“Great for friends!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Higuey
“Great for friends!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I went to Melia Caribe in may, the resort wasn't packed like it usually is so there was a lot more space and attention for guests. The staff was very friendly and the resort club played pretty good music. The food was above average for a buffet at a resort, they had a wide variety of selections and making reservations was easy.

my recommendation is
1) go with friends
2) if you go, make dinner reservations early on in the trip and day. They book fast.
3) Get out of the resort and do the private island tour (saona island) it was amazing!
4) wifi sucks so dont' even bother trying to upload anything during the trip.
5) the beach might be far away from your room, so bring comfortable shoes.
6) bring singles for tipping.
7) use bug spray lol

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Tsetan D;

Warms regards from Punta Cana,

We would like to thank you for your preference and loyalty to our Meliá Caribe Tropical. We are glad to know that we have accomplished our goal, your total satisfaction with our services.

One more time, we would like to express our gratitude for having taken the time to express your impressions. We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to continue counting with your loyalty and serve you in another occasion here at “Your Home away from Home”.

Kind regards,

Web Community Liaison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The dates of our stay were 5/21 - 5/31, family with 2 kids - 5 and 10 y.o.
Upon coming out from the minibus we proceeded to the nearest counter, where they tried to find us in the list of guests and didn't and then suggested that we go "over there" to another counter, since there are different lists.
I assume this implied Level guests, Level adults only, and other All inclusive guests. A bit of confusion, caused by lack of clear signs, no biggie.
At the other counter, they proceeded with "branding" our family with plastic hand bracelets, which cannot be removed for the duration of your stay. They claimed they needed it for "security", my assumption this is to restrict access of "All inclusive" guests to the Level guests exclusive areas, since all 3 guest areas are basically on the same hotel grounds and are not fenced in; they color code the bracelets for this. The bracelet is scratchy when you interact with other family members and is a point of continuous irritation.
The man at the counter suggested that our family may need a better room than the one that was assigned to us (building #18) and was checking for availability in the other building(#1), which there was and he congratulated us with a best room they have available, also really close to the kids club(which our kids did not go to anyway, b/c they didn't want to) and having internet access(he claimed the other building #18 would not have Wi-Fi,the claim I cannot confirm).
Not being familiar with any of their buildings, I relied on him to help us and the room turned out to be located very conveniently - right next to the pool, to the one of two "no reservation required" buffets, and to the beach. This was really the best location I would have picked if I had to choose myself afterwards. The only confusion I am left with, is that on the map that they give you, our building was 1 out of 6 buildings marked "Family Suites". The room I paid for was called "Family Junior Suite - 2 double beds or 1 king bed". So, isn't this really the same room I was supposed to get? Then, was he really doing me any favor or just throwing in a sales pitch of them being extra helpful?
Once we were done at the counter and made several steps away from it, few ladies "from the staff" came over and introduced a guy who would be "helping us out". This was a dirty trick and hotel needs to be more honest with their customers to let them know clearly what this is about. The guy seemed to be nice and sang the sweet songs about how beautiful everything is and how we will like it here and "tomorrow we will do a special breakfast just for you, on the beach. you tell us what time and we'll take care of everything, I'll meet you in the morning and while you eat, I'll talk about things and give you some information." This sounded really nice, like a royal treatment, and while one side of my mind was telling me "this does not seem like what we should be getting", the other side of my mind was telling me "this is doable, not that hard to set up a table on the beach and bring food to it, maybe they do want to go out of their way and make guests extra happy, so they get good reviews and references and more people come and visit this hotel." Anyway, for somebody who just came over this is not all that clear and pretty confusing. Right after we checked in, we went to eat at the Agora restaurant(buffet) next to our building and the selection of food was really limited and low quality food (like hamburgers etc.). Later we learnt this place is "closed" after lunch and only serves snacks after that until 6pm, so we went there at a wrong time of day, but back to our guy. Next morning he didn't call and didn't come over by the agreed time. Confused, I called him at the number he left and asked if he was coming, he said he was and came running. I asked if we are having a lunch at the beach. Turned out we "misunderstood him", he meant breakfast at Agora buffet (which is close to the beach, but why do I need him to eat there?) Anyway, he kept talking about how Melia would like us to enjoy our stay and come back again and they can provide a big discount next time and they have many hotels in other countries, so they have this Club Melia and they can go over some information with us while we have breakfast and then take us on a short tour... I asked how short - he said 90 minutes, but since you are with family you can probably do it in 40 minutes, but once you go to the office, don't tell them I told you you can do it in 40 minutes, and please take your wife with you. Well, I said fine, but not in Agora, we'll go to the other buffet, and so he suggested to stop at the office first in that case, since it was close by and the other buffet is on the other side of the grounds. So, we went there and were presented with a document I had to sign that said I agree to spend 90 minutes with them, at which point I felt there would not be a 40 minutes option since the guy who brought us was already gone. I said fine, but I'll do it alone w/o my wife and kids and they said no, your wife must be with you. At this point, it sounded awfully similar to those time share deals where they pressure you and mostly your wife, I guess b/c women resist less. We went through such an ordeal once on some package tour that included a sea cruise and it was 3-4 hours of torture when they would not take "No" for an answer. So, at this point we left feeling pretty frustrated about this whole confusion that the "helper" created to pressure us into something we didn't want and waste our time on this. Additionally, this choice should be offered at the end of the vacation, when you had a chance to evaluate the services that hotel offers and not right after you arrive.
After this, we were left on our own to enjoy the pros and cons of the hotel, which I am going to list.
