“Who writes these reviews??” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topacio Azul Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Topacio Azul Resort to your Saves list
Topacio Azul Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Dr. Alejo Martinez 1 | El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
“Who writes these reviews??”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

We returned from our holiday on March 21st. We have travelled everywhere but really enjoy the dominican, we take two vacations a year and one is always here.

I had been reading some reviews before I left and I should know better than to listen to what others say but I did. Let me tell you it was the first time in my life that I tried not only once but twice to change my hotel. Sunquest would not allow it and I am glad they didn't. This hotel was fabulous. Lets remember for one minute that we are travelling to a third world country if you want the Ritz go to the Ritz. Yes there were a lot of stairs but there is also an elevator, and yes the room did smell a litle musty but come on, the temperature is in the 30's with a humidty level close to 40. The staff was the best Carlos at the front desk could do anything. We had a beautiful ocean view room on the main floor. We left our maid some gifts that I had brought and always had a fully stock mini fridge and clean towels everyday. Santos and Andy at the pool bar were great they were even making me drinks that were not on the menu. The food was great wether it be at the buffet or at the al a carte restaraunts. Saturday at the buffet was seafood and I never saw my boyfriend happier, lobster, shrimp, calamari, and all kinds of fish, they also had a fireworks show after the entertainment. The entertainment, that has to be the hardest work group of people just trying to make everyone happy, they should be giving a hand of applause. The ground we beautiful and the only bugs I saw was a geco that came to visit on our balcony. I always get sick when I am away and I wasn't sick once and never heard of anyone getting sick. It is common sense you must be careful what you eat and lets face it the rum will eventually make you sick.

We had a very small beach area so we spent most days at the public beach where you have to rent your chairs but for a full day of lunch and drinks was $12.00 for two. The pool was beautiful but I didn't travel that far to use the pool so didn't really use it.

All in all it was a wonderful time, met some very nice people and would definately reccommend this hotel to friends or anyone who can handle the stairs. We will surely go back here

I have attached a couple of photos of the room and hotel anyone wanting anymore or any questions can contact me at Jameus72@hotmail.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

This could be the worst vacation I have ever had. What "four star" hotel tells you not to drink the water? The food was terrible, service poor, A/C broken, and the electricity goes off every 11 minutes. There are so many nicer beaches and hotels in the Caribbean. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY on this one!

Stayed January 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

Positives-

We stayed in an Oceanview Room and the view was gorgeuos. The food was good in the Ala Carte restaurant, loved the Pasta. weather was great. Was at the resort the same time as other guest and did not get sick.

Negatives-

Not for those with disabilities, lots of steps since built on a cliff. If you go to the Italian restaurant, be prepared to wait... our food took over 1 hour.

Overall a good experience, but would not go back due to the volume of steps.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

This was our first trip to anywhere sunny. We had nothing to compare it to and so we had average expectations. Our expectations were met and then some! The overall impression was that this was a very clean resort. The food was great, with a LOT OF VARIETY! The a la carte dining was also exceptional, specifically the Italian and Mexican restaurants of which the staff were very attentive and kept the libations flowing.
We felt safe in this resort as at all hours there was a person manning the lobby and other entrances.
The entertainment, most of which was provided by the already hard working staff members of the hotel, was wonderful. After a long day of work and rehearsals, these people worked even harder to provide over an hour's worth of singing and dancing. Some guests might take this for granted as most people do not know how hard entertainers/hotel staff members work.
This resort was very suitable for couples and groups of travellers. We wouldn't necessarily recommend it to those with children unless the children are able to entertain themselves easily. A trip to Cabarete would definitely be recommended for those with children as the beach is more like the "Sandbanks" and the pools are more suitable for children. But for us, it was a wonderful holiday and we would go back to the resort and send our friends and family there in an instant! For an artist's rendition of this fabulous holiday please follow this link to www.feedthebeardesign.com/dr

Toronton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

WONDERFUL HOTEL!!I am from Toronto Canada, and just got back from a 14 night all inclusive trip to this hotel and I was frightened to take a chance on this resort due to some of the terrible reviews I had read on this website 2 days prior to my departure. I figured I would chance it anyways and am very pleased with my vacation in Sosua. I am shocked at some of the things people said about this hotel and most importantly about the food and the staff. This hotel was beyond my expectations, the food was wonderful, very fresh and full of variety, the staff were above average in terms of pleasantness and being as helpful as they could be. I went on this trip alone and felt very comfortable and safe at this resort. The rooms are a bit dim in terms of lighting but people must realize the availability of power in these countries cannot be compared to that of Canada or the USA. There were a few power outages that only lasted 30 seconds at the very most, nothing to ruin someone's vacation. My room was always very neat and tidy and my maid always stocked my fridge with bottled water, beer and pop. I always had fresh towels and the hotel staff were always ensuring I had everything I needed in my room. The nightlife at this resort is much to be desired for someone my age, 27, however there are nightclubs very nearby to the resort to visit if you are looking for a little fun. They did have shows nightly and a great band, but that wraps up around 11pm so after that you need to entertain yourself. The weather was great and the beaches as well, daily snorkeling, kayaking and scuba-ing if you wish! I can not say anything bad about this resort and will for sure consider going back there again. Again the staff were wonderful and the other vacationers were very pleasant as well and I made some great friends there. I did not develop food poisoning nor did I see any critters in my room so I would advise to NOT listen to these other reviews as you would be selling yourself short if you miss out on this beautiful hotel and the warmness its staff members offer all their guests! From very pleased in Toronto Ontario Canada!

Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2006

We were a party of 13 adults...and guess what 9 of us got very ill..When we approached front desk regarding this they said this is the first they heard about it..We needed to see the doc and some or our bills were 500us. So when we approached the sunquest host the next day serval people overheard conversation and they started coming forward...More the 3/4 of the resort were sick or had been..But the resort keeps it quiet and do not sanatize very well..
The first floor ocean view the sewage backed up into the rooms so they had to re route people to other floors but did not explain why and what was going on.. The food was ok for a foreign country but you had to be careful on what you ate because didn't now whether or not it was cooked. We had to continulsy go to the front desk for our bar to be stocked. The view of the beach is awesome...the resort in general is beautiful but if you are planning on going to have a good time forget it cause trust me you will get sick and it is awful your trip is ruined...and they will not pay on bit of attention to the situation and this sickness has been going on for a long time and nothing is being done about it
So travelers beware of Sousa Bay Club

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

Let me start by saying i have been reading the reviews of this resort for the past 4 months and was put off totally by all the negativity. The ten of us were at Sosua from March 10-17th.
Once we arrived at the hotel, we were put in an ocean view room which was absolutely beautiful , had a wonderful view, had no sign of mold or musty smells and was purely heavenly.
The food at the a'la carte restaurants was terrific/ i recommend the italian which was first class all the way. The buffet restaurant was first class as well/ the only problem was that the coffee was so good that it disappeared quickly. The beach bar was excellent for a quick burger.
The drinks in the resort were adequate and once we tipped the bartenders on the first day, they knew our names and wouldn't stop pouring for the entire week.

Take the trip to Cabarete--it was well worth the day--you have all the amenities of the Azzuro club as you do of Sosua. Watch the waves , they will throw you as they did a member of our group.

My final comment is to those negative reviews posted by those who are not used to life in the caribbean. You are there for a week, make the most of it and stop complaining. Dont expect much and you will receive a pleasant suprise.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Topacio Azul Resort? Share your experiences!