Judging by the comments from other travelers we talked to in the airport and on the plane ride back to the states, Iberostar Grand Hotel is definitely the best all inclusive resort in the Dominican. Overall we did not leave disappointed, However there were several things that had my wife and I questioning whether or not we would return. In this review I will highlight some of the things that made our stay a little less enjoyable than it could have been.
1. (BUTLERS) When we arrived we were greeted by our butler "Enrique," who showed us our room and then proceeded to tell us not to hesitate to ask him for anything we need and that it was his job to help us and make our stay as enjoyable as possible. As it turned out he was not our Butler and was never to been seen again even at our request. Word of advice, DO NOT TIP THE FIRST BUTLER!!! Wait and find out who your butler really is and tip him well. Everyone in the Dominican is very aggressive and will push you to give them tips even if it means cannibalizing services.
2. (ROOM SERVICE) On the first night we ordered room service and requested a bottle of champagne and a chocolate tart desert (pre-made). After 1 hour and 3 phone calls we finally received room service. The next day we complained and they said that it was because of the time we ordered it. ( 9 pm lol and room service is 24hrs). On the second day we requested bottles of water and got it 8 hours later. On the third day after our room safe broke twice we asked for management and a butler put in an email request about all of the troubles we were having and the remaining 3 days our service was impeccable.
3. (Casino) There is no casino on site at the Grand Hotel but they do have a small one on the property that is available to you as an Iberostar customer. DO NOT GAMBLE HERE!!!! We had been told by an Apple vacations rep that the roulette wheel is rigged and that they will take you for every dime that you have. We decided to see for ourselves and it was like something from Vegas Vacation. The best thing i can say about the Casino is that it was extremely dirty and shady. No one spoke a word of English and at no time did we feel safe.
4. (Language Barriers) We were very surprised to find that no one at Iberostar Grand spoke fluent English as this the top Resort in the Dominican. We both speak very little Spanish as did most of the other guests we encountered. At first it was kind of neat to immerse yourself in another culture and to practice speaking another language but by the time our trip was over we found it to be very frustrating and I think that communication problems caused a lot of our problems at Iberostar.
Even with all of the negative things I listed we still had a fantastic time. The grounds were beautifully maintained and the pools and beaches were better than another others that we saw.
These are just a few things that I thought I would share to help future Iberostar guests to be better prepared and have a great time.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Amex, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, VISIT US, INC. , Orbitz and BookIt.com so you can book your Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Iberostar