“Royal Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Southbridge, Massachusetts
“Royal Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and i stay at the royal service section we had a master suite very nice and clean the cleaning ladies did and awesome job in our room we always had clean room and clean linen and towels all the time. At night they folded our sheets and put chocolate candies on top very nice and sweet. The sorrunding very well kept and clean. We eat at the restaurant american grill we did not like the food, also we eat at the Italian we did not like it either my husband and i had different kind of foods on both of those restaurant but we didn't like it. We liked the Guarapo that was good the service very good. we eat the rest of our stay at the Gabi very good food the service was excellent specialy the guys Roberto Mejia, Edward Arias they went our of there way the other guys were also very nice people and nice service. I also need to mention the guys at the Gabi bar lounge Jose, Luis, Christian, and all the others they are very nice and friendly good job guys. Also Mr. Augustin at the lobby grill. Now i have to say the music at the gabi lounge has to go i was not happy neither my husband you guys need to change that also no tv at the gabi lounge bar and those stool have to go also you can't even sit on those for 3 minutes they are as hard as a rock and in top of that your feet just hang no place to put your feet on. I have to mention that we went alot to the other side of the melia we loved the music they had on this side and they had all the shows and attraction on that side.

Room Tip: we stay at vip section is the best way to go.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,501)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sharpsburg, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Overall, very good experience. The resort is beautiful and well maintained and the beach was great. We chose the Royal Service and think that it is well worth the extra dollars. We had a one bedroom suite in villa #50. It is located across from the Royal Service pool and Gabi Restaurant. It is not real close to the beach but that was never a problem because they provide golf cart shuttle to and from the beach. The service was excellent! Our butler, Vincente de Jesus went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed & Willie and the other bartenders at the Royal Service beach always made sure we had a wonderful passion colada! The food was fair. Some of the restaurants were better than others. It just depends on what you like. We were able to get a reservation at the restaurants that we wanted, but the resort wasn't real crowded at the time we were there (May 7-12). The only negatives would be that I didn't feel comfortable brushing my teeth with the tap water, but they always provided plenty of bottled water. We did have a problem with mosquitos in our room at night. I guess thats because of going in and out and the fact that housekeeping has to leave the door open while they clean the room. Also, the air conditioner didn't seem to work real well, but the room had 2 ceiling fans that helped. Overall, nice relaxing vacation!

Room Tip: Probably any room on the Royal Service side would be o.k.. I wouldn't pay extra for something b...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We just returned last night from a week at Melia Caribe Tropical (June 2-9) and had, as my husband said frequently, "the best time of our lives". The service was most definitely 5 stars PLUS. We experienced top notch service everywhere we went. The restaurants served authentic ethnic food and had authentic ethnic décor. I have dietary issues and they were able to accommodate me 100% of the time. We joined Club Melia in 2011 and received the service they promised. The Gabi pool and area were clean. The Royal Service private beach was clean and not scattered with cigarette butts like we experienced in 2011 at the Occidental Flamenco. The washrooms all over the property were spotless. The lobby was huge and beautiful. All staff greeted us with a smile and usually "buenas dias", "buenas tardes" or "buenos noches" (depending on the time of day) followed by "how are you" in Spanish. Our room was big and beautiful and quiet. The night housekeeping staff always turned down our sheets and left chocolates. Although the housekeeping staff didn't speak English, they tried to help any way they could. Buying a Club Melia membership was worth it. Our only issue was that there were far too many infants and toddlers in the Gabi pool and every restaurant who screamed and cried constantly and the parents who did nothing to stop it. Despite the brats, we'll be back, probably to Paradisus, in 2014 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
weeart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here from June 1-8, we both really needed a vacation and wanted to go somewhere we had never been. We chose this resort based on popularity and ratings from this site. First, the bad... air travel has decayed to the point where you are stressed out before you even get there. For us, we took a red eye out of LAX on Delta, packed full, no way to relax or even sleep. By daybreak we had landed in Atlanta to transfer to our direct flight, almost 4 hours into Punta Cana. The flight was again packed. Checking in thru customs was hot, a cattle drive in this open air terminal but we got to enjoy some local musicians and once we got checked thru we found our kiosk and trekked across the parking lot to our private shuttle. The ride in was comfortable in an air conditioned van, it took about half an hour and my husband chatted away in Spanish to the driver. Unfortunately we left our passports behing as he drove away so check in was delayed. The check in clerk was kind and no amount of schmoozing him would hurry the process, I just wanted something to drink, a shower and to get horizontal for a quick nap.

