“I'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Check Inn Resort Krabi

Save Saved
You added Check Inn Resort Krabi to your Saves list
Check Inn Resort Krabi
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   197 Moo 2, Khlong Muang Beach, Nong Thale, Krabi Town 81000, Thailand   |
Ranked #11 of 13 hotels in Nong Thale
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“I'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

When we arrived in the Check Inn Resort Krabi we only planned on staying three nights. Not by accident our holiday stretched to 10 glorious days! (We even came back a day early from our stay at one of the local islands because we felt so "spoiled.")
The large, light, airy rooms were impeccable and the beds were great. Normally when we travel, my husband and I don't often bother with maid service but I have to say we took full advantage; the bathroom and the tiles sparkled and everything was so fresh and fragrant! Although we didn't use it much, the kichenette was really nice and having a fridge to keep our fruits and drinks cold was an added bonus.
The beach located across the street was beautiful and quiet, unlike the busy AoNang that we had just come from. It's a great place to get away from the crowds but still have access to plenty of good restaurants, bars and shops. It was wonderful coming in from the emerald, salty Andaman sea and hitting the crystal clear pool for a swim and a drink, then hanging out on the balcony before dinner.
But, what I have to say really made our stay at the Check Inn incredible was the personalized service. The manager, Christopher, spoke fluent English as well as 11 other languages. (I was a little skepical about this but I swear he greeted every person that walked through the door in their native tongue.) Despite the fact that we'd been in Thailand two weeks we were miserable picking up the Thai language and most of the other people in the service industry that we met were unable to speak English so fluently. I mean travel books help but to get the low down from a real person was great. Christopher patiently answered all our questions and never made us feel like we were a bother. He or Ann, another incredibly helpful person, arranged all our transportation, tours, and day trips for a very reasonable price. They even helped us make reservations for the next leg of our journey.
I would consider my husband and I to be "seasoned" travelers having been throughout North and South America, Europe and New Zealand but I have to say we have never had the personalized service like we did at the Check Inn Resort Krabi. It started to feel like home. We are not ones that typically go back to an area that we've been to but I have to say we have already discussed returning next year. We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Guangzhou, CHINA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We were intriqued by the Check Inn because of the large rooms and incredibly cheap rate, just $30 per night.. We wanted to visit Koh Hong and the beach the Check Inn is located near is just a 30 min boat ride to Koh Hong. So we decided to give it a try before moving on to koih ngai.

Echoing what we read in other reviews, the rooms are indeed huge and all come with a king and queen sized bed. You could easily put a family of 5 in one room, though we had booked two rooms so we would have two bathrooms as well.

The rooms were were in #304 and #314 both appear to have been remodeled very recently.They were spotless and included a microwave, larger refrigerator and sink. There was excellent selection of television channels and a theatre sound system if you need that kind of sound on your vacation. The beds were firm, clean and all the furniture was either new or refinished. One item of concern we noted was the unsanded sharp edges on the tiles leading out of the bathroom.. If you were to stub your toe when leaving the bathroom, the sharp tile edge could easily cut you.

The internet, unlike what some have written, worked fine for us. We had an iTouch and a laptop and both connected fine to a N standard router. The only thing we noted was that early evening, before people went out, things were much slower. At one point I ran a test on speedtest.net and came up with 1.2 mb download. So there is good connectivity at least during some parts of the day.

Breakfast was indeed simple. Just toast, coffee, juice and an egg, any style you want. If you need a big buffet or other full-service amenities like room-service, then head over to the sprawling Sheraton. $30 a night at the Check Inn buys a basic breakfast and you can get more eggs, add sausage etc. for 70 baht.

The pool has been written about as well. We actually went into the pool and checked it out. First, the twin baby pools are not filled with green water, but are lined in green tiles. This is probably a poor color choice since from the balconies it looks like the water is green. But on actually getting into the baby pool, the water appeared perfectly clear and clean.

The main swimming pool is indeed stained with old algae type stains. But there wasn't any algae in it when we swam in it. The water was perfectly clear and the stains on the tile felt like concrete. I think the whole pool needs to be drained and refinished. But we found the water very clean and clear. We checked our feet after walking on the curiously rough algae stain and there was nothing on our feet at all.

