“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Sosua
Iqaluit
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I had a 2 week all inclusive trip booked at another resort but ended up staying here the whole time. You can have friends hangout with you on the resort all day or overnight no extra charge, the locals just have to give their id to the security to be allowed on the resort with you. Staff were awesome. Rooms were clean and were a great price the longer you stay the cheaper it is. We ended up getting a suite with a kitchen and fridge which was nice we cooked a lot of food. There is a grocery store just down the road where you can get most things and a few more down the road with a bigger selection. The owners were super friendly and willing to help accommodate you in anyway. They have free internet which was awesome. I'm definitely going to stay here next time I go down to Dominican. Love this Place.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite they are a bit nicer. They have a stove and fridge and also have an internet cable.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have stayed at El Colibri several times and every time I am extremely pleased with my vacation. Most of the time you have the pool all to yourself so you feel like you are in your own private place! Very easy to make yourself feel at home!!! But even when there are other people around, the pool is so big so there is always plenty of space to swim and plenty of seating available and it never feels crowded. The place is very quiet and relaxing. The rooms are very clean and spacious. (We had air conditioning and hot water every time we went to use it.) The staff are friendly and treat all guests as if they are VIP guests. The food at the restaurant is delicious and reasonably priced and provides an excellent variety. The beach is about a 15 minute walk but its a nice walk with lots to see along the way and you can jump in the ocean or pool to cool off if you are too hot after walking...OR if you feel lazy you can always get a motoconcho for $2 or a taxi for $6.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get the deluxe room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
The Rustbelt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I just spent two weeks at El Colibri, and enjoyed every moment. Steve and Monique are wonderful hosts. The staff are without exception friendly and helpful, and are very honest and look out for their guests (for example, housekeeping wouldn't take the money I had left out in my room for a tip for them, I had to give it to them as I saw them, and really looked out for me another time when they picked up something I had left lying around in an absent-minded moment and had locked it up and returned it to me when I had noticed it missing). Every meal I had here was a very good value, from the breakfasts to the buffet to the the BBQ. They also accommodated pretty much any request I had seen any of the guests make.

The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained and the pool is huge.

I read a couple of complaints about the distance of the hotel from the beach to town. It is a bit far from the beach and town (maybe a 10-15 minute walk). I prefer this, as it is a much quieter than the other hotels I have stayed at in town, as it is removed from some of the loud music and the motorcycles, and it was much easier to get a good night's sleep here than any other hotel in the area I have visited. Even so, the beach is only a safe 10-15 minute walk away. Always plenty of hot water, towels, air conditioner worked flawlessly, lots of cable tv channels if you are for some reason inclined to spend your DR vacation watching TV in your room. Wireless worked well most of the places but I was occasionally disconnected when I was in my room.

Now, this is not an all inclusive five-star resort or anything like that - I personally would never go to an all-inclusive resort only to mingle with the same type of people I can find at home - but I found it to be excellent value for the money and will return in the near future. My five-star rating reflects that.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get a standard plus room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Flin Flon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I have stayed at the Hotel El Colibri 3 separate times over the last 3 years and have enjoyed my stay immensely. The rooms are clean, simple and are very affordable. I have been going to the Dominican for the last eight years and made 12 trips to the DR. I have stayed at all-inclusive's and at many smaller hotel across the Dominican Republic to know that this hotel is perfect for me. I truly love that it has a huge pool and love that the hotel is small so you are not bothered by the noise of an all-inclusive hotel. The restaurant is also affordable and offers a wide variety of comfort foods as well as Dominican dishes. This might not be the hotel for you if you enjoy all-inclusive atmosphere and want grand lavish rooms. If you are travelling on a budget and want to truly experience the Dominican Republic without all the fluff, this hotel is a safe bet. Monique and Steven along with their staff are very friendly and accommodating. Because it is a small hotel you can't help but feel welcomed and that you are apart of their family. The beach is a likely a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel and can be very hot, though it may seem crazy, you can take a "motoconcho" or motor taxi outside the hotel. It is not a long journey to the beach by motorbike and very affordable if you are adventurous. I will admit the first time can be scary but Sosua is small and quite safe to travel this way on motorbike. Downtown Sosua is also a five minute walk and you can enjoy all the local restaurants and nightlife. If you are a seasoned traveller and want a clean, safe, affordable place to lay your head then Hotel El Colibri is a great place to start your Dominican paradise adventure!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

El Colibri looks fine if you search on the internet for a hotel, but it is located at the far end of Sosua, away from all the restaurants you have in the center, they write that the beach is very close but the beach of Sosua is almost 2 miles from the hotel, much to far to walk by temperatures over 85F, a motorbike taxi is just $1 but it is very dangerous as they all drive as idiots. The rooms are just average, for the price they advertise you don’t get a room with ac and for the safe you have to pay a deposit. Furniture is not old but is old fashion style, not what you expect in a hotel what it calls himselfs a „resort“. The garden and pool is nice but a pitty that older single man who found a girls for a hour are also in the pool and having their „fun“ .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Stony Plain Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

As the title states home away from, we have stayed here many times and we would return in a heart beat. Monique and Steve are great people, they try there best to keep
the hotel top notch, prices are kept low as they know most people are like you and I
and there are only so many dollars to go around. The staff, well they are great..simple as that.
I have wrote many reviews, trust me there are many hotel owners who hate me
and i don't care, I only call them as i see them, and the Colibri is a hotel where you probably should pay more but they try to keep there prices low for you and I so when in Sosua give these people your business as you won't be sorry......

John and Joan from Canada

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Based on the recommendation of a friend I decided to stay at El Colibri even though I felt it was further away from party central. I took a tour of the hotel on my last visit in February and was immediately impressed with the Standard Plus type of rooms, the grounds which were very well maintained, really just beautiful surroundings. Additionally the large sized pool that you can actually do laps in, the security and privacy and most significantly the sincere and welcoming feeling that you get from Steven and Monique made me decide to give this hotel a chance. I wasn't disappointed and plan to stay there again on my next visit. The bed in my room was so great to sleep in I practically had to pry my female guest from the mattress. Though I didn't take advantage of it, they have scooters on site that you can rent and a Spanish language school. The restaurant serves a decent breakfast and lunch and they are actively working on upgrading the menu. I happily volunteered to try out some of the new dishes. If you visit Sosua you owe it to yourself to check this place out.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel El Colibri? Share your experiences!