“Great beach, nice resort, Nolitours very disappointing.” 4 of 5 stars

Casa Marina Reef
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 33 hotels in Sosua
Peterborough, Canada
“Great beach, nice resort, Nolitours very disappointing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just returned from a week at CASA MARINA REEF RESORT, I here its closing and a new 5 star is opening for more money. If it is going to be at the same location the beach is the best I have ever swam in. For those going before it closes it’s a 3.5 star and sliding. The beach and pool chairs getting rough, not all restaurants open, food the same everyday. I was in room 2367 a corner room facing the ocean a/c worked great quiet no pool or long hallway echoing. My biggest beef Nolitours Tours were terrible I called ahead to make sure I got the ocean view room I booked, they were surprised to hear I booked Ocean View. The other couple with us and other people checking in complained they didn’t get Ocean View and couldn’t for a day to two until one become available. We booked 3 tours with them. First one Cable car and Rum factory tour, what a joke, go to the rum factory hear some history outside the building, go inside to a 3rd floor balcony over looking the plant conveyor belts then out to the store for a small sample and to buy Rum. Next to a Jewellery Store down town for over an hour, try walking out of the store swarmed by vendors. Then to a town square, an old church and another old jewellery store. No time to shop on your own, always hounded by vendors. The cable car was awesome, hounded by vendors at the top. I suggest call a cab and set up your own tour may cost a few dollars more but won’t waste most of your day. 2nd tour Monkey Jungle, Zip Line and Cabarete. All 3 were nice and you should call a cab and go on your own. Bus was 45 minutes late took us to special restaurant with special menu for Nolitours. We ordered off their special menu club sandwich, nachos and 2 beer $20.00, The couple with us 2 orders chicken wings and fries 2 beer 18.50. They received their food ate it drank their beer, we got our food 1 hour later. We had 1 and half-hours to eat shop and sight see. We spent ours in the restaurant should of gone back to the resort and drank and ate for free. After we now wait for the bus which is an hour late for we have the restaurant call our resort to find out where our bus is. The resort calls back, claims they had a flat but didn’t give us a new pick time. A call to the restaurant to say our bus will be another couple of hours, go do what you want would have been nice. The Nolitours guide at the result claims he knew new nothing about it and would get back to us heard nothing. 3RD tour was cancelled do to weather. I forgot my hat and $60.00 sunglasses at Monkey Jungle (run by Canadians), both the Bus Company and the Nolitours rep said I would get it back never did. Every time Nolitours rep called he claims he got a machine He is from Montreal spoke English but left messages in Spanish, go figure. We leave on Feb. 27,2013 (Dom. Rep Independence Day) We were never told, the road in front of the resort is closed for parade traffic backed up Bus over one hour late, we pack up check out early and sit and wait. Check out time 8:30 AST arrive 5:30 EST in Toronto. Nolitours full of disappointments, waiting and no communication. By the way our Nolitours rep was Philipee, from Montreal.

Room Tip: Pick an end,corner room on the 3rd floor bigger quieter, 2 baconies. Call the resort before you leav...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Visited Casa Marina Reef resort feb 21-28,2013. Great location, clean grounds, poor service from staff, my room was basic with broken and damage bathroom, and room. the ac blow the smell of cigarette to where it's impossible to sleep

the morning buffet was basic, with unfriendly unprofessional staff, the lunch buffet was bad, and limited. the dinner buffet was also basic, not enough seats for guest to eat at all three buffet. The bar staff seems to only serve guest who tip them, they take orders from customers behind you, like your not important. I brought $200 just for tipping but only gave out $5 in tips. compare to cuba where i give away over $150 cuc in one week on tips. i would only return to this hotel if the price was lower than $300. People say DR offers better service and food compare to Cuba, I 100% disagree.i can truly say that Casa Marina Reef Resort, was a disappointment for me, the worst vacation I have had in 28 diff resorts I've visited

• Stayed February 2013
Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel was better than I was expecting. Rooms were great, they were very clean but simple. The beach was small but very nice. Food was good. The small pools in the side of reef were amazing and so much fun. Spent most of the time there. We traveled off season so some parts of the resort were closed and their were a lot of locals staying there. I liked that you could walk out the front door of resort and you were down town sousa. Walking around and seeing things were fun. Just not after dark!

