“Great 2nd Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

You added Iberostar Dominicana Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
stl
“Great 2nd Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Got back from the Dominicana on Sunday the 8th of September, after a weeks stay. This was out second time there and for the most part we were not disappointed. We Love this resort! The food was above average for most resorts we have stayed at and if I was expecting a 5 star US restaurant then I'd eat in the states and pay $100.00 a plate to eat. As it was I gained 10lbs. which I am now trying to loose. You will not walk away hungry.
The room was great A/C worked great, and Alicia did an excellant job. Always clean towels, fridge refilled, and all we had to do is ask for extra coffee and creamer and we got it every day. I will say that the room smelled a little musty, but a quick spray of Febreeze and a dryer sheet put on the cold air return, fixed that little problem.
Another lady that deserves a lot of credit cleans the mens and womens restrooms down at the poolside restaurant, La Marimba. those restrooms are the cleanest we have ever used. She worked non-stop the week we were there, always wiping down the vanities, restrooms, and keeping the floors clean. We are sorry we didn't write her name down.
We are beach people, so we spent a lot of time at the La Marimba, and the beach bar, Tambora. The food at the breakfast and lunch buffet always had a lot to offer. Francesco, always had two beers at our table as soon as he spotted us. Another waiter, Emillo also went out of his way to make sure everthing was alright. The bartenders at the beach bar were fabulous. As the week went on they knew what you wanted. They were all so friendly and fun to be around, Greysson usually waited on us, and we loved him!! When you read other reviews about watered down drinks don't believe them.
The Star Friends go out of their way to talk to you and hopefully get you to participate in the activities. Pablo, aka Superman, stopped by our chairs to talk to us every chance he got. As much as he wanted us to participate, he wanted to make sure everything was alright for us. The other Star Friend was Batman, which we are sorry we can't remember his real name, was fun to talk to. They will make your day fun.
We did have dinner at two of the al carte restaurants, La Marimba, and La Sibala. The service and meal were excellant at both. We also found the buffet Higuey, to be a great choice also at dinner. There was to much to choose from. Our waitress at that restaurant told us to call her Naddi, as her first name is really long. On the nights we ate at the buffet she always had our wine choice ready at the table. The buffet has so many choices you would not need to book the al carte restaurants, or be upset if you can't get into the ones you want. Book the al carte's as soon as you can as they fill up fast.
A special Thanks to Apple and Iberostar, for the suburb meal on Thursday night. We met a lot of fun people from the resort and other Apple Vacationers. When you are ready to leave, which we never are, you just have to call the reception desk and ask for Goofy to send someone up for your luggage.
We are hoping to go back next year. This is a fabulous resort with a whole lot of hard working employees, so if you can, give them a tip for their service. You will receive great service either way, but it is greatly appreciated. They all work a lot of hours to make our vacation special.
Thank You Iberostar and to everyone behind the scene for a great vacation. Looking forward to coming back next year!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,
First at all, we would like to thank you for taking time to write some comments about your second experience at Iberostar Punta Cana and for choosing our hotel once again for your vacation.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to express you our satisfaction when reading how you highlighted out the excellent service of our staff members (among them Alicia, Goofy, Naddi, Francisco, Emilio, Greyson and our Star Friends) which has ensured you two unforgettable stays at our hotel. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you. Please feel free to contact us before your visit.
With kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Polish first
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

One week at Iberostar dominicana was great experience, is really pleasant to arrive a hotel for rest and have a good welcome from their staff, even if they work hard receiving complain from everybody, they always smile when I needed help...Thank you very much to all staff from reception.
Thank you very much Karen, Edwin, Luisa, Cinthia, Juan and Felix for your kindness.

My only complain is about the >Agency travel..travel2000, there services are useless and put the resort reputations in a very difficult situation.

Chapeau for the entertaiment staff...they are excellent hostess, hard workers and excelent entertaiment...congratulations to all yours staff, from the restaurants and the pool...good job.

