“Good Time!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Delran, New Jersey
“Good Time!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

After reading many reviews about the Melia we were unsure what to expect. We were a group of 17 ranging in age from 13 to 48. First, the resort is very large as many have said in previous reviews. We mostly walked but occasionally took a train. Most of our rooms were near the beach and pool on the tropical side of the resort(bldg. 6 and 9). I highly recommend getting rooms there because that is where we spent most of our time.
We did not even get offered royal service but had a great time! I am not sure how much better it could be. We booked through liberty travel which has an arrangement with this resort for making reservations for dinner--we were able to make the whole week at one visit with guest services. We also received a free dinner at the Japanese restaurant(usually charge 40 per person). It was good but not $40 good. The all inclusive restaurants we ate at were the Italian, American, International, Mediterranian, Mexican and the grand buffet. The only complaint was about the Mexican--it was just Ok. We thoroughly enjoyed all of the others.
The night life is certainly lacking at least on the tropical side. Very little live music and none of it carribean which we like to listen to while vacationing.
I read several complaints about theft--we got the safe and left our phones, money, passports etc in it while at the pool. We did bring our kindle and ipads to the pool and put them in our beach bags while swimming(always within eyesight) and eating lunch. If you leave something out in the open chances are someone will take it even here at home! It is just common sense.
Rooms were clean and comfortable. Ceiling fans were great!
The bars up around the lobby and restaurants could use some ceiling fans!! It was very hot and there was no breeze that far from the beach.
I did see a complaint on here about a large spider in a room and that it took 50 minutes for someone to come and take care of it--seriously??!! We had one in our room and took care of it ourselves just like we do at home.
Our kids enjoyed the zip line area ($10) they went twice. Played lots of volleyball!
Definitely recommend bringing an insulated cup for drinks at the pool. They kept our drinks cold--got some for $3 at 5 below and just left them there--they got tacky from the chlorine in the pool. We also brought rafts with holes that we used to bring drinks from the swim up bar back over to where we were hanging in the pool. We gave them to people before we left and they were very grateful!
There was a definite language barrier but we were in there country and all the employees were very patient and polite.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Momof2boysnj;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you very much for your review. It is a pleasure to know that you really enjoy your stay with us. It was our goal to make sure that your stay was graded as excellent. We really appreciate your comment.

It is thanks to comments like yours that we can show to the world the face of our Hotel and the services that we offer to our dearest visitors.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical.

Web Community Liaison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,286)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana from July10th - 17th. Wow! We had a great time and the facilities were fantastic. Thanks to Kaamanio Delva, vacation concierge, for jumpstart our stay in the right direction. He was very professional and made us feel like home right away, superb service. Also, Heribert Matos and Jose Francisco from the Market Street buffet for treating us like royalty and their attention to detail. These three gentlemen made our stay very special. Eveyone was great but these three gentlemen made the different. They made us feel like we were long time friends. Thank you guys and the rest of the Melia staff for their hard work and superb service. We definitely go back and will recommend this resort to anyone looking for a fantastic vacation spot and interested in a awesome experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Ramon O,

Thank you for selecting our Meliá Caribe Tropical as your holiday destination. We highly value your kind comments in reference to the beautiful vacation you have had with us.

We are aware that our staff is our most important asset, which is why we feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff and services; we have shared with them your kind comments.

Once again, thank you for the time taken to public your experience in our property, we do hope to have the chance of welcoming you here in “your home away from home”.

Regards,

Old Bridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Melia Caribe Tropical is definitely not what I expected. I was expecting a WOW when I walk in but instead of WOW I said "YAK". The room is outdated. The beddings have stain on it. And it has an unbearable odor. My daughter and I have to cover our noses with the sheet to sleep every night. Also the door was not air tight so when people smoke outside their room, the cigarette smell comes right in thru the gap. I was very disappointed. For the price I paid I was expecting a nicer room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lucy W,

Receive our warmest regards from Meliá Caribe Tropical.

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your valuable observations regarding your recent vacation in our property.

