“A gem in the South Downs!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A gem in the South Downs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

A friend of mine came down for the weekend and we wanted a nice afternoon meal in the country. I've lived in Brighton for many years but never eaten here so I suggested we all go there.

It was extremely busy when we arrived (due to the glorious sunshine) but we onlt had to wait 20 minutes to be seated.

The service from the waitress we had (Lynn) was superb, really charming and friendly. One of my friends is gluten intolerant but her dietary requirements were met without fail and they were extremely helpful in helping find the perfect meal.

I myself had the steak, which was possibly the nicest steak I've had for a long time! The price for everything was very reasonable (total bill came to about £80 between 5 of us, with a drink, main and dessert each).

This beautiful restaurant is complimented by it's beautiful surroundings and I'd question anyone to find a more scenic spot to grab some grub!

Thank you to everyone at the Devil's Dyke and a big thank you to Lynn as well for providing us with a perfect Sunday afternoon!

I shall be returning very soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

brighton
“Good pub grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Sunday afternoon as we weren't too far away. Didn't want anything too expensive.

Had to wait by the door to be seated for a few mins. Once at a table the waiter we had was really nice & attentive. Made an effort to chat to our daughter as well.

Food was nice, came in good time. I had beer battered mushrooms to start & then bbq chicken as my main. Nothing amazing but good pub grub which is what we were looking for.
Childrens menu is a good sized portion & lots of choice including healthy salmon & veg. bit annoying though as no prices on it. just says that for 2courses and a drink its a set price but when the bill came it was priced individually so if we'd know that we wouldn't have got her the fruit shoot drink (we had water with us already for her).

Overall its a nice place to go, lovely views and half decent food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Not left with "I want to come back feeling"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on a busy Saturday afternoon. We were seated and served drinks within about five minutes of arriving. My starter was the Calamari, which was cold and rather tasteless for the £5 it cost! My main was a Wild Boar burger, which sounded different, tasted slightly different, but didn't taste of much; It wasn't really that great and certainly not worth the £9, seeing as it came with a hollow bun and a few chips. Sadly, despite commanding views, this place is an overpriced touristy fast food joint. If it's value for money and good grub you're after, this isn't the place. Bring a picnic to the Dyke instead :)

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
“Good food - family friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Like the previous reviewer I can say we had good food - excellent service - they were very good with my little grand daughter. Would be good to visit on a good day and sit outside. It's dog friendly and popular with walkers. Good choice of ales. Would definitely go back and we visit Brighton a lot to see family.

Visited April 2013
“Good food, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Having read a lot of the reviews whilst actually sitting in the restaurant, I was surprised at their content. I visited on a Sunday lunchtime in mid-April, and it was pretty busy. The reception greeter was busy but acknowledged us quickly. We were seated within 5 minutes and were told our waitresses name, and that she would take our drinks order first.

The waitress was friendly, efficient and helpful. Because it was busy, the food took perhaps a little longer than I would have hoped, but not to the point where I got bored waiting. I had seared Duck breast, which was excellent. My dessert was Sussex Pond Pudding. It tasted nice, but it wasn't actually a genuine Sussex Pond Pudding, more an overturned Lemon Pie. The lack of authenticity disappointed me a little, but I suspect that the real thing is not something most people are prepared for (look it up!).

I found the service good. A couple behind me asked the waitress to take a photo of them, which she did gladly. Being a dog friendly pub, I thought a nice touch was the jar of dog treats on the bar. Not something I would have expected from a place that other reviewers have proclaimed to have bad service. I would happily visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere