“High expectations, low performance” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana

You added Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Turistico del Este Km.28 No.74, Bavaro, Punta Cana 74, Dominican Republic   |
Special Price
KIDS STAY FREE
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal
“High expectations, low performance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We expected so much more based on the previous reviews. Upon arrival in the evening we were left on our own to find our room. The next day we then went to play the advertised mini putt but it was under construction, The food was average(Mexican was terrible) and as mentioned by someone else, unless you wave tips in the air, service is very slow. Our room was cleaned 3 times in 7 days....... not impressed. Overall not a vacation we enjoyed. Back to the Gran Bahia in Jamaica next year!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room in 5b as it is near the main pool and also the Toro restaurant
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HRHCPuntaCana, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Brad D, we are disappointed to learn that we could not fulfill all of your expectations on this visit. We sincerely regret the fact that you were left to your own to find our room. We’re very sorry that you couldn’t enjoy our Mini Golf that was indeed under construction but now is up and running. We want to let you know that we have gotten in contact with the Housekeeping and Front Desk Departments to ensure that this doesn’t occur again. We would absolutely love to have you and your family again so we can provide you with the awesome experience that you have come to expect from us. TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,852)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had read so many disparaging remarks on this page prior to the trip that I was happily surprised that I did not have the same experience and in fact had a great one! Beach was beautiful, hotel is nice, service was good and food much better than I expected. We were there with a high school senior trip with a relatively large group and it was perfect for that type trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HRHCPuntaCana, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hi julie0318, we want to thank you for this magnificent review!!! You truly are a Rock Star in our book!!! We’re happy you got to enjoy our marvelous beach and our food at our nine different restaurants. We’re happy that you and you Seniors enjoyed a trip that they will never forget. We hope to see you soon in our hotel for some fun in the sun!!! SAVE THE PLANET.
Bolton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Just cam back from Punta Cana and were do i start with this hotel..We booked Hard Rock because we have stayed a different Hard Rocks, we travel every 3/4 months and they were all great! But this one was TERRIBLE, we were a party of 7 booked 2 rooms one room was to be connecting rooms with me 3 kids the second room was to be a suite for my parents, that were to be same floor next to each other, which was all confirmed the day before arriving there. When we arrived there and checked in they took all my information when i asked if the rooms were next to each other they said no they are in different buildings, when i asked if i had a connecting room i was told "you get what you get when you come here it doesn't matter what you confirmed or booked" this was told to me by the manager CINDY ( i then found out she was a front desk supervisor) when i called my travel agent to tell them what was going on she had gotten on the phone with them to confirm what she booked and why i wasn't getting it, at this time they gave us our rooms and i was a room with one king bed and 2 cotts in the living room my parents room that was on the same floor but far from us has a room with 2 dbl beds, not what i paid for...calling the front desk and CINDY again telling me very rude that "is what your getting we have nothing else", after complaining with her and my travel agent complaining with them they finally moved me to another room which was in another buiding same rooms but this one the fridge was leaking in both rooms tv wasn't working and phone didn't work. Having a 2 year old that was tired and hungry i finally just left the rooms to go get food for the kids when we got to the resturant we were told we were not all inclusive and had to paid...at this point i had seen red and again went to front desk and CINDY again very rude "just shrugged her shoulders and said i can't do anything for you" so basicly we paid for VIP service at hard rock confirmed with confirmation # that everything was going to be ready when we got there to "CINDY saying her famous words it doesn't matter what you paid for you get what you get when you get here" Let me tell you i called my travel agent told her to move us ASAP we went to DREAMS PUNTA CANA and they treated us like royalty, we got there we check in we were VIP there and they treated us like VIP. Would i ever recommend HARD ROCK PUNTA CANA NEVER NEVER NEVER, the managment didn't care, the food was --it! the only thing they had going for them was the 2 pools out of the 13 i counted that were actually cleanned the beach was dirty, as were the rooms we stayed in for the for 2 days, we hadn't had are rooms cleaned once we had to get the pool towels to have towels for our shower. When we checked out they then asked us WHY we were leaving and what they can do for us to make us stay? i said REALLY??? 2 days here you didn't ask once or care and now that we are leaving your asking WHY? as we were leaving there was a couple beside us complaining about the same thing with his rooms i just looked at him and said "don't bother complaining just leave if you can they won't help you"...3 days later we seen him and his party at Dreams as well and he was telling us the same thing he went through, and that he would never go back, like he said HARD ROCK is basicly ripping people off you pay for something but you get what you get when you get there....WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK!!! you want a great hotel with great service VIP or not go to DREAMS PUNTA CANA best hotel ever!