Our housekeeping department is commended by the care that they put into creating a clean, comfortable and pleasant environment for our guests. We regret to know that the setting up of your room did not meet the quality standards that all our guests expect and deserve. We apologize for the inconveniences and discomfort this circumstance may have caused you.

We truly regret to know that our services did not meet your expectations and as a result we felt disappointed during your vacation period.

We would like to have the honour of welcoming you one more time and change the bad memories you may obtained for this recent experience.

Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We visited the Melia Caribe from June 21st to June 28th and our only regret was not booking longer. We were 9 people (4 adults and 5 children ranging in ages from 10 to 18) with three luxurious suites in Royal Service (Building 52). This was our second time at this resort but our first time in Royal Services…it was truly an AMAZING experience. Some background - our group has been to Punta Cana five times and have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts along Bavaro Beach – this by far was the best resort. Yes the resort is big; however, we enjoyed walking around taking in the beautiful scenery and wildlife. From the time we arrived to the time we left - we were treated like Royalty. Our check-in / check-out process was a breeze thanks to Johnny Onorio and others in the VIP Lounge. Before we left for Punta Cana I e-mailed the resort with one request of having two rooms adjoining and that request was graciously fulfilled upon arrival. ALL the employees in Royal Services were awesome and welcoming - including VIP Lounge; GABI pool and restaurant/snack bar; and beach bartender and beach waiters!! A big thanks to the morning and afternoon maids, they made sure our rooms were spotless and responded to all our needs for extra water and towels. All the employees treated us like we were family. A special thanks goes out to our adorable butlers: Pablo, Abel and Juan for making sure we were taken care of through-out the entire week. All three of them made our families feel at home and attended to our every need - especially the kids. Pablo took care of our dinner reservations for the entire week the day we arrived. Every time they saw us around the resort they stopped to make sure we were having a great time and to see if we needed anything. The kids enjoyed their company very much and looked forward to seeing them daily!! One of them was always at our building waiting to take us to dinner each night. We truly enjoyed the private Royal Service beach and drinks service on the beach – all the waiters and bartenders were outstanding, friendly and took great care of us especially Wander Martinez (everybody dance now!), Julio Baez, Lorenzo Zorilla and Julian. There were always plenty of huts and Bali beds available on the beach. We brought our own insulated mugs (which kept our drinks cool); in which, all the bartenders were more than happy to fill them up. We also enjoyed all of our meals at the following a la carte restaurants: Guarapo, Hacienda, American Grill (twice), La Pagoda, Le Gourmet and Ma Maison. For breakfast and lunch we ate at the Market Place Buffet and Gabi....you could always find something delicious and fresh to eat!! We were always greeted like family at the Gabi restaurant especially by Arnold Flerival and Nany Ventura! Raydesther Soto in the VIP lounge took care of us in the evenings. The little gentleman at the GABI snack bar to great care of the kids and made sure they always had their soft serve ice cream – sorry I did not get his name. And lastly Enrique Minaya…he remembered us from last year and took excellent care of us at the American Grill and Market Place – what a pleasure it was to see him again!!
In summary, the grounds at this resort are absolutely beautiful, the beach is breathtaking, the food was excellent and the service was impeccable. This was truly a dream vacation come true! We will miss our Melia family!
Thank you to everyone at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana, especially Mr. Juan Carlos Peralta, Ms. Ana Pena and Ms. Lucy Vidal de Sosa, for helping make this experience wonderful and memorable for our family. We can't wait to return!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lucia N,

Warmest regards from Meliá Caribe Tropical.

We would like to thank you confidence in our Meliá Caribe Tropical for the enjoyment of your recent vacation. It is always a pleasure to welcome our loyal guest and surpass their expectations.

We are delightful to know that you have experience a wonderful stay in our royal service area in which our staff and co-workers went out of their ways to make your recent stay a memorable occasion. We had already shared your impressions with our staff as a recognition for their great work by providing you high level of services. Our hotel is passionate about customer satisfaction; our goal is to build strong and trusted customer relationships and therefore we are happy to know that you have plenty enjoy our facilities during your family vacation.