Dolores Abreu

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for taking time to post a review about your experience among us.
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to express you our happiness to acknowledge that our friendly made your holidays unforgettable as we aim in Iberostar. We have congratulated aren, Edwin, Luisa, Cinthia, Juan and Felix whose service made a difference during your stay.
We will be glad to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from an amazing vacation. This was our first trip to DR and we had a fabulous time. This is the second Iberostar Resort that we have vacationed at and have never been disappointed. We have visited Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar, Riviera Maya, Mexico 3 times, absolutely gorgeous. This time we wanted to switch it up and go somewhere different. The staff was unbelievable. I have been on many vacations and I am very picky when it comes to food and service etc. but I have to say the staff at this resort went above and beyond. The food was great, hospitability unbelievable and the waiters kept the champagne flowing. Now that is what I call great service and a great vacation. Not once did we have to wait for service. The waiters/waitresses made sure you were taken care of at all times as well as the staff by the pool, beach, entertainment etc. This is an all inclusive resort but because of such excellent service we found ourselves tipping all the time. Great service deserve great tips ; ) I would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of the pool, very nice.
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we thank you for posting a review about your first vacation in Punta Cana and for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination.
We would like to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge that the excellent service of our friendly staff and our exquisite gastronomy ensured you an unforgettable holiday as you are used to when visiting Iberostar Paraiso del Mar in Mexico. As you well know, in Iberostar we aim to ensure unforgettable experiences to our “Stars” on vacation.
We will be glad to be contacted before your next visit; it will be a pleasure for our whole team to welcome you back.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Iberostar Dominicana Review

Reminder: This review is based on my experience at that time.

Group of eight from Aug 17 to 24, 2013.

The property is expansive. It took a couple of minutes from the public road to the lobby entrance. The lobby is bright with lots of seating.

Check-in:
Check for the correct amount of room cards and towel cards. Saves a trip back to the reception. Ask about the bed arrangement (two double or one kingsize) if pertinent. The safe is electronic but costs $2.00US a day. Wi-fi is not free. Different plans are available

Rooms:
The standard room was sufficient except for the extremely small bathroom especially for a 4+ star-rating resort and this is not an exaggeration!
Coffee maker, iron and board, hairdryer, bottled water for teeth-brushing, mini-fridge with beer, pop, water which was stocked every other day. Flat-screen tv. The balcony has a pull-out rack for hanging your wet bathsuits.
Maid service was satisfactory.
Note about ants...we left a plastic-sealed cookie from the plane on the table and the following day, ants had found their way into the wrap!!!

Grounds and Pool:
Well kept. There's a laneway, Caribbean Street, lined with shops (9am to 12pm and 1 to 4pm), souvenirs, photo, clothing etc. which is convenient if needed. The pools were well maintained and divided the Dominicana and Punta Cana resorts. If you need a little quiet time, lounge around the kid's pool area. Activities like water aerobics, water-polo, volleyball and crazy games take place around the larger pool. I liked that the beach buffet restaurant is next to the pool area.

Food:
Breakfast buffet at Higuey 7 to 10am.
For late risers, a continental breakfast at La Marimba 10 to 11:30am.
Lunch buffet at Higuey 12:30 to 3pm.
You can snack from 12am to 4pm at La Marimba, 11pm to 6am at Higuey and 11pm to 3am at El Patio.
Breakfast was standard fare. I only had lunch at the beach buffet which was acceptable so was the dinner buffet. For a 5-star I expected more variety.
I tried three a la carte restaurants.
International La Marimba: I ordered the surf & turf. The steak was a bit too chewy and the lobster on the mushy side. Edible, though.
Gourmet La Sibila: Had the lobster tail, again just a tad mushy.
Steakhouse La Cana: I read so many recommended reviews about this restaurant but I was dissappointed. Although my steak WAS medium-rare as I ordered, it was very tough.
The ones that ordered steak in my group also had the same opinion.
We concluded that since it was the last seating and only one couple plus ourselves were left, the cook wanted to go home (smile).
At the a la cartes, men should wear long pants. I witnessed a man turned away in the Gourmet restaurant but yet shorts were allowed at the La Cana (maybe it was outdoors?).
There were numerous bars and they never seemed too busy (time of year, I guess).

Beach and Watersport Center:

Yellow flags were up all week so the water was a bit rough but enjoyable. Strands of seaweed were close to shore but not a hindrance.
By 10 to 11 am, the beach huts were all occupied.
Towels were abundant, they never ran out. It's convenient that they closed at 7pm.
There was the usual non-motorized kayaking, sailing, snorkeling. Then for a fee, para-sailing,banana boat, scuba etc.

Activities:
Good idea to pick up an activities schedule. Activities normally start on time but the activity and location itself can change without notice.
The list includes archery, boccia, horseshoes, beach volleyball, bingo, soccer, tennis, table-tennis, spanish lessons, water-polo, step,stretching and water aerobics, dance lessons.

