“Had a very nice time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Bavaro Suites

You added Iberostar Bavaro Suites to your Saves list
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda - Playa, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
Chicago
“Had a very nice time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is only my second experience at an all-inclusive resort. There were a lot of things to like about this place, but definitely room for improvement. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. I will say reception was a little lacking. We were not greeted or offered a refreshment, which would have been nice after a long day of travel.

I had booked a room with a king bed, but we were given two doubles. We made the best of it as we didn't really feel like fighting and moving. Also, took us a while to figure out the switches for the bed lamps and the fan were behind the pillows on the bed. I found this out when I was sleeping and accidentally bumped the switch and turned the light on.

The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was nice except the shower door didn't close and water leaked all over the floor by the toilet. I'm sure this is not typical of all the rooms, but I think housekeeping needs to communicate more with maintenance. The minibar is stocked every other day, so if you want extra, leave your maid a note and a tip and she will leave extras.

We all thought the food was good and the variety was excellent. If you can't find something you like, you are way too picky. There are several restaurants including French, Cajun, Japanese, seafood and steak/American. They were all very good.

Drinks were good and strong enough. You have to ask for the better liquors or you will get the cheap rail stuff. The only thing I have to complain about is they are served in cafeteria glasses at the pool and on the beach. The other resort I stayed at, the drinks were served in plastic hurricane glasses with fruit and umbrellas so it felt more like vacation. I guess it really doesn't matter, it just felt a little cheap and low-class.

The beach and pool were wonderful. Get out there early if you want a good spot. We only had one day where someone moved our towels and hid them in a pile (sorry Europeans but you are extremely rude).

The staff was extremely friendly and made our stay a lot of fun. All-in-all I would recommend this resort and would definitely come again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Bavaro for your vacations and in the name of Mr. Dejan Grubanov; we also thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
We are happy to know that your stay was pleasant although some of our services could not live up your expectations based on your first all-inclusive experience. We appreciate your positive lines referring our gastronomy, friendly staff and beauty premises especially Bavaro beach. In Iberostar we are on the best beaches worldwide. Likewise, we have communicated your suggestions our departmental managers so we can improve the vacation experience of our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any request you might have prior your return.
With regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Polish first
Augsburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

All of the animationteam were great. If someone don't wanted to dance or something they went anway and did'nt asked a thousand times more.
Also the the room-cleaning-team were very friendly and the room was excellent clean!

