“Good time good friends” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Sosua
Mississauga, Canada
“Good time good friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We arrived on Jan 16, 2015 we arrived at night didn't really get too see much. First impression of the room was horrifying very outdated but clean then again you there only to sleep. We had hot water the first day then after that it was cold showers. The food was pretty good Al a Carte we went to the Mexican it was good food but the wait was way too long. The buffet had something for everyone omelets were really good. Vendors came in to the resort so if you want souvenirs to take home they had some nice stuff always barter. Met a bunch of good people made a lot of new friends you know who you are Papa Ray, Van, Hunter and the rest of the crew. I would go back to this resort we have plans to meet up with everyone next year

Room Tip: we stayed in room 926 was pretty quiet
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

arrived Jan 6th 2015,, Most times I end up changing rooms 3 or 4 times, but not this time. Booked a ground floor, ocean view room and that is exactly what we got. Yes, a very old outdated room but for the price we paid, if was just fine. Room was cleaned each day and again, the views were great. We were in 1016, and if you don't mind a little noise at night this is a good room. The vendors set up shop every other evening, almost right in front of this room, but I didn't mind at all, I enjoy people watching..lol.. The water at this resort is a bit rough, one day we could not go in at all, so maybe not the greatest for the little ones. We loved it and so did most of the people. If you don't like the surf, there are 3 pools. The town of Sosua is right aside the hotel door (almost)... just don't let your man go out there at night alone...Enough Said about that..lol The food. well,, the buffet was always OK,, the restaurants,, well,, I would rather eat at the buffet. Breakfast was great,, fresh fruit, fresh juices, great omelets, Lunch was lunch,, Dinner was good,, We never went hungry.. Getting back to the room, we had a little fridge which was great and had a bottle of vodka and rum, pop and water in the room when we arrived. A very nice surprise...Would I go back,, well since this was my 4th time to this side of the island,(the 2nd time in this resort) I think next trip will be to the other side of the island.. But all in all,, a nice resort. a little old, never had problems with the A/C or the water or the toilet bowl..

Room Tip: if you don't mind a little noise at night, we stayed in 1016, great ocean view, right next to on...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Greenfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The reviews prepared me for a so-so experience, but I thought this was just fine for the price. I would go again. I particularly liked the availability of shady spots to avoid baking in the sun. I found beach chairs available most of the time. The bubble tubs are nice. The sea can be rough. The food is nothing to write home about, but there is variety. The specialty restaurants have better service, but the quality of the food is really no better. Staff was very friendly and tipping didn't seem to impact the service. I thought it strange that there were no drawers for unpacking in the room. Clothes stayed in the suitcase or were hung in the closet. Bring a washcloth if you want one. Had to ask for shampoo, but it was provided. The room said 'no smoking' but there was an ashtray and my more sensitive roommate sensed the residue of smoke. The smokers are plentiful, but they don't impose on meals, etc.
We went on 2 excursions: Jeep Safari to the Waterfalls and Paradise Island. Both were a lot of fun. Climbing waterfalls is not for the faint of heart. The guides gave an interesting commentary of the sights and history/sociology. They are correct that taking the full van from the resort, without stopping at multiple hotels, gets you to the destination before the crowds. The ride to Paradise Island was 2 hours, so be prepared.
I went without wifi for 7 days and survived!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The resort was really good. Nice and relaxed atmosphere, the food was good as well and the place is clean. The whole staff was really friendly. Esmeralda was entertaining the kids. The thing that could improve is the WiFi.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked this hotel without any knowledge of the area or hotel. The price was very good, so I wasn't expecting a lot. I was impressed. Great property, views, beaches, sitting areas and right outside the front door a town. The room was clean, but dated. The food was fine, to expect too much at this price point isn't realistic. The staff was very friendly and unlike Cuba their hands were not always out. Local beach offered a break from all-in environment. 10 minutes from the airport!
Great place.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Leeds, Engalnd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Well this was my 4 visit to the Casa Marina Reef and i could really see some positive changes hence the extra point on the rating compared to my 3 other reviews of this hotel.
The hotel was the busiest i have ever seen and i travelled there same time last yr so its not the time of yr thats effected the increase of guests...best touch is that the staff from reception to bar to cleaning remembered me ..

