“Beautiful property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve

You added Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve to your Saves list
Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   111 Moo 3 Nongthalay, Muang, Nong Thale, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nong Thale
Caldwell, New Jersey
“Beautiful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed there in April. It was wonderful hotel and I can call it best or second best resort I ever stay. Buildings are well maintained and clean and crisp. I wish I had more time there~~!! They have two levels of room pricing structure. I stayed the higher one (=more expensive), but I love the other ones being so cozy. Next time, I will stay lower one. And they have a lot of activities throughout a day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had a truly amazing experience at this resort. The Phulay Bay Ritz Carlton is a special place. The service was superb, my room was like nothing I have ever seen and the food at all of the restaurants was amazing. We attended a fabulous cooking class and spent some quality time at the spa. I am spoiled and get to travel quite a bit. This is one of my top hotels.

Also, as a single female traveler, I have never been more welcomed. It can get odd when you are traveling alone and the staff made me feel comfortable and they treated me with respect.

Go to this resort. It is a a truly amazing experience. If I could I would go back every year!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

One word: WOW!! A friend and I decided to spend a few days of total relaxation in Thailand after an intense sightseeing tour of Asia. After hearing mixed reviews about Phuket, we found this new Ritz-Carlton managed "Reserve" in Krabi. It was recommended to us by a friend in the travel business and we were also told it was the location where the wedding in "The Hangover 2" was filmed! Our goal was to be at a small resort, where you feel miles away from all the "tourists" and where the staff would take care of us and help us relax before the long journey back to North America. From the airport pick-up in a brand new van with essential oil infused cool towels, we were driven about 30 minutes to the resort when you really feel like a celebrity upon arrival. There isn't any front desk itself, just a spectacular welcome pavilion (on water, surrounding by candles) where the general manager herself welcomed us with a refreshing cocktail and we were then escorter by golf cart to our private villa by our very own butler! The moment he opened the villa door, we knew we had made the right decision. The villa are spectacular. We had the largest bed I have ever see (the bed was about 4 meters long!), very high ceiling, natural light everywhere, enormous bathroom with a huge soaking tub and an outside tub and our very own pool! And the way the resort is designed, we really never see the other guests. And the whole decor is thai inspired so you really feel that you are someplace special, not just another big resort with generic decor. I could go on and on about the resort but here's a few tips if you are considering this hotel:
-Perfect for couples (very romantic setting) and families. One night that we were there, they had a baby elephant that came visit...kids were loving it!
-We really didn't need to go out of the resorts for meals. For a small resort, they have like 5 restaurants (thai of course, seafood (in a beautiful villa setting), international, indonesian). The food was spectacular.
-The buffet breakfast has amazing options. We usually had a big breakfast and then just ordered a light lunch by the pool for lunch. Try all the different iced tea flavors!
-Everyone must do the island excursion, they pick you up right in front of the hotel by speed boat and bring you to this untouched island where you can lay down on a prestine beach, swim, snorkel, etc...it is a great morning or afternoon adventure.
-Make sure to be at the sunset bar around 5:30-6pm to sip a drink while looking at the sunset on the bay, a real paradise.
-SPA!!!!! if you are a spa lover like us, find some time to go experience the ESPA spa (a brand we had experienced at a few other Ritz-Carlton in Asia before). I think this is their only location in Thailand. I had a body wrap and it was one of the best spa experience I have had in a long time. They encouraged us to take our time and really enjoyed all the amenities of the spa like the outside hot tub overlooking the jungle.
We would definitely go back again when visiting Asia to have a little bit of R&R after intensing visiting of thailand or surrounding countries. Krabi has many direct flights (we found very cheap fares with Air Asia out of Bangkok). A holiday we will remember for a long time.....hope to be back for my honeymoon one day :). Thanks to all the staff and our butler (his name I forgot) the making us feel so special. The return to reality was hard!

Room Tip: Book a villa with your own private pool!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had two side by side reserve villas for 8 nights for my family. The quality of the rooms, grounds and service is outstanding in every way. Our butler, Yid, was a tremendous help throughout the week. The hotel and restaurant staff was the most professional and well-trained my family has encountered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I had high aspirations for this property. We have been to Bankok and Koh Samui and stayed at the Four Seasons and Peninsula Hotels and wanted to try the Ritz Carlton. It was a special getaway for us and we called ahead to ensure our anniversary celebration would be great. We reserved a Royal Beach Villa which was a little more than $2000.00 a night. When we arrived the entrance was impressive. The room is certainly beautiful and the property is impressive. It has a beautiful tub, shower and interesting architecture. The location is ocean front. Be aware that during our visit the tide was low and there were a large amount of rocks and sand where there should have been deep beautiful water.
The food and beverage was average at best. The breakfast is o.k. but does not taste fresh and the hot dishes, same pastries and fruit get old by the second day. The Breakfast staff is great. The service and attitude of the other staff is several notches below a five star property. There were not many smiles by the staff at the pool and the seemed to be lacking in the training and ability to deliver five star service. The pool service is slow and I witnessed a server sneeze and not wash his hands. We requested ice on two occasions and it simply was never delivered to our Villa. I sent out some dry cleaning and it was also never delivered until I called twice requesting it.
During our visit there was a Tsunami Warning which was certainly a frightening experience. The communication was very confusing and unorganized. We were told to pack up all of our belongings to evacuate our room. We hurriedly packed all of our suitcases and rushed out of the villa. The General Manager seemed panicked and told us there was no time to bring our bags and to leave them outside in the rain which we did. We were then driven by cart to the staff kitchen on the property. There seemed be no organized plan of what to do. We were standing outside with the hotel staff (housekeeping, kitchen, engineering etc.) and no one was saying anything. The guests were then instructed to hike up a hill behind the Ritz Carlton. We stopped in one location and were then told to hike up further up the mountain past barb wire in an abandoned wooded area. The Hotel has no Tsunami Shelter for this type of emergency. We waited in the woods and took cover under a bush next to a barb wire fence for many hours. Thankfully we emerged drenched and clothes ruined but the Tsunami never came. We then walked down a muddy hill at night with no raincoats or flash lights. We spent over $9000.00 with the hotel for our vacation and were under the impression they had adequate facilities for this type of emergency but they do not.
The most surprising thing is that when we returned to the room I found a drawer with a poncho and flashlight and sandals that was never brought to our attention. These supplies could have helped keep many of the hotel guests dry. I did not see any life preservers. It was hard to enjoy the vacation after this ordeal and the way Management handled it. We stayed one more day and did not see any members of management or receive any phone calls to check up on us. Our clothes were ruined from the rain and mud and there was no offer to clean anything or compensate us. It seemed like the management was hiding away somewhere. I requested a meeting with the General Manager and discussed our disappointment in how this challenge was handled. She was very defensive and writing notes the whole time instead of looking us in the eye and listening. As I was telling her that they need a shelter and an organized plan because this is unsafe and you can't advertise a 5 Star Resort and charge such high fees and offer sub par service, she argued with us and said we were the only ones to complained and that she was satisfied by the way Ritz Carlton handles the Tsunami Warning. Although the property is nice, the terrible service, sub par food and beverage and poor execution outweigh the positives and leave a well informed traveler wanting to Find a better alternative property for a Holiday in Thailand.

Room Tip: Royal Beach Villas are beautiful but not worth the price. Book one level below and try for an upgra...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahmedabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I selected Phulay Bay ritz carlton to spend some quality time with my girlfriend. We selected resort pavilion and was shocked to see the villa size. Its too spacious with personal bath tub outside your villa and amazingly beautiful natural rain showers (there are two showers and both can have shower together).

The property is bit from Krabi Town but it has amazing facilities and well trained staff.

A huge swimming pool and Sunset Bar is the USP of the resort.

The only concern about the resort is the vegetarian food.

But from my view - A must visit resort before you die.

Room Tip: Undoubtedly all rooms are good but the best is Royal Beach Villa. Extremely costly but worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

It's hard to know where to start. This was certainly was of the best hotel experiences of my life. The resort is superb! It's a far trip from Texas, but certainly well worth the time and expense.
After a few days in Phuket, its was about a two hour drive to Krabi via the van from the Resort. Upon arrival, we were met by the General Manager and key management staff. They introduced us to our butler, Em, who was our constant companion throughout our stay.
Em brought us to our villa. Certainly one of the most impressive hotel rooms I've ever seen, it was outfitted with and indoor and outdoor bathroom, a bed the size of two king size beds, and our own private pool. The decor and fixtures would be something you would find in the finest of luxury homes.
We did a Thai cooking class - a lot of fun, very tasty, and certainly learned a bit about Thai cooking. The spa was fantastic. The Thai massage had me feeling more limber than I have in years. The restaurants were very good with the Thai restaurant being the best and the "International" restaurant being fairly good for dinner.
Though the resort does not really have a beach, I didn't miss it. The pool facilities and service were top notch and had breathtaking views.
We mostly just relaxed, slept, read, and enjoyed cocktails throughout the day. We did spend a 1/2 day doing the Elephant Trekking - setup by our butler. Well worth the time - a great little adventure.
The service level at Phulay Bay is certainly world class. The butler arranges your entire experience - as you want it, when you want it. The butler even checks you in, in your villa, and checks you out, again, in your villa. There is no front desk!
All of this luxury is not inexpensive. All aspects of the experience are expensive. I find it's best to remember that this is a unique experience and not the time to "cut corners" or to save a few dollars.
This was certainly a trip of a lifetime, that I want to do at least twice in a lifetime!

Room Tip: The reserve villas were incredibly large and had their own private pool!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!