We know that we want coming back cause all in all it was absolutely perfect for vacation and for relaxing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,
First at all we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Bavaro for your vacation and for taking time to write some comments about your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov and his team, we would like to express you how glad we are to read how you highlighted out the friendliness of our Star Friend and housekeeping crews. In Iberostar our entire staff works with illusion to make unforgettable our costumers’ vacation.
We will be happy to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your return.
With kindest regards,
Alva, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went for a family members wedding. Beautiful beach, friendly staff, and very clean rooms. Be sure to go to the al carte restaurants, the buffet is just average. Only complaint was the phone in the room did not work. We informed the hotel at least five times of this and it was never fixed. Just loved the entertainment staff. They were so full of life and really made the time enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at Iberostar Bavaro.
We appreciate your nice words referring the kindness of our staff members and the beauty of our hotel premises. Those are valuable aspects for us in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. Likewise, we extend our apologies for the breakdown in the service of the repair of the phone in your room. We have sent your feedback with our Maintenance and Front Desk managers to work on this matter.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again and remain at your disposition for any request you might have prior your return.
With kindest regards,
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Our stay at the Iberostar Bavaro was excellent from the welcoming arrival at Reception with tropical drink to the personable check-out to visit again. They take great care of you; you can tell in the details that their priorities are customer service and striving to deliver a wonderful vacation experience. Fill out the questionnaires you receive with any helpful input you may have, Iberostar wants and uses guests’ feedback.
We were repeat Iberostar guests (10th visit), but our first to the Bavaro. We appreciated the ‘welcome back’ flowers, fruit plate, bottle of rum and heart-shaped swan towel art, plus an invite to a Manager’s Cocktail Party – outstanding entertainment with two acrobats; and we won two massages to the Sensations Spa! We would definitely go back to the Spa and pay for those wonderful massages, very professional and expert (with Lydia and Camila, I think).
The IB was stellar in every way - from Reception's helpful explanation of the resort & hotel map, buffet hours & locations, restaurant reservations with Guest Services, etc.; to the bellman who whisk you & your luggage in a golf cart to your room pronto; to the restaurant/bar service and wait staff who work hard non-stop and always offer a friendly smile & hello and remember you & your likes (I like when they break out in song); to thorough, efficient & timely maid/room cleaning (plus creative towel art with flower petals in the bathroom) and nightly turn-down service with chocolate & towel replenishment (nice perk); mini-fridge requests are fulfilled per specific wants - mas cerveza y agua por favor ;-); and free, yes, free WIFI is included now - at check-in you are given a sign-on & password (only used in room, did not try anywhere else).
We stayed in a recently renovated ocean-front villa suite (all new decor) facing the pathway/road – with a very comfortable king-sized bed (extra down pillows in the closet); decent storage (enough shelves, drawers, hangers in closet, & roomy safe for two people); robes, slippers & umbrellas are included amenities; the AC worked great - give it a little time to kick in as it is shut off since the last guests, and turn the fan on over the bed for more circulation. One thing I wasn’t keen on was the frosted glass bathroom door, which directly faces the door to outside, but at least there’s a door ;-)
We are low-key people who go on vacation to relax on the beach and we were so very happy we didn’t have to play the towel game. There were plenty of chaise lounges with palapas for shade from the strong sun - mind you, the front-row ones were taken but even at 10am there were unreserved ones. Our building was close to the Dive Center, so we parked ourselves under a palapa on that part of the beach, and enjoyed the delivered drink service since we were a ways from the beach bars. We're not very outgoing people, we didn't join in any of the activities or fun with Star Friends - we enjoy watching from afar ;-)
We also enjoyed strolling around the tropical landscaped grounds & walkways lined with palms and other foliage, including the Paseo del Orquideario (Orchidarium Path) with pretty orchid plants - after stuffing ourselves at breakfast and dinner (we didn’t work out at the gym). The landscaping crew cultivates and maintains the grounds exceptionally well – Iberostar really shines in this area.
I only have to reiterate that the food is very plentiful at every meal; you won't have a problem finding something tasty. The variety of dishes that they prepare incorporating different themes/nationalities is mind-boggling, incredible feats really. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast most - love the made-to-order omelets with bacon, and pastries like thick-glazed donuts and chocolate croissants - yum!! But truly, we had many appetizing meals throughout our ten-day stay (also loved the chicken, fish and beef). For a change-up we ate at the Cajun, Steak and Gourmet a-la-carte reservation restaurants (or you could try Japanese, Mediterranean, Mexican), and they were very good - and an excuse for me to wear dressier outfits; however, we prefer the buffet dinner experience where we don't have to eat at a set time.
We usually hung out at the lobby/theater bar at night, watching the show (Supah!), playing cards and drinking yummy cocktails and shots of mamajuana; sometimes we walked over to the Iberostar Dominicana patio bar on the beach, enjoying the nice tropical breeze. We went to the disco a few times, but only had fun dancing one night, the music didn't really appeal to us, but we're not young anymore...
Summing it up for us, the Iberostar Bavaro checks all the boxes, fulfills all our needs for a fabulous beach vacation (at a reasonable cost too) - we wouldn't go anywhere else in Punta Cana, and hope to return next November. Muchas gracias.

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holidays’ destinations and for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Iberostar Bavaro.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov and the entire team, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read your excellent valuation about our varied gastronomy, the daily and nightly activities proposed by our star Friends, our beautiful premises and the friendliness of our staff which met your expectations based on your ten experiences at other Iberostar Hotels. As you well know, the friendliness of our staff is one of our strengths in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts and we work with illusion to remain so.
We are already looking forward to welcome you back again; please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you before your next visit.
With regards,
SHELTON, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