I knew we wanted the Royal Service based on reviews, now the haggling began. My husband explained it was our 10th anniversary, no go. Finally we agreed to updrade for an additional 500.00 bucks for the week. Once the deal was sealed and credit cards were given, BOOM! We were handed frosty lemon flavored drinks and escorted beyond the velvet rope into the VIP lobby.

It's like a door to paradise was opened. A cool soothing reception room with lovely young ladies who efficiently processed us, gave us kukui nit bracelets and voila, out concierge Eddie appeared with a smile. Quickly assessing the situation, he could see my dilema. Kind, gentle, soothing, he immediately took our bags, loaded them onto a waiting golf cart and escorted us down the ramp. Golf cart time! I was literally in a daze as we sat in the back and he explained to us the layout of the land as we headed past villas, pink flamingoes and got us to our villa, number 51. We were on the first floor. I knew this was a 3 story bungalo that had no elevator to was happy and confident that Eddie had gotten us a perfect room for us, and I was right.

He took our bags, opened the door to our suite and all my tension and stress just dropped away. It was cool, soothing and comforting. I ran throughout the suite testing out the huge king size bed with cool, soft pillows, the flat panel TV, the wet bar with a fully stocked fridge, helped myself right away to a frosty beer and enjoyed the gorgeous tropical view from my patio. As Eddie talked us thru the safety deposit control, how to regulate the ceiling fans, gave us the extension for VIP service etc. The huge shower and bed beckoned me. Eddie left with a smile and I spent the next few hours on snooze mode. The room was so comfortable, I never felt so pampaered. After a nap and a shower we dressed and walked across the sidewalk to the Gabi restaurant. This is an open air environment which can be somewhat stuffy and humid but drink lots of cold bottled water provided and relax. Your servers are attentive and happy to help. I ordered the shrimp salad and lobster as my main course. Never felt rushed to eat and move on. The food was remarkable, healthy and light. The drinks were refreshing and never ending. I never felt they were watered down as some reviewers say. Everything hit the spot and the pool beckoned, interesting that there is no swimming after 7 PM but it was lovely to look at.

Had a wonderful nights sleep thanks to melatonin and ativan. The next morning we made a wonderful pot of coffee at our wet bar with the bottled water and their unique regional coffee. I took in the lush tropical scene from my balcony, time had no meaning. Getting my second wind I suggested that we walk across the sidewalk and go swimming. It was about 8:30. I rarely swim here in California but found a perfect bikini, light weight solid color and flip flops. The pool water was cool and refreshing. We paddled around for about an hour, sharing stories from some frequent visitors from New York who also had Eddie as their butler. Basically, if you are able, request this man, if you need something he will get it for you. His goal is to share his love and passion for the resort and his homeland. What an amazing fellow. The bar opened at 10 and by then we had moved to a thatch covered bali bed with fulffy huge towels provided by the pool staff.

Our pool server was attentive and never let us dehydrate, the fruit drinks were very refreshing and delicious. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet walking a few steps back to the Gabi. Omelettes anyway you want them, fresh fruit, oatmeal, bacon and sausage, pastries, it was a buffet from heaven. Everyone we met was so friendly and polite. The ambience was top shelp with linen napkins, bottled water, the staff was attentive and helpfull. So we spent our initiation just chilling and meeting our neighbors. I had never been to a resort so didn't know what to expect. Now I am completely spoiled. We had golf carts available non stop at any time to shuttle us to the pool or lobby, if not we could call and get picked up. Never an inconvenience.
Lots of guests brought small children and babies, the kids were so adorable and well behaved, on the private beach the chairs were in abundance, comfortable and the thatched huts always available.

The beach bar staff played music and the bar was stocked with anything you desired, including snacks, towels, bottled water. The sand is so fine. like powder, the water clear and refreshing. They have free standing showers everywhere so your are constantly wet, I will include advise for the ladies.

We made our dinner reservations a day in advance, this seemed to be the low season and none of the specialty restaurants was crowded. I never had a dissappointing meal. The food here is healthy, lot's of root vegetables like beets, carrots, yams, potatoes and local fish grilled to perfection. The beef was flavorful and lean, they also had pork, lamb and goat as well as chicken.

The dress code suggested wasn't really enforced, as guests were all dressed in nice shorts, beach attire etc. The private beach I saw a lot of women went topless, it was also very kid friendly and seemed very natural. No gawkers, people were cool and friendly.

We did not partake of any excursions but did make friends and travel one day towards Romana with a local couple to see how life truly is in that region. We also went to the shopping mall one day just to check it out, yes the prices are high and no negotiating. You can buy souveniers and trinkets at the hutches on the beach and find unique items for a fair price. So let me braek it down...

