that is all I will say on that topic. Additionally, just because you paid does not mean you have the right to be rude and nasty because something minor occurred that was not in your control or the control of the employee that you just verbally bashed. Your on vacation, things will go right and things will go wrong, no matter where you stay, the only thing that should not change is the way we treat each other.
I am still wondering where all the negative reviews stem from. I was so impressed with this resort that we took my neice information for a destination wedding. This by far is the best resort I have been to and will definetly be returning. I want to thank the entire staff at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe for a fantastic week. you all have the right model for making your guest feel at home. If you have any specific questions pls email me.
Lufrsan

Room Tip: try and be located in building 5, centrally located.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Traveled to Barcelo for 6 days Oct. 12 -18. Based on location alone, this would be a 5 star review. The grounds and beach are fantastic. That being said, the food and service are lacking. I knew what I was getting into with the food, but the lack of service is all on the Barcelo. As a family of 5 we were required to purchase 2 rooms or have a family suite. Two rooms were cheaper than a suite so we went with that option. The rooms were next to each other, but not connecting so it was a little weird to send my children half dressed from room to room. Also, we ended up in the golf deluxe rooms (10 -15 minute walk from the beach). Each room had 2 double beds downstairs and a king bed in the loft. Each room also had 2 bathrooms. So, for a family of 5 (3 kids under the age of 10) we had 6 beds and 4 bathrooms and 4 tvs. Nice, but a real waste. The pool was drained 2 days into our stay. The bars were crowded and unpleasant. If you didn't get a frozen drink right when they opened, you would never get one because the machines never had a chance to freeze the drinks properly. Drinking an unfrozen strawberry daiquiri is just not good. The cable was out for 4 days of our stay. We often had a hard time finding a table in the buffet for a family of 5. We usually didn't get any help from the staff. We made dinner reservations at the Japanese restaurant on the first night we got there. It was the only restaurant my kids were excited about. When we went to the restaurant on our reservation night we were told it was closed and we could go to a different restaurant as long as it wasn't the mexican one. Are you kidding me. We were leaving 2 days later so I tried to get a reservation for the following night but was told I would have to eat at 10:45 p.m. They had 4 days to call and tell me the restaurant was going to be closed on the night I had my reservation, but they never bothered. There is really no one to complain to or get satisfaction from. You are all on your own with no recourse for closed pools, incorrect reservations or lack of service. It is time to move on to a different resort chain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lodi, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last few years and always encounter the same problem, difficult long agonizing check in, we leave comment cards each time but nothing changes. I know people will ask "why do you return" the answer is hospitality, service, rooms and beaches are of the best quality. We will stay there again and suffer the check in problem hoping management sees the problem..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I went for our honeymoon on Oct 7-Oct 13 we booked the Panoramic Suite Club Premium RM# 6155 and the upgrade was definitely worth it.
Prior to going there I read reviews almost everyday to see what people think about this resort.
The reviews were mixed and were either very negative or very positive. I definitely was having second thoughts on this resort, but decided to go with the flow and just be prepared for what was coming and have a grand time anyway.

All my worries were immediately erased as soon as we got picked up from the airport and shuttled to the resort. This resort is beautiful, massive, well maintained and each staff person we encountered with the exception of 1, were all friendly and happy to help. I will divide my review in the following categories: Resort (Cleanliness, Rooms,etc...), Staff & Service, Food (A la carte Restaurants and Buffets), Excursions/Amenities and Club Premium.

Resort:

The resort is huge & beautiful, and the layout can be confusing at first but it’s easy to figure out and get used to. There’s an adult section & the palace deluxe section which you can go in and out at your leisure. Be prepared to do a lot of walking but they do have trolleys that run frequently until 2 or 3 am. It will take you around the resort or closer to your destination. The resort has a golf course, water park, several restaurants, several shops, casino, disco,etc...so there was a lot to do during our stay. The resort is immaculately clean, everyday we always see staff cleaning, maintaining the grounds. We had the Panoramic Suite which was great , it had 2 hot tubs (indoor and outdoor) living room, dining room, separate entrance to bedroom and 2 bathrooms, it was like a beautiful condo. We also had an oceanfront view and we’re just a few steps away from the beach and a short walk to the pools and main building. The room was cleaned and the fridge was restocked everyday, towels were changed and even beach towels were provided for us so we didn’t have to go and exchange them at the towel area. They also did the turn down service for us every night. We also tipped about $3 per day as our way of saying thank you. A dollar here and there definitely goes a long way. There were some ants in the bathroom closer to the main door, but that is expected being in a tropical country so it’s nothing to be surprised about.