Frequent Traveller from Ontario Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Anna C we are terribly sorry for all the trouble you went through. It’s never our intention for our guests to go through these inconveniences. We want you to know that severe corrective measures were taken as a result of this incident. We want you to know that all of our restaurants are in the All Inclusive package so we’re not sure how they told you that you had to pay. The only place you’ll need money will be in the Casino or the Oro Nightclub; other than that everything is All Inclusive. We would like to also apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced concerning the housekeeping service. You can be sure that this is a very important matter for us, and our Housekeeping Director is already working on the corresponding corrective measures in order to avoid a similar situation in the future. We hope that you’ll give us another try so we can provide you with the top notch service you’ve come to expect from us. LOVE ALL, SERVE ALL.
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We planned this Feb 21-28 trip six months ago and followed the reviews here on TripAdvisor almost daily in anticipation. They seemed to be split 50/50. Either people loved it or hated it. Well, now I know why. Here's our story, judge for yourself:
Please bear in mind, I am a travel agent as well as a restaurateur, so this was not my first rodeo.

When we originally arranged this trip, we asked the price for a 'Family 2 bedroom sands suite'. We were quoted as follows: (Casino Rates, by the way)
Family Caribbean Suite February 21 -28 , 2013

2 adults…………………………… UDS$ 444.00 Per night.

1 kid………………………………. USD$ 45.00 Per night.

We wanted to get the 'rock star package' which was not available in the family suite. So I inquired as to the PRESIDENTIAL 2 bedroom suite with the rock star package and was quoted as such:

Rock Star experience 2 bedroom presidential suite February 21 -28 , 2013

2 adults…………………………… UDS$ 1065.00 Per night.
1 kid………………………………. USD$ 123.00 Per night.

This was what we changed our reservation to. I had the confirmation email in hand when we checked in.

This included

24-hour dedicated butler service
Private cellphone for communication with your butler
Private in-room check in & express luggage delivery
Exclusive room amenities
Exclusive room service menu
Packing & unpacking luggage service
Dinner reservations at our signature restaurants
Exclusive Lounge
Private pool & beach concierge & drink service
Jacuzzi preparation by butler (Request 24 hours in advance)
Exclusive in-room or beach-side dinner*
In-room iDock music system
2 exclusive in-room Rock Spa treatments**
Complimentary ironing service*
Guaranteed late check out - 3pm

We checked in after arriving at 230PM, the room was not ready until 4pm. No biggee.. I witnessed at LEAST 3 people screaming at the desk staff about their reservations being totally screwed up, but we were lucky. Or so I thought.

The room was beautiful. Everything we hoped for and more, right by the beach. (Bldg 1A, 3rd floor)
After an hour and a quick lunch in the room with our friends, I wondered how we could contact the butler, get our mini bars filled, arrange the services above, etc.. So I called the desk. I was told that we did NOT have a butler, nor did we have the Rock Star Package. I asked what our rate per night was, and was told $489/night.
Well, I figured someone screwed up, but the rate was less than HALF of what we were supposed to pay, so I could EASILLY live without the rock star package. I don't do the whole massage thing anyway, I gamble.

Casino was open at 10am, tables at noon. All aristocrat machines (10 J Q K A) and at best 7/5 jacks or better. No wheel of fortune or any newer slots. Again, no big deal.
I started at the BJ table, of which there were TWO. $10/$300 tables. Salon Privé had a single $100/$500 table. Unfortunately, my luck ran horribly all week, I couldn't sit down without losing minimum of $2k every half hour. Never got a good run. Hey, it happens. But although I put in more than $13K in 5 days, I didn't get more than 7 hours total due to the money pouring out so quickly. Not anyone's fault. Just bad luck.

Now, the food was great. The pools & beach were great, as were the staff (with the exception of the housekeeping folks. Always looking for tips, had to call for 3 straight days to get our bars filled, no towels, no water or soda 2 days, broken tv, dead cordless phone, hair in shower) Again, minor annoyances.

The staff DOES expect tips, 'all-inclusive' notwithstanding. If you tip them the first time you see them, they will most definitely 'take care of you'. We learned that the hard way.

For you musicians: The 'Picks' program, where they 'loan' you a Fender Guitar, FX pedal and headphones, requires a $1000 CC deposit per 2 day loan. Don't bother. The guitars were all beaten half to death, finish rubbed off, horribly warped and terrible fret action. I wouldn't have PAID $1000 for the whole bunch of them. One Strat was even missing a pickup, another 2/3 knobs.