Packing, I brought 1 bikini, whic I wore all the time, it was so light weight and comfortable but wish I had a back up. Sunscreen, I had a few travel tubes of 30 SPF, suggest you bring a waterproof spray of at least 45. Spray it on and forget about it, enjoy the sun, the water. Bring it with you, its much cheaper and you have a better selection. Flip flops, wish I had brought a pair, I brought sandals, some wedges, not the best choice for walking. Bug spray, we figured we could pick some up at the resort, third day in we were all bit up, never saw them coming, never felt them bite, have no idea where they came from but bring something for your room and balcony and spray yourself often when your out and about.

Dress code, I saw everthing on the spectrum here, wish I had packed a hat. At night I wore tshirt long dresses, a few fun gowns by FreePeople, minimal jewelry and since I had just chopped my hair short that saved time with styling, just shampoo, light condition, some styling creme and your good to go. I brought 3 sets of ray ban sunglasses, the sun is constant and you need to protect your eyes.

I took melatonin every night before bed and it helped me stay on my sleep cycle. Never had a hang over, never got sick from the food or water, was relaxed and refreshed the entire time. My husband and I were able to reconnect and enjoy each other and the area. We tipped everyone and expressed our appreciation. I have read a lot of complaints from people on this thread but did not meet anyone at this resort who had a problem, in fact almost everyone was a frequent visitor, never had a problem with the time share nazis, never saw them. I would go back again, I would upgrade to Royal Service, and I would bring a couple of friends along this time to enjoy this wonderful resort. I will post more but wanted to share my experience at the resort.

Room Tip: First floor, bring room freshener and bug spray from home. ROYAL SERVICE!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed there from May 5th to June 1st. Very nice resort. But the resort was a huge. Had to take a train to get back to the restaurants were you had to make reservations.No beach bar. Not to much shopping in town like there is in Mexico. Food was ok. We ate at the steak and lobster one night which was worth the money we paid even though we went all inclusive. We did find us a favorite bartender George Luis Ramon. Always kept us laughing and the drinks coming. I would suggest taking an excursion ans see the real side of Punta Cana. It showed me that I was truly blessed of what we have. Very beautiful resort.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 2616 was close to pool,beach an 1 restaurant
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropical 9 times, 5 times at Royal Service. Obviously we love it there. Great resort, all the amenities could could ask for, pools, the never ending food, the beautiful grounds, the nightly entertainment, the beach, the casino, the bars etc etc. But when someone asks us what we like the best about this resort we allways give the same answer, it's the PEOPLE who work there.

Royal Service has the best. From Pablo, Juan and Eddie who supervise your stay and who are allways looking out for you, to the waiters at Gabi's who are extremely accommodating and friendly, even our maid Yolanda who allways seem to take the extra step to ensure our comfort. And last but not least, Augustine who maintains the great snack shack next to the Royal Service pool.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Service. Well worth the incremental cost. It's like a resort inside a resort
Norfolk, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My family and I traveled to the Hotel Melia Caribe on May 5th through May 12th and we had a wonderful time. My husband and I brought our nine month old baby. My parents, brother and his girlfriend were also on the trip and we all stayed in separate rooms in the royal service area. The rooms were great, and very clean. We stayed on the first floor because we had the baby and figured it would be easier with her stroller to be on the first floor. However, the fist night was horrible. We must have been near the area where the nightly shows were and the music was extremely loud, you could feel the bass shaking the room. The baby didn't end up waking up (not sure how that was possible) but I could not sleep. Around midnight I had to call the front desk and arrange for a room change because these shows go on every night and I didn't want to be awake like that every night.
The next day were moved to a second floor room in the back of another building and we couldn't hear the music at all that night and our vacation was perfect from there. The hotel staff was extremely nice about moving our room and helped us with our luggage. As far as having a baby with a stroller, the second floor wasn't bad as long as you don't mind carrying the stroller up a flight of stairs. It was worth changing rooms to have a restful night of sleep.
My brother and his girlfriend ended up getting engaged on the trip on the beach. Our butlers Pablo and Able made this event extra special. They arranged for my brother and his girlfriend to be picked up by horse and buggy, it was very sweet. They had a wonderful time. My parents also had an anniversary coming up so Pablo went into their room and decorated it with a banner an balloons. Pablo and Able also arranged for my parents to be picked up in horse and buggy for their dinner as well. It was extremely sweet. Pablo and Able couldn't have done a better job making our trip wonderful.
We had a wonderful relaxing vacation the Melia and the staff was excellent. We were very lucky to have Pablo and Able as our butlers. Evelyn at the pool was also excellent. She would always stop over while we were at the pool and say hello to the baby (the baby LOVED Evelyn) and brought us drinks. We had an amazing time and I would love to go back!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that is not near where the shows are held, it is extremely loud.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!