“Rooms with the wow factor and outstanding service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort

You added Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort to your Saves list
Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   opp Chennaveli Church, State Highway 66 | Chethy PO, Chennaveli, Mararikulam 688530, India   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mararikulam
London
“Rooms with the wow factor and outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've just come back from the resort and while we were there there were only 4 other people staying at the same time which was rather surreal for such a big hotel. But we had an amazing experience. I've stayed in some wonderful hotels but the accommodation in this one really stands out. We were absolutely wowed by the deluxe villa which had a pool with a cascade and the biggest hotel bathroom I've ever seen.

The whole time we were looked after by our 'Villa Master', Jerin Samuel and he couldn't have been more attentative and efficient, organising candlelit dinners by our pool and making sure we always had everything we needed.

We were somewhat surprised that the bar didn't serve alchohol (they have yet to get their licence) and we could only drink in our villa. But the quality of the cooking made up for that. We had some superb meals in the main restaurant and while we were there they opened the seafood restaurant for the first time - we had delicately spiced and perfectly cooked fish and prawns.

The beach was quite wild and dramatic - a previous viewer complained that it was littered with dead trees - well yes, there are some coconut palm trunks half buried in the sand but that all adds to the beauty - see photos. We also loved the huge pool and our spa back and neck massages were very firm and effective.

One complaint - the pillows were horribly hard but when we asked for softer ones it took just minutes for the wonderful Jerin to arrive with some. So just ask.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a deluxe villa!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel buildings, rooms, grounds and beach are excellent. The location is amazing, you feel as though you are in a world undiscovered by tourists - it is peaceful, the views of the beach, sea and walking in the local area are - all feel as though you might be one of the few people to have travelled there.

The welcome and check-in was a fairly average 4 star experience. The rooms/cottages are stunning, however. The bedroom, seating area and bathroom are huge and very well-appointed. The terrace has a table and chairs in addition to your own sun loungers. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The only negative side to the hotel is the food. In theory the variety and choice at the buffet at breakfast and dinner looked great. However, they constantly ran out of fresh fruit and hot items in the mornings, put too much sugar in their juices and service could be a little hit and miss. The same experience occured with the buffet at dinner and we eventually started ordering from the a la carte menu (although you really had to give them a few hours notice of what you would like to eat). When ordering a la carte the food was substantially better but still not five star standard. They do not have a licence for the sale of alcohol and while not big drinkers we would liked to have had a glass of wine with dinner on the odd evening.

The staff at the beach were great (although why the hotel has insufficient sun loungers is difficult to understand) and made you feel looked after and very welcome. The complementary boat trip to see dolphins and the fishermen for 45 minutes was great fun and exciting to be in a working wooden fishing boat. Taking a bike to explore the local area was good fun and the massages at the spa were very good. Be cautious about having a manicure/pedicure as they are not really geared up for the experience you would receive from your usual five-star resort. The large pool is a real bonus and the staff were very helpful with towels and toiletries when showering afterwards and so on.

The only other let downs were the non-a/c gym (despite boasting it had a/c), no towels and bottles of water in the gym and the slow check-out with incorrect items added to our bill.

Finally, we can normally cope with some bad quality evening entertainment but the Carnoustie's was truly shocking. The same gentleman (not sure if from the US or Europe) played the same songs (Lady In Red, etc,), very badly on a sax accompanied by a tape machine. It really started to annoy us by the third night of our stay.

