“Disappointed@Sheraton” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort

You added Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   155 Moo 2 | Muang, Krabi, Nong Thale, Krabi Town 81180, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Nong Thale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oslo
“Disappointed@Sheraton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Staying here for 7 nights during September, we do feel we have a lot to write about.

At check in, we were offered an upgrade to a Premium Sea Facing Studio Suite at an additional THB 1200/night. As this was our honeymoon, we decided to go for the little extra. Looking at the rates you’ll find on the internet, the upgrade price we were offered at check in was very competitive.

The suite was lovely decorated, very spacious (twice the size of a Club Room) and had all the amenities we would expect. Bathroom was awesome with double sinks, hot tub, large shower area and closets which you could open from both the bathroom and bedroom side. The living area had a new 40” flat screen with a surround sound setup, very nice for those DVDs which you could borrow at Link@Sheraton. Disappointingly, an iPod dock was missing, which is fairly common to find nowadays in hotels.

As always, pillows, bed sheets and linens at Sheraton are fabulous. On the other side the mattresses were not of the best quality and lacking a decent top mattress making you lay almost directly on the springs. I expected more from a Sheraton bed in a suite. If the bed got replaced in the refurbishment, it is disappointing that it was not invested more in the sleep quality of guests. Another element that would influence sleep quality is the thin door facing the outside hallway. You will hear your neighbor’s going in and out and people talking making it difficult to sleep in undisturbed.

When booking with Sheraton, we knew that Internet was not complimentary other than in the Club lounge, at Link and at the lobby. But the distances you’ll face in this hotel made this more inconvenient than we had thought. Our room was about 300 meters from the lobby so you couldn’t just swipe by to check your e-mail before you go to bed. Just something you should be aware of if you’re an internet junkie. Having internet in your room/other public areas will set you back THB 470/day or THB 2568/week.

Club Room and Suite guests enjoy access to the Club Lounge which will serve complimentary drinks and evening snacks from 5pm - 7pm each day. We thoroughly enjoyed the lounge and found ourselves there for two hours almost every night. Drinks and service was very good, compliments to the Club Lounge staff.

Restaurants at the hotel were fine, nothing extraordinary. Breakfast was adequate in choice, but very poor in service. Breakfast staff seemed uninspired and was more busy with cleaning tables without guests than tables with guests. Every time I went for some more food, my last plate was always there when I got back. We did try both Mangosteens and Gecko’s for dinner. Prices are of course a little higher than outside the hotel, but nothing outrageous in my opinion. For 2 people with appetizer, a main course and a drink, we paid in average THB 1500-2000.

If I would have ended my review here, this would easily have been an 4 star rating, but unfortunately our stay at the Sheraton was disrupted by a full 2-day party that sounded like Scooter and Punjabi MC had joined forces playing continuously and at maximum sound level. Our room was a good 3-400 meters away, but while in our room it was “ka-dunk ka-dunk” nonstop. Relaxing or napping at the pool area would be impossible during these days. Management did notice guests that some noise would occur, although I feel notifying did not justify.

I fully understand that you could have weddings or other similar events at a hotel and that it can produce a little bit more noise than usual, but this was way over what is acceptable in my opinion. Although music is a matter of personal taste, I believe that something that sounds like an Indian/East European rave party isn’t suitable for a resort of this style.

On day 2 of this event, we had enough, so we decided to head to the Phulay Bay Resort (Ritz Carlton) for some true relaxing and fine dining. This was a truly recommendable and memorable experience. When we got back at around 11.30 PM, music was still playing at a high sound level. Luckily, I had intoxicated myself with some French bubbly making sleeping easier.

It seems like this Sheraton hotel has private and corporate events as a secondary income source, so don’t be surprised, if you’ll find your stay reduced in value by this.

Will I stay here again? Probably not.

Feel free to write me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Room upgrades offered at check in is good value.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KrabiSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello 'MrOslo',

Thank you very much for your visit and the time you have taken to review our resort; we appreciate feedback, because it helps us to enhance our service and resort.

Great to read that you have taken the opportunity to up-grade on arrival; depending on available rooms, our up-sell offers are indeed very competitive and come with great benefits. I am glad that you liked our suite; we have replaced the beds as well so it is the newest version of the ‘Sheraton Sweet Sleeper’. Thus, I regret that you did not find the bed comfortable. Thank you also for your comments in regards to the iPod docking station and the doors. We will certainly look into it.