The room was fine, except all wet when we came in due to humidity, you need A/C running at all times and it wasn't running when we came. There was an issue with the sink not draining well, called the service and the plumber came quickly and fixed it, but the next day the problem came back. Oh well, bad luck. Pillows were a bit hard to my taste and sometimes would give me a stiff neck. The first couple of days we had some rains and clouds, maybe more wind and as a result the beach was trashed with dead sea grass; you had to walk through it to get to the water. For two days they didn't clean the beach and it looked like this. I complained about it to the time share guy before we parted saying who would want to come back to Melia if they don't clean the beach and it looks like trash. He said he'd talk to someone, since they want customers to be happy. They started cleaning it after the weather improved. The grounds of the hotel are very nice and well maintained and we enjoyed the scenery while walking from our building to the International Marketplace buffet, the walk takes about 15-20 minutes. With distances between different places being pretty significant, they have motorized "trains" circulating on the road, which is also the walkway. Additionally, all delivery trucks, maintenance trucks, luggage delivery trucks, motorcycles use the same road and at times it feels like a highway and you have to step aside all the time to ensure you make it alive to your destination. This reduces the pleasure from otherwise an enjoyable walk, maybe an additional pedestrian walkway could help with that. Additionally, if your building is close to the road, like ours was, this traffic & loud passengers sometimes wake you up prematurely.
Hotel has a gym, which you can use only if you wear sneakers to it(which you may not necessarily take with you on the trip). The food at the buffets is generally good with a lot of choices, however, on several instances both my wife and I got something that was spoiled, this is more an exception than a rule. Did not have upset stomach on the trip. The staff is generally friendly and helpful, however, some of them have very limited English and it's hard to get an answer to a question that does not fit within a standard FAQ set. For whatever reason, we had trouble with the maid, who would not replace snacks for like 5 days in a row even though I was leaving tips every day. Not sure if it's forgetfulness or they keep them for themselves. I think there were two of them and I talked to one of them outside and asked to leave us some chips, which she did right then, but the next day after the cleaning the room had no snacks again. So, I got tired and called the service number and said we need snacks refilled and this is not happening. The maid came in 5 min and she called them from the room to report task completion and after she left they called us again to confirm it was done. Wow, quite a thorough response. After that, the snacks were on the table every day. There are several bars on the property and you can get cocktails there, alcoholic or not. The lounge area next to the lobby is very comforting in the evening, with candles and some lighted stools and couches and beds, people sitting and laying and drinking and smoking (this is the bad part for non-smokers). There are no walls, so there is some air circulation, but still you get a second hand smoke if you go there. The non-Level guests area has a single big pool (not counting a separated kiddie pool good for kids up to five). The problem here is that there is a bar in the pool and there are some guys who drink until they lose consciousness. Your other bigger kids are in the same pool and observe the madness. Specifically, one guy came over next to the kiddie pool, which has the fountain for washing away the sand from your feet, stepped into this area, pulled his trunks down and started pissing. I was not nearby, so my wife told me that our daughter was asking her what is happening. My wife talked to the guy and asked what he thought he was doing and that there are kids around. He replied he was washing his feet. On the other occasion, like on day 5 of our visit, the staff set up an inflatable - climbing wall pyramid - in the pool, which kids started climbing and really enjoying. Then the big drunk boys came in numbers and started climbing it. Parents quickly recalled their kids from the danger zone and after a bit the staff removed the pyramid from the pool... You really need two pools, for drunks with the bar and non-drunks w/o it. The beach area has a lot of lounges; due to the low season a large number was unoccupied, however, usually the spots under umbrellas are all taken if you come out in the middle of the day. The swimming area is delimited by a rope and about half of it (the farther side) is covered by the sea grass). I've done a bunch of snorkeling there and saw about couple dozen of different kinds of fish there, some that I looked up included scary looking 4-foot green moray eel, several spotted eels of different size, ballyhoo, damselfish, sergeant fish, small stingrays, sea stars etc. Quite a variety and I can't say I saw a whole lot more on a separate snorkeling tour we paid for. It's just here fish is in smaller numbers and you have to look for it versus it swarming around coral reefs. But it is more fun to search and find it versus getting it all w/o the effort.
We've used free water sports offered by hotel, namely kayaking, 15 min scuba diving lesson in the pool, sail boat (catamaran) with a preceding 10-minute lesson on how to operate it. There was also a paddle boat. This is definitely a plus, not available everywhere. Also, paid for a parasailing experience at the same center on the beach - conveniently located. For some other trips you buy at the lobby, the shuttles from those companies collect tourists from multiple hotels and that takes a good chunk of time from your trip.
There are some "animators" at the beach, doing yoga classes in the morning and Latin dances classes in the afternoon; some people play bingo at the beach. There's beach volleyball playground on the beach that is being used half the time. What else? there's Spa where you can get massages and other stuff I've no idea about, starting from $70 for 30 min massage and going up into hundreds of dollars for more advanced treatments. There's a wedding chapel and some people do wedding receptions at a couple of areas on the beach in the evening. There are some shows and discos going on at the evening, which we could not visit b/c of kids, so cannot say how good they are. We peeked at one show, where the host was teaching Spanish classes to Americans, the fun being them unable to repeat certain words or phrases. No translation was involved into the "lesson". I did not find this show particularly interesting or fun, but cannot speak about others.
There are a number of restaurants on the hotels grounds where you can have a dinner after making a reservation. We've tried majority of them. I had a strong feeling that the food they serve is made in the same kitchen... For example, soups at all restaurants are tomato paste based(red color) - do all countries make them like that? all of them? really? Some of the dishes can be had one for one in the international buffet. I liked the food though and I mostly stick to fish and seafood. No complaints there.
Overall, I would rate our stay 3.5 out of 5 and would have given it 4 if not for the Club Melia ordeal and trouble with snacks, otherwise you can relax for the most part and have a good time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Amazing landscape, beautiful beach, friendly stuff... We stayed in Melia 4 nights and we enjoyed the every moment. Rooms are comfortable, nothing special but clean, food selection was good, pool area and beach are very nice. Only problem was, check-in took almost 30 min, even though there were not many people in front us. They need to work on this issue or hire more people in reception desk. Also i wish the brochure they gave us was in english, so many information was not explained enough by the receptionist.
But still I would definitely go back there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Burcu O;