Room Tip: Ground floor is perfect if you can get right by the pool cause you just go out the sliding door and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I dont recommend this resort its awful....lounge chairs are mostly all broke and old...its dirty...under staffed....doesnt have enough bars open....no bar close to pool....theres 2 resorts and u all eat at 1 buffet..fullllll....not as friendly at this resort....lobby is tiny and goes right out to the street and theres bikes constantly zoomin by so smells like diesel...shows stunk and was only a few and were just kids....nothin at all was fancy....the grounds werent even that nice...disappointed .....our ocean view was not even near it....we went to barcelo yr before and it was 10 times nicer and we paid less....beware unless u just want to go uptown and party...most just go uptown....

• Stayed February 2013
Wallingford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

First let me start by saying this is a beautiful place. The grounds are well kept and they clean them all the time. The pools are kept clean and they are not very busy. The people that work here are just great. They are very accomedating if they can understand english which I only spoke. They cleaned every day sweepinping and mopping the floors and making beds. I would leave a few bucks for them every day. Even the food was not as bad as people talk about. You had your omlets or cereal or french toast for breakfast along with fruit. But one let down no
D-CAF coffee. They told me it was in the jar next to the big pot ,but it was Nescafe regular coffee.
not d-cafe. Lunches were fine, you could go to the buffet or the Sea food rest. for hamburgs and hot dogs and fries or the buffet for everything else. And if you wanted a beer or wine just ask they will get it for you. The resturants were fine The Italian was good The Sea Food Rest was good. We ate at the buffet the rest og the time. They had a Steak night and a seafood night and a Dominican night and a Mexican night. all pretty good. Now I am not one who will take a picture of dirt on the wall or a bug in the room so I will not complain about that. My complant is simple. I asked for a poolside room a week before we got there by confirming it to them. Our first room was looking at the dump across the street in the back. I refused the room. They got me another for the night and moved me the next day to poolside. the room was simple I mean simple. First no refrigerator,No dressers,no hair dryer,no ice,no soda,no face clothes, and the air did not work good, and 2 double beds. I am a big guy and my fiance and I were not sleeping together. You could refill your water bottles in the hallway from a tap but the water was warm. No ice to be found except at the bar in your drinks. So if you wanted cold water at 11:00PM at night forget it. Weekends were busy I would say alot of local people come for the weekends and stay there. I have read that there was alot of hookers there, but I can't say I saw any. But there are alot of good looking Dominican Ladies that some people might think were but I would say no. If you are looking for alot of intertainment at night this is not the place for you. Other than a few shows put on by the dance group of the Casa Marina which was bad, there was nothing. They could use a CASINO. The disco sucked. All and all we relaxed for the first time in awile and we had fun together, and thats all that counts. In my opinion and we have been here before. The property is great the food is fine the accomidations with the remoldeling sucks. If your funds are low you will be fine. But :Spend the extra cash and go some place where the ammenities are better than here. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2410 on the left side of the pool facing it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good location with great nightlife and restaurants close by. Resort food is average with pretty much the same stuff every day, chicken, fish, veggies at the buffet, not very creative but the pasta bar was good. I never bothered to try any of the a-la-carte restaurants. There is lots of variety with reasonable prices in the area though. My room (2166) was great, on the ground floor directly facing the beach with a nice shady patio to sit and enjoy a cold Presidente and a cigar. Nice firm king sized bed, flat screen TV with lots of channels and a fridge to keep cold water in, AC worked great although I had it off most of the time. The maid gave me 2 bottles of water every day but others said they only got water the first day and had to buy it after that. It is a bit run down but overall the grounds and beach are nice and they try to keep it as clean as possible and compared to other places I have been at in the Caribbean it is not that bad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Spent a week here with my wife. This was the first trip ever for us out of North America, and we knew not to expect North American atandards.