Entertainment:
The team known as Star Friends is quite entertaining, above average as animacion teams go. The nightly shows (8:15pm kids, 9:45pm adults) were average so were the audience participations.
For those that like to dance, the Star Friends band play on the Punta Cana side nightly from 8:30 pm to 11 pm with a mix of bachata, marengue, salsa and some old school slow and fast R & B. My wife and I greatly enjoyed that.
There's a disco (opens 11pm to 3am) on the grounds just a minute from the lobby where the Star Rock Cafe with karaoke is also located.
El Casino is in the lobby. Slots open at 4pm, tables at 8pm to 3am.
The Fitness center opens at 7am to 7pm.
The Spa, from 9am to 7pm.
There's Lucy's Mini Club for children between 4 and 12 years daily from 10am to 4pm.

Overall, the group and myself had a great time and I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear guests,
In the name of Ms. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we thank you for taking the time to post some comments about your experience at the Iberostar Dominicana and for choosing our hotel for your family holidays.
On the one hand, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read your positive feedback about the friendliness of our staff, the beauty of our premises and our daily and nightly wide entertainment options. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our valuable costumers.
On the other hand, we regret to read that our exquisite cuisine could not meet entirely your palate’s expectations as our Executive Chef aims to cater our gastronomy to our largely international clientele. We have forwarded him your lines about our kitchen performance.
We are waiting for your return. Please feel free to contact us prior your arrival.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Overall this hotel is a good deal esp for the price paid. We are a couple in our late twenties that wanted to go to on a budget friendly vacation this year. We have travelled always in Mexico and this was our first time in PC.

Check-in:
We were not greeted with drinks as we are used to. We have stayed in both Iberostar and Dreams before. It might be due to the fat that we were only of two couples arriving at that time. It was quite fast and we gave our room information to the bell boy. We decided to go to the lobby and have a drink. We then went to our room and were disappointed to see that our luggage was left outside our room. We thought that they would have access to the room and therefore why we didn't go straight to the room. I suggest the front desk tell guests that because although no one touched our bags I still prefer that they not be left outside.

Beach:
Plenty of chairs on the beach but if you want a prime spot you need to be up early to play the towel game. Bavaro beach is beautiful. If you travel further down in front of the Bavaro/ grand side you can see the pink in the sand. Truly beautiful beach. We didn't buy anything on the huts down the beach because we did not feel like bargaining with the vendors.

Pools: I know that others do not like the music all day at the pool but I actually loved it when they had the music going! The water aerobics class was really neat! The games and crazy shows they had were amazing.

Buffet: There were always something for you to eat but I did feel like it became boring. I felt that they food sometimes was under seasoned but I feel they cook like that in purpose to better serve others. If you can sit in Clara's side (I believe that was her name) she always is in the front left side of the buffet if you are facing the buffet.

A la carte: be sure to book your reservations as soon as your arrive. We did so after check in. Even then we had one reschedule for the seafood restaurant that I was looking forward to eating. We had the steakhouse that was OK. I would have liked to see it be a Brazilian steakhouse type restaurant such as the one in Iberostar Del Mar. Beware the floor is sand so don't wear heals! We loved the Japanese restaurant. I liked the appetizer bar better than the main course. Our second favorite was the gourmet restaurant. I liked the decor of that restaurant and the pasta dish I had was really good. The surf and turf was overcooked. The apple dinner's menu was OK but it was fun. They raffled out prizes and we won a free massage.

Room: it was a standard room and very close to the pool which I requested two weeks before arriving. I believe it was Room 4059. The maid did an excellent job of cleaning and although we we read the mini fridge is restocked every two days, we left a note to leave us extra waters and a tip it was checked daily. When we first entered the room there was a strong musty smell. I read about this before hand brought some air fresher sheets and they did work. I also brought febreeze. I never had a problem with a maid throwing the sheets out. The two decorative pillows on the bedside have a really strong musty smell but as soon as we laid down we threw them on the couch in room.

Entertainment:saved the best for last! The entertainment team is amazing! Best Of all the hotels I have gone to. Pantera and Evelyn were so much fun. The bikini contest was the best! The female supervisor was a lot of fun as well but I just can't remember her name. The night shows are so much fun! We wished we would have recorded all of them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Dominicana and for choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we want to express you our satisfaction to read your positive lines referring the beauty of our premises, the variety of our exquisite gastronomy and entertainment options, our value for money and the friendliness of our staff which ensured you a pleasant holidays and despite the incidences upon your arrival for which we apologize. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure a memorable experience to our beloved guest.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
With kindest regards,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We've just came back from 2 weeks vacation in the Iberostar Dominicana Hotel stayed in 3773 room (bungalow) from Aug 30 to Sep 13th. Everything was perfect and we really enjoyed our stay. The food, beach and the staff exceeded our expectations. Special thanks to the animation team; Bianny, Evelyn, Franchesca, Caribear, Pablo, Fernando and the amazing Pantera :))).
Very good managed hotel with a lot of personnel who don't stop to make your stay pleasant, always smiling, dancing and ready to serve you. We will certainly come back soon.

Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Dominicana as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write a review about your experience on Tripadvisor.
We want to express how pleased we are to read that our exquisite cuisine, the excellent service of our friendly staff and the beauty of our premises including Bavaro Beach not only met your expectations but also ensured you an unforgettable stay as we aim in Iberostar. We have congratulated our Star Friends for making your stay especial.
We will be glad to welcome you back and to be contacted by you before your next visit.
With regards,
GO BUCKEYES!!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Went to Ibersostar Dominicana with another couple on Aug 23-30th. We are all in our 50's - but not hard to please. Because we booked together and were vacationing together, we "thought" we would be placed within a few rooms of each other at the resort. NOT SO - we were on opposite side of the 4000 building. We had a horrible view, fridge did not work, phone did not work, air barely worked. We went to the front desk to get this changed for the numerous reasons listed. They did make the change for us and we ended up in rooms 4083 and 4024. Anyway - there is NO thermostat in the rooms to adjust your air temp. Thank goodness I took a small fan, which my maid was fascinated with - so I left it for her. Her name was Mildred and she was a sweetie.

Have you ever heard of a resort that does not make "frozen" drinks? Well, this one does not and there is no alcohol in your drink if you don't ask? So I had Strawberry daqs, margaritas and pina coladas w/ice - none frozen (except for the lobby bar which can make frozen). I thought that was kinda weird. But LOVED Maria at the pool - she is the "Drinkie, Drinkie" girl! always with a smile. Please tip her, even if your drinks suck - she works very hard. My hubby was ok with the drinks as he does not mind non frozen drinks.

FOOD - for cryin in the mud - don't waste your time at the buffet - if you do not have a reservation somewhere for dinner, go to the ROCK CAFE (American restaurant,no reservations required) - it was very good! Shrimp fritters = awesome. We loved the french restaurant - ordered lobster and it was delish. Also had lobster at the seafood rest, and it was great also. I was very unhappy with the buffet, but once we got to go to our reservations - we ate like kings! Steak rest - sand floor, so don't bother dressing up ladies. The hubby liked the buffet since they had mussels at every meal. He ate so many, he should be good for the year. Have to book the restaurants right away - I would suggest even before you go to your rooms.
But seriously, the buffet food was not very good. It is beautiful - presentation is everything there, but if it tastes bad who cares how pretty it is. I would have killed for a bagel.....and for some reason in Punta Cana you get a 1/2 cup of coffee and the rest is cream - if you take cream. One in our group took theirs black - still 1/2 cup of coffee. Really strange how they do their coffee there.

Get your pure vanilla extract while your there (so cheap!), and smokes are only $26.00 a carton at the airport, in case you have smokers in your group.

Overall, we had beautiful weather and therefore, had a good time. I see people state this beach is beautiful? Really?!! Are they comparing to Myrtle Beach? We went to the beach only twice, it was so bad. Once past the beach loungers, there is a hill...(my hubby had to help me down) to get down to the water (prob 4 ft down). We tried to lay in a lounge chair at the edge of the water - but we just got sand blasted. Maybe it was the time of year - but the waves were very rough. And the first 10 feet out into the water, was nothing but sand churned up all day long.

The grounds are beautiful, lots of hard work going on everyday with their landscapers. Giving this a 3 star because the restaurant food saved them - otherwise, probably would have been lower. And if you plan to be in the pool - take a raft so you don't have to pay $15-20 for one at the resort.

Remember my American friends - they do not, I repeat - do not cater to you in Punta Cana and that's ok. Just don't go expecting to be able to commmunicate with everyone there. Mostly Europeans and others. I know one thing - If I ever see another speedo, it will be too soon.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the third floor - MISTAKE. They have these huge concrete flower boxes on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your experience.
We would like to express you how much we regret to acknowledge that your stay was not satisfying and that our hotel premises and services could not meet entirely your expectations. We appreciate your positive valuation about the friendliness of our staff. In Iberostar we want our valuable costumers to “enjoy being a Star”. We have forwarded your feedback to the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate our performance with North American costumers.
We kindly invite you to give us the chance to show you how we care about our valuable costumers; please feel free to contact us before your return.
With regards,

Been to Iberostar Dominicana Hotel? Share your experiences!