“Dishonest way of doing business” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel El Colibri
Calle Pedro Clisante 141 | El Batey, Sosúa, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 32 hotels in Sosua
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
“Dishonest way of doing business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

-The prices they quote on the internet are not the prices they handle at check-in reception. They put up cheap prices to lure you in just in order to charge you more once there
-They don’t honor reservations.
-You can order a double room but you will only get 1 breakfast included.
-Needs some serious restoration.
- Paying with credit card gets you a 16% surcharge
In short they always want to put you in a more expensive room and try to charge you extra for even the most obvious things.
In my case the cheaper room I booked/reserved they did not have available. All of them had some kind of remodeling going on. The one category up rooms they showed, well they needed some restoration. Meaning I ended 2 categories up (50 % more expensive). Needless to say they were scruples enough to charge all these (their planned mistakes) to me. It’s not an accident it’s the way their way of marketing the hotel and getting in customers. I only stayed one day (instead of my planned 46 days) and found myself some more honest place in Sosua where they respect their customers to spend the other 45 days.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
vividm, Marketing Agency at Hotel El Colibri, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
We are sorry, about your experience. We have made quite a few changes, to our pricing policies, and some issues that we previously had. Please contact us directly, to see how we can discuss another visit and remedy your past experience.

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We will be back in September!
The attention to detail and hospitality gave it a B&B feel
Huge refreshing pool and well kept grounds
Great security (not that it was necessary)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the response, and for being one of our valued customers! Please let us no, if there is anything we can do to continue to make your stay with us enjoyable.
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was my 5th or 6th time in Sosua and I have always enjoyed my stay, usually in slightly less expensive places than Hotel Colibri. I decided to stay here because I was taking my in-laws who had never stayed in a hotel before. What a traumatic first experience for them. We had reserved three nights. They were to stay in a Standard King Plus room and my wife and I were going to be in an apartment so that we could prepare lunches there. We had paid for breakfasts and dinners ahead of time.

Upon arrival.....the surprise....both of us were put in rooms with two small queen sized beds. The apartment wasn't available because it was in such bad shape. Then we were both moved to other rooms. Our room did not have air conditioning as paid for.....They knew the air conditioner wasn't functioning I learned later after two sweaty nights. The third night and our third room, we finally had air conditioning. Throughout the stay it was all our fault......."the air conditioner is fine..."

Then....first night....."you didn't pay for breakfasts and dinners included." Upon revisiting the bill....they acknowledged that we had.....but they weren't going to honor the dinner portion because they didn't do that any more....even though they had confirmed through e-mails, etc....

In the end they attempted to charge us for all the breakfasts, even though they were indeed included. The money was not a huge issue, but the tremendous deception and dishonesty were egregious and very unpleasant for a three day vacation. Everyday it was something else and each worker blamed the others. No one would take responsiblity. The owner is nowhere to be seen an not available. In the end, I left with them essentially stealing money from me. The worker said that she couldn't refund because she would have to pay the difference.

The grounds are beautiful and the potential is there.....but I would not risk it again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ft. Washington, Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is my first time staying at Hotel El Colibri, and it will not be my last. I was a member of Soua Bay Resorts, but the government closed them down. A friend recommended Hotel El Colibri and I'm glad he did. The grounds are just as they are advertised, the personnel are excellent, my personal thanks to Will, and Rominia, they made my stay an excellent one.

Room Tip: If you are able to afford it ask for the 1/2 bedroom apt, next time I will, the next choice would be...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I wanted to take a few minutes and Thank you all for making my stay wonderful last week. Your hotel staff was extremely friendly, warm and inviting and a appreciate the time they all took to help me. From the security guard, maids, Mr. Will, and all the ladies and thier wonderful smiles in the restaurant. They all made me feel like family. I will be back for a visit and I look forward to seeing the planned renovations.

Room Tip: This was perfect for me wanting some quiet time. With Cuba Libre Bar across the street it made for a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed in El Colibri a few weeks ago. The service was very slow and bad, most of the staff acted like they didn't care. They never had everything offered on the menu. They have in house landury services and one of my shirts came back with holes all over it. The only answer I got in Spanish was the lady said it was her dayy off and she wasn't working. The problem was never resolved. The hot water was broke in the bathroom sink. I had to shave with cold water and there was never any intentions to fix it. I also was getting a power surge from one of the plugs that was so strong it shocked me when I used my computer. I was told just to try another outlet. The pool was out of service at least 4 days of my 7 day trip. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Arranged a last minute trip by phone from Santiago DR. The room was very basic near the pool with 2 beds, TV and a/c.Also has A small patio area with a pool and restaurant view.
The room was very cheap but reflected its condition. The hotel has a decent restaurant with a all you can eat Asian night. It also has a weekly seafood special but I did not try it. The good is the location, a short motochonco ride to all the action and beach. It is also a walkable distance to clubs, restaurants and local tiendas for water and snacks.The bad is the mosquitoes which eat you alive. Management is very laid back and the rooms are motel 6 on a bad day.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool and restaurant are the best location.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel El Colibri? Share your experiences!