“Great Family Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Bavaro
Toronto, Canada
“Great Family Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews before arriving but my concerns were unfounded.

I went with two friends, my 9 month old daughter and my friend's 3 year old son. We chose this resort because it was supposed to be family friendly and it most definitely was. Most of the staff love children and went out of their way to make our children laugh and smile. They accommodated us at every meal and we never felt awkward when the children were cranky and not on their best behaviour. That being said, if you are looking for a really romantic place or a couples party place, I don't think this would be the best resort for you. However, there are wonderful lounge areas all around the lobby and restaurant areas where you can sit and have a drink and chat.

The grounds of this resort are lush and beautiful and meticulously maintained. There are a huge variety of trees and plants and it was rare to see a fallen leaf on the ground. Near the main lobby there are flamingos, storks, peacocks, ducks, birds and turtles and multiple pools and gardens. The swimming pool areas are beautiful and very large. There are special shallow areas for children and that enabled me to seat my daughter in water that came up to her waist (maybe 6 inches deep) and play with her and her toys. This section curved around and gradually got deeper until it joined the main area of the pool. There were also two small children's pools and many families were taking advantage of these areas with their small children.

I found the reservation system for the specialty restaurants very simple to use. We booked most of them on the computer terminals in the main lobby and used the lobby phone to change one of our reservations to an earlier time that was not available on the terminal. No waiting, no hassles. The food was quite good and was generally served in a timely matter. They were very wise to serve the children's meals first (and very quickly) so the parents could help their child eat before their own dinner arrived. Crayons and colouring pages were provided at every meal to give the children something to do.

We stayed in building 29 and it was quite near the pool area, maybe a 2 minute walk. Although the resort was large I did not find it too big. Our room felt very central and was maybe a 6 minute walk to the lobby, and a 5 minute walk to the beach, a bit longer if you're casually strolling. My times are with a stroller and baby so it's really not that bad. However if you do have mobility issues the distances would be difficult to traverse. My mother has a walker and I definitely could never bring her to this resort, she wouldn't even be able to get on the trains - the step up would be too much for her. The trains run one way around the resort and can take 2-3 times as long as walking however they're quite nice and the drivers drive very safely (and the kids love them!). I did not find the size of the resort to be a negative in any way. In fact it made the resort seem very spacious and not crowded at all, despite the amount of people there over March break.

The beach was beautiful and the water was very nice to swim in but I didn't spend much time there because of my daughter. I saw security guards all over the place and they were very friendly and helpful.

We found a few ants and 1 cockroach in our room by the patio door but I thought that was acceptable considering the climate and that I probably find more spiders and fruit flies in my own home. Otherwise the room was clean and a good size (and we had a basic room). The maid service was good except for 1 day when the maid didn't do a very good job. I think we may have been her last room and she was behind schedule. One big mishap was that the maid left our patio door unlocked and our front door was left slightly ajar - not so much as to be obvious from a distance but noticeable from up close. We forgot to mention this to the hotel. I'm always cautious and lock everything of value in the safe anyway so there wouldn't have been much to steal besides clothes and toiletries. The only other negative would be that the shower didn't drain well; the shower floor wasn't graded properly and the water pooled by the door. Oh, and although they did provide a crib for us I didn't end up using it because it was quiet small and made of metal and my daughter kept banging her head on the side as she rolled around. It would be fine for a younger baby who is not going to be as mobile.

The biggest annoyance was a day trip we had planned through our tour operator - Transat Holidays - that was supposed to pick us up at 7:15am and never showed up. Our Transat rep. was very apologetic and handled the situation as best as she could but it was annoying to get 2 young children up that early for no reason. The tour operator they booked us with was not very helpful. We called when the bus didn't show up and my friend tried to arrange to go on a slighter later tour with her son. The representative she spoke with on the phone said 'no problem', the bus will pick you up shortly, then after waiting for another hour they said they wouldn't be able to take her. I believe the second trip was called Bavario Runners. Although the Transat rep said they never had a problem with this company before I wouldn't recommend them as they seem unreliable and it was the only company that Transat dealt with for the day tours (it might be a different company for other types of tours (ie boats tours) but I don't know for sure).

