“It was paradise!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“It was paradise!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

So amazing. My kids and I had the most incredible time. The food was delicious. Everyone was so helpful and made the experience incredible. We will definitely be back!! The thai restaurant was our absolute favorite.

It was like nothing that I have experienced before. The water is a brilliant blue and the beach is lined with gorgeous palm trees. The breeze is amazing.....I did not want to come home. There was so much to do for the kids and for the adults. The swim up bar was great and the pool is massive with a hot tub in the center. They had a zipline/rock climbing course. The bars at night were so live and inviting. There were outside sofas and other amazing furniture to hang out on while partaking in a beverage. My children and I loved these covered areas in the lobby with cushions and pillows. we hung out there almost every night. The kids played on the ipad and I did a lot of people watching. It was by far the closest thing to paradise that I have ever experienced. My children practiced their spanish and my 10 year old said that was the favorite thing about the trip.

Room Tip: Building 11 was so centrally located....close to the beach, the pool and the buffet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear mbsmokey89;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one, is a pleasure to us know that you have had a really amazing time.

Please, contact us in advance to the following e-mail address when returning to our resort: calidad.melia.tropical@meliacaribetropical.com.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical.

Web Community Liaison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,243)
  • Finnish first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

1st impression last !
Arrivals well prepared, you feel welcomed by the "bell boy service". & el senior Manuel Familia ...
Reception is impeccable each time. Warm and cozy
Note: You depend on the Bell boys to get to your villa or room...even after 5 visits. it's a 60 Block stacked townhome villa, HUGE GARDENS

It's lush, lively, where the wild life has found rich tropical gardens manicure for the simple pleasure of the guests. it's a 3min train ride or 15 mins walk to the beach/Resturants / Kids Club / Pool Bars, and the beautiful beach...
Kids Club MVP Staff; All reliable, really awesome Antonio speaks a few languages well, Christian, las 2 Perlas, Maery ( l'assistante de Belkiss ) Thank you to Belkiss & All Staffs from the Kids Club You are fabulous !! for 10-$ our 6 years old got to ZipLine, Wall Climbing, Trapezes, ...Excellent programs daily from Elgenio doing some kind'a stretch to the Flingstone mascotts visiting the kids stage a few times a week ! Fabulous.

Food and Beverage: Definately 4 Stars buffet. For it's Grills - Made to order beef, pork, chicken, fish, + Create your pasta bar in most restaurant. We upgrade to the Royal Service on Site which was truly reasonnable. We found ourselves quite impress with the service at the Gaby Pool Bar Restaurant * the one and only one on the Royal Service side of the resort. Grilled Salmon for lunch or nice Steak, Seafood at Dinner; Surf and turf included * langosta* lobster tails no "claws".
MIGUEL AP...O,,,sorry, the manager was very eager to make sure we felt absolutely at home. Juan del carme, Ludwig thank you !

So happy we did take the 3 hours to organize the Move from the Tropical to the Royal Service,...i took the decision to aim for a renovated suite,...worth the investment ! I did enjoy the Club Tour but DO CHOSE NOT to finance the "melia's renovations" it's time share however my agency always finds the best packages with flights and transfers,...

Many rooms have yet to undergo the much needed touch up from the design to the outdate wall paint and retired lamps ...we say oh well due to the amazing price, You Get what you pay for ! come on ...take some responsabilities here. So see what about $ 600 us will get you for the last 5 nights,...if a bed on the beach with service from LEONARDO & ELVIS,...makes the difference...just do it ! Upgrade. Directly at the front desk main CARIBE reception. Gracia LIZBETH ,...and CAROLINA la peruviana...Marco de RCI - Tremendo trabajo. Thank you Senior PABLO (supervisor de los maleteros ? ) para me :la recurso del resort , y Padilla el grand chef - les quiero mucho Bravo !
See you soon !

