“Best birthday ever....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Monroe, New York
“Best birthday ever....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We travelled to Melia Caribe Tropicale early in Dec and I'm just reviewing now. What a great way to start the holiday season. Like many other reviewers we were upgraded to Royal Service which was a fantastic bonus to the trip (my 50th birthday). We had booked a standard room and upon arrival were told a) that our room wasn't ready and b) if we would be prepared to stay at a sister resort for the first night, they would happily upgrade us free of charge (fyi this was a value of over $500 so what a nice opportunity to see a secondary resort and be upgraded) I'll say in advance that this may not be suitable for everyone....we're pretty laid back so it was not an issue but for people that don't adjust to changes in plans well, I wouldn't recommend it.

The result for us was fantastic! We spent most of our days at the Royal Service beach being served top shelf drinks (including champagne) The Royal Service restaurant Gabi is fantastic...serving buffet and a la carte so there's something for everyone. We met some fantastic people, both staff and fellow travelers and each morning I was able to use the gym which is small but has everything that you need during a vacation. Loads of walking but it did not present a problem...at 6 months post hip replacement it was great exercise!! I'd highly recommend this property to anyone, couples and families.

Thanks to all!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear ImplusiveImport;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you very much for your review. It is a pleasure to know that you really enjoy your stay with us. It was our goal to make sure that your stay was graded as excellent. We really appreciate your comment.

It is thanks to comments like yours that we can show to the world the face of our Hotel and the services that we offer to our dearest visitors.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical.

Web Community Liaison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,290)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just returned from seven days at Melia with my wife and two adult sons. We started day 1 in the Royal service area near Gabi restaurant but it was too family oriented and too far from the beach so we moved to building 29 in the adult only area called the Level. We LOVED it.

Melia is a huge resort with 54 buildings in three areas. The Level is nearest to the beach as far as I can tell. The resort is so large that they use a train to get around but at the Level, everything was within walking distance including the beach pool spa and the Cuatro restaurant.
The weather was perfect with a steady mild ocean breeze cooling everything off. The beach was deep and beautiful with white sugar sand that was really a treat for someone who lives at the Jersey shore. The restaurant was a delight. Its open to the beach and I will really miss dining so close to the ocean. The wait staff at Cuatro were open and friendly and eager to please. The food, alas, was hit or miss. We quickly learned to use the lavish buffet rather than ordering off the menu and we managed to eat very well, if not gourmet, during our stay.

Every inch of the resort is beautifully landscaped and meticulously maintained. It offers a true Dominican atmosphere in contrast to the Paradiso and other nearby resorts that have all the appeal of Miami Beach.

The staff in the Cuatro were friendly and helpful, especially Carmen Parra who could not have been nicer.

The only complaints I have involve the themed restaurants in the Caribe Lobby- they were pretty bad with service to match. I ordered decaf coffee in the "french" restaurant and the waitress brought me a cup of hot water and a half full jar of instant coffee. I took a picture. Also, there was no entertainment to speak of. We saw a Las Vegas styled show which included a bizarre sight of
Dominican dancers doing irish step dancing.

I would definitely return to Melia. I miss the beach already.

Room Tip: Gt a building as close to the beach as you can and take the train everywhere else.
Dear lary z;

Receive our warmest regards from Punta Cana.

I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Meliá Caribe Tropical Resort for your vacation. We are pleased to read that you describe your stay in our property as wonderful.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Carmen Parra from our The Level; it’s thanks to employees like her that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Melia Caribe Tropical (hereinafter "MCT") with my husband's father and step-mother from Dec. 18- Dec. 23. We are from the US. This was our first trip to Punta Cana, DR. I will break my review up in relevant parts. I give detailed description not to complain (you will know if I am complaining), but to give you full disclosure before you go so that YOU can’t complain that you didn’t know. :-)