reef rooms / cleaning ....now all have hair dryers and they have definitely upgrade the aircon cos at times it was that cold we had to switch it off for a bit ....flat screen tv with bout 5/6 english channels ...but the rooms still only have minimal furniture ...2 double beds dresser with stool, wardrobe with sliding doors that has a shelving unit in them and a table with a chair or two ....patio has a small table with 2 chairs .....the bathrooms still need a bit of work on the decor side but everything was clean and we had hot water every day and night ....our maid was great she tried to alternate the times the room was cleaned so sometimes AM sometimes PM ....the towels were collected every morning and sometimes not relaced till 5/6 but the hotel was busy and we understood that they had to launder them ...and plus we werent coming back to shower till bout then anyway
Food ....now im not a big eater when away but my mum ate every
night and managed to find food that was tasty and edible, they seem to have a weekly rotation on the buffet so by the 10th/11th day mum was getting a bit bored but if ur only stopping for a week then u should be fine ...for me breakfast is a must and here you can
find everything from yoghurts to toast to fruit to fresh made
omelette / eggs.... good new touch was that they now serve afternoon tea, coffee and biscuits at the sun set beach bar every day from 4pm and both buffets was open every day for meals and u could use either one.
Entertainment. ...best I've seen it, they had a full program on
everyday including water aerobics, crazy games and dance lessons ...on most nights there seemed to be a show on at the theatre, apart from Wednesday and Sunday when they do karaoke and Fraday when they have a live band these are held down at the Marlin bar /
disco area
Service ...exceptional although the bars and restaurants were busy the guys and girls serving were working really hard and were always polite and helpful ...when in the buffet was always greeted when we sat down and asked if we would like a drink from the bar and plates were cleared quickly....when at the bar, the guys always tried to
serve in turn and tried to serve multiple guests at once to help with waiting times ...although we never waited more than a few minutes for drinks even thou most night there was only one guy on serving
New Years Eve .....great night, good food, good party, great atmosphere and excellent fireworks
Overall for the price we paid we had no complaints. ...i would now class the hotel a a very good 3 star maybe even a 3+ star instead of just the decent 3 star i would have said before ....if u want 5 star then go somewhere else and pay 5 star prices, if u want a bargin where u will be pleased with what u get for the price you've paid then the Casa Marina may definitely be the place for you

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am just recently back from this resort. 7 days stay with my Girlfriend. No problem occurred.
Service was good. they are not the most smiley, friendly people but they offer good service.
The room was good. no problems. Water ran cold one time but when we informed the reception was fixed. Also the second key was not working but it was fixed after we complained. AC was running. Room was not ocean front but that what we chose!
Food was good. I liked it better than Cuba. I did not have salad and ice for the whole week , only because I was taking precautious not to get sick and I did not! :)
I loved and enjoyed the beach. Sand was nice. Sea was wavy. Bars and hot tubs( water was cold) are right at beach so no problems.
Landscape is beautiful, relaxing.
The only real down side of this resort that does not take me( as a girl) back there is the amount of guys that bother you in and out of the resort. They allow themselves to come forward even if you show no interest. The location of the resort was right at hookers area and lots of nasty women and guys walking around! we did not have the best feeling to go to the ice cream shop nearby or go shopping outside the resort! It was disgusting to see those things!

I did not take any tours with the hotel so can not comment but took a tour outside hotel to Paradise Island and it was beautiful. I had a wonderful time snorkeling. :)

My friend went to jeep Safari through hotel and she was fine with it. Also she got sick in the hotel and the doctor who took care of her was very nice and knowledgeable.
I recommend this hotel for a good 3.5 stars and only if you are not too picky!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Marina Reef? Share your experiences!