Room Tip: Villas Royal Service 36 35 34 quite close to the beach and train terminal for the 5 mins ride( or 14...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Melanie P;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Manuel Familia, Antonio, Cristhian, Perla Suero, Perla, Merary. Belkis, Miguel Obispo, Juan del Carmen and Ludwing; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Roslyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our 6th trip to DR and by far the worst! The food was horrible! Management made no effort to create a beautiful, appetizing buffet. Instead, they threw out the same poor selection everyday, in every restaurant, with no decor whatsoever. They should look at the buffets offered by some of their neighboring hotels (some for far less money) and see the delicious array of foods offered. I had to fill up on deserts (which were the same everyday). The wine served was literally undrinkable.
Check-in took some time. We had requested a room in the middle section away from the road, and even tipped the desk clerk $20 for a good room. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade to their Royal Service for a few hundred dollars. We declined since we had paid a lot for the trip. After much chaos, we were taken to our room which was old, smelly and facing the road with the noisy train going by. I returned to the front desk and spoke with the manager, telling him the room was unacceptable and did not look anything like the pictures posted online. Again, we were asked if we wanted to pay for an upgrade, and again we declined. No apologies from the manager but we were given a decent room.
Very poor service throughout the hotel. The wait staff was disinterested. The maid forgot about us until we tracked her down at 5 pm to make up the room and it was never cleaned properly. No one setting up chairs on the beach. No wait staff on the beach. No one cleaning the seaweed. No wait staff at the show. It was even hard to get a bellman to take our luggage.
The Melia management show care less about collecting a $2 fee per day to use the safe in the room and raise the quality of their services. We could not wait to leave this place!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BettyFuchs;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Melia Caribe Tropical for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent visit; I am Helia Estrella, Web community liaison. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest's opinion. Please accept our apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that this may have caused.

In relation with the food offered at our restaurants we are rather surprised with you comments, I must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the variety and quality of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires. Nevertheless, we are sorry that our food variety did not meet your expectations and your comments will be taken into consideration.

With reference to the maintenance in your first room, please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you may have encountered, we appreciate your feedback.

I am really concerned to know the inconvenience that you had during your vacation in the hotel. Please accept our apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that this may have caused. Thank you so much for bringing these comments to our attention so that we can continually improve our service. If you wish to contact us on a private matter you may reach us at calidad.melia.tropical@meliacaribetropical.com.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We visited Melia Caribe November 16-21 for my 30th b-day and my nephews 21st b-day. When we arrived to the check in counter to check in we knew right from the jump there where going to be issues. To upgrade to Royal service was a joke on the amount of money they wanted so we asked about upgrading to the Romance Suite and the guy who was checking me and my husband in told us $50 a night and told my nephew $40 a night so that right there turned me off so we just kept our junior suite. The junior suite was a big room but we had visitors, a cockroach and a lizard and the ac wasn't working to we had to call the front desk to have them send someone to fix it and they didn't seem to know what they where doing but eventually it started to cool off in there. Also they will try to get you with the time share thing and they almost had us but we didn't sit through the 90 min presentation and they will follow you around if you aren't stern with them by letting them know your aren't interested. We only did one excursion and boy was it an adventure, I really felt like we were not going to make it back home, to the United States I felt like we where in that move Hostel. The drivers couldn't speak english at all and one of them had a shot gun laying in the front seat. Once we got to the excursion it was fun but getting there was so scary and nerve recking. Please don't do excursions with AM Boogies so unprofessional. The beach was nice but had alot of seaweed and people begging you to come to there shops to buy stuff. The best part of the trip for everybody was the FUN PUB which was the club\disco inside the resort, that is where it all went down. There where alot of memories made on this trip but they need to work on there customer service skills. If I ever go back to the Dominican Republic I will surely try a new resort. FYI: When it comes to money and they tell you they don't speak English, they are lying they understand you!!!

Room Tip: Walk with plenty of money to upgrade to Royal service, but to me its not worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rudeboi131;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana;

Thanks for your commentaries; I am Helia Estrella, Web community liaison. Beforehand I want to apologise for the incommodities you had during your vacations in Melia Caribe Tropical. For us it is great value to receive our guest’s observations for it helps us maintain and improve the quality service that we provide on current and future stays.

Concerning to the cockroach situation in your first room, we fumigate the premises on regular basis; however, due to the hotel’s structure, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration the Tropical Climate of the country, the presence of such species may not be avoidable at all times, please accepto our apologise for this situation.

Concerning the air conditioning, the Maintenance and Melia Conecta (3000) departments follow established procedures and the rooms are subject to a very strict daily supervision. However, we will look daily for ways to improve this service. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you may have encountered.

We want to apologise for any inconveniences that you had during your vacation with the representant of the Club Melia, I can not tell you how deeply we regret that this bad moment would has tarnished their holiday.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you get through. Thank you so much for bringing these things to our attention so that we can continually improve our service. Please contact us on a private matter you may reach us at calidad.melia.tropical@meliacaribetropical.com.

