“Very fun place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Topacio Azul Resort

You added Topacio Azul Resort to your Saves list
Topacio Azul Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Dr. Alejo Martinez 1 | El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Sosua
Danbury, Connecticut
“Very fun place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel was avery fun place. If you love a place that gives you privacy and actually lets you have fun without so many restriction this is the best place. I had a great time swimming in the pool late a night without all the limits having fun. You are allowed guest over weather romantically or friendly. This place rocks for what it is meant to be. I don't recommend for family actually I don't think Sosua is a family oriented town if you know anything about this place. Is more set for singles or couples that like to party at the many bars and who want a place without too many restrictions...I recommend this to anyone who hate hotels that look like convents this place Rocks. The staff is very helpful and accommodate. they never say no...they truly believe the customer is always right and do just about anything to make your stay a pleasant one...so if you are partying and want an economical place...I paid like 50 all inclusive are you kidding me? beach front hotel well this is one of the best bargains in the world...party on!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Lake Worth, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Enter a beautiful open air lobby with sounds of the ocean below and you would think you hit gold on this stay. Waiting to check in, I was alarmed that a non-guest American was able to get from the front desk 2 room numbers of people he knew and could freely go back to their rooms. Enter our room and we had to laugh at the contrast between the first impression of the lobby and how terrible and cheap the room was. Not even on par with the outside decor. Non potable water in the sink!!! We left for something to eat and see the night life, coming back 2 hours later and surrounded by 3 security guys. My friend who is Dominican and paid for the hotel stay, was pulled to the side and his plastic wrist band was thoroughly examined by the guards--- they just couldn't believe he was staying there. It must have been a stolen wrist band as all 3 turned it over and over looking at it. Finally they let him pass and when I asked if they want to see mine, they smiled and said "No, es OK." They could have just checked the computer to see 2 people were registered and looked at our passport copies that were scanned at check in. Imagine! Next day... constant hounding by a sales guy to check out the resort on the property. Constant, following, uncomfortable hounding that started from the streets in town and continued on the hotel property. Just unreal how bad this place was. Nice lobby though! Next day we went to Casa Valeria and I loved it there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Rooms were clean. Bars were average. I was there during the days mostly sleep and out during the night. The best location for me. But I would have to think twice if I'm bringing the family. Nope. I was wondering if the Sosua bay grand casino across the steet still open. Going back in December. Had a great time there.

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Collingwood, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

stayed there a while back. The rooms were clean, the people were friendly. However, the food was some of the worst I have seen on the North Coast. The reason I said seen, is no one in their right mind would eat the crap they put out on their buffet. It is all inclusive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
S yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel seven years ago for a two weeks all inclusive holiday with my friend and his father I thought it was time that I share my experience.

Location

The hotel is located a short distance from the airport approx (25 mins). within a bustling area with clubs, bars and restaurants on your doorstep.

Hotel

The hotel decor and grounds are well kept, modern and spacious.The rooms were nice with all of the amenities that you would expect form an all inclusive resort. The rooms were cleaned well throughout our stay, with fresh towels everyday. The pool was a good size with good views looking onto the bay.

The main buffet was where we ate most night, however we did try the other restaurants and had no complaints with the food. There were plenty of selection, with show cooking on hand to cook you fresh meat and fish.

Entertainment

I would say that the entertainment was a good standard with lively Dominican dancers and plenty of flashy stuff. Again no problem with this area.

I would say that the service was very good, with the bar and reception staff were always happy to welcome you back after a day out or to serve you a cocktail at the bar.

All in all I would return back to this hotel as it ticked all of the boxes for me. If you do book this hotel, im sure you will have a great holiday.

Thanks for reading.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a very nice location with a horrible management team. I stayed the in July 2011 and enjoyed my days at the hotel. Room was clean everyday and food wasn’t bad nor good. I read the hotel has been closed and I am very happy that this happened. In my stay there I bought a membership, waste of money, which ended up being a scheme. It sounded very good until I realized it was a fraud. I lost close 800 dollars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have to start off with stating: you get what you pay for!
We paid less than $800 for an Oceanview all-inclusive, and that is what we got. I feel we received a fair deal.

Sousa Bay is a very pretty hotel on the coast of this town. It is has much potential. It is centrally located, so you can walk, bike or take a bike taxi for very cheap to many restaurants/bars or beaches nearby.

Overall it was pretty safe in the location the hotel is in, however we did not go out too late in the evening. We were told the party starts after 2am.

Also this is by no means a family resort and there are the occasional "hired" ladies roaming around with the single male travelers.

This hotel is not good for people who would not do well with lots of stairs. I mean MANY stairs. It was quite the workout.

Our room was nothing to complain or brag about, though the electricity did go out several times which required a maintenance worker to visit our room. Our room was in the newer Victorian side (white building) which seemed nicer and quieter, however it was very far away from the main lobby.

The resort grounds were well-kept, however at times at the end of the day staff would walk by spilled drinks, swarming with flies, and garbage. This may be due to that low morale I was mentioning.

The food was great at the al a cartes ONLY, however they are not open every day. With the deal we had, there were no limitations on dining at the al a carte restaurants.
The Buffet was mediocre however the staff really do try their best under bad management. We were told they have not been paid for weeks by the new owner and the morale was down. Victor, Security Manager, was amazing at looking out for us. See him, as he will take care of you. Also see Ordalis at the buffet restaurant. He is very helpful.

The drinks are horrible (tasted like rubbing alcohol). Some local brand I never heard of.
The coffee at the lobby bar is great and relaxing before dinner.

The evening shows at the hotel were HORRIBLE and at times were cancelled due to not enough guests in the audience.

We went in January 2012 and it was a ghost town. It could have been more enjoyable with a slightly larger crowd. However I am glad it was not high season, as we were told by staff that the resort would have been bursting at the seams with the local Dominican guests partying/vacationing.

We made use of the snorkeling equipment for the free 1hour each day, which was great as I was new to it and gave me a chance to practice.

The local beach just right of the resort is a little too crowded for my liking, however you can get super cheap massages ($7 for 1/2 hour) there.
We would escape to Playa Alicia, which is a 10 minute walk, when we wanted a quieter cleaner beach. It is VERY beautiful there.

The downside is Sousa Bay hotel is not attached to a private beach. They have a section where you can use free beach chairs at the public beach. Also you may still have to pay for drinks while using the beach. It is not relaxing at all, IMO.

We took the bus (wawa), for the experience, to a town 15 minutes away called Cabarete which is more amazing in the evening with the trendy, modern bars lining the beach in Cabarete. We took a taxi when we went to Cabarete at night. It was approx $15 one way.

Stay clear of a Spanish casino game with marbles and numbers at the Casino across the street from Sousa Bay hotel. It is a trap and there were some serious incidents with couples playing this game and having to hand over their CCs and passports because they were owing thousands within 20 minutes of playing. One couple was threatened by the casino owners if they did not pay the $5000 owing they would go to jail. The Canadian Embassy had them out on the next flight home to Canada while the couple were biding time with the casino owners. If you are in any type of issue, speak with Victor, with Security at the hotel.

Overall it is a cute town and the resort is in a location close to the available action.
It has its charm if you are not looking for a top rated resort.

We did hear from people staying at Casa Marina that their week was horrible there, so this means to us that Sousa Bay measured up to our expectations since we had no serious concerns or complaints.

Our best excursion was Paradise Island through Mel Tours. It is a long bus ride, but a very good tour at a GREAT price. Approx $65 for the day pp. Mel Tours is across from Casa Marina resort and about a 10 minute walk from Sousa Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: Victorian building oceanvie. Expect stairs and being far away from the main building.