Arrival to PC, DR airport: When you arrive at the airport, you have to exit the plane outside and get on a 2 min tram to the airport. No big deal. However, be the first off the plane so that you are on the first group to the airport because the tram didn’t hold all of our fellow passengers. The people who didn’t fit had to stand out in the blazing sun and wait for the tram to return. Once “inside” you quickly realize there is no air conditioning (which was fine by me and already expected). Then, you are quickly rushed through "customs" where you pay $10 USD cash and turn in your entry form that you should have filled out on the plane. (TIP#1: bring a pen with you because you will need to fill out forms on each flight. This will save you time.) From there you go to baggage pick up. They have the same baggage claim belts that US airports have. Be aware though that the airport workers will be very assertive and try to get all of your baggage for you. The guy helping us thought we were with another family and got all of our luggage mixed up. They don’t speak very good English, so it would behoove you to learn some Spanish before you go…and I mean more than, “my name is ___”. (TIP #2: LEARN SPANISH. The locals will respect you more, and you will enjoy your trip even more). Once your luggage is gathered, you are taken to ground transportation. You should know ahead of time who is providing this transportation for you to your resort. We booked through Costco Travel, so everything was already taken care of for us. If you also booked through Costco, know that the locals know Costco as “Hotelbeds.” They are one in the same, but the locals will know right away what you mean if you say “Hotelbeds” instead of “Costco”. (TIP # 3: Take several $1 bills for tipping. You will need to tip the man who gets your luggage as well as your driver who takes you to your resort. Typically, $2-$5 is acceptable.) Your ground transportation will most likely be taking several people to separate resorts, so enjoy the ride, look at the scenery, and don’t get off the bus until they call your resort. Overall, our experience at the airport was fun and easy.

Arrival at MCT/Check-in: Easy. Anthony was wonderful and very helpful. They will try to upgrade you to Royal Service, AKA “The Level”, AKA “Adults Only.” The rate to upgrade is cheaper at the hotel. I recommend not booking your reservation with these upgraded services due to the savings you will get if you just wait until you get to the resort. Of course, if there are no rooms available once you arrive, you are stuck with what you booked. However, if you are flexible enough, wait until arrival if you want to upgrade. We stayed 5 nights and it cost us $350 extra to upgrade once at the resort. It is worth the upgrade because otherwise, you are limited to access to the different areas on the resort (including bars, restaurants, pools, and beach.) Also, you have unlimited room service, golf cart driver, butler, mid-shelf alcohol (as opposed to bottom shelf that is included in the Jr suites)

Room: Beautiful. Clean. Upgraded w/ modern décor. Bed was very comfortable. We stayed in 2512 and our maid did a wonderful job. I wish I knew her name.

Grounds: Absolutely beautiful. You will have to walk a lot, but there is so much to look at while walking, that you are at your destination before you know it. If you don’t like to walk, then wait for the train/trolley that runs every 15-20 mins. If you upgraded your service, then call your butler to come pick you up. Caution: the walkways are VERY slippery when wet.

Beach/Pool: Beautiful. Clean, hard packed white sand. People will approach you and try to sell you tours/excursions. Just say no thank you, and they will leave you alone. If you tell them you already booked, then they will certainly leave you alone. In the Level area, towels are given out freely. I read a review prior to trip that they charged you $25 if you didn’t return your towel- this was NOT true.

Food: Nothing to write home about. It was all just…ok. (TIP # 3: Take immodium/anti-diarrheal medicine with you because you might get an upset stomach with the different ingredients…I did. Also, take headache medicine and nausea medicine). We tried buffets and ala carte restaurants, and thought the buffets were just as good and you didn’t need a reservation. Wilson Perez at the Capri restaurant was awesome!! Great service and real fun to be around.

Drinks: Beach Margaritas were wonderful- best margs I have ever had. Coco Locos are delicious. Banana-mommas are also yummy. My husband loved the Mamajuana- which you will ALL try-I promise. (TIP #4: Take a travel coffee cup with you because otherwise, they will give you small plastic cups for your drinks at the pools/beach. They will happily fill up your own cup though, and this way sand stays out of it, and it stays cooler longer.)

Water: Do not drink water from the tap, including the shower. Use bottled water to brush your teeth, drink, make coffee, etc. All of the water and ice that is served on the resort, however, is filtered and safe to drink. Just don’t drink from the tap in your room. Bottled water is free and provided to you in your room as well as at every bar/restaurant.