Auburn, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Gorgeous hotel!
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful in every aspect. The grounds are immaculate, clean and beautiful!
The food is average to better than average depending on the restaurant you choose.
Very relaxing but lots of activities available if interested.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear lmb0729;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one, is a pleasure to us knows that you have had a really amazing time.

Woodridge, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family stayed at the Melia Tropical last Thanksgiving. We were suppose to stay a week, but left after three days and moved instead to Dreams (best decision of the trip).

We arrived late in the afternoon and were given two rooms. Both of which were dark, dingy and musty smelling. After several hours of discussion with the resort staff and viewing other options we were finally allowed to move rooms. Needless to say it took so long we almost missed dinner at the buffet (too bad we didn't) - Day one wasted.

This is a very large resort and walking is difficult for the elderly or very young (both were part of our party). The beach due to the time of year was filled with seaweed - rotting seaweed that smelled terribly. I understand that it is difficult to keep the beach spotless at this time of the year, but Melia didn't even make and effort. Every other resort on either side of the Melia cleaned the beach throughout the day. Needless to say we spent little time on the sand or in the surf.

The food was poor at best - both my wife and I lost weight in the three days we were at the resort. A telling testament to an all-inclusive. The frozen drinks weren't frozen - the bartenders didn't care to use much ice. And the staff in general were not friendly, you could almost say rude to Americans. It was obvious the difference in attention paid to the other guests. There were several times when I was at the front desk waiting to talk to someone and was ignored while others who came after me were helped.

You might say that it was a one off situation or that I am a being unrealistic in our expectations, but during the three days we spent at the resort we spoke with numerous other American families who all shared our feelings and experience. Everyone agreed that they couldn't wait to leave. Unlike the rest, we didn't wait until our originally scheduled departure to do so.......

Room Tip: Avoid staying here in the first place
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear spk1;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana;

As a service-oriented company, we highly appreciate our guests' opinion and therefore we recognize the value of taking your time to let us know about your experience. Our commitment is to achieve our guests’ total satisfaction, therefore we feel very regretful that some of our services did not meet your expectations. We have taken a good note of your observations and discussed it with our management team in order to take the appropriate measures wherever possible.

In relation with the food offered at our hotel we are rather surprised with you comments, I must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the variety and quality of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires. Nevertheless, we are sorry that our food variety did not meet your expectations and your comments will be taken into consideration.

We sincerely apologize for the impression you may have received due to the attitude of the some of our staff in the reception, it’s an uncommon situation. Even though I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality of our services. Please be sure we will share this comment with de department in charge.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I work as a flight attendant for an international airline and have seen many good hotels around the world. Here I've spent one week with my brother and parents.

Good:
-Beach (they clean it of seaweed every morning)
-A lot of restaurants to choose from for meat lovers (but they're not all open every day)
-Animation team: especially rafael mendez was very professional and friendly. He taught a good yoga class every morning

Bad:
-Already at check-in, I got the impression they want to make money out of everything they can. And I wasn't asked to fill ou the Meliá Hotels membership form but TOLD to do so. I'm not stupid so I refused. Then the guy tried to sell us the royal service upgrade, first for $80 per room per night and when we weren't interested, he lowered the price to $60 (when in all official hotel documents it costs $50!!). How dubious is that?!? Then, they want money for the safe and for two of the a-la-carte restaurants and for some alcoholic beverages includig good wine. Also, if you lose your beach towel you'll pay $25, and if you want to make a reservation at an a-la-carte place more than 1 day in advance you pay $5. So it's almost impossible not to spend extra money here. We had to use the safe for our valuables (and I guess everyone has their passports with them and wants them locked away)
-on the beach, a lot of chairs were broken!! I often had to exchange mine for another one
-some of the female staff treated me very arrogantly. I don't understand because I always smile at people. I'm a friendly, young, slender female with beautiful long blonde hair. Maybe they were jealous. Especially the reception lady in front of the Italian resaurant La Gondola and the lady at the water sports center were very rude to me, never welcomed me and never said thank you and please, if anything. A smile from them would have been asked too much.
-I always had the same food to eat from the hot dished: rice, beans an carrots. And pasta. I'm more of a healthy eater so I didn't like pizza and fries. And the broccoli, pepper and cauliflower were much too hard to eat.

This was the 4th hotel I've seen in Punta Cana and I probably won't be back

• Stayed November 2012
Dear LosAngeles2009;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Rafael Mendez; it’s thanks to employees like him that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Web Community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!