“Wonderful 1st stay, hopefully not to be my last!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel

You added Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Arena Gorda | Playa Bavaro, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Carroll, IA
“Wonderful 1st stay, hopefully not to be my last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand the 1st week of November 2012. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we felt welcome, safe and at home.

Resort/grounds: Amazingly beautiful and always clean, clean, clean. The layout of the resort is great as we never had to walk far for anything. When we visited the other resorts in the complex on foot, the return ride in golf cart was appreciated. The ship is really neat, and the night club below deck is such a great idea. The balconies were nice, especially with the fans and the pull-out dryer racks. Also, can't forget to mention the aroma of the resort...wonderful and refreshing!

Rooms: Gorgeous! The beds were really comfortable and the rooms spacious. The iPod docking station was a nice amenity. The bathrooms are nice...the jacuzzi is great and we loved the double sinks and the rain head in the shower. The towels are thick and long! My only negative would be that there really isn't a good place to put your luggage as we didn't find any stands. Our butlers were so good, I'm sure they'd have gotten us some if we had asked though. We too had to call security one night to open our safe as did other reviewers. Some people think this is ridiculous, I say bravo! I heard several people forget to close their safe only to return and find out housekeeping closed it for them and they had to call to get it re-opened. Not once in a review or in talking did anyone say that something was missing. People need to remember what's most important...NOTHING WAS STOLEN! That is something the resort can definitely be proud of!

Butler Service: PERFECT! Carlos and Gomez, we miss you both. You were a pleasure to visit with and your service was wonderful. Regardless of how many times we asked you about our air conditioning, you always came back to check it out for us. The bath...beautiful and relaxing. The Mama Juana...wow! Please know that everything you did for us was, and always will be appreciated. Thanks for making our stay more memorable with by your presence!

Pools/beach: From the great drinks Leonardo made us (he was always willing to make it stronger if it wasn't enough :) ), to our nice chat with Star Friend Maria, to Boom Boom in the House's offers to join Bingo, the pool was a great place to relax. The hot tub was a little too hot for my liking, but felt good on the feet after a walk on the beach. The beach...oh the beach. No beach shoes needed here...really soft, white powdery sand and plenty of room for walking if you like. The water wasn't clear when we were there, but that comes and goes with the weather. Our trade-off for the sandy water was some FUN waves to float around in. Although we didn't make it out to the pool/beach until early afternoon, we never had trouble getting a couple wherever we wanted them. When other reviewers said there was souvenir shopping on the beach, they were not kidding...it is RIGHT next to the resorts beach. How nice to souvenir shop from these vendors without having to go anywhere. That being said, the jewelry at the hotel store was nice, and reasonably priced.

The food... we ordered room service for breakfast everyday. It was always prompt AND good! The buffet lunch was pretty much average fare in my opinion. We only ate at one a al carte during our stay due to other events going on, but the Italian was awesome!

Transfers/excursions were booked through Amstar...nice job Amstar! It all went smoothly, and the airport transfer was only 20 minutes. Buy your DR Tourist Card online in advance ($10)...VERY quick and easy process getting through immigration with this.
We did the Bavaro Runners excursion (safari). If you want to see/experience the true DR, you MUST take this excursion. Yes, it was 8 hours. BUT, not once did I wish it was over, nor would I have traded any single part of that for time spent elsewhere. The food was good, our driver Adam and guide Willis were FABULOUS and FUN, and the visit to the schools...priceless! It was so neat being able to take toys/games/school supplies for them. You know by the look in their eyes that it is all appreciated.