Other than the complaints above, this hotel is still worth visitng because its imperfections are easily forgotten when enjoying the overall experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was there for two weeks, and must say that it was one of the best holidays ever. I have really enjoyed the beautiful views of the beach, amazing sunsets, the flower garden and the villa that we stayed in was fabulous, very spacious and beautifully designed.
The restaurant had a wide variety of food, and I liked that it had so many healthy options. The stuff members were always very polite and helpful.
The ayurverda Spa has been a life time experience, and the doctors there have very helpful!
Overall the New Year and Christmas days were very special, and the food and party was awesome. We had an absolutely great time, would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Southend-on-Sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What is not to like at this fantastic resort? A bit difficult to find (took our driver three times to question local people before we got there) but that's no bad thing as it was so quiet, so peaceful, so beautiful when we got there. We came as a family group with one elderly lady and were immediately offered the use of a golf cart whenever we needed it as the grounds are huge and the distance from our villas to the main complex quite long. But the complimentary upgrade to private villas - each with their own private pool - was a wonderful gesture and much appreciated. We had villa 703 at the far end of the complex and it was magnificent. The resort has only recently opened and this perhaps explains why certain features were either not available or not yet in place (the second restaurant, bar, beach bar for example) and why the service in the restaurant was good, but not consistent. At most meals we had to ask for silly things like cutlery, butter for the bread, plates for the sweet (it is all buffet service). Don't get me wrong, all things were provided - but you had to ask for them, and that should not happen if the staff are alert and as attentive as the reception staff who were perfect. I would like to go back in, say, one year to see the place fully operational and with these little issues sorted. Then the resort would be in the top star category in which it aims to be. I make these comments not as a criticism - merely feedback to the management of this fine resort that I would visit again anytime.

Room Tip: The bigger villas have their own pools, but are furthest away from the restaurant and main pool. Bi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CHD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

A true Beach Resort experience of my week long stay at Carnoustie in Kerala. Me and my family had a most amazing holiday ever.

1. First Impression - We were greeted with a very warm and a traditional welcome ritual by the
staff, so apt for the culturally rich country. You just fall in love with the reception and the
lobby.
It is beautiful and a spacious resort with very well manicured lawns and beautiful landscape.
There are just 32 Villas in all spread over 25 acres of land. You could just be yourself and
not come across any other guest for many hours, "Privacy at its BEST".

2. Rooms - We were booked in the so called base villa "AKUND" which by the way was much
luxurious than many top end Villas and Hotels that I have stayed in. The deck with the lily
pool was a great way to spend some lovely time reading and listening to music lying on the
plush loungers.The bathrooms are a dream come true for anybody from Europe since the
size is as big as our Sitting room with all the modern amenities and comforts. The rooms are
practically breathing the natural environment which compliments the impressively manicured
landscape. Everything is already thought of before you even require it, the Bose dock station
for the Ipods, free WI-FI, TV etc. The high roof/ceiling is very traditional and typical to the
local architecture,which is sure to catch your attention.

3. IDA Restaurant - The most expansive structure in Bamboo I have ever seen. The massive
restaurant made totally of bamboo is an architectural marvel by itself.

The food is "PAR EXCEL-LANCE" and the service is swift yet very friendly. I really
recommend the buffets and A-la Cart. There are plentiful and varied in choices, though I
recommend the local cuisine which is rich in flavours and spices.The breakfast buffet is all
you could hope for with an assortment of fruits, yogurts, pastries,juices and shakes all the
way up to omelets made to order. The breads are baked fresh by the in house bakery which
also makes delicious crispy cookies. Interestingly, the Chef graciously obliged to give me
lessons of how to prepare a few Indian dishes. It is that "Personal" touch that I carried back
with me.

4. Swimming Pool and the "BEACH" - were the two places we spent most of our time at. The
Beach was fantastic with a very friendly lifeguard - Saji, to look after every single detail
besides keeping a watchdog eye on all the guests who ventured into the beautiful ocean.
The service from the restaurant was also very quick both at the beach and the pool.
Feeling truly 'SUN-KISSED' with a perfect holiday tan. :)

5. Ayurveda Spa- the place I really felt like an Indian Queen.
The treatments are client specific and totally natural. The use of local herbs grown specially
on the property, traditional oils and ubtans make these treatments well worth it. An in house
Ayurvedic Doctor, Yoga Instructor and experienced therapists all make the overall
experience WONDERFUL.
The environment at the Spa is very serene and relaxing. By far one of the "BEST" Spa
facility I have been to.

6. Activities : Even though the resort is quite, tranquil and a private paradise we also enjoyed
the fun activities like cycling in and around (local Village treks) the resort. Interestingly we
were shown 2 local enchanting dances -Kathakalli and the Bharatnatiyam !! The
Entertainment hut with a captivating collection of movies, indoor games, Library kept all of us
occupied.
During our eventful stay we were fortunate to be audience to a Violinist Ms Victoria Balan
from the London School of Music and Mr Victor with his flute and the Saxophone.

This was my first visit to Kerala and Carnoustie Beach Resort, but definitely will not be my last. Everyone was so wonderful, professional and caring. I felt very fortunate to have picked this resort as our holiday destination.

ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED !!!!!

Room Tip: They have Villas with their private pools, next time I'm going for that !!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
northern NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent two glorious days at this wonderful new property that undoubtedly is amongst the finest beach resorts in India. The sole reason I do not give this is 5 stars is listed in cons below.
Pros:
1. Magnificently landscaped property with fabulous villas- the design is just superb and the bathrooms have to win some sort of award- definitely amongst the finest resort bathrooms I have ever experienced anywhere in the world.
2. Truly spectacular beach, as in world class. The water was bathwater warm with big waves and a totally unspoiled tropical ambiance with only fishermen as company (along with the few resort guests). Suberb service on the beach, along with full service food- I just loved it. My long walks with only the fishermen as company and the lovely fishing boats will not soon be forgotten.
3. Great pool but when you have a beach like this, why bother.
4. The three ladies in my party tried the Ayurvedic spa and said it was quite good, but nothing amazing. However, having a full service Ayurvedic spa in a place like this was fairly unique.

Cons:
1. No Liquor license - the fact that this is not mentioned at the time of booking or anywhere on their website is bad.
2. Only one restaurant is open even though it has a pretty diverse and extensive menu. However, they talk about three restaurants on their website and this is misleading. I understand the second restaurant will open soon, but no sign of when they will get their liquor license and open the pool or beachfront bar. Staff service in the restaurant as we found common in Kerala is not up to the standards of a first class luxury resort yet, but they are very nice.
3. Very expensive- starting at USD 500 per night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked this hotel with my eye on the ayurvedic spa centre that they promote, so much advertising was put into this aspect of the resort that I assumed this must be their main selling point……. I was wrong.

Summing up this hotel is no easy task, there are so many high points but equally as many low points. It seems fair to categorise into lows and highs – and let the reader decide for themselves:
Lows:
1) The ayurvedic spa was a complete waste of time, the facilities were great but the treatments were dreadful. The massages consisted of being gently covered in oil – this is by no means a deep tissue massage, being put in a non-steamed steam room with the odd mosquito thrown in too and then told to have a shower. My mother and I booked two treatments each that should have lasted 1hr 50 mins, instead we bustled in and out within 1hr 30mins……..whilst charging western prices! Furthermore the massage was conducted by two ladies (not advertised) more annoyingly was that it seemed to double up as a training course for one of the junior masseuses – they spent the time talking, giggling and giving inconsistent techniques – so my left side of my body was being pinched whilst the right hand side was being ineffectually stroked. When we enquired about the ayurvedic practices the so called ‘doctor’ was able to talk the talk and we were optimistic……. I can confidently say that I received the worst massage I have ever had (Both my mother and I enjoy travel and we search for the ultimate spa experiences – Hyatt Park in Goa has the best spa and massages that I have ever come across).

We told the management of our awful treatments – this was met first with disbelief/irritation. Then on departure we were told that indeed the spa was poor but they would improve it by the time we returned…….and urged us to write a good review on Tripadvisor – I felt this was extremely cheeky…… especially since they at no time offered a refund or discount.

2) The hotel massively over charges – the resort is not complete. It does not have a gym, alcohol licence, pool bar, beach bar, business centre or yoga classes.

3) The beach is eroded and will only deteriorate….. if you wish to walk out of the private beach then beware …….. the local fishermen routinely use the beach as a place to defecate – lovely!

4) Some of the staff were excellent (especially the young man who seemed to be head waiter in the restaurant) but overall they are undertrained – it seemed very difficult to get the same drink twice – the lack of consistency was really annoying.

Highs:
1) The Villas are beautiful - shame that there is not enough water to fill the bath-tub though.

2) The Chef is very talented and the Christmas Eve meal was fantastic. The drinks manager also produced some wonderful non-alcoholic drinks.

3) We went on the back-waters day drip (in a former rice-boat) the hotel helped us arrange this, and the day was wonderful.

Overall
We had a great time (minus the spa), but we will not return. We were not bothered by the lack of alcohol – but other guests were. Also there did not seem much for families or kids to do – again this did not affect my mother and I – but we would not bring our extended family to such a resort.
Potentially this hotel could be great – but they really need to produce what they advertise online.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!