It will be a real pleasure for us to host you here in “your home away from home” one more time.

Newmarket, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

5th time posting, it keeps getting dposted then deleted.

First a bit about us, I am a business owner ( a restaurant) age early 40's. My wife is early 30's, and a daughter age 10. We have been to several trips to other all inclusive resorts. Cuba, Mayan Riviera, Jamaica.

Prior to leaving for Melia, our travel agent emailed Melia informing them that we were on our honeymoon, and if they could give us any upgrades it would be appreciated.

Upon checkin they acknowledged that we were on our honeymoon, they gave us a different coloured bracelet (silver), the standard colour was green. They said anyone who was honeymooning or was a multiple time visitor got the silver status, we still don't know what the silver status got us as far as perks.

Once we got to our room, that was suppose to be for our honeymoon, it had 2 single beds and a sofa, that may or may not of opened into a bed. We ended up changing rooms after a couple days to a room with a king bed and a pull out sofa bed. Still not ideal, but whatever. They said the single beds are considered queen beds there.

We read a lot of other reviews and a common theme was the size of the resort. Not one review I read indicated that it was too big. In my opinion it was TOO BIG. I am not a public transit type of person. Our room ended up being closer to the pools ands beach but to get to lobby waiting for the train or walking was not my idea of a vacation.

Being a business owner I had to stay in contact with work, so free wifi was something that I use at past resorts. At Melia the free wifi is at the main lobby bars, which requred a 20 minute walk or 20 minutes of waiting for a train and take a tour of the property making all the stops. Once getting to the wifi, it was hit and miss if you could connect to it or not. Once connected it was unbareably slow, I couldn't download emails. I ended up turning my data roaming on twice a day, which is going to end up costing me who knows what.

We booked a few a la carte restaurants. Bookings were done by yourself thru kiosks around the resort, they didn't always work though. The restaurants were not our favorite we ended up enjoying the buffets more. Even though the buffets were the same things day after day after day. At least there was some selection. Even though the selections all tasted the same. too many fish recipes for my liking, the fish smells over powered the buffet.

The weather was fantastic for the first 3 days then it was overcast and rain for the remianing 4 days. Is there someone we can blame for that?

The beach was fabulous and beautiful. The pools were great. although cooled after a couple days of cool weather.

The property is well manicured, always someone maintaining something.

other reviews noted language barrier but they care and try really hard to understand. As stated earlier we've been to other countries. In the past we didn't experience language barriers as we did at Melia. It got comical at times. At a restaurant, ordering dessert. Do you have ice cream? Yes. Vanilla Chocoloto and strahhh berry. ok, my daughter will have chocolotto. I'll have strawberry. He didn't understand what I was ordering for myself. I repeated it 3x, trying to say it how he said it. I eventually got the strawberry.

We don't believe in tipping to get good service, once we get it we tip accordingly, which was always received well, appreciatively.

We also had money stolen from our beach bag. We believe it was taken from our room when we requested an extra blanket delivered to our room. We requested it when we were at the lobby (which may or may not be on the other side of the island?) to talk to someone in person so we weren't in the room when the blanket was delivered.

The phone system is terrible, calling to the lobby or to the information desk or to my travel representative desk, calls go unanswered. Some times they answer only to stop it from ringing, in the process hanging up on you.

I brought my golf clubs and took advantage of the golf included. I couldn't get on the kiosk to book a tee time, I ended up just going without a tee time. I got a ride from a golf cart at our resort right to tee block 1 and the course golf carts. Once there and they realized I didn't have a tee time, they set me with a cash deal that I'm fairly certain went straight in to his pocket. The course was in decent shape and not that difficult. All though grounds keepers will scoop your ball, a couple times it happened I hit a shot not that badly or into trouble but near a grounds keeper working. I couldn't find my ball. I suppose a used golf ball has some value for them.