This place was all-around amazing. It has it all, and then some. For those that complain about the language barrier, I say 2 things... first, when foreigners come to MY country, I espect them to speak MY language. So for me to expect otherwise from them, would be just plain wrong. Secondly, because of the reviews I've read about the DR in general, I fully expected to struggle with a language barrier. I could not have been more wrong in my expectations. In fact, I was blown away by how much English the staff spoke, and how well they spoke it. KUDOS to the staff at the Iberostar for making us feel so welcome AND understood! You did a phenominal job!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guests,
First at all, I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as your destination for your holidays, and for taking time to post a review about your experience among us.
In the name of the Hotel staff and its Management team, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that you had an excellent stay during your visit. We are very motivated by your positive comments about the service provided by our staff members, especially from those whom you named in the review: Leonardo at pool bar, Carlos and Gomez, your butlers and the Star Friends: Maria and Ayendi. In Iberostar our Grand Hotel Collection offers the personalized service through our butler’s team so our guests just have to worry about how to enjoy our premises.
We will be glad to welcome you back. Please contact us before your next visit.
With kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,150)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Collinsville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

What a way to celebrate a special birthday with friends. The resort was pristine, absolutely gorgeous. Golf was fantastic, pool was beautiful. Rode horses on the beach which was on my bucket list. Major kudos to Happy Feet - he was so nice, great dancer, involved everyone in activities. Love him.

I would highly recommend the Iberostar Grand to friends.

Room Tip: Ocean front or ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and birthday celebration and for posting a review about your experience.
In the name of the Hotel Management and the whole team, we thank you for your positive valuation about the cleanness, maintenance and beauty of our premises and the friendliness of our staff, especially from Happy Feet at the star Friends team. Those aspects are part of our guiding principles in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We hope to see you again at our hotel. Please contact us before your arrival.
Yours sincerely,
Spanish Fort, Alabama, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was my first time to the Dominican Republic and staying at an Iberostar resort. My husband and I had a wonderful experience and would never stay anywhere else. I have already researched other Iberostar Grand locations that I would enjoy vacationing to.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,
We thank you for taking time to write a review in Tripadvisor about your stay in Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for choosing our hotel for your first holidays in the Dominican Republic.
We are very pleased and motivated to read that your first experience in an Iberostar hotel was memorable. That is what we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We will be happy to welcome you back in any of our Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection worldwide. Please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Pedroschmidt's review reflects what I have experienced too (except for A/C issue), and agree with his comments. Entertainment team (Eliah, Maria, Ricardo, 'Bum-Bum' and others) are persistent but not annoying at all, and it was real fun to participate in aquarobic, free massage, shooting, bingo, mini-golf, dancing classes and so on. If you don't want to - they leave you alone. Same type friendly and helpful staff in the restaurants (Altagracia, Juana, and most of other guys and gals I can't remember their names - sorry). I had no wi-fi in the room, called butler who re-started a modem (hidden location), after that - no problem for the rest of my stay. Japanese restaurant - food was not tasty... It was 'hibachi' type, but with no fun (cooks did their job in front of us, but with no funny tricks we had seen before in NYC). Pools were clean, and so were jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk/ butler, and they will do their best. They do care of their guests.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear guest,
We thank you for having chosen Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and for having taken time to post a review about your experience among us.
We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed an unforgettable experience whilst your stay. The title of your publication resumes our guiding principles as Iberostar Grand Hotel Collection: only adult police, friendly staff and to be on the best beaches worldwide. Altagracia and Juana as well as Elias, Maria, Ricardo and Ayendi are happy to know that their work left you a remarkable impression.
We are looking forward to see you again, we stay at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit,
Kindest regards,
Greentown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 10/28-11/04. Weather was perfect, room was great, star friends wonderful(shout out to Maria, Riccardo, Stefanie and Boom Boom). The buffet could use some improvement, and really need to fix the reservations for the restaurants.
My husband played golf twice and both times felt he was surrounded by workers. Need to improve that. We know they like to maintain- but a little too much.
All in all wonderful time- will go back to another Iberostar.
No need to go on and on.

Room Tip: Room doesn't matter to us- we are always out having fun!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bávaro for your holidays and for the time to post a review about your stay among us.
We would like to express how satisfied we are to read that you had a wonderful experience during your visit to our hotel premises and facilities. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable experiences to our beloved “stars” on vacation. We will congratulate Maria, Riccardo, Stefanie and Boom Boom for contributing to achieve our goal during your stay.
We will be glad to welcome you back again. Please contact us before your next visit so we can assure you a relaxing stay.
Yours sincerely,
Frisco, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I decided to give IberoStar Grand Hotel a shot after being referred by my attorney. We did read the reviews and felt that this was a good deal for what the package included.