Overall I would say it was an excellent resort and would not hesitate to book another family vacation there.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room if you have strollers.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,352)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

This was my first time to Punta Cana and I feel as if I couldn't have picked a better resort to stay at. All the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Carlos Bratawaithe in the Turey Restaurant was so kind and gave us great assistance. He made our dining a lot more enjoyable. The hotel was overwhelming at first because it is rather large compared to the resorts I've stayed at. However there was a train and plenty golf carts waiting to take you from place to place which made it interesting and was very helpful. The food is absolutely delicious and I do not have one thing bad to say about any of the food! Thanks to the Melia Caribe Tropical staff for making this an excellent experience I will never forget!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have different pros about them that make them all unique. We stayed in the eleven t...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Went with my husband of 29 years for a whole week and we were never got bored. We we close to the beach, Turey restaurant and bars & pools. We went the waitress who was laughing all the time for breakfast and lunch Maria de los Angeles Merollo. She was so helpful and good start to the day. The place was so clean and the train was great, The beach so beautiful and very comfortable. The ground are kept so nicely and all the workers were so nice and so helpful. Even the groundsmen were so helpful.

The bartenders at the Caribe main bar are the best. Victor Rosari, Juan Santurea, Alejando Soriano & Manuel Santo. We had a great time and some good drinks. I wish I could enjoy my job as much as they do!

We would go back and bring the grandchildren because it looked like a place that kids and parents could have fun.

Room Tip: 1222 was a great spot. So close to the beach and a train ride to the lobbies. The resort is so big...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I truly enjoyed my hotel stay at this location. The staff were very friendly, always smiling, a great variety of food, and comfortable beds. The free wi fi along the pools and inside the rooms is not that strong. I recommend sitting on the balcony for the best reception. The beach was nice and the water was not freezing cold. My only complaint was not having waiter service along the beach. Whenever I wanted more free drinks or food I had to walk back up by the pool. Other than that, I loved this property and would recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We Stayed here with our 44 guests, we got married here, It was AMAZING, I have been to a few other places in the past few years and This was definately the best!! Everyone loved everything! Food! entertainment! People were very accomidating! And always happy! the resort is huge but very well set up! and there's always someone to give rides! The resort and rooms were very clean! Grounds BEUTIFUL!! We also had children ages 4-6 with us and even they loved it!! They are amazing with the children! For the weding I had my hair done at there salon and that was amazing also, they don't speek too much english, but i brought a picture and she did an amzing job!! I am definately returning to this resort!!!!!

Room Tip: Romance suite!!
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I've read some of the negative reviews here and all I can say is... Dont Listen To Them! This is my second time in Punta Cana but my first at Melia Caribe. I can honestly say I couldnt be happier with this resort. First off, Yes this resort is huggee! They have over 10-12 restuarants and buffets. They even have their own shopping mall within the resort. Check in was very fast and the front desk staff was so helpful and sweet. Everyone we spoke to spoke very good English, even though we speak spanish we had no problem communicating with the staff in English. The service was great! Thank god for the train that they have to transport you around the resort! We tried walking around the resort one night but it got too tiring. The scenary and landscaping is gorgeous. Everything was super clean and there was staff constantly around to make sure the resort looked as good as it could. The food was good. I definitely reccommend making reservations at the specialty restuarants, but you cant go wrong with the buffets. They have convinient touch-screen computers near the restuarants for you to make your reservations. Tips go a longg way! Everyone we encountered was more than willing to help us in any way they could so it doesnt hurt to tip them even $1. They're so appreciative and they'll remember you.. We had a bunch of staff members remember us, even by name, 5-6 days AFTER we had last seen them. I had a GREAT time here and will definitely stay here again! Book here and you won't be sorry!

Room Tip: You can either choose a room by the restaurants or by the pool/beach. My opinion is get one by the b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We returned to this resort because it was so completely excellent the first time. We loved it even more the second time. The grounds are lush and beautifully groomed. The rooms are lovely - beds comfortable and a real sense of privacy despite the fairly dense-pack. Getting around is easy - either walking or riding the train late at night when getting lost is a possibility! The food is better than OK at the buffets and the restaurants for dinner are varied, interesting and most are quite yummy. The beach is fabulous. The pool is huge. The pool bar is great fun and - here we go - my one complaint. There is a rule that people cannot put towels on chairs but there is no enforcement. If you get to the pool after 9 AM, all the poolside chairs are gone. I found this highly irritating - there are signs everywhere stating that this is a rule and yet ----- I would ask the management to enforce this rule. It would make the poolside experience a lot nicer. I would be decidedly less grumpy each AM when I wander down - seriously. But otherwise - wonderful. Affordable. Awesome.

Room Tip: They all seem great. Ours were the cheapest ones in a package deal and the room was exceptionally co...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!