“this a great resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Bavaro Suites

You added Iberostar Bavaro Suites to your Saves list
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda - Playa, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Lodi, nj
“this a great resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

this is the first time i traveled to punta cana and am i glad i chose the Iberostar Bavaro. Everything was exellente from the beginning. We stayed there from March 3 to March 7 we had room #2355. i never experienced any problems and yes my air conditioner worked fine.the room was always very clean and of course we always tiped the cleaning girl. the room service was exellente in less than 10 minutes we always had our order in the room. The food at the buffet was good and the la carte restaurants were exellente for this was one of my big concerns before going to the resort. I liked The stake House the best as well as the mediteranian restaurant.
the lobby bar was superb as well as the pool bar .The drinks were fantastic especially the Mama Juanas. Even the the people serving the drinks on the beach were exceptional. The night entertainement was pretty good we usually hung out at the Iberostar Domenincana it seemed like more of a party crowd besides they had the casino next door as well as the disco.
The gronds were very well kept i enjoyed the walkway alongside the palm trees to the pool and to the beach. The bungalow suites are very spacious. the water pond next to the buffet with The Flamengo birds was stunning a thing of beauty to see and take pictures. Yes there was always plenty of food wherever you went to eat. All in all this was a great price for the buck we even thought about staying at the Grand Bavaro which would have cost us an extra 800 dollars for the 5 days 4 nights we stayed , well i'm glad i didn't spend the extra money. I belive the only diffrenece betweeen the grand and the this hotel is that the grand is adults only so what tha'ts only good if you are on a honeymoon or you are an older couple who don't want the kids running around. as far as foreigners goes you see alot of French people there Germans Brasilians and Argentinans everybody there was polite especially Germans. This is a gret a resort for couples or for a family not too many singles there.
Now i never post any reviews on anything but this time i had to give credit where credit is due.The Iberostar Bavaro is an exellent place to stay at in Punta Cana. I cant wait to go back the all inclusive service is the best and belive me i had no issues with anything. One more note the people working there never pressured me to tip at any time and i liked that although i always gave something. remeber these people only make about 120 dolars a month so be generous.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

As many of you may have spent countless hours reading reviews trying to make a decision on where to stay in Punta Cana. I can save you the time and headache as I've also done the same.

We chose the Iberostar Bavaro based on the reviews of tripadvisor. I wish I would have be informed more about the lack of AC on the property. The resort of this star rating should surely have a working AC, especially if travelling with kids. We complained many times to only have a so called technician with a walkie talkie make adjustments to whatever he thought would make the AC work. He told us to wait 20-30 minutes for the AC to kick in but it never made a difference to the room temperature. It was cooler outside than inside our room. We had to sleep with our windows open but if your not facing the water there was little breeze during the night.

The overall rooms had a moldy smell and the washrooms were small and unclean to the standards of a 4 star rating. The rooms I would rate more of a 3 star instead.

The resort itself was fine nothing grand to mention.

The food however was good, especially the buffets. Each night you would have a themed evening, the paella is a must try. The restaurants were also good.

The biggest plus for this property is the beach. Beautiful long stretch of white sands and blue turqoise waters. The water was calm enough for the kids to play in, although it does change during the time of day.

For the amount of money you are planning to spend on a vacation, you need to have better quality rooms and at least a working AC.

Overall I would not recommed this resort for your vacation spot.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Long Ilsand New york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

This resort was beautiful and so well kept. The staff worked so hard and was always singing & smiling while they worked. We did tip constantly but never felt that was the reason we got good services. Everyone there is eager to serve you and do want it takes to get the job done . I was truly impressed .

It is a very large resort and the three resorts flow together. They have golf carts in the lobby areas that will take you where ever you want to go. Plenty of activities poolside and at the beach. The staff tries to get you to join but they are intrusive. There is a small casino, & a fun disco. There is a shanty town on the beach and a Caribbean Street in the resort to buy some souvenirs. The vendors in the shanty huts are very aggressive. The gym is OK small number of old machines it served it’s purpose. The food was OK but got boring. I did get sick but can’t pinpoint what I ate.

Beware if you are going during hotter weather - the air conditioning didn’t work throughout the resort!! It was slightly uncomfortable this time of the year but I would think in hotter weather it would unbearable. This problem is noting in TA for months now.

Also, the beds are maybe slightly bigger than a twin NOT Queen size at all. Very uncomfortable to share.

We stayed in the resort but had an unpleasant and scary experience on the trip to the airport. This is a very dangerous island and you should read up on the so you are prepared.

