“ostentatious style attracts like clientele” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve

You added Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve to your Saves list
Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   111 Moo 3 Nongthalay, Muang, Nong Thale, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nong Thale
Hong Kong, China
“ostentatious style attracts like clientele”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel feels like a maze; built to impress and to give the illusion of being in a ultra modern middle eastern palace in a futuristic movie. if you are looking to be at one with nature, this is not the place. Potential guests beware: there is no access to a direct beach. You will have to take a 25 min boat ride to hong island that departs at 930 am on a daily basis, and hang with all the others tourists that are day tripping there. With the low tide, there are lots of rocks exposed and you need to look pretty far out to get that "krabi island" view. They should make it clear there is no direct beach access. But i suppose this may not matter to the well heeled clientele that are constantly on their cell phone.

To be fair, the service is very good, rooms are new and well maintained but you need to embrace the high purple walls, steep slopes and over manicured gardens. Facilities for kids are very good with a playroom and a nice gym for the parents.

After a short stay, we moved over to Tubkaak which is the polar opposite of this resort. More expensive there but the crowd was much more down to earth, and they have an actual beach!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This would have to be the most amazing resort I have ever stayed at so far on my travels. It is definately my idea of heaven on earth and it has raised the bar for me! It's going to be hard to beat. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave (which was so hard to do) you are treated like royalty, but there is no feeling of it being pretentious or pompous. The feeling you have at this resort is really relaxed, tranquil and serene. You don't need to get all dressed up and be all fancy shmancy at this resort which is what I loved about it.

We stayed in a Pool Villa, the room was beautiful, airy, well laid out with an indoor and outdoor bath as well as a private swimming pool and outdoor daybed. Although what it lacked were deck chairs by the private pool so there wasn't really anywhere to lie out in the sun. The 4 meter long bed in the room was like sleeping on a cloud. It's the most comfortable sleep I have had in a very long time, maybe ever. The bathroom was huge and a pleasure to spend time in. A girl loves a nice bathroom. Everything has been thought of. The rain shower was great and the his and hers sinks shaped like shells were a great touch. I would describe the villa as feeling like I was living in a Moroccan temple as it has a lot of Moroccan touches. I loved the big doors between the room and the bathroom.

Now to my ultimate favourite part of this resort.....the infinity swimming pool. WOW was the first thought that entered my mind when I saw it. The pool is huge and has the most beautiful tranquil view of the ocean and the limestone cliffs scattered around the sea. Every once in a while a long tail boat passes by and you really feel like you have died and gone to heaven. There are plenty of sun loungers and day beds around the pool and great big umbrellas to keep you out of the sun. Next to each sunlounger are eskys filled with ice and bottled water which the lovely pool boys refill for you all day. I probably spent 90% of my time at the infinity pool as I couldn't keep away from it. The longer I stayed there the longer I wanted to stay. I didn't want the sun to go down. Some days we had the whole pool to ourselves, I don't know where everyone else was. The staff around the pool were very friendly and attentive and the food and cocktails were fantastic. There is no real beach at this resort but the pool more than makes up for the lack of beach.

Speaking of food, I loved every bite. Everything I tried was delicious. The breakfast was beautiful, I love that its part buffet and part al a carte, it was hard to choose what to have as all the choices were so tempting. I tried something different everyday. For dinner the food was delicious and the room service was also great. No complaints from me. It isn't cheap for Thai standards but if you're staying at a resort of this standard and price range you don't expect it to be cheap.

The location of this resort is very secluded, you are not walking distance to anything, not even a convenience store so if you want snacks that aren't provided in the minibar then think ahead and buy some on your way there or when you're out. They do provide a free minibar which is restocked each day with drinks but there is nowhere at the resort to buy chocolates or snacks etc so maybe they should stock some in their gift shop. It's about a 20min drive to Ao Nang which is where you find all the action of Krabi. If you feel like getting out of the tranquility of the resort you can go into Ao Nang for some shopping, cheap foot massages and lots of restaurants to choose from.