If anyone who has come to this property has been disappointed, in my opinion, its from not asking....not one time during our stay did we have an issue with "anyone" on the staff helping us with "anything" we asked for, regardless of their position.

1. The grounds are impeccable, the floors are so clean you could almost eat off of them. This resort is geared towards couples and it had a nice laid back environment. Plenty of lovely places to take a stroll, feel the sea breeze and just relax.

2. The butlers were amazing. They rotate shifts, so the odds of having the same butler all the time is slim. We had Oscar, Enrique, Henry and Justo. All of them were very helpful and always ready to assist with anything we need. Justo was our butler the majority of the time and he went way above and beyond the call of duty. Since the day my husband and I committed ourselves to each other, I have worn a ankle bracelet he made from hemp string. We had to break it off so that we could swim with the dolphins. My husband asked Justo if he knew where we could find more string so that he could make another anklet for me. Justo went into the city and brought us some string the next day. I would highly recommend requesting Justo for your butler.

3. The food was very good. As with any place that has a buffet, it's all about timing and being careful not to eat things that might not agree with you. We tried to get to the buffet right after opening, but there were some items, that just don't sit well for too long. We did take full advantage of the made to order items on the grill, pasta stations, egg stations, etc. The beef there is from Argentina and is very good. There were quite a few items on the buffet that were out of this world...The ala carte restaurants were also very good. Make sure to get your butler to make your reservation when you arrive. You if can't get in, ask each day for them to check for you. We missed one reservation due to a late return from an excursion and was told it was full, but was able to get in the next day anyway. Also showing up at the door with a tip seems to work sometimes.

4. The beach....one of the prettiest I've ever seen. We didn't have any problems getting chairs to hang out, but the best spots were taken, so get there early.

5. Rooms were gorgeous. We had a swim out room and it was nice to be able to take a dip whenever you would like without having to worry about finding a place to sit. The view isn't the best, but we were looking for our own little slice of heaven away from everyone, and that fit the bill.

6. Staff: I want to give a "shout out" to Bruno, Aldoberta, Liedy, Ricardo, the show staff and everyone else. They made the trip fun and interesting. These guys work 11 days on with 3 days off, sometimes up to 16 hours in a day....and they do it with a genuine smile on their face. You'll see the same folks waiting tables, dancing with patrons, playing roles in the shows and doing daily activities at the beach.

7. Activities: If you like to stay active, go to the Star Friends hut and request the activity list. Also, there are excursions that can be taken off premise for additional fees.

I would definitely go back to the IberoStar Grand Hotel Bavarro. In fact, we are excited to try some of their other Grand properties in other countries. I have only been to 1 other AI property, Club Med, in Guadalupe so this is all I have to compare to. IberoStar beat them hands down.

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for posting a review about your experience among us and for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays.
We are honored to read that you highlighted out the excellent service provided by our friendly staff in all different areas of our hotel grounds. One of our goals as an Iberostar Grand Collection Hotel is to offer the most personalized and friendly service. We are pleased to know that Bruno, Leidy, and Adalberto, from bars, Ricardo, Star Friend, your butlers: Óscar, Enrique, Henry and Justo among many others, did their best to make your holidays especial so we could aim our goal whilst you were at our premises.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,
Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Fabulous hotel. Friendly staff and guests. Great food and fun activities poolside during the day. With the exception of the room maid service the hotel was outstanding. Be sure to order duck and or lamb at the ala carte restaurants; you will NOT be disappointed.

When you arrive, especially if you stay is a shorter duration, be certain to make reservations for the ala carte restaurants upon arrival. Enjoy!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear guests,
In the name of the Hotel Manager and the whole Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro staff, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience among us and for choosing our hotel for the holidays.
We are very pleased to read your kind words about the service provided by our team in the different areas of our hotel premises. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
On the other hand, we apologize for the breakdown of the housekeeping service. We have taken good notes from your comment ad will endeavor to deliver the level of service expected by our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you again. Please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,

Been to Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel? Share your experiences!