Mini-Golf: Still just a giant unfinished sandpit. Not even close to being finished.
Specialty Restaurants: Asian 3/5 Mexican 4/5 Brazilian 2/5 Steak 4/5 Pizza 4/5 Italian 1/5
Buffet Restaurants: Good variety, fresh and hot for the most part. About what you would expect. Oddly enough, hard to get ice for your ice water.
Spa: Excellent. 5/5
Golf: as per our friend who played 3 times that week, phenomenal. Despite the 2* sunburn. He can tell you THAT story.
Security: Quite a few 'breaks in the fences'. But they always seemed to have a 'guard' manning them. At least until 2am.
Overall Grounds Condition: Constantly being worked on. Landscaping flawless. Scummy reflecting pools where the water was stagnant. Few insects, cute little pink salamanders live in the light fixtures on the stair landings.
Check in/out: HORRIBLE. RUDE. UNKNOWLEDGEABLE. NO language skills, save for a few.
Room Service: Prompt, although not always right. They DO always follow up with a phone call. Sometimes even BEFORE the food gets to the room.
Mini-Bar: Local rum & Vodka, unless you ask for something else. ONLY BEER is Presidente'. No Bud, No Coors, No Nuttin'... Odd. Coke, Coke 'light', citrus drink, water. When it got filled. Which wasn't often.
Entertainment: Stadium-style concrete seating, ripped cushions, hokey shows, including their 'circus night' where they ripped off Cirque du Soleil 'fabric acrobatics', even using the music from 'Allegria'. That MUST be an infringement. Sound system awful & lighting tech 80's era disco.
Club ORO: Massively expensive. $500 minimum table service, a la carte drinks $15 per incl. tip. They DO offer mid-week free admission for hotel guests, along with unlimited drink package for $60pp. Quite loud & high tech.
Smoking: Pretty much allowed EVERYPLACE. Including the second you enter the airport terminal from the plane. We smoke, so that was a bonus, catching a smoke while waiting for the luggage at the conveyor. Watch for the persistent baggage carriers. Be firm if you want to carry your own bags, or they will grab them for you without asking, looking for a tip.

We were supposed to receive $1500 'resort credits' to be used at the spa, tours, golf, etc. But we were NEVER told how or where to use them. When I went to the casino host (alexis) the night before check out to settle up comps, he was in a stuffy office that smelled like he had been blasting out bean-farts for his whole shift. I actually gagged and asked him to talk to me outside. After 3 hours of him making call after call, he told me they would knock off $500 for all my play. I thought that losing over $13K (which he acknowledged) would get me more than that, since I had been billed for all the other things we did (spa for the girls, one tour, total $250) he told me I should have used the $750 resort credit(! What happened to $1500?) I had been given. I explained we had never been told how, and he showed me a card that explained the breakdown. I had NEVER seen this card before, it was not in the room, or at the desk, or anywhere else besides the hosts office. He told me it was their only copy. Another 4 hours later, I was visited by the casino shift manager, who told me that in lieu of much time at the tables, they would comp me 10% of my total losses, or $1300, and apply our remaining $500 resort credit to the bill as well. Fine and totally acceptable.

Next morning, we had our privately arranged transport at the hotel at 11am, since we had to be at the Airport at noon. I started the check out process at 10. My bill was over $5000. Casino took off $813. No more. No resort credit, no nothing. AND, they charged me $250 for the spa and $850 for a golf cart rental that was supposed to be $500. They stated that they do not apply resort credits to the room charge, I stated that the Casino Mgr had promised me that they would. They stated that the Casino has nothing to do with the hotel, no influence whatsoever, and that the Manager was not available. Nor was a host. Nor was a shift boss. Nor was the Hotel manager. So I refused to pay those extra charges, and they told me I had to, or I couldn't leave the property, they would keep our bags, refuse to let the taxi leave, etc… This sounded like theft and kidnapping to ME… I walked outside with my family and friends, fully intending to get in the cab and leave. We were gang-rushed by a half dozen earpiece-wearing, non english speaking security guards and assistant managers, who actually started taking our luggage from us. Thank god that my friend Rafael spoke fluent spanish, because the staff spoke no english. Without him I would have been in jail, because I was furious at this point. They said that they would be charging my CC anyway, I told them to go ahead, as I had signed NOTHING at check in or otherwise.. We went back and forth for over an hour, my kid was hysterical and my Fiancee and 2 friends were angry and embarrassed. Eventually we reached a standstill and they said they would knock off $489 from my bill 'just as a gift' for my inconvenience. It was still too much, but we had to get to our flight, so I went back inside, had ANOTHER argument at the desk, and eventually let them charge my card in front of me & signed for it.
On top of all that, they took ALL our liquor from our bags at the airport, carry on as WELL as checked and told us we would have to re-buy it at the wonderful store just past security. Screw that. Such a country.