First I would like to say that I am no stranger to all inclusives having traveled over the last 12 years to an island per year. The Iberostar Bavaro is a very clean resort but lacking in customer services and the food was awful ( the buffet ) the mystery meats were just that a mystery, all tasted funky not like the USA at all. so I ate fruit for 5 days I traveled with my husband and another couple. The greeting was not friendly at all I am used to a cold towel and nice drink, I got a grunt from the guy behind the desk, no info about the resort at all and a watered down drink. The room smelled so bad of mold and must I had to move, which they did they next day to another musty, moldy room but they did give us a dehumidifier that was useless. We were never told we could use all the other hotels ( except the Grand ) so we lost out on that. The food was terrible and we were sick, not terribly sick but sick enough. Take my advice and stay at the Grand I heard that its 5 star and believe it. The vendors selling there wares were the most annoying, pushy people ever I can't believe the hotel allowed them to set up tables in the lobby on night so they can descend on us like flys on garbage, it was horrible , we actually had to be very rude to get them to leave us alone. Again the grounds were pristine and the beach was great but I would never stay here again . I had numerous problems with the shower, my room key did not work for 3 days and the air conditioning was less then cooling. The lack of English speaking people at the resort was completely frustrating as well. I would rate this hotel at 2 star being that there are much much better food and rooms then here.

Room Tip: Do not take any rooms by the night club unless you want to be up all night and hope you get one that...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, hotel Manager, we thank for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We would like to extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you might have encountered during your vacation here at our hotel which could have ruined your holidays and made you live our premises with a misperception of our quality of services, gastronomy and facilities. We would like to reassure you however that this is not a true depiction of our standards of operation here at the Iberostar Bavaro. We have forwarded the aforementioned comments to all relevant department heads as to ensure that service is up to our standards and we will do our outmost not to have a reoccurrence of the situations mentioned.
We remain at your entire disposition for any further assistance and will be glad to show you in the future how we make feel as “Stars” our valuable costumers like you.
Kindest regards,
Shelton, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I really want to remain objective here, but the fact is my stay here was just horrendous. I'll do my best. I've stayed at several all inclusive resorts (see my review of the Grand Pineapple in Antigua) so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect at these sorts of places. I've also been to an Iberostar at Jamaica's Rose Hall, and having had a great experience there, I really was completely taken aback by what I encountered at this place.

Check In: The receptionist, Roogen, barely looked up at us when we walked in and grunted, "last name?" We told him and were handed a bunch of paperwork to fill out, name, address, passport #, etc. 10 minutes later someone walked over with a pina colada, so I got over the rude first impression and we were taken to our rooms. Didn't tell us where to eat, anything at all about the resort, and we only were able to find a map after searching through the mound of paperwork we were all handed.

Rooms: Avoid 1097, 1098 at all costs. Right across from the "nightly entertainment" which blasts through the walls until midnight each night. The rooms smelled to high heaven like mold. The first night when we first walked in after dinner, before going out again to get some drinks we heard constant banging and hammering. After calling the front desk (twice) they answered and told us there was no construction. After it started again, we called back. As we were on the phone we heard it stop, then watched as 4 men with hard hats, ladders, and drills. Anyways, at least it stopped. The air conditioner and the refrigerator both didn't work in these rooms as well. After the first night of listening to Spanish music and bass blast through the walls until midnight, we requested to change rooms. Initially we were told the ones available were in the same vicinity, and the other one was far away. We stayed with another couple and didn't want our rooms to be apart. After much more persuading and speaking to Betty, the manager, she was able to find rooms near each other.

We get to these rooms, after having the inconvenience of packing up our rooms, (we waited on the phone for 10 minutes for someone to answer, this was a common problem anytime you needed to speak with someone) we were brought to the new rooms. Our room no longer smelled like mold, 2536, but room 2412 was disgusting. Their clothes hung on to the stench of the mold the entire flight home. Another issue in this room was the keys. They were constantly locked out of their room, 3 nights in a row. Turns out it wasn't the keys, but the entire electronic system in the door. After calling management from my room (and waiting as the phone rang for 5-10 minutes each time) they fixed it, only to have it break the next two nights. They actually had to leave their balcony door open so they could break into their own room to prevent this from happening, as the 3rd night it happened they were locked out of the room in the pouring rain for 30 minutes.
The other thing that happened was partly due to operator error on my part and partly due to lack of explanation on theirs. In order to get hot water the dial must be turned all the way to hot BEFORE turning the water on. If it is turned on in its neutral position and THEN turned to hot, the water will remain cold. After washing my hair in the sink and taking a freezing cold shower, my boyfriend was able to contact facilities (after waiting on hold forever) and discuss with him the problem. He explained it to us and it didn't happen again.

