“Avoid this place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Topacio Azul Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Topacio Azul Resort to your Saves list
Topacio Azul Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Dr. Alejo Martinez 1 | El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Sosua
Santo, Texas
“Avoid this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel used to be the Sosua Beach Resort, but they aparently needed to start over again. And they probably will need to do that again in the near future. First of all: the architect of this hotel likes stairs. Wherever you want to go, you need to walk stairs. Lots of stairs. The pools are small and when we got there a bit dirty: filled with pastic cups and stuff.
On arrival the booking system was out of order, as was the machine that generates the digital roomkeys. As a backup system for the latter problem, they had a pile of keys behind the reception. Unsorted. And although the hotel was quiet and the receptionist didn't have much work, it never came to her mind to sort them out.
The rooms as well as the beds are nice. There is no wifi availlable in the rooms.
But since this is an all-inclusive hotel, there is another aspect I need to take into consideration: the food. There is a word for it: dogfood. They managed to put the same limitted amound of dogfood on the table every breakfast and every dinner. So the bread didn't even qualify for the ducks by the end of the week.
On departure, they still hadn't fixed their booking system so they asked me to wait so they could sort things out. But since I had seen the receptionists picking their noses for the last three days, I didn't feel like waiting - especially since we were travelling with a baby. Then they decided it was all ok if we just payed 450 dollars, which I refused since I booked the hotel for 375. After I asked the receptionist tried to **** me, he refused to speak to me anymore, so we left.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Resort itself is gorgeous, the standard room however could use some upgrading, the bathrooms need work and they need to invest in wash cloths. I only got them 2-3 days out of my 7 day stay, the lights kept going out in the bathroom as though the circuits were overloaded and the water in the tub wouldn't drain properly.
The staff receives plenty of English speaking people everyday for them not to speak English, it should be a requirement since the locals are not staying there everyday. The grounds are beautiful and well kept and the staff is very pleasant for the most part, they tend to you if you need anything except having visitors, seemed to be a double standard for the men to bring the local women to their rooms for overnight stay but as soon as my group of friends asked for one of the local guys to come to her room she was told that he had to pay $35 even though he was only going to be there a couple of hours. After we left we were told by another guest that all we had to do was him to the side gate and she could have just brought him in!
The ride from the airport is $25 and its only like 15 mins away, the resort should invest in a shuttle bus to and from the airport and I feel they will get the money invested in the transportation by the increase in guest. They also only have WiFi in the lobby and that too should be upgraded to reach the rooms since we have grown accustomed to keeping in contact with social networks and apps that require WiFi, it was an inconvenience to have to leave the room to go to the lobby to send out a text or to contact anyone while there.
The food could also use some upgrading, seems like they served the same thing over and over again, chicken and pork was on the menu more than I cared for. A little variety and some spices would go a long way.
The staff helped us to get around, Manni, Ramon, Franklin the photographer, Alexandria, Juana, Carmen the bartenders, Maria in the dinning room and others whose name escape me were all very helpful and spoke pretty decent English. It was only right to give them a nice tip at the end of our stay.
The locals are all friendly and if you ask for Jose Gonzales he can help you find out where to tour and get you in contact with a fabulous taxi driver that will take you around and wait for you to take all the pics you want and bring you back safely.
Like I said they upgraded the name but it still could use some work, the few things I mentioned would go a long way in me recommending this resort to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were staying there for 2 weeks Dec/Jan and then went back for 3 weeks Feb/March.
Both times were wonderful as always. The staff makes you feel like family and will do anything that is possible to accomodate you. I even paid a few times to bring in my friends children for the day and the day pass was only $15.00. The view is breathtaking and Sousa beach is a wonderful super fun beach. The maid service was bang on, always had clean towels, sheets, the mini-fridge restocked and if you didn't have something all you had to do was ask and there it was.
Yes the hotel is quiet right now as they are working (and doing a great job ) on getting it back to they way it was before. All things take time and we completely understand that and frankly loved the lack of people it made you feel like you had your own resort.

The room was lovely we stayed in the junior suite in the deluxe side, the king size bed is the best, lots of pillows a pull out couch (that we never used) a jaccuzi on the balcony. Ceiling fan as well as your AC. Coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and board, TV with working remote.
The maid always knocked before coming in and if we were not ready she came back when we told her to.