On a whole, I LOVED my stay at the Ritz Carlton. Thank you to all the staff for making my holiday so memorable. I can't stop thinking about it, whenever the weather it not so nice at home i close my eyes and remember my time there and feel so much better. I will DEFINATELY return one day as I have to experience it again. That's a must.

Room Tip: The Pool Villas are beautiful and if you are the type of person that needs a private pool then it...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Undoubtedly the best Ritz Carlton we have ever stayed in and definitely up there as one of the best hotels.
This place only has a small number of rooms and a very personalized service, Our children had a great time (they tailor the kids activities to suit you).
The apartments are spacious, the outdoor bath is fun and the butler service great, always with a smile and nothing too much trouble.
Food in the resort is expensive, but given the luxurious settling and the quiet laidback atmosphere it is worth every penny.
Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Phulay Bay in November. My boyfriend actually won three nights here and enjoyed the luxury. The rooms are magnificent and the service is fantastic.
Great for honeymooners or anniversaries.

We loved the room with the two baths (indoor and outdoor) and we loved the shower which is two in one so you can shower together.
The toilet isn't very private with clear glass doors surrounding it but if you're with your partner it doesn't matter.

We loved the sunset bar and walking around the resort. Our butler, Sabai was amazing and very helpful.

After three days we found it all a bit much and I don't actually miss it as it was such a full on experience.

I would stay again but only on very special occasions! Definitely something to experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Designed to dazzle, the architecture at this resort takes your breath away from the moment you arrive. We arrived on a private boat transfer from another resort, Paradise resort on Koh Yao Noi, booked with our travel agent Andaman Adventures, with whom we also booked all of the 4 resorts we stayed at on our custom-designed island hop through the region, getting good prices everywhere (we got a free night at the Phulay Bay and, though the nightly rate was higher than the rate on agoda, after we factored in the free night the price we got ended up quite a bit lower than agoda’s). As soon as you arrive at this resort the stunning entrance pagoda signifies that this hotel is going to demolish your expectations. The rooms are amazing (huge beds, opulence all around, really more than 5 star luxury, I’d give it 6 stars). Other highlights (a) beautiful infinity pool (b) sea view (c) a 24 hour butler (d) nearby Tubkaek beach is a good one, though the resort does not have a great beach frontage (e) fab restaurants – we have a veggie family member which caused problems elsewhere, but not here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed 4nights with my girlfriend on November 2013.
I introduce good point and disappoints point of the Phulaybay.

Restaurants
Lea lay ...very romantic mood, nice food, staff were very nice, price was so so .

Jampoon...(only breakfast) good location,
food was nice but I wanna more hot meal (EX.Egg benedict,Pancakes etc.)
and more kind of Sausages.
some staff were no smile and chat often.
Sri trang... Very nice classy mood,very nice staff,food were delicious.
In villa dining... Quick delivery, price were a little expensive, staff was nice.
Pool food...staff were nice.price were too expensive for lunch,
Especially I wanna free sweets services for guests at the pool
like a major laxuary resorts.

Room
Very comfortable huge bed,Room keeper team was perfect, very clean every time.
And they followed my a little difficult requests.
The Complimentary soft drinks were nice, but I hope espresso will be free.

Butler
Absolutely great, every time she gave us her smile and her kindness made us happy every day.

ESPA
Very clean, nice mood, but treatment room was too cold for me.
Staff were very kind , technic was very nice.

Others
Library was not found...big disappointment !! I need it for long stay.
Retail shop was so so, but I want more original goods like a keyring,sticker and baggage tag.
Hong island tour...very nice, staff was very kind.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Sunset with a lychee cocktail and paradise views, infinite pool and infinite bed, delicious meals, siesta in a hammock hanging from a palm tree, private boat to visit surrounding islands and surprise anniversary barbecue under the stars. This hotel, this location and the team that runs it made our family trip an unforgettable experience.

Stayed November 2013

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!