Finally, the only real disappointment I found with this property is the location. We timed a walk to the beach and it was 13 minutes going down the road and along the dirt road. When we came back we would go through the Sheraton and it took about 10 minutes.

We found a second Indian restaurant across the street, a 7 11 and other options, not to mention a nice restaurant on the beach. This is a seriously quiet and relaxed beach. Nothing like Ao Nong and the hubub there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I stayed in the hotel with my girl friend and another friend and we were first attracted by a very good special online offer. As the hotel re-openend after five years most taxi drivers did not know it, so it's best to ask to be dropped of at the Sheraton which is on the other sight of the street.
The best thing about the hotel's are the rooms which i would give seven stars if I could. They are 45m2 including tv, 2 queen size beds, a remote for all the lights, very good cable tv, air con etc., balcony, dolby suround system (bring usb stick with music) etc. it's the most spacious hotel room i have ever stayed at and about twice as big as the ones of the neighbouring Sheraton. There is also a kitchenette in the room which is perfect if you don't feel like going out and you just want to try a cheap instant soup or frozen food from seven 11 (which are very good btw). The staff is also incredibly friendly and welcoming. They have a little Gym and spa, fast wifi in every room and you get an okay breakfast at the restaurant next door. The pool is very big and was empty most of the time we were there.

The location is not perfect though. It is a 10 minute walk to the beach if you walk through the Sheraton property.. The beach is very good and not crowded at all. I recommend to rent a scooter or car to get around. All other facilities are in short walking distance (Seven 11, Restaurants, Massage, Travel agencies etc.). You can start the island trips from the beach so you dont need to go to Ao Nang to do that.

After all we stayed one night longer and we could have stayed forever. The spacious and comfy rooms were almost a disadvantage as it was actually heard to leave them...
I would definetly recommend that hotel to everyone who does not want or need to stay directly in a busy beach town.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

The rooms are amazing value at 999 Baht, clean, tidy and tasteful. The hotel is MILES from anywhere except for the up market Sheraton resort which is across the road. The breakfast was ok for what it was but it was just 2 small pieces of toast and a boiled egg. glass of OJ and an instant cofffee. We ate at the local restaurant (ganajanna or something like that)t which provided the breakfast. It was the worst meal I've had out in years, very expensive for Thailand and the quality was awful. The place seemed to be an indian speciallity restaurant but the Korma that I received was just cambell's condensed soup with extra salt, I returned it and of course they changed it for something that was much more expensive and almost as bad. DO NOT EAT AT THE RESTUARANT!
The hotel is miles from anywhere, difficult to find and in truth although the rooms were beautiful and cheap, our time and money would have been better spent elsewhere.
Please note that the wireless internet is regularly disabled by the staff so that they can listen to streamed music. The cardio equipement in the 'gym' is almost unusable and the management are aware of this but won't be improving it.

I would rather stay somewhere near the town/ao nang beach, it was very inconvenient to actually do anything and the hotel has nothing to do either. We needed the internet connection but we and everyone else was just lied to and fobbed off that it was just our computer, other people were told it was just there computer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I was surprised by the spaceousness and cleanliness of the hotel, big swimming pool, cozy rooms with little balcony and place to sit outside, a very comfortable bed. And an ever-helpful charming Austrian Manager... I wish I could have stayed longer! Will return! ingrid V.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Yokohama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

But I will write something, because I'd like this place to stay in business. First off, the size of the rooms are pretty incredible (I think they're all the same size?). Lots of space. Very clean. Cable tv with many English channels (something another hotel in Krabi lacked despite advertising cable tv). Pool is big enough to do decent laps, although it seems most people head out to the ocean on a clear day.

It's impressive because the hotel has only been open for 3 months, but all the amenities a guest could ask for are provided.

I actually had difficulty finding the place because it wasn't in Ao Nang where I expected it to be. Instead, it is in Kluong Mung (spelling?), which is the next beach town up from Ao Nang. For a quieter stay, the location was actually perfect. And I rented a scooter whenever I wanted to head into Ao Nang for grub and a beer. To give a driver directions, tell him it's across the street from the Sheraton.

Will definitely come back to the Check-Inn Krabi.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Check Inn Resort Krabi? Share your experiences!