“Went Here for Dinner-Would NOT repeat!” 3 of 5 stars

Piergiorgio Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   El Batey 1, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Miami Beach, Florida
“Went Here for Dinner-Would NOT repeat!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I recently went to Piergiorgio Palace Hotel's restaurant for dinner because it had been recommended to us by friends. The ONLY reason I am giving it a 3 rating is because of its stunning sunset views. The restaurant is open air and located on the side of a cliff with views of Puerto Plata. We felt like we were in Europe! Otherwise, the restaurant deserves a 1 for food and service.
We were a group of 10 people, but the restaurant had only 3 other tables being served at the same time. The food took over 1 1/2 hours to arrive, and when it did, it was mediocre to say the least, especially considering that this was one of the most expensive restaurants we have experienced here in Cabarete. My fish did not taste fresh and upset my stomach for the entire next day. We were all very disappointed.
I would, however, recommend stopping in for drinks and an appetizer just to take in the view. Otherwise, this restaurant is not worth eating at. As for the hotel itself, it looks a bit outdated and in need of renovations. We did NOT stay at the hotel. A real shame...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just returned from 7 nights at Piergiorgio. The staff were very helpful and accomodating. We had a large group, and received excellent service. Delicious food. Fun to swim off the rocks, and a short walk to Sosua beach. cannot wait to return!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night at the recommendation of our tour company, Cheesemans' Ecology Tours. The hotel is located at the end of a street so there's no unnecessary road noise or people who come through. However, the view from here is quite awesome and I think a tour guide brought some folks by to see the view.

We were on the top floor with an ocean view. The room is comfortable, the bed is firm - great for my husband, not so much for me as a side sleeper. However, we had come in from a red eye, so sleep came easily enough. The bathroom is large and it even has a bidet. The shampoo/conditioner is not something you'd likely want to use if you brought your own from the States - I recommend bringing your own, in addition to lotion & soap. Soap is provided, lotion is not.

We had drinks in the evening overlooking the water; that was nice and romantic. Breakfast was good (included) the next morning. The staff is friendly.

There's free wifi in the lobby. The only downside was that they are doing repairs near the pool right in front of the bar plus gradual renovation on the outside of the hotel. Our next morning, they were replacing something on the outside of the room right next door to us plus making repairs near the pool. So there was construction noise wherever I was attempting to relax.

The hotel is within walking distance of the local beach; I highly recommend at least a stroll as it's quite fascinating with all the stalls for souvenirs, food & beer.

I would stay here again. This was my first ever visit to the DR plus the only hotel I stayed in, so I cannot compare it to any other hotel in the DR.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed at piergiorgio for a business trip, but I was struck by how romantic and unique the place was, the kind of place I would have wanted for my honeymoon. It reminds me of greece, but also has a southern plantation style, so maybe greek revival.

You enter through am open white marble piazzo with view of the ocean. There were almost no guests here at the end of May, so there was no wait and the front desk has nothing to do but offer assistance. The rooms are of the oldtime variety with actual keys, wicker furniture, tile floors, and french doors with small wrought iron balconies. They are air conditioned, but nothing fancy. I had some trouble finding a compatible EIectrical outlet for my computer ( bring a 3-prong adapter). But there is free WI-F! The beds are very firm yet surprisingly comfortable. Not luxurious, though, if that's your thing. I did not drink the tap water here, but there were bottled waters in the fridge. There is an old supremely out-of-tune piano in the lobby that someone was playing last night that gave it a Casablanca feel.

The thing that strikes me is the unsurpassed landscape and surroundings (see photos attached.) you could have dinner at a linen covered table in a cupola on the ocean watching the sunset over the caribbean. Attentive service. I cannot speak for the food, as I did not eat here. At sunset you can observe the lights of the yachts anchored nearby.

I cannot say too much about the nightlife here. Reminds me of Key West only a little seedier. But for spectacular sun-filled surroundings in a unique but classic setting, this is the place.

It is cheap-about 60-70 Usd and I don't know why. Perhaps because We are off season (end of may). No one is here!! I had the swimming pool to myself.

Room Tip: ask to have dinner in cupola
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
dnpinva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

This is an exceptional place to stay in Sosua. It is on a bluff overlooking azure waters. The rooms have spectacular views, as does the restaurant. The spiral staircase is gorgeous. It is about a 5 minute walk into town and perhaps a 10 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

my wife and me stayed at this hotel in january and this is a beautiful hotel with stunning views of the ocean.we booked here as a last resort after going to another apartment down the road but after spending one night we couldnt stay any longer.
anyway back to piergiorgios very clean rooms and very quiet ,payed extra for a sea view and worth the extra.staff very polite and attentive,pool quiet and clean .any body who wants to get away from the crowds and noise this is the place for you.
only down side to the holiday was the weather as it pissed down 10 out of 14 days but that was hardly the hotels fault,would go back to this hotel in an instant

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We had booked the Piergiorgio a few months ago and I wasn't certain what to expect based on some of the previous reviews. What I found was a hotel that is a solid 3 stars(out of five) and is desperately trying (and sometimes succeeding) to be something more. Our room, on the third floor and oceanside, was large and the bed was ... firm. Which was fine by us. The cable television got more than 50 stations, including HBO (in English) a CBS feed from New York, and CNN, along with a number of local stations from around the Caribbean. [It rained everyday of our stay so I became very familiar with the stations.] There is free wifi in each room; I counted at least two routers outside the rooms on each floor. Reception in the room was good; if you took your laptop to the lobby, the connection was great. The room was cleaned daily by a staff that was always considerate. The location of the hotel leaves something to be desired. Its at least a 10-20 minute walk to either of the two closest beaches. I thought it a bargain; US$115 a night for two people, including a substantial breakfast. Now, why anyone would want to spend time in Sosua, is another story, but the hotel was totally fine.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
Sosua by the Sea
Sosua by the Sea
#11 of 33 in Sosua
3.5 of 5 stars 117 reviews

Been to Piergiorgio Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!