All in all we love staying here and will be returning hopefully in the summer, but definately in the winter.
See you all there!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Garnerville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was recommended to this hotel by a friend who works there and had one terrible experience after another. First of all, they promised me a room with an ocean view and a jacuzzi and the room they brought me to was dirty and with no jacuzzi. Terrible! Next, they showed me the rooms with jacuzzis that hadn't been cleaned probably for months - dead bugs in the jacuzzi and an overall nightmare. There were probably less than a total of 20 people in the whole resort and I asked if I can bring in the sister of my girlfriend who is 6 years old. The person at the front desk told me that under 6 was free. I traveled 45 minutes each way to bring the girl back and when we arrived he said that he made a mistake and that under 6 months was free! He was now asking me to pay the equivalent of $35 for a 6 near old and a 11 year old to spend 4 hours of the afternoon in the pool - the EMPTY pool.
When checking out I came up to the desk at 1:45 and they told me that check-out time was at 1:00. The hotel was still empty and nobody was coming in and they insisted I pay an additional $8 for the extra 45 minutes. When I asked for the manager the jerk at the front desk said that nobody was there and that he was in charge. 2 minutes after that I saw one of the owners of the hotel coming out of the back office. Room service picked a dirty wet towel up and put it on the rack and gave us only 1 towel. Came in to clean the room without knocking first and did the same the next day after I already told them. Bad people, bad resort, mediocre food, tiny rooms - save your money!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Sosua Bay Hotel has a great location, immediately adjacent to the famed Playa de Sosua, although access to the beach is rather circuitous. Ocean-side rooms have a charming view of beautiful Sosua Bay and the beach; one could sit on the balcony and admire the shades of turqoise and azure in the water all afternoon. The rooms themselves are basic but clean and adequate. The bed is comfortable, there is a mini-fridge, and both the air-conditioner and the television work (although my remote control did not). It would be nice to have a ceiling fan over the bed, instead of having to rely on the A/C fan during the night. There is plenty of closet space and a large chest of drawers. My bathroom was spacious and there is plenty of really hot water, although there was no stopper for the sink drain (a common problem in DR hotels). The bathtub drain had a stopper, however, and the shower worked well. I was only there for 2 days, but during that time there were 3 power outages, 2 of them lasting over 20 minutes. The buffet restaurant takes full advantage of the beautiful view, but the food lacks the extensive variety one finds at the nearby Casa Marina resort, for example. The veggies were well prepared, but the beef was leathery, and the squid rubbery; of the meats, only the fish filets were a pleasure to eat. A lot of organized activities are scheduled every day, but I saw little evidence of much actually happening, perhaps because too few guests showed up. There always seemed to be more hotel staff around than guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The OLD Sosua Bay/New Topacio Azul Bay is all right. Was there for 4 days and had a Blast. The folks were super friendly, my room was cleaned and the property had everything I needed. They are very liberal minded regarding guest needs and happy to help in any regard. Check in wasn't easy; when they say 3:00 check in, they mean it. Still super nice. If you haven't been there, be warned there are a ton of stairs-the elevators did not work; it is large property. 3 pools with plenty of space to get sun, chill out and vegetate. Bars were plentiful, all on the house. Food was very good and the dining area immaculate. Very short walk to a beautiful beach where all the natural wonders of the country are on display. Booked with DRTravel, so it was a smooth ride. Would and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Once you are there, you won't need to go far for night life. Literally a casino and club across...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My name is Michael G i booked 30 people there for superbowl weekend Jan 29-Feb 3 2013 the last minute.the entire process was very easy and pleasant.Travel club and customer service very good.FOR THE PRICE ,the rooms were well kept.The food was tasty.The staff courtious.Best of all the resort is located on the beach.BREATH TAKING VEIW.Of the 30 guys,i have 15 commitments for next year superbowl weekend already.Reason being we do not anticipate the accomodations will be available past september of this year.Now that the reort has reopened (fromally Sosua Bay resort).Many of my close friend are making reservation for through out the year.For an organization only in business a few months, they are going in the right direction.Good luck.Thank You

Room Tip: If you want a king size bed ask upon making reservation.If you want beach front room ask as well pic...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Topacio Azul Resort? Share your experiences!