While we have only a few groups per year with outdoor functions, I would like to apologize that the group you are referring to has disturbed your holidays. It was indeed a special event and I do understand your point.

Thank you again – I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back. If you have plans to do so, please do let me know so I can make sure you are well taken care of and have a wonderful stay.

urs.lienhard@sheraton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Aust
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Check in went very smoothly and the young lady who did the check in was also very helpful in giving us lots of information we may require. We requested a renovated club room on the top floor and that was exactly what we got. The room was very spacious, clean, bright and modern, as was the bathroom. Our only gripe about the room is the lack of storage space - no drawers or shelves, just a small wardrobe to hang some clothing. In the whole scheme of things this truly wasn't a big deal and unpacking and having put away neatly is important to me.
The beach here is one of the best I've ever been to, with beautiful warm gentle currents and soft sand underfoot, it was idealic. The pool also was wonderful and we particularly like the poolside cabanas as they gave a shadey relief to the hot sun.
The restaurants were great and although more expensive than outside restaurants, we didn't find them over priced and the food was excellent.
We loved the staff here at the resort, they are all friendly and happy with smiles all round. It truly is lovely being looked after by these wonderful people and I hope management appreciate them.
The Sheraton Club Lounge was open nearly all day every day with alcohol and food served for a couple of hours each evening. The drink choices were good and the food on offer was a hot hor's dourves with a selection of cold crudites and dressings. The staff here too was lovely, but it was a shame that we had to speak to managemnt about one young man who made us feel quite unwelcomed to the point of almost being blatantly rude. He did though have a complete turn around in attitude and did seem to treat everyone with the same happy attitude as the rest of the staff.
We booked the Phi Phi island all day tour through the hotel and it was excellent. We were picked up from the hotel at 8am and taken to the speedboat. We visited many beautiful places for snorkelling and taken to lunch ata restaurant on Phi Phi with some free time for exploring. We returned to the hotel at 4.30 and we would definately do this again next time.
I'd strongly recommend you stay at this wonderful resort if you are after a quiet peaceful holiday in a magnificent paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KrabiSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Hello 'Ruinedout',

Thank you for your visit and for sharing your experience with other travelers here on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read that you liked our rooms and enjoyed your time with us. By the way, we are currently exploring options to maximize the storage space in the room you have stayed in. I am also thrilled to read that you have enjoyed dining in our restaurants. Thank you also for your feedback regarding your Sheraton Club experience which I have already addressed with the team.

I have also passed on your compliments to our dedicated Sheraton Tour Desk team – I am sure they have another recommendation for you when you return…

Thank you again and till next time!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I will start by stating that I can not understand what anyone could want that they did not get here for anyone that leaves a less than 5 star review, although as we drove ourselves from Krabi airport, the one thing that could possibly be looked at it the position of the Sheraton sign. We drove past a couple of times before finally seeing it as the taxi stand out on the street often have a van parked next to the sign, and the only one visible driving past is the King and Queen of Thailand. This is not a complaint, just a suggestion as I know most people would be picked up or go by taxi and therefore not applicable to most.
Now to check in, very friendly, happy staff welcomed us and when seeing that we had club benefits soon took us into the lounge for check in and a welcome drink etc. We were then shown to our room and which had a beautiful heart towel with orchids on the bed, and orchids in our beautiful big spa in the bathroom. The view from our room was terrific, beautiful pool and sea views past the lovely gardens. Of course the grounds are extensive, and can take a bit of walking to see it all, but the staff were great, and even when we were out walking we had them stopping in the golf carts trying to get us to go with them, and pool staff asking if we would like them to ring for a ride for us. All staff were so friendly and never passed without a smile and hello.
Our first stop once settled in was the infinity pool, and bar, what a place. I wish I had noted the name of the barman, he was such a great guy, so friendly and chatty and made great cocktails. Our first visit we did not have any Thai money with us, so could not give him a tip, so asked if he was working the next day, but he was going to Phuket for a training day, so we made sure we went there the following day while he was working to give him a tip, as he could not do enough for us. While down there we ordered cheeseburgers as we had not had a chance to have lunch and they were one of the best we have had anywhere, and I can not understand the people who have said the prices are high here, maybe compared to some cheaper places on the streets, but compared to Australian bars, let alone resorts, they were cheap, and definetly worth every cent.
One thing we did not like, and that is my fault as I did not read the description, just thought I knew what I was ordering, like an ignorant tourist, the banana splits there are not like those here in Australia, but on the wall advertising them it descibes precisely what it is. To us a banana split is a banana cut down the centre with ice cream scoops and topping, cream etc, but the ones here are in a parfait glass with dried small bananas mixed in with the scoops of ice cream and cream. I did not like this, but I am sure that a lot of people would, and as I have said this was my fault not the resort or staffs.
The pool was so warm, and even when there were a few people there it was not crowded as it was a lovely large pool, and it was so nice standing at the edge looking at the gardens and the beach. The hammocks in the grounds were so comfortable, and the sea was like walking into a warm bath. The beach and sea even at 7 am were so inviting, no waves, just gentle ripples, I didn't want to get out of the sea, but did make the effort to go back to the pool. lol
The afternoon tea and drinks in the lounge was a nice way to finish up a day.
We didn't use the spa, although we were given a free milk bath for our anniversary, just couldn't find the time to fit it in.
The breakfasts were extensive, the pancake and egg stations were great, and the amount and quality of the food could not have been better.
We also used room service, and this too was cheaper than we had expected as we had read reviews about it.
We hope to be back here next year, and will be staying a lot longer. This is a place I would happily recommend to anyone.