Warms regards from Punta Cana.

We would like to thank you for your preference and loyalty to our Meliá Caribe Tropical. We are glad to know that we have accomplished our goal, your total satisfaction with our services even some distractions that you have had in your arrival; please accept our apologies about this.

We hope to have you here in “your home away from home” for another vacation and have the honor to serve you one more time.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We just came back from a family trip at the level family side of the Melia and it was amazing. When we first got there at the check-in time the ask for the reservations vouchers and obviously if they called me to confirmed two days before I did not have them. I supposed we were on the system with reservations and confirmed; but not everything is like in United States, simple and with no complications.
The hotel is beautiful, landscape very neat and well maintain. The food is good, they need to improved the peruvian restaurant and the aduls only. We did not like it at all and the couple next to us told us the same thing. The Gabi restaurant is really good, the waiters are nice and fast. The room service was awesome; fast and very generous with the food amount. The only issue, there is not LOBSTER at all. !!big mistake!! The pool is very relaxing I really enjoyed the music. the waitress were very helpful. the kids club is nice, clean and the girls very good. Guille baby-sited my son and he loved her. I liked her she looked like someone that can be trust. Really nice girl. The butler guy. Hector very helpful and professional. He deserved more than a butler position. He was the only one that look a your face not waiting for tips. Very honest guy and he got my a great ride for my birthday celebration. We had a blast!! a lot of fun, food, drinks and great attention; just what you need for vacations.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Maybelin B;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We would like to thank you for having preferred our property as your holiday destination for the enjoyment of your vacation. Our hotel is passionate about customer satisfaction. Our goal is to build strong customer relationships as well as providing spectacular experiences that create long lasting memories to our visitors. We are pleased to know that in your case we did achieve our target which met our guest’s expectations.