After all of this happened, management sent someone in our room to turn the bed down with chocolates and rose petals, the next night they sent Champagne to the room, and the following day they called to see how everything was. The other couple who was locked out of their room multiple times and slept in a mold infestation, was never contacted .

The Food: Holy hell. Let me explain that my boyfriend has a stomach of steel. In 4 years, I have NEVER seen him with an upset stomach of any kind. The French Restaurant, La Cupola or something, took care of the that. He was VIOLENTLY ill. Diarrhea, nausea, the whole 9. We had to go in early that night and he continued to be sick the next day, which was the day we left. He was sick the entire next morning AFTER we arrived home, as was the other couple, one of which actually had to call out of work because of constant dry heaves. I believe this was due to consuming raw meat. 90% of the meat consumed at the buffet or restaurant was RAW. Bloody, gooey, raw. My boyfriend prefers his meat medium-rare and had to send his back multiple times, almost everywhere we went. It was to the point we were all stopped eating the meat entirely and had some difficulty even finding appropriate things to eat. The cheeseburgers were gross, the meat didn't taste right and after some investigating it was found that the Dominican Republic does not have any of their own cows, all of their beef is imported. They did give Dasani bottled water everywhere we went and the steakhouse was delicious, as was all of the fish we had, including sushi. The Japanese had habachi which was wonderful, although we all had to send our meat back.
The staff in the restaurants were friendly, spoke no English at all, and were attentive.

Alcohol: Absolut Vodka, Jose Especial Cuervo (the white one), Jack Daniels, and some other name brands. They ran out of the Jose almost every night. Every time I asked for cranberry and vodka, I received vodka and grenadine. The only beer there was their own, Presidente, which was pretty good but a nice Corona and lime would have been nice.

The Beach: Wonderful. 5 stars. The people on the beach: Atrocious. They were like flies on ****. Magnets. Persistent. Would NOT leave us alone. Terrible. Then when we got off the beach, they were by the pool, in the lobby, everywhere trying to get us to sign up to take professional photos., banana boat, parasail, snorkel, etc. We said no at least 5 times, they would NOT go away unless we actually said the words "GO AWAY" or walked far enough away that they stopped following. There were cabanas, so finding shade was not difficult.

After the stay from hell. (altogether we probably spent an entire day trying to make our stay more comfortable between the room switch, being locked out, the food issues, and hot water problem, the fending off the people trying to sell stuff everywhere) our flight wasn't until 5pm unfortunately. So we asked for late check out. They told us that we could do that if we each spent $20/hour after the initial 12pm check-out.

I have been to St. Thomas, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Antigua, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, as well as well traveled throughout the US. I have never, NEVER, had an experience like this at any place I've ever been. We stayed 5 nights, 6 days, and spent $1250 each. We should have stayed home. And you should too.

Please email me with questions and comments, I will happily advise you of other places you can stay and get your moneys worth. I'd like to save you from the experience that we had.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOMS IN THE 1097,1098 area. 100 feet from the "nightclub" which blasts music until...
Kindest regards,
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful place to stay. White sands blue beaches all around. We stayed for two weeks jus a few days ago and they were going thru new staff training. Well when we complained about a few things and we were offered the world but nothing happened. The new guest service man was more interested in taking my daughter out and getting her facebook information then helping us out. Your new staff is worse then ever. Other then that food was great are rooms were always clean. Word of advice your guest services needs to be corrected.

• Stayed November 2013
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear reviewer,
We have contacted you via Tripadvisor to share information with our Management team. We regret not having been informed about this uncommon situation and serious accusation during your stay among us. We are waiting for your response to take the appropriated measures.
Sincerely yours,

Been to Iberostar Bavaro Suites? Share your experiences!