Hello 'Merrilyn1617',

I am delighted to hear that you found so many areas of our resort to your liking; I have already shared your positive feedback with our dedicated team. Thank you for your suggestion in regards to our signage.

Please do let me know should when you plan to return so I can also make sure you have another great stay and get a ‘banana-split’ Australian style...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Very good, I will be back next year. Beach, swimming pool. The only thing is a little bit far away. I stayed 3nights, enjoyed the SPA, swimming pool, film. Breakfast is also very good. I like it. I went to night market, railay , PHI PHI.

• Stayed September 2012
Hello 'Angela0324',

I am delighted to see that you found everything to your liking. Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments and the two photos showing Malati pool and the lawn with everyone to read and see. We hope you will return in the near future!

singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Got a good deal and it turned out to be a very pleasent experience. Found odd that check in time is 3 PM and check out at 2 PM. However that did not prevent them from chking us in by 12:00 PM. Good breakfast. Nice big clean rooms. Very friendly staff. Lack of free internet was both a boon and bane. Has a good beach. Our room was next to the block that was being renovated, but fortunately there was no disturbance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KrabiSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Hello 'tieredTraveller’,

Thank you for your sharing your review with us and future visitors!

Just to clarify with the readers, our normal check in time is 3pm, and check out time is 12pm.
If guests arrive earlier, there may be a chance for us to accommodate, as well as providing check outs subject to availability. (Please note that standard fees may be applied for these services.)
With regards to internet, we offer complimentary wifi in the lobby, as well as internet access at the Link@Sheraton business center for free.
Overall, we are pleased that you had a memorable experience with us.

Dhaka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Chicken satay in the bar and breakfast were some of the delights. The view of the beach from our room existed but one needed to put on one's glasses to see it. The balcony was a nice touch to our room. The resort is a world unto itself but the small massage parlors outside the gate were great and cheap.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hello 'MiksAdventures’,

Thank you for your review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed our resort set within our lush and extensive gardens, as well as the Chicken and breakfast!

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have experience of staying with Sheraton Krabi quite a number of times, maybe, around ten times.
Being highly demanding it terms of spending vacations I find this hotel the best choice for those who seek fantastic beach, luxurious and lavish surroundings, fasinating location, good accomodation, and which is of utmost importance, the ambient of being welcome and at home, created by highly qualified, skilled and sincerely responsive, attentive staff.
I also recommend this hotel for those who want to get closer insight into wonderful Thai province, these warm and kind people.
To those who say that there is no nightlife in Krabi, I would say that is it not exactly like that: just take a taxi to Ao Nang (where night life is in full swing) or have a pleasant walk along the beach to beach bars, such as Naka Manda or Old Jamaika. And such easy access to night life combined with calm and relaxing atmosphere of the hotel makes it even better.
If you consider this hotel overpriced, ok, you have the right to say so, however, imagine how much it costs to keep a huge garden area of the hotel and numerous personnel! By the way, the hotel often offers good deals - all you need is to pick them up.
I will return to this hotel in the future, too, bringing my friends and relatives (I am absolutely sure I wil not be embarrassed because of the wrong advice;-))

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello 'AntonMoscow_2012',

Thank you for choosing return to stay with us, and for your loyalty to book with us for around 10 times!
We are pleased that you return for the warm people of Krabi, as well as our service and facilities and are confident that we will maintain our connection together in the future!

michael.longley@sheraton.com

Been to Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!