Staff & Service:

I don’t know how or why other reviewers found the staff rude or unpleasant. They must think too highly of themselves to say such things. Everyone at the resort were so nice and friendly, although Spanish was the language of choice (Well duh, we are in their country!) everyone tried their best to communicate and assist in English. It was easier for me and my husband since my husband speaks Spanish and I know enough to understand and converse with the staff, but even if you only know English, you will definitely get your point across just don’t act all high and mighty. The only one person we encountered was the person at the Artista Dominicana Shop, we went there one night to look at some souvenirs, I picked up one souvenir and and for some reason the bottom part of it fell off, the attendant thought I dropped the whole thing and broke it but it was already like that when I picked it up. Instead of saying “it’s ok we’ll take care of it or don’t worry about it” She looked at us smugly and said in Spanish “Well you have to pay for this” which we didn’t take any issue of if number 1, I actually broke it and number 2 if she provided some sort of customer service at least or asked a little nicely. We paid it anyway but decided not to go back to that shop for more souvenirs. Other than that each and every single person we encountered and met at the resort were all pleasant and very friendly. Service was standard, and nothing to complain about there were times it was a little slow at the buffet to get our drinks but we were in no rush anyway, we were on vacation and we had all the time in the world so that didn’t bother us at all. Just be a little patient, just relax, enjoy and make sure you remember that you are on VACATION and things are always at a slower pace. If you want things fast, instant and constantly rushed then I suggest you stay home.

Food (Ala Carte Restaurants & Buffet):

When people say that the food here was gross, not edible, I mean come on now! Expand your palettes a little bit. If this doesn’t taste like food from home, then like I said before, just stay home. I love eating out and I’ve been to many restaurants both high end and the cheap ones. The food although not outstanding was still good and they offered choices for everyone. I agree the buffets have the same stuff everyday but you don’t have to eat everything they offer there in one shot as well, so try something different everyday. We went to the Bohio Dominicano Buffet which is in the Palace Deluxe section and it has a lot of choices but we found it a little too chaotic with everyone there and kids sometimes out of control. A better option would be the El Caribe Buffett at the adults section of the resort, still a lot of choices but definitely calmer, not chaotic and you get a nice view of the ocean.

For the Ala Carte Restaurants we were able to make it to 5 out of 6 dinner reservations, we skipped the La Comedie (French) since we were both so tired from our day trip that day and just opted to go to the buffet instead to avoid having to dress up for dinner.

We went to La Dolce Vita, Santa Fe, La Fuente, Mexico Lindo, Kyoto. When you go to these restaurants, you get a choice of appetizers (one for each person), soup (if on the menu), salad or salad bar, entree and dessert. When ordering just let them know everything you want in one shot probably just leaving dessert out after eating the entree because the waiters don’t really ask you “What do you want for appetizer? or for entree” so whatever you tell them, that is what you will get.

La Dolce Vita (Italian)- This was my least favorite of the bunch. The food tasted ok to me. My husband enjoyed his entree but I didn’t. Dessert was ok as well, we had the tiramisu and my husband had a lemon cake both were too sweet for my liking and the tiramisu was a little watery or tasted like it was thawed from the freezer and not fresh.

Santa Fe (Steakhouse)- I found this restaurant to be good, I got the mixed grilled plate (Steak, Chicken, Pork Chop, Sausage) and everything was delicious. They also have the standard salad bar which was ok, not a lot of choices, it was in a separate room and set up as different stations but it was basically the same thing each station.

La Fuente (Spanish)- Very good, I love their tapas, only mistake we made was we ordered 1 appetizer for each, turns out you get two each. Oh well, everything was delicious, portion was decent sized (it will not overwhelm you) , dessert tasted good probably one of the top 3 restaurants in the resort.

Mexico Lindo- Friendly staff, nicely decorated, food was good...love their dessert selection. This one is also in my top 3.

Kyoto- This was my favorite, dinner and a show, we got lucky that the hostess sat us with a great group. We enjoyed our dinner, and the chef was great and very friendly.

We always tipped even though it wasn’t required after every meal. There are choices for everyone from meat, fish/seafood, chicken. The dessert can seem to be repetitive in all restaurants, (cake, ice cream, etc...) only place that had variety was kyoto, mexico lindo and la fuente.. that’s why those three are on my top list.

Excursions/Amenities:

Vacaciones Barcelo-
The resort also offers a lot of other activities outside the resort through vacaciones barcelo. My husband and I went to a day trip to Altos de Chavon & Isla de Saona. Very great trip where they take you to a replica of a 16th century European town and then they take you to a speed boat ride to a natural swimming pool, which is literally in the middle of the ocean but only about 4 ½ feet deep, it was gorgeous. Afterwards they speed boat takes you to another island, and they serve a buffet style lunch there, you get to eat and swim for a couple of hours before they take you back to a catamaran ride, where there is dancing and drinks. We paid $99 each for the tour and it was very worth it. Just make sure to wear a lot of sunscreen, bring a hat and maybe a little bit of money to tip your tour guide and the driver.

Pools/Bars/Disco/Casino/Shows/Water Park:

This resort has a lot to offer and venturing out is really not necessary. We also found seats by the pool and never felt crowded to us. Although we did prefer the pool at the adults only section because they have staff taking your drink orders by the pool and it was less chaotic than the main pools they have at Palace Deluxe.

Bars:
My husband and I are social drinkers so the bars although nice were not a big factor during our trip. We got the tropical drinks and beer from time to time and I do agree with the reviews here that they are not the best of quality. The tropical drinks were very sweet and syrupy that you couldn’t really taste any alcohol, and the beer was watered down. I did enjoy the different fruit smoothies they make so that makes up for it at least. They only have 1 swim up bar and that gets really crowded, like I said we like the adults section pool better because they had poolside service.