I would not travel to DR again since I felt very unsafe.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
cleveland,ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

after a 30 min shuttle from the airport, check in was easy. this was our 2nd trip to punta cana but 1st at this resort. our room was nice and spacious. the air conditioning was so cold we had to turn it off. grounds are immaculate, food was goo. always a great selection. the ocean water was warmer than the pool, but lots of sun and relaxation. ala in all a great time. the mediterrain restrant was the best,

Scarborough, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I have never written a review before, but found the reviews for this hotel so helpful - thought it was time to contribute. It is rather long, but hope it helps.

This was a trip with extended family - twelve total - five people between the ages of 50 and 58 and seven between the ages of 24 and 25. Everyone in the group is well traveled and has had experience with fine establishments. We all loved it at the Bavaro...

Cleanliness: I am not sure I have ever stayed at a cleaner hotel. The grounds are immaculate and the rooms are very clean. The beach is raked each morning. Restaurants and food serving areas were also very clean and well kept. I was never concerned that the food was out in the heat as other reviewers have mentioned. I am very sensitive to "musty" smells, and there was no problem with this. It is the humid tropics and there is always a difference in the odors - but all was good.

Rooms: The rooms are very nice. They are not as plush as other hotels that I have experienced, but have everything you need. They are large and have plenty of space for lounging. (But who wants to be inside when it is so lovely outside!) The bathrooms are a little tight as some have noted, but we did not find this to be a problem. Be careful - the floors are slippery. We had one accident in our group.

Air conditioning: There have been several reviews that have complained about the air conditioning system. This does appear to be a problem throughout the resort. We had a total of seven rooms. When we arrived, about half had some problems with the air that just seemed to correct itself after a few days. The room that my husband and I stayed in never got the air back, but we found the fan to be enough to keep us cool in the evenings with doors open (ask for a second floor room - much more comfort in keeping doors and windows open.) We never even asked that they try to fix it. All of us identified the air conditioning as a weak point, but none of us felt it detracted much from the overall experience.

Staff: Exceptional. We found the Dominican people to be genuinely interested in providing good service - very pleasant and likable. We got to know many of the bar tenders and wait staff, and enjoyed them very much. By the end of the week, they knew us, were joking with us and we felt so welcome! We did leave tips for exceptional service, but never felt that the service we received was contingent on tipping. Be generous- they deserve it!

Buffet: The food was generally quite good - not exceptional - but good. It was what we expected from an all inclusive. The buffet has something for everyone. If you are a healthy eater - you will find all kinds of salads, delicious fresh fruit and vegetables. For those who want to pile it on, there are many meats, seafood, fried foods, etc. Also have a nice cheese selection. The breakfast buffet is very nice -something for everyone. None of us minded eating at the buffet, however it was nice to have a break from the buffet style at the restaurants. I liked the pool buffet for lunch and the main buffet for breakfast.

Restaraunts:
All twelve of us ate together each night, so as you can imagine the reservations were a little more difficult. However, we did eat at the restaurants four of our seven nights. We identified the reservation system for the restaurants as their weakest point. Basically what happens is that each hotel in the Iberostar complex gets a block of seats each night in the various retstaurants. Once a particular restaurant fills that block, they take no more reservations. If the other restuarants do not fill their block the seats remain empty. On several nights the restaurants were only half full. Their computer system was down while we were there, but it was not my sense that this was the entire issue. It took some persistence, however they did accomodate all twelve of us for four nights at restaurants. Japanese was very good. The French was not our favorite - not bad - just not great. We read not so good reviews about the steakhouse, but we found it to be very enjoyable. I would not recommend the Jambalaya restaurant. Atmosphere was nice and we were very excited about the menu, but the food quality here was not up to our standards.

Overall Service: If you want something - just ask. The bar tenders are willing to make drinks exactly as you request. My son wanted rum in his minibar and I wanted champagne. We left a note and our request was accomodated. Before I left home, I wrote reservations and requested a specific room location (see more about location below). When we arrived I was in the building requested along with two other rooms. Another was nearby and two were a ways off. I asked if we could please all be in the same area, and pushed my luck, to request a specific building or two. They accomodated! One party did not get their room until 6:00 as a result but it was worth it, and we appreciated that they worked to make us happy. (And they did this with a positive attitude.)

Room location: I have seen many inquiries about room location. If you go on-line, you can get a map of the grounds with the buildings numbered. We requested rooms near the beach and pool. Three of us ended up in building 129 and four in 127. These were perfect locations for us. We were so close to the beach that if anyone forgot something it was quick walk back, and we could use our own bathrooms all day. We spent all our time at the beach rather than the pool because it is so lovely. The pool is nice also, and it seemed a great place if you had smaller children. We loved the beach in front of our rooms because it was not as deep. About 5-6 rows of chairs. If you stay in buildings 233-236, you are closer to the water sports area, and the beach is deeper with many more people. Our end seemed more intimate and was right at the beach bar which we really enjoyed. My recommendation on location, if you want to be close to the action is buildings 131, 130, 129, 128. (Note that the beach front side is not likely to be available - I hear they are reserved for time shares). And...132, 127 123, 124 125 126 on the beach end would also be nice. If you prefer more quiet and secluded and don't mind a walk to the beach or pool you should stay on the lobby side of the walkway that separates buildings 121 and 120 and 241 and 254.