Excursions/Tours: (these are extra $- not included) The Canopy Zip Line tour was AMAZING and so much fun. Full disclosure, the zip lines are very high and there is some walking/hiking so wear tennis shoes. You have to take an hour truck ride to the mountain for the tour, but the ride is a bonus because of all the scenery you get to see. You get to see how the locals REALLY live. If you are going to do one tour, DO THIS ONE. We also did a dune-buggie tour, and we weren’t as impressed. It was just…ok. I wouldn’t recommend it. If you do the DB tour though, take a bandana with you. You can get a 2 pack at Walmart. Otherwise, you pay $5 for one at the tour.

Weather: This time of year is DR’s winter. It stayed in the mid-upper 80s with mid-day showers, lasting 5-20 mins. Typical tropical weather. The ocean was too cold to get in past your waist. The pool was also too cold for me. (TIP # 5: Bring & wear sunscreen)

Complaints: If you want to get away from children, this is not the resort for you. Although the Level side of the resort is child-free, the rest of the resort is not. Unless you want to stay up until 10pm to get your night started, there is not much as far as activities to keep you occupied. My husband and I are in our late 20s and like to be engaged. We don’t want to lay on the beach all day every single day. Everyone accepts tips. Refer back to Tip # 2: BRING SEVERAL $1 bills. We took $60 in $1s and ran out on the last day. The food could have been better. They allowed several local merchants to set up a “market” on the grounds one day. I didn’t like this because they were very pushy and annoying. Stay clear because they will rip you off. Guaranteed.

Tipping: These people make minimum wage- which equates to $250 month. They live off of your tips. So if you are pleased with someone’s service (and you will be), PLEASE tip well. If you financially cannot tip, then that is fine. However, we gave a server $10 one day and you would have thought he won the lottery.

Service: Not a single complaint. Some people wrote reviews that they were rude- we did not experience this at all. Perhaps because WE were not rude to them. My in-laws knew NO Spanish. I knew very very little, but my husband could get us by. You are going to THEIR country- YOU should educate yourself and learn some of their language. You can google basic translations. Also, there is a free app for translations that you can put on your phones. Put your phones on airplane mode and use their free Wi-Fi, take pictures, and translate :-) Go with REAL expectations, and you will enjoy yourself.

Overall: Enjoyable trip. Probably would not go back though because we had more fun at Sandals Resort at Montego Bay. The Dominican people and country, however, are were beautiful. This time of year was not crowded at all. It got busier the last day we were there due to people arriving to spend Christmas day at the resort..

WARNINGS: The people in ALL white will try to get to attend a "welcome tour" or something like that. Don't do it. They try to sell you timeshare.

Misc: If you book through Costco- Hotelbeds, then you MUST see the representative in order to schedule your ground transportation to the airport to return home. Make sure you take your trip packet provided to you by Costco. this will have all the information he needs.

Caledonia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had a fantastic family trip to this resort in Punta Cana. We went with two other families, and everything was convenient and enjoyable.

The service was excellent, from room cleaning to restaurant, bar and pool services. Special thanks go to waittresses Glenis Valdez and Alexandra Fermin for their kindness and hospitality! Also the checkout service offered by Alexis Castillo and Rosanna Hernandez was friendly and efficient.

Thanks for everything!

Dear Bill F;

Receive our warmest regards from Punta Cana.

I would like to thank you for your loyalty and preference to our Meliá Caribe Tropical. We are pleased to know that we have met your expectations in your recent vacation in our property.

We truly appreciate your kind comments regarding the services and attention provided by Glenis Valdez, Alexandra Fermin, Alexis Castillo and Rosanna Hernandez of our hotel staff, as a service oriented company we feel proud of their level of services that surpass our client´s expectations.

We cannot wait to welcome you again here in "Your home away from home” and create new unforgettable moments of your family vacations with us.

Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I just returned from another amazing week at this resort. We have been going here for 10 years now at Christmas time always staying in the Royal Service (now recently changed to the "Level". We also visit each year mid-January - mid-March. Every time we return the staff welcomes us home and greets us by our names. We have meet some truly amazing staff who we now consider friends. Everyone from Dulce at the Gabi pool, Alfonso from the Gabi restaurant, to Bartola our server Heidi at Royal Service and so many more to mention, all made our stay exceptional. I enjoyed an amazing massage in their relaxing spa. Mirvian gave me the most relaxing massage ever I didn't want her to stop. We travel a lot every year to various places throughout the world and this resort by far exceeds any where else we have been. The resort offers spectacular restaurant options. The service in all are exceptional and of course the food is out of this world, the best lobster ever in the Gabi restaurant. We have send several of our friends here for family vacations and everyone has come back raving about the resort. I highly recommend it to anyone considering going to Punta Cana. I cannot wait until our next visit there, next Christmas for sure if not sooner. Cannot wait to see our second "family" again, they are all the best!

