“Beautiful Setting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Burlington, Canada
“Beautiful Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Excellent value. The property grounds and beaches were spectacular. The water here can be a little rough but lots of fun if you like body surfing. There were always lounge chairs available on the beach, the cool Jacuzzi pools set in the coral reef were a welcome relief from the heat, The hotel rooms could use some updating, but they were very clean and the housekeeping staff were very attentive to our needs. The food was just OK, however there was always lots of it. The a la carte restaurants are actually all the same restaurant with 3 different menus. We were unimpressed with the service at the a la carte and tired of the bland food, so we ventured out to dinner in town our last 2 nights . Also not impressed with the entertainment.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were similar.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My Bf and I wanted to get away from the frigid temps in Toronto and opted for a last minute getaway. We booked Casa Marina Dec 31-Jan 7th. The hotel is located is Sosua about 15 minutes away from the airport in Puerta Plata which is a bonus. The Short end of it is that I have spent more $$$ and received less. there is Lifestyles staff on property that will try to get you to visit their timeshare 40 minutes away, if you declined they will not pester you.We actually went for a visit but found it wasnt quite our style. IAt Casa Marina the food is actually very good (seasoned very well) with lots of variety. Each night they typically have a themed night (italian, asian, seafood, even a pig roast) but there is always some of the same generic items to get you through if you arent a fan (pasta station, mashed potatoes, etc). the staff is great especially in the food outlets and bars. The drinsk were flowing and so were the smiles. Below I have outline specific areas and experiences during my stay;

Check In:
We were greeted with cold drinks but I didnt find them very tasteful (but a nice welcome amenity). The lobby is small and so the line was a tad bit long, but Ive experienced much longer lines at larger hotel Chains (RUI's & Bahias). When you check in they provide you with 1 room Key,3 Restaurant Reservation Vouchers & The television remote). Some guests were provided towel cards but we did not get these and found that beach towels were already in our room. The key is needed to run the A/C and Television. DO NOT LOSE ANY OF THESE ITEMS AS CHARGES APPLY. We asked for an additional room key so that my bf and I werent tied to the hip but they were not able or willing to. If you lose it, then they will replace it at a charge of course and the other card will be deactivated:)

Hotel:
Great location as it is very close to the airport so we avoided a long commute after lenghtly flight delays (our plane was frozen and had to be defrosted before take off, which delayed us an hour).
The lobby area is quite tiny but sufficient as usually only one set of guest arrived per day. We stayed in room 2204 as a couple yet the room was configured with 2 doubles instead of 1 king. We didnt bother asking for another room as we figured it was what was available and we arent fussy people. Both fo us fit fine on a double bed. We were located directly adjacent to the theatre which surprisingly didnt have any shows at night. The hotel is comprised of 6-7 buildings of 5 stories without any elevators. Thankfully we were on the second floor as I travel quite heavy LOL. I never experienced any distrubtion or noise during my stay and was very happy.

Room:
The beds were comfy but the rooms need some updating. We had a great view of the grounds and pools which were always bubbling wtih people. At night it was a perfect location (far enough from the restaurants that we were not disturbed)

Beach:
Absolutely beautiful, the sand is not as dark and moist as you might think for Puerta Plata. The beach seemed almost exclusive to Casa Marina guests, but the right side is patrolled by security and does not have any vendors, which indicates the left side is the public beach area as there were vendors. The Vendors were nice and didnt bother you if you werent interested in their items.The left side of the beach had many locals as well as guests for a nice mixture.The water was warm and usually calm except out last 2 days the waves were rather strong. If you arent a strong swimming I would suggest staying close to the shore as there were many points where the depth would change quite a bit. Please note: There arent any lifeguards on duty but the hotel security did patrol and update the conditions daily wtih a coloured flag. The flag as yellow or red for the duration of or ur stay.

Entertainment:
On new years eve there was a beach party with a DJ and the hotel amination staff. It was beautiful and everyone was in great spirits. Afterall how crabby can you be on a beach in December at 24 degrees C at night. There were fireworks at midnight and everyone was provided with Happy New Year hats and noise makers. There werent any nightly shows in the theatre but the disco was open at 10 or 11. We checked it out twice and made our own fun but found it usually had a scarce turn out.
I found it quiet boring on the resort after the 3rd night and ventured outside the hotel gates. Across from the hotel is a baseball diamond and local teams would come and play,so I made it part of my nightly routine to watch a view innings after dinner. The shops close around 9:00 and so without a car I was a bit bored.

CON:
My only negative comment is that our room the cocking was peeling along the bathroom counter so I almost lost a few items (earrings, etc) to the black hole. Also interent is at a cost, which I expected but it often didnt work and the frontdesk had to troubleshoot for you. NOTE you must purchase internet access codes per device (1 for a phone, 1 for a laptop or ipod) it can not be used for more than one device at a time. Upon departure BEWARE, they dont tell you that you need to bring your beach towels to the front desk when you check out. If you dont they will threaten to charge you or ask you to go back to your room before allowing you to check out. I found this quite annoying as we werent given beach towels at check in, they were in the room when we arrived which is where we left them.