We try to go to the Carribean once a year and we like to switch up where we go anyway. Having said that I will never be back to this resort, perhaps never to Dominican either, the language issue was not to our liking. For value this resort is over priced, its not a case of you get what you pay for. Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes. We made the best of our trip. But certainly several things could of been better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lucy W,

Receive our warmest regards from Meliá Caribe Tropical.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I got married at Melia on June 28th with 67 of our closest family and friends there to witness our event. I had been in touch with the resort's wedding coordinator for about a year. They were pretty helpful over email and even more helpful on site. I highly recommend having a destination wedding at Melia!!! (There is a Facebook group if you are interested in seeing more details about weddings there).
In addition to the wedding being wonderful, the resort was amazing! It was very large, but it was easy to walk or take the tram from place to place. The food was only ok, but the beaches and pool were extremely clean and beautiful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. And the pool bar is a huge plus in the heat!
The spa services were also great. I had my nails, hair, and make up done by Wendy and Mirian at the spa. They were both very sweet and did a wonderful job! My nails didn't hold for more than 48 hours, though. Not sure if it was the product or the humidity.
Overall, the resort was everything that I had heard all inclusives in the Caribbean are! All of our wedding guests said that they would go back!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Romance Suite. Definitely worth the double shower and jacuzzi! These types of roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Warmest regards from Punta Cana.

First of all we would like to express you our gratitude for having selecting us as your destination for the celebration of your wedding. We also thank you for taking the time to public your impressions, it is only through our guest comments that we are able to continue in the pursuit of excellence.

We would like to express our thankfulness for having under consideration our property to celebrate your wedding day although at the same time, we were glad to read that you have enjoying such a memorable occasion in our property.

We are pleased to know that you have experience an awesome vacation in our property thanks to the services and attention provided by our co workers. We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff and services; it is thanks to our Employees that we are able to accomplish our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

We sincerely hope to have you here to celebrate your anniversary at the same place your wedding took place .

Kind regards,

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at the Melia Caribe from Jul 15-22 2 Adults and 2 Children ages 4 and 11. We decided to upgrade to the Royal Service upon checking due to the reviews. This hotel is huge and depending where your room is located it can make or brake your vacation, we were in building 41 close to the lobby and restaurants. With the upgrade they tell you that you get concierge service, this is not true, you get someone assign to you, but we did not see him all week. Rooms are nice but we would have expected them without the extra $$$. The Gabi restaurant was nice, good service most of the time. The RS pool is beautiful but they should have waiters walking around to get you drinks and also cleaning the cups around the pool. We also ate at the Capri, Mexican, American Grill and market place, food is good in this resort, I really don't know what people complaint about. We talked to different people at the pool and it seem like this resort will give you a crappy room just like in Motel6 in the US, so you would go back and complaint and then that's when they give you the price for an upgrade, most people do because they refuse to stay in a dirty, old with spider webs room. This upgrate will cost you an average of $60 per person per night and half off for children. I feel that if you already paid $6,000 for 4 ppl to stay at this resort, we shouldn't have to pay and additiona $1,000 to have a nicer room. We had a nice time, we don't let anything ruin our vacations regardless, but I don't think I would be back. Next time I will go to Paradisus next door. Pros: Beach, Food -Cons: Timeshare presentation, Not enough service in pools, slow service at restaurants, having to ask for things more than once, encounter a few lazy employees. Not worth the price.

Room Tip: Stay near the lobby so you don't have to wait for the train 20min
Dear Coruna1,

We would like to thank you for having shared with us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our hotel is passionate about customer satisfaction; our goal is to build strong customer relationships as well as providing spectacular experiences that create long lasting memories to our visitors.

We deeply regret to know that some of our services did not meet your expectations. Regularly our staff is praised for their professionalism and quality of services specially in our royal service area which is why your perception has really concerned us.

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to posted your feedback and valuable recommendations towards the improvement of our services. It is only through our client´s comments that we are able to identify the areas where we need to improve and provide the necessary measures as to avoid them from reoccurring.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may experience and sincerely hope that these do not deprive us of having the pleasure of welcoming you again in order to be able to change the bad feelings this stay may have left you.

Regards,

Web Community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!