Disco/Casino:

Disco was dead during our first night there, the DJ was playing really old songs from 80’s and 90’s for quite some time so we decided to leave. We decided to give it another shot closer to the weekend and a little later during the night and they actually played good songs, everyone seemed to have a good time. Club Premium gets you in the VIP area , the place was empty though it was just me and my husband. We stayed there only because the bartender actually comes to you and takes your order and you get private seating but if you want to dance with the crowd, best to go downstairs.

Casino: Nothing much going on here really, we’re not gamblers so we didn’t spend a lot of time here. We played one slot machine and it was ok.

Shows: The resort has different shows every night. We went to the Michael Jackson one, it was fun. People who complain that it wasn’t good, well duh it’s not the real deal! Just have fun anyway.

Waterpark: The have the Pirates Island Waterpark which was fun. It wasn’t big, it had 4 slides and a wave pool. It was fun nonetheless and it was relatively empty when we came. I believe it’s $10.00 extra to get in but Club Premium guests gets in for free.

*They also have the teen disco/hard rock cafe and mini golf/golf course in the resort.*

Club Premium:

If you have extra this is definitely worth the upgrade. This feature is only available on certain types of rooms. You get to check in in a separate area that has AC, you have your own concierge and lounge area. Because of that check in and check out is fast and painless. Laundry service is free, as well as anything on the room service menu. Free entrance to the waterpark, VIP area of the disco, priority reservations to the restaurants for all the days you are staying at the hotel, free hydrotherapy at the spa everyday for 45 mins, discount on the shops, top shelf liquor and no additional charge at the La Comedie (French restaurant) and more.

Room Tip: Resort shops will only take Credit Cards as type of payment or can be charged to your room. There...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Let me start by saying that my family and I stayed in this resort last year and loved it. We had a family suite by the water slide pool area. It was so great in Oct. 2011 that we decided to go back in Oct. 2012. What a huge mistake. It was like we were at a different resort. This year was a nightmare from the minute go. The check in was an absolute nightmare. After traveling from very earlly Friday morning with two children we were told when we got there at 12:30 that our room wasn't ready and to go have lunch and come back at 2:00. So we did and we were told to come back at 2:30. We finally got our room at 3. The first two days were fine. The service was not even close to what it was last year and the food this year was terrible but everything else was great. Then on Sunday night it started. Our room was never cleaned Sunday after asking two times. Then on Monday morning they started renovations on all the rooms around ours. for 5 days we had to walk over paint cans, tarps, step in spackle and smell all kinds of industrial smells every time we wanted to get to our room. There is a concierge station almost directly below our room and for the five days they were retiling the floor so for hour after hour from 8 in the morning until 11 at night we listened to the tile saws and the the workers. This is also right next to the water slide area so we couldn't get away from it. My daughters (9 & 5) had thier hair braided in the salon because we were told the girls were not allowed to walk on the beach in the adults only area so we couldn't get to the local market that we had gone to last year. After spending double what I did last year for the braids they fell out by Wednesday. Yes, 3 days later the braids were out. Last year they lasted for almost 3 weeks.
After complaining for three days they finally offered to move us on Wednesday. They however wanted to give us the same room that we already paid for in an even worse location. On Tuesday my husband got so sick he couldn't leave the room and he couldn't even sleep with all the noise. They also drained one of the two pools that my children were allowed in on Monday morning and didn't open it up again until Friday. I couldn't get anyone to get me the hotel manager and the guest relations manager did nothing for us. She kept saying that she wanted to make things right but never offered anything to do so. I would never go back and never recomend this resort to anyone. I felt like I was in a construction site in New York City for most of the trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

i love this resort....right on the beach and friendly staff. i've stayed here a few times and noticed that the customer service has declined. the staff didnt seem as forthcoming to greet and be helpful, as in the past. everything else is great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

1. 'Service': In general, the apathy of the staff was astounding. The concept of even minimal customer service was lost on most employees of the resort we interacted with on our trip.

2. 'Privacy': On three occasions, employees barged into our room in the early morning (e.g. before 9 AM) without announcing themselves. The 'privacy please/no moleste' sign on the door was not a deterrent on these occasions or to the housekeeping service who came in and cleaned our room while we were out despite the presence of the hang tag.

3. 'All-inclusive': It's only all inclusive if you don't mind eating unpalatable food and watered down wine, beer and alcohol. When management was directly questioned on this issue, there was no denial. Further, comparison of the Presidente beer served at the bar and a can on Presidente revealed a significant difference in color and malt density. Still further, the only decent restaurant is the French restaurant which is an extra fee.

4. 'Check-In': Upon arrival, it took 2 hours and fifteen minutes with no one in line in front of us. After being ignored at the front desk, we were finally brought to our room - which was full of mold. After another 45 minutes, the second room had two small beds when we paid for a king. Finally, the third room was correct.

5. 'Closing Remarks': With the experience of travel to 38 countries, including other third world countries, this resort was by far my worst experience for the money. In my opinion, this resort is a gimmick and travelers should take heed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!