We are very glad to know that Guillermina and Hector of our staff members went out of their ways to make sure you were taken care of and that any need you may have was pleased and satisfied above your expectations. It is only through them that we can be a successful Company.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a future occasion.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Melia Caribe on our honeymoon. It is within 15 mins from the airport which makes a difference after the flight. When we arrived the check in process was not the quickest. We had booked a VIP package and our travel agent made a note that this was our honeymoon. After about 45 mins inline and actually checking in, we were brought to "the level" to finish a private check in.
We were greeted by a hostess and our butlers that would accommodate us during our stay. They were very friendly and nice to us the entire stay. We stayed in a decent size room on the first floor. (King size bed , hot tub inside the room and a kitchen ... I wish we stayed on the second floor ) the rooms were clean and stocked daily with some snacks. Our room was across from the pool and about a 2 min ride to the beach or a 10 min walk. The rooms closest to the beach are reserved for timeshares. I was disappointed we were not closer to the ocean. The beach was nice and clean. Very quiet.

The resort was huge. Our side was quieter and not as busy as the main side.

The food was ok. The best was breakfast. We had breakfast daily at the Gabi and tried different places within the resort for dinner. The level offers top shelf drinks every night from 7-11pm. They have a computer to check email if needed and serve some light snacks during the day. We met a hostess named "Ray " she was so nice and always suggested things to do.
We ate at the Dominican restaurant and got a little stomach ache but another night we ate at the french restaurant and had a great time. Our waiters name was Wilson. He was a very happy guy.
During our stay, our butler filled our tub with hibiscus flowers and bubbles while we were at the beach. He also informed the restaurant we were eating at that night that we were on our honeymoon. They put on quite a show singing to us and brought us a yummy cake. We were both so surprised!
I give the service a 5. They really go out above and beyond. The location is a 4 bc of where the room was located. Food was so so.
I would visit again hopefully this helps anyone who is looking Into this resort.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear MrsMB406;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you for your review, we truly appreciate that you have shared your special vacation experience in our property. I am Helia Estrella, Web community liaison. It is through the valuable observations of our clients that we are able to achieve our main goal, which is being able to create unforgettable memories.

We are very glad to know that Raydesther, Wilson and your Buttler of our staff members went out of their ways to make sure you were taken care of and that any need you may have was pleased and satisfied above your expectations. It is only through them that we can be a successful Company.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

For context, my husband and I have been to over 10 all-inclusive resorts across the Caribbean. This was our first time in DR, and we can honestly say we'd never go back. For how expensive it is to get down there, you can get 3x the amount of service & amenities for half the cost in Mexico.

We were asked if we wanted to upgrade when we arrived and since we were there for a wedding and wanted to spend our time with the wedding party we politely declined. As a "non level" guest,
they certainly make you feel the pressure to upgrade because the service you get is terrible. For example, you have to make reservations if you want to eat at one of the restaurants....which is fine, but they make it near impossible to do so. The one time we got ahold of someone to make a reservation for the last night we were there, they conveniently lost it so we were turned away at the door for not having reservations. The staff seems to be trained to tell you no 10 times before they can say yes to whatever it is you're asking for.

That being said...

Rooms: Okay, nothing special. Our safe broke and we had maintenance guys in our room for 4 hours trying to fix it. We switched rooms and the air conditioning broke in the new room. So they have a lot of deferred maintenance that they don't proactively fix until people complain. A lot of people in the wedding party had various room issues as well.

Food: Okay. We upgraded to the steak and lobster dinner one night and they were both VERY overcooked. Buffets are your standard buffets, and like i said they make it near impossible to eat at the restaurants at night.

Drinks: Horrible. Just horrible. Bottom of the bottom shelf liquor and wine and only 1 beer. If you're 21 and here for spring break and plan on being drunk the whole time, it might be worth it. Otherwise i'd avoid this place all together because you're not going to get an enjoyable drink all week unless you upgrade to Level.

Overall Service was very poor. Like I mentioned above, the staff is clearly training to ignore the non-level guests and anything you ask for you will have to ask multiple times. For example, they wouldn't let us take our bag with us to check-out. You have to call and have a bell boy take it. Which is fine. We left a tip for him and called before checking-out. It took 5 phone calls to have someone bring our bag to the front. 2 from us, 2 from the people who checked us out and one front bell boy at the front. Our transportation had to wait 20 mins for us to get our bag. When our air conditioning broke, i had to call 3 times to get anyone to come by and look at it. You get the idea.