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to the Level the suites are amazing and also have use of the new private adult on...
Dear JOANNA C;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you for your review, we truly appreciate that you have shared your special vacation experience in our property. I am Helia Estrella, Web community liaison. It is through the valuable observations of our clients that we are able to achieve our main goal, which is being able to create unforgettable memories.

We are very glad to know that Dulce, Alfonso, Bartola, Heidy and Mirian of our staff members went out of their ways to make sure you were taken care of and that any need you may have was pleased and satisfied above your expectations. It is only through them that we can be a successful Company.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a future occasion.

Web community Liaison
Imperial, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My fiance, and I just returned a four day trip to the Melia Caribe and I can not say enough great things about the royal treatment we received. We booked through Apple Vacations which added to this memorable experience.

The hotel randomly selected us for an upgrade to the Royal Service and we truly felt like royalty. The food was excellent, the room was spectacular, the landscaping was incredible, the staff was very accomodating, the nightly shows were a pleasant suprise, the clubs were fun, inviting and seemlessly
drew nearly everyone to the dance floor.

Overall, the employees including staff, entertainers, servers, hosts, waiters and waitresses were very jubilant. Various staff from the restaraunts, bars, hotel seemed to inherently love to sing and dance and their festiveness was contagious.

One night the show dancers joined the guests on the dance floor and revved the crowd up by forming a dance train, encouraging individuals to dance center circle and just shaking their shimmy with the common folk.

We felt completely safe on the expansive grounds of the Melia. The beach was incredibly picturesque and surreal. We varied our experience by sampling the various pools, restaurants and bars. Our favorite dining place was the newly remodeled Level club at the beach. We sat overlooking the pristine beach with the light breeze blowing on us surrounded by a fabulously elegant decor.

Our concierge was Hector Mora. He was very hospitable & accomodating. There was one minor incident in which Hector was late picking us up for a meeting for our departure instructions. We were very worried that we missed getting those instructions. However, Hector was incredibly apologetic and went out of his way to regain our faith in him. He personally accompanied us to our travel representative to insure we received all needed information. Later that afternoon, we returned to our accomodations only to find a fully filled hottub and the petals of colorful
tropical flowers floating on the water and scattered about along with a gracious note from Hector.

This not only eased our minds but really made us feel special. Suprisingly, that was not the end of it. As we departed for our evenning dining destination, we walked out of our hotel only to be greeted by a horse drawn carriage an and driver awaiting us to whisk us off to a romantic &
pleasurable dining experience... Thanks Hector! Thanks Melia!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Trolling Along;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one. We are so happy because you had a fantastic vacation in our hotel.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Hector Mora; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Hope to see you again at your “Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical”.

Portage la Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We spent two weeks at this amazing resort from Dec 11th-Dec 24th, 2013. This was our first hot holiday and will definately be a tough one to top! Manuel Garcia from Club Melia greeted us and ensured everything was perfect our entire stay. So much so that we joined the Melia Club Family! Everything about this resort was perfect!! Our room, the grounds, the beach, pool, activities, the bars and club, live entertainment every night, restaurants, snack bars, but most of all the people and the service was exceptional!!! The guys at Avenue Bar and the Casino have definately found a place in our hearts...Gregorio, Benigno, Dario, Victor, and the crew at the Casino always entertaining! All the waiters and waitresses, cleaning staff, managers, dancers...everyone were amazing!! This is definitely our happy place!! It was hard to leave!! We are already planning our return trip to this resort!!

Dear Dorothy P;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We are very glad to know that Manuel Garcia, Gregorio, Benigno, Dario and Victor of our staff members went out of their ways to make sure you were taken care of and that any need you may have was pleased and satisfied above your expectations. It is only through them that we can be a successful Company.

Web community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!