Beach Chairs: As other reviewers have mentioned, people mark chairs early. We always were able to get chairs in the row along the water by marking chairs with our towels by 7:30 - 8:00. Some reviewers have complained that people mark chairs and then don't sit in them for hours. They are correct. Regardless of whether you feel this is fair, it is the way it works. Once you mark your chair, it is pretty much yours for the day, and people figure this out early in their stay. So we decided - when in Rome do as the Romans..it worked well for us. Since we were a large group, we generally had 7-8 chairs and people rotated with various activities. I recommend that you turn your dirty towels in to the towel hut each afternoon and instead of getting a towel card back - ask for clean towels. They do not open the hut until 8:00 am, so you will have your towels early this way.

Fitness Center Spa: The fitness center is decent - better if you get there early as it does get crowded. Some of us worked out a few days and found there to be plenty of aroebic and weight machines as well as a decent selection of free weights. A couple of us used the spa for getting a massage. The massage was great. The spa itself is simple and not as plush as others I have experienced-so don't have those expectations.

All twelve of us would recommend this hotel. It is a great value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Upland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Iberostar Bavaro. We took a taxi from Punta Cana airport to the resort. (Just look for the yellow/green taxi sign and the guys in pink shirts when you exit the terminal.) It’s about a 30 minute ride and costs a flat US $38. Don’t bother to exchange any money as USD is widely accepted and preferred. The resort is gated with a guard and we had to get out of the taxi and speak with the reception desk on the phone before the guard allowed us to drive in! We arrived about 3 p.m. and our room was not ready, but we were issued with our wrist bands and went to get something to eat and take a look around so it wasn’t a big deal. A bell boy in a golf cart drove us and our luggage to our room (#1195). When we entered the room it was extremely hot and humid and smelled very musty. The bell boy left very rapidly saying the a/c was over there as he practically ran out of the door. After he left, we discovered the a/c in fact did not work at all, so we had to walk all the way back to the lobby to see if we could change our room. Some basic Spanish is necessary and will definitely make communication easier. It ended up being 2 more hours before our new room was ready so we didn’t get into our room until 6 p.m. This room (#3704) was furthest away from the beach, near the disco (although we weren’t really bothered by any noise) and had double beds which they pushed together but the a/c was pumping out cold, cold air and did for our whole stay.

The resort itself is huge and beautiful. The rooms are in groups of 8 in 2 story buildings. It can be a bit confusing to find your way around at first as there are lots of paths and they all look the same! The rooms are large and clean with a seating area and comfortable balcony and mini-bar including 6 bottles of water, a few beers, and sodas that are restocked every other day. The only “annoyances” in our new room were that the hairdryer only blew out cold air and the hot water in the shower was a little temperamental until you found the “sweet spot” and then it was fine. The grounds are immaculate, the pool is huge, and the beach is one of the best I have ever seen. Yes, people put their towels out around the pool and on the beach chairs very early in the morning (before 8 a.m.) but if you didn’t want an umbrella we could usually find beach chairs and the umbrellas tended to open up later in the afternoon. The ocean was a little chillier than I would have liked but that’s because this resort is on the Atlantic side of the island and not the Caribbean side.

There are lots of activities at the hotel and entertainment each night. My husband played a game of water polo one afternoon and we both did the free scuba diving instruction in the pool. Other than that, we didn't really participate in any other organized activities or entertainment. Walking the beach is a popular activity. You can literally walk for miles and it is the only way you can “leave” the resort. It’s also great people watching. FYI for families - no topless sunbathing around the pool but there was on the beach. If you go to the right and walk about 10 mins down the beach, there are a group of huts/shops. The vendors are a bit pushy but it’s fun to look around. You can also use the facilities, restaurants, and bars of the other 2 Iberostar hotels located next door – the Dominica and the Punta Cana.

The food was good. The main buffet is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and always well-stocked. They do have lobster on Friday nights if you are willing to line up for it! We found that the service was not good here as far as getting drinks and there was no self-service for drinks. The buffet near the pool was great and had self-service sodas, water, tea & coffee. It was open pretty much all day and we ate most breakfasts and lunches there.