We did end up upgrading the last few days we were there because I was tired of being treated like a 2nd class citizen, and though the service is slightly better we were still (as level guests) turned away from a restaurant that we actually had reservations for (even though they market Level access as being able to walk-in).

Definitely not a relaxing vacation. I've never been happier to come home. Don't waste your time or your money here unless you go for the Royal service, at which point you might as well book a resort that is dedicated to that type of service and doesn't treat everyone else that doesn't upgrade like they don't exist.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

First and foremost the hotel property is lush and extremely tropical with an extremely beautiful beach. However, service can be hit or miss which can be disappointing if you are used to always being catered to while at an all inclusive establishment. So here's the rundown.....

Beach.... Fine white sand with lots of beach chairs available. I never had to get up early to secure a beach chair. The water was a beautiful turquoise. The only drawback was there was a lot of seaweed which the hotel has no control over but they do make sure the beach is clean as there was often someone there picking up after the forgetful tourist.

Pool.... I was there for the beach so I never went but the pool was large and looked inviting. They do need more shower stations available so that if one chose to leave the beach they could wash the sand off and dip in the pool; there was often a lot of sand in the pool.

Hotel.... There are 3 different hotels on this one property, according to how one service personnel described it, however there really wasn't too much difference in how one was treated with the exception of check-in where the "LEVEL" guests had there own private check-in area. However, I believe as a non-Level guest my check-in experience was good and from speaking to the desk clerk, the "Level" seemed more suited for adult couples versus friends on a birthday trip. As for my room, clearly the room had been renovated but the age was also clearly visible but as I did not travel to vacation in my room it was a great large size for two people and highly acceptable. Plus the balcony veranda was a nice little oasis.

Restaurants... If you are American, avoid the American Grill, if you like great Italian food avoid the Italian restaurant, if you have not experienced Dominican food be sure to go to the Dominican restaurant. However, the best specialty restaurant was the Mediterranean restaurant, which lost our reservation but was accommodating enough to give us a later reservation that night, and I am glad they did because it was the best meal from all specialty restaurants. Outside of the specialty restaurants the main buffet had a wide variety of choices so that if you are vegetarian you will not starve to death, likewise, one of the best places to grab a bite was the restaurant on the beach; nothing beats dining al fresco.

Service.... As I mentioned before, the service was hit or miss, there were some servers who would ensure that you have all that you needed, more so at the specialty restaurants, and some that seemed unconcerned more so at the restaurant on the beach. I am used to AIs where the servers are a lot more attentive, even at the non-specialty restaurants and try to accommodate any special requests. As for the title of the review, when my friend and I got to our room there were two bags of potato chips, she ate one and the other was left. After the room was cleaned the next day I noticed a bag missing. My friend told me she did not eat the second bag and as I did not consume it either the question remains... "What happened to the potato chip?" Considering money was never missing during our stay it became a humorous joke between us.

Entertainment.... Not as much organized day time activities as I'm used to but there are some activities like dance lessons on the beach and bingo. However, there is nightly entertainment and even if the dancers aren't necessarily the best they are very entertaining so check it out. After the show there is a dance session in the lobby that most people attend. Went to one club, the one that is at palma real and not many people were there but the music was good and my friend and I entertained ourselves.

Tips..... Carry dollar bills to tip for great service when experienced. Drink the pina colada it's really good. Don't fall for the shopping excursion, it's a HUGE waste of time due to there only being three stores to visit, instead get yourself a taxi and head to the shopping market yourself. Do bring a translator with you, it does make life easier. Don't worry about vendors bothering you as there weren't any on the beach while I was there. Do keep in mind that if you don't go shopping on your own the beach shops will offer the best prices for souvenirs. Do keep in mind the hotel will try to get you to sign up for one of their vacation club presentations by offering free stuff like spa discounts and a t-shirt feel free to go if you want the free stuff but be firm in saying no if you really don't want to purchase their version of a time share.

Overall, beautiful property, decent food and beverages, and a fantastic beach.

Dear SpiceRiceDice;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana.

We would like to thank you for having selecting us as your holiday destination. As a service-oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfill, but also surpass our guests' expectations therefore we are glad to know that the services provided during your vacation meet your expectations.

Our hotel is passionate about customer satisfaction; our goal is to build strong and trusted customer relationships and therefore we are happy to know that you have plenty enjoy our facilities and services during your vacation.

Accept our apologies for any inconveniences that you may have had during your stay.

We will be more than honor to welcome you in another occasion here in “Your home away from home.”

Web Community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!