All in All- I would say that the Casa Marina was a good resort and served our purpose but I will opt to explore other hotels in DR next time. It wont WOW you but it certainly isnt a dump.

Room Tip: Room away from the restaurants seemed to have less traffic.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a great trip with a great group of friends to play ball against some local Dominican teams. It was a great trip and the Casa Marina was all we could ask for. The grounds are truely breathtaking and shouldn't be missed. The food was very good for a 3 star hotel. Where they need improvement are the rooms, they are very dated, but since we only spent a few hours each night sleeping in them who really cares. They were clean and the maid service was great. I'll be back again next year!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My wife and I both got very sick on day 3 of our vacation and although I cannot pinpoint the cause I can say that it was disgusting having to use a toilet with no running water. They turn the cold water off nightly for what ever reason. Beaches and pools were nice. Food not so bad. This resort is downtown.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Northern Ont.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel is located right in the town of sosua. It's about a ten minute bus ride from the airport which is nice. Check in was fast and the bell hop showed us up to our room. You can purchase the safe for 15.00 for the week and to me this is a must. TIP keep the key for safe with you as others during our stay had their stuff and money stolen out of the safe they tried to hide the key in the room but it was found, stuff was taken. Rooms are basic two beds and they are comfy, the water was hit and miss. Sometimes the water just trickled out. For what ever reason they shut the cold water off at night I am not sure why but they do and our toilet would make this crazy loud noise and wake us up. There are no fridges or coffee makers in the room. It's basic but comfy. Also no blow dryer so bring one if you need one. It's 110 volt so I did nt need a converter. They have a few pools and they were all very clean. Three jacuzzi's and they are not warm so don't expect it. It was very nice though as it was so hot out. There is a beach on both sides if the resort which was nice. The waves are big so be careful. Lots of bars around the resort so we were never thirsty. The food was just ok. I ate all week but nothing was fantastic. I did not use the a la cartes after hearing abut them I just did not think it was worth it. The hotel is in a nice location and it's just a quick walk to the public beach which to me is a must go because you can have a great meal and spend the day on the beach is you want. No major waves there and great snorkeling. There is a baseball diamond across the street if you want to watch a game. There is a lot of prostitution there older men with younger ladies and it was everywhere. If your with a spouse they seem to not bother you. We walked around at night and it was nice as there are lots of restaurants. Don't go out with lots of money or wearing jewelry, be smart about it. I thought the hotel was nice but was sick of the food by the end of the week. It's was a great trip for the price. As the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pay the money for the safe and keep that key with you. Do not hide it in your room as it will be fou...
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Was nice to be within walking distance of town. A walk to the Public Beach is nice too. Have ribs at Big Daddy D's on the beach - they are superb!
The hotel is a little dated but clean. I suggest getting a safe key as a few guests were robbed.

The food at the buffet was great! Nice selection. Dont waste your time at the Al la Carte's If you do end up going and get the lobster DONT Sign anything if you are not satisfied with it! I ordered the lobster and couldnt eat it - it was severely overspiced and rubbery. When they realized i hadnt eaten it they asked why. I told them i was very disappointed but couldnt eat it. They requested i sign a piece of paper (I assumed was a complaint record) NOT SO! They charged it to the room after telling me No worries... $26 dollars U.S. for something that i could not eat.

We argued at check out for about half hour until the transfer to the airport. They would not give us the transfer form until we paid. LESSON LEARNED!!

Also as a heads up... most tourists at this resort are french speaking although staff do speak English.

All in all we still had a fantastic time and would return to this resort again knowing what we now know. Each time we travel we learn a little more

Leeds, Engalnd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

this was my third visit to the Casa Marina and yet again it did not fail to please
Reception
Brilliant, Iris at front desk was amazing, all staff spoke English, and were helpful. check in / check out was fast and easy
Rooms
Decent size, 2 comfy beds (yes they are firm but I like this), air con always worked, flat screen t.v with a couple of English/American channels, Always had clean towels they may not have turned up till bout 4/5 but didn't need them till then anyway and always had plenty of hot water.
Decent and plenty of it, could always find something to eat. for me the omelette station at breakfast was the best as nothing like two freshly fried eggs on toast to start the day and the pasta bar on a night was always a good choice
Entertainment
Day time activities were there if u wanted to join in, On a night The shows I watched at the theatre were good, and the nights that were spent being entertained down near the buffet / disco were extremely fun, Disco was so so but never spent any amount of time in it as always went in to town where the real party started
But the best thing about the Casa Marina is it's location, whether your looking out over the sea and watching the waves splash up against the reef or whether your heading off into sosua to have a wonder round, you can't fail to be pleased as you have the best of both worlds right at your finger tip .....and I can't wait to return

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Marina Reef? Share your experiences!