So, that's the story. NEVER again at the HRC. Next time, Iberostar or Bavaro'… I should have listened to the reviews, after all.

It was the best of times, and the worst of times.. I hope this review was helpful to some of you out there...

(hint- watch the space below for a couple of days. I bet there will be a little response from some P/R person from the hotel, apologizing for all our misfortunes and promising that the 'appropriate department managers' have been notified, so that this will never happen again. The same form letter that most reviews before mine seem to get)
'LOVE ALL, ROCK THE WORLD, SCREW THE CUSTOMERS'

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Ieemanpa, We’re very disappointed to discover that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. We sincerely regret not having been able to fulfill all your expectations this time around concerning the service provided by our Hard Rockers in the front desk area. We would like you to know that we work very much in the training and supervision of each member in our team. It dismays us to know that you didn’t enjoy our Picks program. On the other hand, we are pleased to inform you that, in order to better serve our English-speaking guests, we have our School of Hard Rock, where our staff members partake in English classes. We are proud to say that we have a very high attendance rate, especially from those who are in direct contact with our guests. A hotel of our style and size isn’t for everyone, but we are glad that you gave us a try. ALL IS ONE.
Maple, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

i dont understand some peoples comments the hard rock at punta cana for me was great
the food was good other then the seafood restaurant there was only lobster and it wasnt great
the staff are friendly it is a big place but its alright they have golf carts to pick you up all day to drive you to your destination i called room service they were allways there my fridge was allways topped up the only negative for me was the price its my second year and it seems the price keeps going up.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quiter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hey there tony l, we want to thank you for the short review and awesome review you’ve given us!!! We’re ecstatic to know that our Hard Rockers went above and beyond to deliver you excellent service; it’s good to know you that you were well catered by them!!! We’re thrilled that you got to enjoy our many venues so be sure to visit us again some time in the near future. Our Hard Rock fam is eager to roll out the Red Carpet for your next visit soon. TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.
Edgewater, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We spent the first days of March 2013 with a large group in the hotel. The staff varied from helpful to unwilling to take your drink order. The staff will only attend to people waiving money in this all inclusive resort. The food is all the same but served well. Most of the staff doesn't speak basic english. The poor management title comes from an episode with my wife and I having 2 sleepless nights with the adjacent rooms phone ringing continually all through the night. The phone rang in the adjoining room occupied by another hotel guest. Phone is located next to the closed doors used to adjoin the rooms. The management was unable to change our room for an unknown reason. Resort was far from full. The management stopped answering the phone at 2:30am and refused to remove the phone from the guest room. We didn't sleep and they refused to correct the wrong at check out. It will be a cold day before we will spend a dollar in any Hard Rock.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 80wide, we’re pained to find out that you didn't have a good time while you were here. We sincerely regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations this time concerning the service provided by some of our Hard Rockers. We want to apologize for the inconveniences you may have experienced with the food being the same. We urge you to eat at all of our 9 restaurants next time so you can find one to your liking, we’re more than certain that you will. We also want to apologize for us not being able to move you to a different room. We have taken the liberty to share your remarks with our Front Desk Director to ensure that this won’t happen again. We're eager to have you provide us with another opportunity to ensure that we'll rock your stay next time!!! SAVE THE PLANET.
Hyde Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just returned from the Hardrock Resort Punta Cana.The resort is very large and all the carts and small trucks that are running thru out the complex are probably needed to keep this place running.We had room 6215 and every two minutes some noisey vehicle was going by.This being said the grounds are beautiful and rooms very clean and kept that way all week by housekeeping.Pools and beach very clean as well.Food was soso, our favorite being Zen hibachi.Mini fridge was suppose to be restocked daily but after the third day we could not get anyone to do it after several calls.Communication with the staff is very hard,they speak or understand very little english.The bar in the casino is a cash bar and also the bar in the nigt club ORO,so much for all enclusive.As for us we prefer Hardrock Cancun,to each his own.Hope this will help someone with their vacation plans.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the mini golf course that is being built.They work on it from 8am to 6pm every...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello DONALD M, it disappoints us to read that you didn’t enjoy your vacation the way it was supposed to. We’re more than certain that you could have gone to our front desk and have them change your room to a more quiet part of our hotel. On the other hand, we’re happy to know our Zen restaurant was one of your favorite spots in our hotel. We want you to know that we just finished talking to our Housekeeping Management to make them aware of your remarks. We hope that you will give us another try on your next visit to Punta Cana so that we can provide you with the awesome experience that you truly deserve. LOVE ALL, SERVE ALL.

Been to Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana? Share your experiences!