We were unable to make any dinner reservations the first night as apparently they were all booked. You can make up to 3 reservations for 3 nights in advance though so we did that the first night. We ate at all of the specialty restaurants except for the Steak House. FYI – men need long pants to eat in the specialty restaurants. Our favorite was the Japanese restaurant. At the specialty restaurants the service was good and we always tipped about USD $5. They didn’t seem to expect it though. Unfortunately, at the gourmet restaurant on our last evening I got food-poisoning from the shrimp dish and was really ill. I should have known better as the dish wasn’t hot and didn’t taste good. Having said that, my husband had the lamb chops which were delicious.

The alcoholic drinks were tasty and plentiful with all kinds of fruity cocktails. We loved the beach bar. The wine was OK. It seemed better in the specialty restaurants. The red was very dry but the white was drinkable.

Dressel Divers (on site) definitely have the monopoly on excursions. If you go to their website and book ahead of time you can save 10%. We took the 2 ½ hour snorkeling tour which navigated past the wreck located just off shore, and then to a snorkeling spot about 15 mins boat ride away. The journey on the boat was very rough going and the snorkeling was OK but it was fun to get on the water for a couple of hours. After, we discovered we could snorkel right off the beach in front of our hotel and there was more of a variety and quantity of fish. We brought our own snorkel gear but you can easily “borrow” gear from the dive shop for 1 hour per day for free. We understand that the Saona Island excursion is excellent for snorkeling and diving and goes to the National Park on the Caribbean side. It is, however an 11 hour day including a 2 hour bus ride each way. If we had been at the resort longer, we would definitely have gone.

Overall, if you are looking for an “all-inclusive land cruise” in a stunning location, the Iberostar Bavaro will not disappoint.

South Kingstown, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We went to the Iberostar Bavaro looking to get away and just sit on the beach. We did just that - the beach was beautiful! Plenty of Palapas to sit under, but beware of the wind - first day we chose a palapa (Spelling) in front by the water only to have to move to the back row! The weather was beautiful and the water was a little rough but manageable. Water did have some seaweed but nothing like we can get here in Rhode Island.
The hotel has a bit to desire... our room was 1218 overlooking the pool and the water! Beautiful view - but as soon as we first entered the room, it smelled of mold and the a/c was not working correctly - also the way you turn on the ac was confusing! We would leave all the windows open during the day and until we went to bed thinking the ac was working - finally the last night we slept with all the windows open. There were no bugs except for the little ants on the floor. The resort did provide essentials - shampoos, conditioners, soap and etc. Bottled Water, soda and beer in the fridge - refilled every other day and if we wanted more bottled water, they would bring it to us. The cleaning was good - not spectacular - the workers are overworked especially on Fridays and Saturdays (turnover days) that they never got to cleaning our rooms on Friday but did provide us a change of towels.
Dinner - We ate the buffet on the first night - but because our plan allowed us to eat at different restaurant each night, we did so. I would recommend making the reservations when you arrive! Our times were late - mostly 8:30 reservations (too late for me). Recommend the Japanese, Mediterranean, and the Gourmet Restaurants. If you can eat fish, I would recommend the Groupus (sp) or the Shrimp! Morning buffet was wonderful - ate mostly egg and bacon. Lunch buffett at the pool area was very good! The only thing I missed while there was the salads - I stayed away from anything that required rinsing with water or not boiled. Drank water only from bottle or we would ask for sparkling water. Only I got sick of the three of us - basically we figured it was because I ate too much fruit! I couldn't help it - it was FRESH and good! Thankfully this only last one day!
Fitness Center - we worked out at the Fitness center every morning - we would take our towels down to the beach to reserve a palapa (back row near the beach bar was the best spot for lots of space) then head to the gym. We would get to the gym before it opened and were allowed to go in at 6:50 - you are limited 30 minutes on a machine - plenty of machines for the amount of people working out.
Shopping - we realize we were better off just purchasing gifts at the "Supermarket" within the resort.
Grounds - BEAUTIFUL - would recommend walking around the grounds and seeing the beautiful trees, flowers and the various little creatures - flamingos, egrets and more!
Would I recommend this resort? yes and no... if you're all over 18, I would recommend staying at the Grand Bavaro - next door - we were able to sneak onto the ground and walk around - beautiful! The second day we tried to walk around we were told we couldn't because we were not staying there. I think the Iberostar Bavaro needs to be updated and the ac need to be FIXED! Great place for family - the kids mostly hung by the pool rather than the beach.
What to bring? Bathing suits, flip flops (bandaids for first time wearing the flipflops), coverups, hats, capris, shorts, - really this place is VERY casual no need for extreme dressing up. Books for the beach. Suntan lotions.
Oh.. the entertainment? honestly - was awful! We never really stayed each night after a few minutes after it began... pretty sad.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Iberostar Bavaro Suites? Share your experiences!