Room - clean, functional and was made up everyday. A/C wasn't working, but they fixed it after i mentioned it. - no complaints

Hotel and Grounds - Amazing grounds, pools, beaches. There are two beaches....one to the left which is more public and one to the right which is private....no vendors. Waves were great to play in and they are generally more rough on the right side....be careful of the crashing waves. Pools were clean and there three of them. Lot of gardens, trees....really nice. There are a few things i noticed....like the sliding door was hard to open, or the tub could use some new cocking, a broken tile. Nothing I was gonna ger to excited about. They had just replaced the matresses and while we were there they were repainting and fixing rooms all week long.

Resturants - I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy. I don't like fancy, or NEW things....and I ate well. Always 3 or 4 types of meat....chicken, beef, pork and fish and each meal they are prepared different. The pork one night was an entire roasted pig stuffed with a grear seasoned rice. Lots of deserts....of all kinds, eclares, cakes, fruit. Food was definitly better then I was expecting. Al a cartes......we tried the mexican and italian.....both were very good. At the mexican resturant....the stuffed pastry......gotta get that for desert...amazing. Snack bar was decent....always had pizza, burgers, hot dogs, fries ect on hand. It was basic but did the trick.

Bars - Not all the bars were open on the resort...i assume becasue they where not at full capacity. but since we spent all of our timeby the beach we had 3 to choose from. The beer was good and the mixed drinks were ok. I am a rum guy.....i didn't care for the rum they had....personal preference thats all. The bar tenders were not shy of pouring the booze. The disco bar was opened the longest....til 1 or 2 depending how busy there were.

Staff - they were great. I can't say one bad thing about them. Poilte, friendly......they treated us very well.

Vendors - if there was one thing i didn't care for...it was the vendors that were allowed on the resort grounds. While walking to dinner....you wouls pass 10 vendors all trying to get your business....and they are good at it. You just gotta be firm and say No...they will get the hint. THey would set up shop 2 or 3 times throughout the week.

Town - This was probalby one of the most enjoyable parts of this resort. It is litterally right in the middle of El' Batey or Sosua. Great night life, cheap drinks....all the bars in town use filtered Bagged ice and purifiled water. Saw with my own two eyes. When we got in Saturday night...it was just after 11pm and when we checked in and got our room we changed and headed into town. We had a few drinks at one club....on to the next for a few more. Drinks around $2. Take the same procautions you would if you were anywhere on holidays.....dont flash money or wear your rolex. We were treated very well when we were downtown.....we spent 2 or three nights downtown.....and checked out the shops during the day.

Activities - I am a cetified scuba diver but hadn't dove in about 8 years. it was something my wife always wanted to try but she was a bit scared. They gave her a 2 hr in pool session and took us out into the ocean on a 2 part dive with a couple other new divers. They had 2 dive masters and a potographer (also a dive master) in the water plus 1 more staff for 5 divers. They were extemely professional and always kept a close eye on my wife and the other new divers. They have 2 dozen dive sites close to the resort.

Overall we had a great time....we met some great new friends and are planning on next years trip together. If your looking for a good time, on a budget this is a good place. If your looking for something a little higher class......keep looking

tip #1 Dinner off the resort. at the front of the resort turn right and head to the first intersection then turn left. Walk about 2 minutes and on the left you will see a great steak and seafood place. The food is amazing, beef is Alberta Certified beef, booze is top shelf. There were 6 of us that had apps, full course meals, 3 drinks per person, the resturant bought another round for us and it came to $330 total. It is better then the KEG restuarant here at home....the portions were larger.....easily a $600 plus dinner

Tip # 2 Take in the town....well worth it. Walk around during the day and get the fell for it. Jolly Rogers, Britania (canadian owned) and Coach's Corner (hocky was playing on the big screen). were all good places to go. Doing this during the day makes it easier to go back at night. Talk to your tiur rep....he can put you into touch with one of the bell hops.....buy them a few drinks and they will be your tour guide for the night.

Room Tip: We were in the middle building on the 3rd floor......after a week....the 2nd floor would have been g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Marina Reef? Share your experiences!